Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Do you want KOTOR 3 to be a longer game?

Page: 1 of 3
 RobQel-Droma
01-31-2006, 1:53 PM
Basically, how long do you want KOTOR 3 to be? Do you want it to be the same format and length as the other two (around 7 planets), or do you want it to be a lot longer since it is the end of the trilogy?
 Jeremia Skywalk
01-31-2006, 1:57 PM
On one side i wan't longer and realy enjoyable story, which you can play for months. On other hand. I wanna play at least light and dark side and maybe some alternative ways, so it would be darn long if the game would be realy long. so i realy am staying neutral on this one.l
 RobQel-Droma
01-31-2006, 2:02 PM
One of the downsides of a longer game might be an in-coherent story.
 XoRRoX
01-31-2006, 2:14 PM
I usually finish the KOTOR games in about 40 hours. Maybe some hours more, but if it is to long, then the story will be to lengthy.

So i would say a planet more :)
 dede_frost
01-31-2006, 2:15 PM
I would like a game that I cound enjoy at least for like, 20 days on my first time playing. At about 2h per day, 5h pre planet, I'd have to say from 8-10 planets. But it also must have story elements that are difficult to unlock, so it would get me playing for many days beyond that, and still finding new stuff.
 JediMaster12
01-31-2006, 2:38 PM
I wouldn't mind having one more planet than the formula dictates. Maybe it could be the final showdown planet.
 zadi
01-31-2006, 3:10 PM
I wouldn't mind a longer game. After playing both KOTOR games many times I found that it's pretty short once you know where everything is at. Maybe it should be a two-part DVD game each being as long as KOTOR2 with the 1st DVD/game/portion focusing on the aftermath of Exile's decisions which wraps up the missing levels from the 2nd game and the 2nd DVD/game/portion being new with new characters. If I remember, one of the Final Fantasy games did something similar but it bounced from the past to the present settings in the game.
 The Doctor
01-31-2006, 3:11 PM
Yes, as a matter of fact, I would like a longer game for KotOR III.
 ChAiNz.2da
01-31-2006, 3:24 PM
I wouldn't mind a longer game, but if they don't have a storyline to support it.. then no thanks. No need to drag out a nightmare longer than it needs to be :xp:

However, if it's a good immersive & driving storyline.. then it could be twice as long and I wouldn't complain :D

I wouldn't want extra "fluff-n-stuff" just for the sake of gameplay length...
 Lantzen
01-31-2006, 3:39 PM
I would want a longer playthrogh.

And RobQel, who have say its the end of the games? We dont know what will happen in Kotor3.
 The Doctor
01-31-2006, 3:42 PM
He never said it will be the last KotOR game. He's making the (valid) assumption that the devs will be smart and put the current storyline (ie Revan) to bed, and, if they do a fourth game, have it based on a completely new character.
 Bob Lion54
01-31-2006, 3:53 PM
I think about 55-60 hours/playthrough would be good. Thats assuming the story works well.
 Alkova Lexis
01-31-2006, 4:10 PM
A lot longer..
 Jeremia Skywalk
01-31-2006, 4:11 PM
I am quite sure that this will have three parts, as allmost everything related to star wars counts (if we count original trilogy seperate from the new one). I mean. Jedi Knight, Jedi knight: Jedi outcast. Or almost anything else, realy, so i wouldn't hope too much on kotor4.
 Killwithhonor
01-31-2006, 4:40 PM
I would love if the game took me atleast 50 hours to beat, atleast, and about 9-12 planets and maybe some bonus levels!
 Clone L68362
01-31-2006, 5:59 PM
Definitely. K1 set the mold, TSL was too short IMO, so I want at most twice as more content. One of the things I would really like is a way to get to Level 30+, and lots of side quests would be good. Would also give you more choices for items, and just be more fun.
 RobQel-Droma
01-31-2006, 8:27 PM
At the most I would just want about three or four more planets, and maybe a couple of Yavin Station-like areas. I do want the game to keep the original style, with the beginning planet, central planet, then four different planets, then end-game, but I don't see why you can't stick another planet in that mix, or have a pair of planets like Onderon and Dxun.
 Emperor Devon
01-31-2006, 8:59 PM
I wouldn't mind a longer game, but if they don't have a storyline to support it.. then no thanks. No need to drag out a nightmare longer than it needs to be :xp:

