Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Romance Options for Kotor 3

Page: 1 of 2
 Phaedra36
01-29-2006, 11:17 PM
I think that the dialouge should be the top priority for the next one, after all it IS an RPG and so many plot holes were introduced at the end of Kotor 2.
In Kotor I, Carth and Bastila were kinda left behind as Revan went into the Outer Rim. I do think there should be re-united to end their misery :(. Some complaints about the romantic dialouge was it seemed like it was never going to come and then BOOM, Revan and Carth/Bastila were madly in love.
In Kotor II, I only played through once so far but concerning Atton..He was very flirtatious and talkative at the beginning, and just holed up toward the end. He had one of the most surprising stories and unforunately, only hinted at liking your character to other npc's and never coming out and saying it like Carth or Bastila.
So I would like some more flirtatious elements, maybe you and that special someone takes a day off admist all the war and enjoys a day out on the town with no interruptions, just pure rp. And I would also like more dialouge choices to ones that are labeled love interests (perhaps once every level), and it having a definite end to perhaps all 3 couples. It doesn't have to be horribly mushy, but definitely it needs some closure.
Thoughts anyone?
 Prime
01-30-2006, 9:18 AM
Personally, I think heavy romance plotlines in stories with Jedi seem a bit out of wack, and I'd rather the game not get too involved in that stuff.
 Darth Sun_Tzu
01-30-2006, 9:30 AM
Personally, I think heavy romance plotlines in stories with Jedi seem a bit out of wack, and I'd rather the game not get too involved in that stuff.
I have to agree, for me romances are a bit a waste of time.
 *Atris*
01-30-2006, 10:41 AM
NOOOOO!!! Romances made the game great, and added a excellent element of role playing!
KEEP THEM! MAKE MORE!

