Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Difficulties with opening script files from KT.

Page: 1 of 1
 Darkkender
02-11-2006, 1:24 AM
Hey Fred I've just installed the newest version of KT. The problem I'm running into is on double clicking a source script it is trying to locate nwnnsscomp in my overide directory. It then errors out on me. It used to be that KT would open ".nss" as a text file in your built in text viewer. It used to also do the same with byte code of the ".ncs" files which it also does not do now.

Are these changes a result of your built in script editor that you were building in? Does nwnnsscomp now belong in overide?

I think that covers the questions for now.
 Fred Tetra
02-11-2006, 10:56 AM
So when you double-click on an NSS in the "Script, Source" tree branch, this occurs?
 Darkkender
02-12-2006, 1:28 PM
So when you double-click on an NSS in the "Script, Source" tree branch, this occurs?

Thats correct, I went ahead and extracted the nwscript.nss file for K1 into K1's overide & K2's nwscript.nss to K2's overide. And everything worked fine for loading the script files both compiled and source script into the textviewer.

On a related topic, I tried assigning Tk's Dlgeditor and loneferrets kscripteditor as external alternate utilities and KT continues to use the internal conversation editor and textviewer. Also following setting the external utilities it corrupts the settings.xml for KT. The settings.xml causes KT to have one of those numerous .NET crash bugs that you have seen people post the code for. By deleting settings.xml and having it re-initialized everything will work fine. However both be the external conversation editor and script editor features by themselves and together produce this result.
 Fred Tetra
02-13-2006, 10:26 PM
On a related topic, I tried assigning Tk's Dlgeditor and loneferrets kscripteditor as external alternate utilities and KT continues to use the internal conversation editor and textviewer. Also following setting the external utilities it corrupts the settings.xml for KT. The settings.xml causes KT to have one of those numerous .NET crash bugs that you have seen people post the code for. By deleting settings.xml and having it re-initialized everything will work fine. However both be the external conversation editor and script editor features by themselves and together produce this result.

I tested the most recent release of Kotor Tool to see if I could duplicate the External Text Editor for the Project Manager setting problem. Here's what I did:

* Tools | Options... menu (Options dialog comes up)
* Selected the Project Manager tab
* Clicked the Text/NSS Editor radio button
* Clicked the "..." (browse for app_ button
* In the "Select Text Editor you wish to use" dialog, selected "C:\windows\notepad.exe"
* Clicked "Open"
* Clicked "OK" on the Options dialog

With the settings saved, I launched the Project Manager and opened an existing project that had .nss files in it. When I double clicked on a .nss file, it opened in Notepad.

If you can back up your settings.xml, then "create" one that causes Kotor Tool to crash by selecting an external text editor for the Project Manager, please send it to me via email.

Finally, remember that the external editor is just for the Project manager; other Kotor Tool functions that need the built-in Text editor are not affected. (That's why the option appears on the Project Manager tab, after all, heh heh; same goes for the external Dialog editor setting as well.)
 Darkkender
02-14-2006, 1:10 AM
I'll give it a whirl. I've only encountered the crash after shutting down KT and restarting it later. I hadn't tried the external editors in the project manager come to think of it.
 Fred Tetra
02-14-2006, 9:20 AM
I'll give it a whirl. I've only encountered the crash after shutting down KT and restarting it later. I hadn't tried the external editors in the project manager come to think of it.

On a related topic, I tried assigning Tk's Dlgeditor and loneferrets kscripteditor as external alternate utilities and KT continues to use the internal conversation editor and textviewer. ...

But isn't that what you were referring to here?
 Darkkender
02-14-2006, 11:43 AM
I had one of those smack my head against a Brick wall moments when you said the following.

Finally, remember that the external editor is just for the Project manager; other Kotor Tool functions that need the built-in Text editor are not affected. (That's why the option appears on the Project Manager tab, after all, heh heh; same goes for the external Dialog editor setting as well.)

mostly because I hadn't paid that close of attention to the name of the tab. I was just clicking through the tabs and finding that feature of yours without putting more effort into where they were hiding. After starting Project Manager that feature worked all fine and dandy in it's original design. However I am still getting the corrupted settings.xml. Once the archive is done uploading I will PM you a link with the fouled up settings.xml and a screenshot of the error report to help you in debugging.
Page: 1 of 1