Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Opt Making Help

Page: 1 of 1
 Haven's Judgement
08-10-2001, 10:59 PM
I've been trying to make a opt for XWA, and it's gone decently well. But right now I need to know how to do the texturing. I've tried using Extract to do it, but that doesn't seem to work, all I get is a runtime error everytime. I modified a copy of a normal ship using Rhino3D, if that helps at all. I'd appreciate any help I can get about how to do this. Thanks.
 JM
08-11-2001, 5:42 AM
Hellfire, lost the first attempt at a reply. :angry:

Anyway I am not sure what you are trying to do. As far as I know the only way to texture an OPT is to take the DXF you have modified or created and import it into ACE or OPTech. Then in either program apply the textures and then (eventually and after adding other things like weapons, defining what parts are what (bridge, engine, hull...), hangar entry/exit points...) saving as an OPT.

I didn't even know that you could import an OPT into Rhino3D without going through the "Convert OPT to DXF" stage.

Good luck, it is nice to see that new people are still starting to make OPTs.
 Dragonflight
08-13-2001, 10:42 AM
I'm gonna sound like such a newbie. http://www.xwingalliance.com/forums/smile.gif) Which I am, of course.

I finally picked up a copy of XWA earlier this month, and wondered WHY I didn't pick it up when it first came out. This *smokes* XVT (which may have been a contributing factor to my not wanting XWA when it came out a couple of years ago).

However, there's a few things I've been looking to tinker with. I'd like to add some of the ship designs West End Games came up with for their Star Wars game, plus a few modded designs I've come up with over the years. Thing is, I have no idea how to edit ship hull design, or how to tell the game where the weapons are, and WHAT they are. From what I've read, I assume the ability exists, but since I've never edited any OPT files in XWA before, I don't know where to start. <sigh>

Also, I've been itching for ages to find SOME kind of Star Wars flightsim that took the same approach as the Wing Commander Privateer games. It looks kind of like one of the mission downloads at xwingalliance.com has a purchase-ship capability. Do you know if that can be adapted to suit?
 JM
08-13-2001, 9:32 PM
Correct myself. Apparently OPTech v0.6 (just released) can import OBJs which have texture co-ordinates so now I'm wrong about the possible ways of texturing an OPT http://www.xwingalliance.com/forums/smile.gif)

OPT files are made by combining a DXF (model) with 256 colour BMPs (textures) and adding other information such as weapons hardpoints in either ACE or OPTech.
Further information on the ship is held in the executable (speed, hull rating, shield rating, warhead capacity..etc) which can be edited with either BinHexEdit or MXvTED.

Further information, some OPT files, and some links at http://www.btinternet.com/~jmdare/) (which is my site)
Page: 1 of 1