Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Module Editor Problems

Page: 1 of 1
 WaymondDH
02-09-2006, 4:52 PM
I'm not sure if I should have started a new tread for this but I wasn't sure So...
The KOTOR tool is great but I have repeatedly had problems with the module editor. Since I have not until recently had the time to work on a whole area mod however I have just ignored it. When I try to open a project in the module editor I get an error
Object reference not set to an instance of an object

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at kotor_tool.frmModule_Editor.Draw()
at kotor_tool.frmModule_Editor.miOpenProject_Click(Ob ject sender, EventArgs e)

<snip>

If I hit the continue button the module editor comes up but there is no map.
I have tried downloading a new bfd file and the Map shows to be supported by module editor in the tools menu.
If I try to extract for module editing any module even those which the tools menu says are supported I get a popup that says a map is not yet supported for this module. If you could help I would greatly appreciate it and once agin thank you for the great tool.
 Fred Tetra
02-09-2006, 10:41 PM
I'm not sure if I should have started a new tread for this but I wasn't sure So...
The KOTOR tool is great but I have repeatedly had problems with the module editor. Since I have not until recently had the time to work on a whole area mod however I have just ignored it. When I try to open a project in the module editor I get an error
Object reference not set to an instance of an object

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at kotor_tool.frmModule_Editor.Draw()
at kotor_tool.frmModule_Editor.miOpenProject_Click(Ob ject sender, EventArgs e)

<snip>

If I hit the continue button the module editor comes up but there is no map.
I have tried downloading a new bfd file and the Map shows to be supported by module editor in the tools menu.
If I try to extract for module editing any module even those which the tools menu says are supported I get a popup that says a map is not yet supported for this module. If you could help I would greatly appreciate it and once agin thank you for the great tool.

So, a few things I need to know:

* version of Kotor Tool
* module you're trying to edit
* which maps you downloaded (small, large)

Also, did you do the following:

* Extract a supported module (one that doesn't say "A map is not yet supported for this module") using the "Extract for Module Editing" button to a "module project" directory, with all check boxes checked? (I like to name mine after the module for clarity, like '104per')

* Download the latest MapInfo.bfd and place it in the Kotor Tool directory?

* Download the map(s) for the module and place them in the Kotor Tool\Maps directory?

* Launch the module editor (F1 key), then Open the "module project" directory?

If trying these steps doesn't get you going, please also post a step-by-step of what you're doing; remember more detail generally yields a faster resolution! :)
 WaymondDH
02-10-2006, 2:33 PM
So, a few things I need to know:

* version of Kotor Tool
I am using the latest version of KOTOR Tool (1.0.2210.16738). I downloaded it yesterday from your site.

* module you're trying to edit
I have tried to edit several modules but the one I'm interested in is m10aa. I have both maps of that module.

* which maps you downloaded (small, large)
I have both maps for:
m02aa
m02ac
m10aa
m10ab
m10ac
I have the large map of m08aa, and the small map of m11aa.

Also, did you do the following:

* Extract a supported module (one that doesn't say "A map is not yet supported for this module") using the "Extract for Module Editing" button to a "module project" directory, with all check boxes checked? (I like to name mine after the module for clarity, like '104per')
I have tried to extract all of the modules even those I know I don't have a map for using the "Extrat for Module Editing" button and I always get "A map is not yet supported for this module".

* Download the latest MapInfo.bfd and place it in the Kotor Tool directory?)
I downloaded the latest MapInfo.bfd and placed it in the Kotor Tool Directory yesterday right after I downloaded the latest Kotor Tool.

* Download the map(s) for the module and place them in the Kotor Tool\Maps directory?
I have not redownloaded the maps I will try that.

* Launch the module editor (F1 key), then Open the "module project" directory?
When I do that the error comes up. If I press continue the editor appears to have loaded the module but the map area is blank. I will try redownlading the maps and see if this resolves the problem. If not I will try to include all the details I can. Thank you for your quick response. :)
 Fred Tetra
02-10-2006, 4:03 PM
Ah, if you get that message, then that means either:

* The MapInfo.bfd file doesn't have the required data for that module
* The MapInfo.bfd file is in the wrong place
* There's a bug in Kotor Tool

Your Kotor Tool folder should look like this:

http://kotortool.starwarsknights.com/images/forum/KTFolder.jpg)

Thank you for your quick response.

No problem!
 WaymondDH
02-10-2006, 4:44 PM

(image removed for clarity)

My Kotor Tool Dir looks Exactly Like that except that I have an additional directory called "Finished" where I place things I'm finished working on.
I will download the MapInfo.bfd file again and let you know what happens.
I downloaded some maps from your site earlier but havent had a chance to try them yet. I will download some other maps and try several tonight.
 rgdelta
02-10-2006, 11:10 PM
Also make sure you have the latest version of .net 1.1 the latest service pack I forgot if it is sp1 or sp2 but I had similar problems until I upgraded to the latest .net service pack.
 Fred Tetra
02-11-2006, 11:00 AM
My Kotor Tool Dir looks Exactly Like that except that I have an additional directory called "Finished" where I place things I'm finished working on.
I will download the MapInfo.bfd file again and let you know what happens.
I downloaded some maps from your site earlier but havent had a chance to try them yet. I will download some other maps and try several tonight.

DON'T put your projects in the same folder as Kotor Tool. Besides being generally bad form, when a new version of Kotor Tool is installed, it CLEANS out the directory. Another prominent, highly-skilled modder (who should know better, heh heh) did just this and ended up spending a lot of time with a data recovery program. This is why you have a My Documents folder! :)
 WaymondDH
02-11-2006, 5:20 PM
Also make sure you have the latest version of .net 1.1 the latest service pack I forgot if it is sp1 or sp2 but I had similar problems until I upgraded to the latest .net service pack.
Thanks rgdelta I downloaded the service pack (SP1) now I can edit maps in the module editor.
when I use the "Extract for Module Editing" button and I still get "A map is not yet supported for this module" but now if I say "Yes I want to extact it anyways" exerything works fine from that point on.

DON'T put your projects in the same folder as Kotor Tool.
Thanks Fred BTW thats why I created the finished dir in the first place, I haven't had that problem since.:)
 ChickenLeader
02-14-2006, 7:32 PM
Ah, if you get that message, then that means either:

http://kotortool.starwarsknights.com/images/forum/KTFolder.jpg)

No problem!

I dont have Template Tags anywhere
 Fred Tetra
02-14-2006, 8:59 PM
I dont have Template Tags anywhere

Then you haven't needed them yet! :)
(They're created by Kotor Tool when the module editor first needs them; they speed the display of the tag labels. Next time you might want to indicate when you think something is a problem; I am assuming you think that this is. <grin>)
Page: 1 of 1