Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Planetside (first MMOFPS) is about to become free

Page: 1 of 1
 T10
02-01-2006, 11:29 AM
From here:
http://psforums.station.sony.com/ps/board/message?board.id=psnews&message.id=4323)

New players will be able to download the PlanetSide “Cannon Fodder” demo and will be able to play for free through Battle Rank 6. Once they complete BR 6, they will be able to continue to play the game, but will not progress to Battle Rank 7, On exit from the game, they will be taken to a website that will allow them to upgrade to a monthly subscription, which includes the base game, the expansion pack (Core Combat) and the Battle Frame Robotics (BFRs), the giant robot units. Depending on skill, it can take a player up to 30 days to complete BR 6, which will give them plenty of time to see many of the cool aspects of the game. Additionally, players can continue on in the game at Battle Rank 6 for the entire 12 month promotion period.

And, if you need a reason to get ready to DL planetside, a community member has also made a wonderful video (this is unofficial) of the game. See it here: http://psforums.station.sony.com/ps/board/message?board.id=psdiscussion&message.id=802684&view=by_date_ascending&page=1)

P.S. If this article has been posted before, or if this is considered too advertisment like for the mods, just take it down. I won't have a problem with it.
 TheLaughingMan
03-23-2006, 6:50 AM
O man, thats a total disappointment to me :P i thought the topic meant that it would be free online play for the full version. i used to play it, it is SSOOOO much insane action with so many choices on how to play. If it weren't for my loathing of SOE i'd still be playing it. its just about the only game they can't screw up.
 MachineCult
03-23-2006, 9:14 AM
I'll def. be playing that, I saw it on TV years ago and went on the net to find it not realising that you had to pay for it, lol.
Page: 1 of 1