Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Module Editor Won't Save or Build.

Page: 1 of 1
 goldberry
02-14-2006, 1:41 PM
Ok, I've been working on a private mod for a while now, and without any problems. I opened up my mod in the module editor to build the .mod file to test it. That's all I did today- tried to build the .mod file. It gave me the following message:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at kotor_tool.clsGFF.WriteFile(String path, String filetype)
at kotor_tool.frmModule_Editor.miSave_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at kotor_tool.frmModule_Editor.BuildModFile()
at kotor_tool.frmModule_Editor.miBuildModFile_Click(O bject sender, EventArgs e)

<snip>

When this happened, the .git file for the mod was reduced from 16kb to just over 1kb. I used Norton Goback to return th .git file and try again, but the same thing happened.

Waddyou think, Fred?
 Fred Tetra
02-15-2006, 9:25 AM
Ok, I've been working on a private mod for a while now, and without any problems. I opened up my mod in the module editor to build the .mod file to test it. That's all I did today- tried to build the .mod file. It gave me the following message:

(stack trace)

When this happened, the .git file for the mod was reduced from 16kb to just over 1kb. I used Norton Goback to return th .git file and try again, but the same thing happened.

Waddyou think, Fred?

Have you ever edited the .git, .are, or .ifo files by hand? It is possible that you entered a value that is out-of-range for a field in one of those files. Is the error consistently reproducable?
 goldberry
02-15-2006, 1:14 PM
Never, EVER have I edited any one of these files by hand.

And this error won't stop appearing!

Here is a link to the zipped up folder: http://www.geocities.com/goldberry2006/001CCS.zip)

I realise you're busy, but could you please help me get to the bottom of the problem ASAP?

Just to clarify, everything from your site is up to date, so I have all of the new KOTOR tool and stuff.
 Fred Tetra
02-15-2006, 1:24 PM
I'll take a look at it for you... but it will cost you some Jelly Babies.

EDIT: The problem is that the .git file is corrupted. If you delete the merchant (store) and re-add it, this should fix the problem.

There's no way to know what caused the corruption without being able to reproduce the exact steps needed to create a corrupt file, but most likely it is due to a bug in either the module editor or the GFF code.

Another way you can try to fix these things is to open the file in K-GFF, then save it back out. Because it parses the file in a different manner, it may be able to "fix" the problem by re-writing the file based on the structures contained therein. An indication that this has occurred is when the file size drops after you save the file back out.

Attached is the built mod file (001ccs.zip) and a fixed .git file (001ebo.zip). You will probably want to check the position/orientation of the store.
 goldberry
02-15-2006, 3:32 PM
Thanks, I'll try.

EDIT: It worked. Thank you.
 Fred Tetra
02-15-2006, 3:37 PM
Thanks, I'll try.

EDIT: It worked. Thank you.

Now, about those Jelly Babies.... :)
Page: 1 of 1