But more so that you don't have to pursue them, (as in jade empire, you could end up with a mixture of romance options, or do none)
 Vladimir-Vlada
01-30-2006, 10:56 AM
I was thinking of an idea that concerned the entire crew. That your relationship with them could affect the outcome of the story. Who falls to the dark side and who makes what kind of a decision, depending on the personality. Romances should be included.
 Jeremia Skywalk
01-30-2006, 11:17 AM
I think romance could he neutral ending (oh pleeeease make neutral ending) Lol i dunno, but well remember Jolee, he was neutral and said that luv is ok. so i think if you would be neutral, you could beat the boss, than say "Screw u, galaxy" And go live peacefull life with ur love. Cammon it'd be great i think, on other hand that could be a bit of waste of developing time, so yeah i just hope that they just make it good.
 JediMaster12
01-30-2006, 3:28 PM
You know love is not a bad idea. Passion which can lead to rage and fear can be learned to be controlled. Love itself in the end will save you. While the fear of loss is a path to the dark side and possession can lead to jealousy, love is one of those emotions that has its good and bad affects. If we did not have love, we could embrace cruelty but on the other hand love can bring about jealousy. It can also give a certain strength like something worth fighting for. Anakin had the right idea, he just let his fear and jealousy and hatred dictate his actions and ended up killing that which he loved.
Romance in the game is ok in my book. I personally thought it had a flair of Star Wars in it considering the films had romance and love. I often thought of what happened to Revan and the love for Bastilla or Carth.
 MachineCult
01-30-2006, 3:33 PM
If there is romance then I don't want it to come in at the very end of the game like KotOR 1.
Bastila: "I love you with all my heart". I couldn't help but thinking to myself, Oh... OK... well I guess i'll just do the last 2 minutes of the game then...
 Phaedra36
01-30-2006, 3:38 PM
Well I was just thinking of that idea from FFVII. Maybe you could win prizes by completing different mini-games with your love interest. I still think that Kotor I and II romances should be final though. They are still so left up in the air. Will Carth/Bastila ever see Revan again? I mean it could be at the end and have a nice reunion. What about the exile and their love interest? If it is continous and the characters from I and II are connected (both Exile and Revan had to go to the Outer Rim) so it would only be rational to gain some closure from their relationships with each other. Doesn't have to be too heavy, but I would like to see Revan and Carth/Bastila definitely be together as well as the Exile/love interest.
It could only take up a few cutscenes since you would have your own character and love interest to have.
Being in love on a RPG can produce many elements as well. What if two Jedis fell in love with you? Lust leads to love, love leads to jealousy, jealousy leads to hatred, hatred leads to the dark side. It does not have to be mushy like I noted before, but being in love with another NPC can bring up so many different elements that would make it exciting. I mean, what if the two jedis fought over you and one npc permanently killed the other npc?
Any more thoughts concerning this subject?
@MachineCult Lmao I know. I would like to play a good amount of the game having your love interest and your character have already declared their love for each other. Perhaps later conversations could deal with what you wanted to do after all this, not sure.
 jedijones
01-31-2006, 7:24 AM
I'd like to see some romance between Bastila and Atton (if Revan was male and the Exile female.) They've both been left behind by someone they love and are lonely... :monkey4:
 Ztalker
01-31-2006, 7:43 AM
I think it's a must for K3.
In SW episode 3, the story was about relationships. In Kotor 1, it was about relationships. And K2 didn't have it, so it felt kind of...empty.
If they want to reach the sell records of part 1, they have create better NPC-conversations.
 BaabaduHeHe
01-31-2006, 8:03 AM
Well, i think that in the KotorIII romance, there should be some ''hate'' too! Like , if the enimy ''evil guy sith'' falls in love with the player... that would be so cool! It has been never used before, and its so romantic! *sigh* .... I hope that happens.. lol :P
 Aurora Merlow
01-31-2006, 8:22 AM
i for 1 don't mind a bit of romance in the game, i mean it certainly added something to Kotor1 that was lacking in 2. Not sure it has to be as full on as some have suggested maybe just a sidequest, and definitely think they need to tie up the lose ends from 1 and 2, but that will hopefully come when it ties up all the other questions. I think K3 needs better NPC conversation options than K2 anyway. But a bit of romance is a given for 3 in my opinion
 Seamhainn
01-31-2006, 8:38 AM
Me thinks romance is a must, too.
 RobQel-Droma
01-31-2006, 11:08 AM
Romance is ok. I'm leaning more with what Prime said, I don't think they are really essential or fit well with the Jedi. But I am fine with just a little bit, as long as they don't overdo it. But I kind of like what Vlad said.
 JediMaster12
01-31-2006, 12:06 PM
I see. Love was a non essential in the movies but they put it in anyway and it fit. Yes too much makes it look silly but a little with feelings gradually revealled, now that is a good romance. It could also affect the crew, the preference of one crew member and the others can have their say.
 darthsidious666
01-31-2006, 12:23 PM
I don't think there should be romance in KotOR 3. I just think there are more areas of the game they should focus on. Not to mention it was pointless in KotOR, and will be pointless in KotOR 3.
 RobQel-Droma
01-31-2006, 12:27 PM
I see. Love was a non essential in the movies but they put it in anyway and it fit.

Are you talking to me?

If so, don't get me wrong, I just think that in a game like KOTOR there are more important things - I don't want it to be a "top priority" like the thread starter said.
 Killwithhonor
01-31-2006, 3:49 PM
I was thinking of an idea that concerned the entire crew. That your relationship with them could affect the outcome of the story. Who falls to the dark side and who makes what kind of a decision, depending on the personality. Romances should be included.
I would love this, it would be a great step for the Kotor series, it would give you an even more selection on what you get to do, maybe even be able to select your crew, that would be cool 2! I cant wait
 FiEND_138
01-31-2006, 3:58 PM
Going to have to agree with this as well.
 Clone L68362
01-31-2006, 5:01 PM
I want the option of turning down an NPC that has fallen for you over the course of your journey. Then they can run away and later in the game you meet them as a Dark Jedi. I'd say more...but I don't feel like it right now.
 JediMaster12
01-31-2006, 5:42 PM
Are you talking to me?

If so, don't get me wrong, I just think that in a game like KOTOR there are more important things - I don't want it to be a "top priority" like the thread starter said.