Quoted for emphasis! :D
 Clone L68362
01-31-2006, 9:26 PM
Of course there would be a storyline for why you go to more planets. What, you think you'll search for something like, a powerful artifact throughout the game and go to 4 other planets for no reason?
 Point Man
01-31-2006, 9:28 PM
I would like the game to be longer than TSL, but not just because you are dong worthless stuff. The additional time would need to be spent advancing the story or providing additional role play. Just sitting at the work bench wading through additional possibilities for upgrading equipment or hacking and slashing through an additional 4 rooms to every level would not add to the game. Here's my list of suggestions to make KOTOR 3 longer, but not boring:
1) More opportunities for role playing. I want more conversations that really matter. However, please do not make 15 minute conversations. It was really irritating in TSL when I would be playing late at night and I could not end the game and get to sleep because I was stuck in an interminable conversation.
2) I would like to see a mix of side quests involving party members (like K1) and nonparty members (like K2).
3) A few more planets would be great, both for side quests and the main quest. I would like the main quest to be a bit longer, but not just because you add more pieces to the puzzle. Adding another star map to find in K1 would not have been so great, but adding something else that would enable you to get to the Star Forge would have been good.
4) Please, let there be no level cap! I don't want to sit in the Korriban tomb for hours exploiting the unlimited experience glitch so I can level up to infinity, but I would like to see how high I can go if I take advantage of every opportunity for xp I can find. I'm sure the devs can make it so the game knows how to make the bosses match your level when you come to fight them.
FWIW
 RobQel-Droma
01-31-2006, 9:30 PM
Yeah, but if the storyline is just dragged out, Clone, like there is no real story importance why you are going to this planet, then it isn't going to be good. True, you might have a reason for going to those planets, but you might not have a reason to be staying on those planets and doing all this other stuff.

As for the bigger modules, something I would like to see is different levels. For example you would walk around in a building or platform, and then walk down and go into another bunch of rooms and platforms, right underneath the others.
 CountVerilucus
01-31-2006, 11:31 PM
If you guys like long a$$ games, Elder Srolls IV: Oblivion i think is comming out soon. Though im much more of a Star Wars fan, because the Star Wars saga is better. You guys should look into it to pass the time for when Kotor 3 comes out, thats what i will do. What would be a cool game is rpg style of gameplay in TES4:Oblivion integrated in a Star Wars setting (highly improbable, but we can dream). Benesda should look into it, they would make tons of cash. Sorry for talking about a different game, but it's a good idea (and an unlikely one too, but oh well). and you guys look like you could use something to pass the time for when Kotor 3 comes out which i hear is in two thousand-F***ing-seven! i cant wait that long, i need to do rpg gaming, and i need to do it NOW!!!
 RobQel-Droma
02-01-2006, 12:45 AM
To add to Jimbo Fett's list, I would like the main quest on each planet to be longer and more complex. Whatever it is that you are trying to find (Star Maps, Jedi Masters, whatever), it should be more than "talk to this and this person, find this datapad, head to this area and fight all these enemies, and then there you are" quests. Maybe not quite like that, but that was about the level of it.

What I would want is quite a bit more searching, talking to people, meeting with people who know about what you want, traveling through different areas and figuring out what is going on. Maybe even to the point that the area you land at isn't even the right location, your objective is somewhere else on the planet. That was one thing that made no sense to me: How come you always landed in the right city?
 Vibro
02-01-2006, 4:46 AM
I definitely want the next game to be longer. It's never taken me more than 25 hours to complete either of the games (and quite a lot of that is when I've left the game on while doing other things).

I'd like to see around 10 planets. Obviously, each planet would be crucial to the storyline.
 Darth Windu
02-01-2006, 4:59 AM
Definately longer. I can complete KotOR and TSL in around 20 hours, so 50 hours would be nice. Of course, the problem with such a long game is if the intensity and interest isnt held, then it will completely fail.

