Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

A quick question about the Luke\Vader duel in ROTJ

Page: 1 of 1
 Nancy Allen``
02-18-2006, 7:01 PM
This has probably been asked before, but why did Vader stop Luke from slaying the Emperor and proceeding to fight him? Was he simply defending Palpatine? Or what he preventing Luke from going over to the Dark Side by slaying Sidious?
 Justus
02-18-2006, 7:17 PM
I've always seen it as a sign of Palpatine's over confidence, he knew Vader would block the blow, so he really had no worries. Palpatine's plan was to have Luke kill Vader so he could have some young Sith blood (an added bonus of not having a life support suit.) It also plays out well, when Vader finally turns on Palpatine his face is one of pure shock and horror, as if it's something he never counted on.

It could also be interpeted as Vader having mixed emotions about his son going to the darkside.
 Prime
02-19-2006, 9:00 PM
He was defending Palpatine at that point, as Palpatine had not yet sold him out.
 Nancy Allen``
02-23-2006, 3:00 AM
Sold Vader out? The only way I think the Emperor may have done that is by trying to kill Luke, which Vader didn't want. Is that what you are referring to?
 Prime
02-23-2006, 12:02 PM
"Take your father's place at my side"
 Lieutenant_kettch
04-14-2006, 1:48 AM
definately a matter of loyalty to palpy, if you were trying to slay my master, i would surely do my best to stop you.
 PoiuyWired
05-01-2006, 3:14 PM
Nope... it is the Sith's way for the master to be slain by his little ilk... palpy just did not think Vader would do it then and there.
 TSR
05-02-2006, 6:32 AM
maybe that lightning short circuited his brain...
 MachineCult
05-02-2006, 10:48 AM
maybe that lightning short circuited his brain...
What lightning? He got electrocuted ages after the scene in question.
 TSR
05-05-2006, 8:21 AM
meh. static?:xp:
 playloud
05-05-2006, 4:25 PM
If I remember correctly, the commentary for the 2004 DVD edition has Lucas mention that Vader wanted Luke to kill the Emperor (Vader lost most of his potential when he was burned on Mustafar and could not longer defeat the Emperor). Both the Emperor and Vader wanted Luke to kill the other. If this is true though, Vader should not have stopped Luke's blade.
 Steve-O Kreesh
05-16-2006, 7:47 PM
Then why did Vader stop Luke?
 MachineCult
05-16-2006, 7:51 PM
Maybe they planned it all along, Palpatine didn't really want Luke to strike him down, he just wanted Luke to get angry enough to try.
 Commander Obi-Wan
05-16-2006, 8:04 PM

Because he still remain loyal to him.
 The Source
05-16-2006, 8:24 PM
Sold Vader out? The only way I think the Emperor may have done that is by trying to kill Luke, which Vader didn't want. Is that what you are referring to?
Before Vader brings Luke to Palpatnie, they converse slightly on Endore. What is intresting, Vader sounds like he knows he is going to die.

At the beginning of their battle on the Death Star, Vader stopped Luke from killing Palpatine due to the fact he was defending Palpitine.

When Palpitine say, "Kill your father, and take his place by my side." was the defining moment, which Vader realized his master was truely out to finish him.

Vader tried to pusuade Luke earlier to kill Palpatine, and to fight along side him to rule the galaxy. In essence, Vader was going to betray Palpatine in the first place. However, Luke convinced his father that he was still a Jedi, but he needed Palpatine to tip his set of cards.
Page: 1 of 1