Mind you, im playing Neverwinter Nights with areas that, especially compared to KotOR, and massive and very involved. I've been playing for around 20 hours or so and I'm only on chapter 2 of 5, so it can be done.
 Sabretooth
02-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Either a 50-60 hour story, or 30-40 hour story w/ heavy replayability.
 JediMaster12
02-01-2006, 11:35 AM
I guess most people do want a longer gameplay. I'll lump myself with that group mainly because I just like playing KOTOR alot. For the first few days, it took me forever to work out all the puzzles. If KOTOR 3 has extended gameplay and is that intense then it would probably take me months to play through the whole thing once. That's a game I like:)
 jerrome1966
02-01-2006, 1:18 PM
I would like to see KoToR 3 longer yes.
More planets and more people in your party.
 igyman
02-01-2006, 5:30 PM
I'm gonna agree with all of you - I too want a longer game, more planets, a complete story, but I just hope none of the locations will be as boring as Peragus. I mean, the plot on Peragus was good, but it was too long. So much time spent wandering around in a place with only two persons to talk to and a bunch of droids.
 Darth Sun_Tzu
02-02-2006, 5:02 AM
Yes, i'd like the game to be longer but i'd just like to see more to do on each planet. Also i'd like more than two posible ending to the game. Which would give it more replayabilty. Not that i wouldn't replay it over and over anyway.
 JediMaster12
02-02-2006, 12:35 PM
Kind of like on Dantooine in TSL, you could kill the Master or not. I like that and it would affect your alignment too.
 Darth Sun_Tzu
02-02-2006, 12:51 PM
I was thinking of atleast 3 outcomes for every planet.
 ElizLestrad
03-17-2006, 7:56 PM
Id love the game to be longer.

For example:

Kotor I the storyline could have been longer. It seems to me that when you play an evil character (in any game) that the story always ends just when its starting to get good (In this instance taking over the Starforge)

Kotor II same thing. I would have loved to see you be able to have the option of pretending to side with Queen Talia or General Vaklu and then right when the civil war breaks out you deploy and claim Onderon for the Mandalorians (Bwa ha ha). Or maybe instead of blowing up the Ravager, capturing it for the Mandalorians (Can you tell I like the Mandalorians?)

Its not that I have anything against lightside characters, I dont, but the endings always seem to have less thought put into them or to somehow come of as anticlimactic (citing Kotor II ending where your whole team basically shatters and you go back into exile. Kotor I was actually pretty good.)
 †Saint_Killa†
03-17-2006, 11:42 PM
80-100 hours of gameplay in connection to the whole story, long side quests which regards to your party members and so on.
 Mossa
03-18-2006, 6:41 AM
Guys! More content requires more Time... more Money.. And more unneeded work... As in I have never played as Dark Side in any of the two games, even hrough their content is in them I just believe its plain stupid to be evil...

A matter of fact, I think it will take years to make a game with Dark and light and Alternatives, plus some new feature's, you cant really expect just buy a sequel and it have the same way of being as the first one...
 †Saint_Killa†
03-18-2006, 7:14 AM
As in I have never played as Dark Side in any of the two games, even hrough their content is in them I just believe its plain stupid to be evil...

Not that I want to be evil. Being a sith just looks cool.

Oh all right I admit it. I wan't to dominate the world once in a while or be feared.

:firemad: F.E.A.R. ME!!!!! :firemad:
 Vaelastraz
03-18-2006, 8:53 AM
I would want it to be longer if the quality doesnt suffer from that.
But is is very unlikely, i mean besides Morrowind and Oblivion which game lasts longer than Kotor?
And Morrowind is just plain boring imo.
 Darth InSidious
03-18-2006, 2:32 PM
Yes, but only if the planets are interesting. I don't want to be bored out of my mind by some of them (a la Peragus, Telos, Korriban, most of Malachor V, a lot of Nar Shadaa, etc etc). And as Chainz mentioned, it mustn't compromise the storyline.
 Achilles
03-18-2006, 2:52 PM
I personally think that the length of gameplay for both games was just about equal and just about right.

What I would like to see for K3 would be a change up in how they present the areas. It seems too much like they try to give each planet equal playing time. What might be (I repeat, might be) more interesting is to shorten up the planets and add depots and pit stops that have varying side quests the progress as the game goes on (I'm thinking Yavin Station from KotOR here).

Also, I would like to see a little more "travel" on each of the planets. Take Nar Shaddaa. The entire city is a planet, yet somehow everything from pazaak champs to crime lords could be found in a relatively small area. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed that planet, but make me see the sights a little (ala Taris).
 Darth InSidious
03-18-2006, 4:52 PM
I personally think that the length of gameplay for both games was just about equal and just about right.

What I would like to see for K3 would be a change up in how they present the areas. It seems too much like they try to give each planet equal playing time. What might be (I repeat, might be) more interesting is to shorten up the planets and add depots and pit stops that have varying side quests the progress as the game goes on (I'm thinking Yavin Station from KotOR here).

Also, I would like to see a little more "travel" on each of the planets. Take Nar Shaddaa. The entire city is a planet, yet somehow everything from pazaak champs to crime lords could be found in a relatively small area. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed that planet, but make me see the sights a little (ala Taris).
Quoted For Emphasis :)
 Det. Bart Lasiter
03-18-2006, 4:58 PM
I'd like to see the modules be a lot bigger and have the quests take longer to do. I don't want the developers to just make the game's core storyline then dump a bunch of crap on top of it.
 DarkLord152
03-18-2006, 8:31 PM
I think it should be around 10-12 planets and about 2-3 hrs a planet so it takes forever to finish the game but still have a fun time doing so.
 †Saint_Killa†
03-19-2006, 7:09 AM
I think it should be around 10-12 planets and about 2-3 hrs a planet so it takes forever to finish the game but still have a fun time doing so.

2-3 hours of 10 -12 planets. You have to do better than that bro. It's almost as long as K1 and 2 depending on how you play. Lets say 6 major planets with 4hours of major plots in the story an 5 planets with lots of bonuses and new NPC story plots as side quests 1-2 hours each so you have almost 40 hours of game if you know it all and play 24/7 errrm... 20/7.
 Angelos Kumani
03-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Longer not necessarily...more complete yes. I thought where KOTOR 1 surpassed KOTOR 2 was depth of the gameplay/story outside of the main plot. Taris was a perfect example - Three seperate areas on one planet, multiple plot lines, huge number of quests/side quests that were all necessary to complete to move the story along. I like the idea of creating NPC party member areas that have specific quests in order to advance their story - if the devs could come up with a way to intricately tie those sidequests into the main plot that would be awesome - example: in KOTOR 1 needing to rescue Zaalbar before having him join the group and swearing the life debt to you - and then having his back story so intertwined with your mission to get one of the star maps - that was perfect!
 shinyjedi
03-22-2006, 8:01 PM
I'd like to see a much longer game, and a much more free-wheeling game as well. I'd like to see, if not more planets, certainly more on each planet.
By now, it can't have escaped Obsidian's or Lucasart's attention that there's an aggressive modding community out here. Let's have a game who's main quest(s) are a bit longer than the last two, but with a much more expanded availability for side quests. Say, "here's Coruscant, here's where the main quest takes place, here's where the main quest items are located." pause for dramatic effect. "Now see these hooks. They lead to other areas, which you can use this INCLUDED tool set to populate. And see this here? This lets you detach the main quest items and put them into the new areas you've built. Hope you have a large hard drive :) Suddenly, Coruscant has changed from a 5 hour level to a 35 hour level and the devs only added simple walkmeshes and tools, thereby not dramatically increasing developement time.
Give us some blank slates, a meaningful modding suite, and a way to tie them to the main modules more easily and the galaxy's our oyster!
 RedHawke
03-22-2006, 9:42 PM
Give us some blank slates, a meaningful modding suite, and a way to tie them to the main modules more easily and the galaxy's our oyster!
Never happen. LA won't let this happen, if they were going to there would have been some official support from the beginning, but there isn't. So no toolkits or fancy suites or any places meant for us to add stuff in...
 TiGroundcrawler
03-23-2006, 6:40 AM
Longer, Better , Uncut
 Darth InSidious
03-23-2006, 1:05 PM
I'd actually like a mix of big and small modules, alongside the larger planets in general. No particular gameplay reason, 'cept it would allow for a lot more stuff to happen when you enter a certain area, and of course, it makes modding easier :xp:
 †Saint_Killa†
03-24-2006, 7:51 AM
Maybe enlargen modules to make it longer. Whole Coruscant with different districts where you could actually use a transport to move around while enjoying the view.
 TSR
03-24-2006, 8:11 AM
what would be cool is KOTOR MMORPG. kick ass.
Page: 1 of 3