Yeah I was. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that romance should have the shotgun seat, that goes to a completed storyline. What I was trying to get at is that is could be a little bit of a flair, a nice little extra; one of Darth InSidious' "doohickeys"
 MachineCult
01-31-2006, 5:58 PM
I see. Love was a non essential in the movies but they put it in anyway and it fit.
Love was essential in the movies, Anakins fall to the dark side and the birth of the twins wasn't essential to the movies? It is exactly what the movies are about.
 ForceFightWMe12
01-31-2006, 6:53 PM
I say that a (good) romance plot would be the best for this one. Of course, Exile, and Revan would have to come back and reunite with Mical/Atton/Briana/Visas and Revan would have to com back for Bastila/Carth. I think that there should be more than one romance option, as in KotOR II, but it would have to have much more...effect on the game, as in KotOR I. And it would have to be written well, like in KotOR I...
 RobQel-Droma
01-31-2006, 7:18 PM
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that romance should have the shotgun seat, that goes to a completed storyline. What I was trying to get at is that is could be a little bit of a flair, a nice little extra; one of Darth InSidious' "doohickeys"

I know, I don't have a problem with what you are suggesting. My main point in my earlier post was agreeing with Prime on the fact that I don't want KOTOR to get heavily involved in that kind of stuff. I don't really have a problem with the romance stuff itself.
 Emperor Devon
01-31-2006, 7:55 PM
A romance option would be a nice addition, but I don't think it's essential. A good plot and well-writen characters are far more important.
 Point Man
01-31-2006, 9:18 PM
My own personal opinion here is that love should play a major part to resolving things for the light side. That does not necessarily mean "romance." Maybe it would have a "been there, done that" feel, but I would like to see an ending a la ROTJ where love provides the motivation and strength for overcoming "The True Sith." Let Jolee Bindo be vindicated!
 Clone L68362
01-31-2006, 9:55 PM
That is kind of a universal theme, that love is like...good and good is better than evil...so romance should probably still play a good role.

Still would rather romance takes the turn of having an NPC fall in love with you, and you can turn them down.
 Carthaholic
02-01-2006, 2:14 AM
I'd like to see romance in KotOR 3 but something well done and with good dialogues, just like in the first game but even better preferably. They could push things a bit futher by, I dunno, having us complete a specific series of quests to advance in the romance plot. Also they could have some dialogues trigger only when you are with your love interest in a certain location on a planet or something... They could have love triangles as well and ensuing rivalries and disputes between NPCs (they missed their chance to do that in the second game methinks). Could be interesting, no?
 Dylan Klay
02-01-2006, 5:56 AM
I agree. I think it'd add a dynamic, with the love triangles. Maybe, you get betrayed by the loosing end of the love triangle? Kinda like what Anakin hinted that Obi-wan did with Padme. They might make it like the old Baldur's Gate romance line :) hehe.
 Prime
02-01-2006, 9:51 AM
Love was essential in the movies, Anakins fall to the dark side and the birth of the twins wasn't essential to the movies? It is exactly what the movies are about.And the love of a son for the father that redeemed Vader in the end.
 JediMaster12
02-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Prime, you and MachineCult got me on that one. What I meant was that while romance is part of it, I don't want it to be a big deal. I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of KOTOR 1. I believe Rob said something along similar lines.:)
 Phaedra36
02-01-2006, 6:48 PM
Ok, in general dialouge should be one of the top priorities. After all, the Kotor series is an RPG game and almost 100% of the time, there will be love in that game. Besides, one of Star Wars major themes was love because of Anakin like other people have said. I will stress again, it doesn't have to be mushy. "Oh I love you sweetie pie! Lets go and cuddle and make cutesy faces at each other."
What I am saying is that according to the Sith and the Jedi, love is one of the most dangerous things. I think that the next Kotor should have betrayal, should have jealousy, revenge, lust, anger, and love. After all, it seems like the Outer Rim is infested with dark side planets so these elements should come into play. Temptation should be one of the underlying themes of Kotor 3 in my opinion considering the setting they are in.
So I think that admist all that chaos, some love should be formed and I think you should be able to love someone also on many different levels. Sisterly love, the love best friends have over each other maybe?
And above all else the already existing romantic plots should be filled out to satisfy the average rper such as my myself. :) They don't need to be married or have babies, just I would like to see some reunited and stuff.
 Darth Moeller
02-01-2006, 8:58 PM
I would rather not have any romance options at all. Or, depending on who the characters are, I wouldn't mind some dialog options like in K1 with a male Revan always talking about how she can't resist him, etc. But if the romance is more in-depth, I'd rather it be with your party members and not your Jedi PC.
 Phaedra36
02-01-2006, 9:11 PM
But it is going to be silly if lets say old members of Kotor I comes and there is no dialouge between Revan and Carth/Bastila. Obviously you are going to see Revan in the 3rd one or Kreia wouldn't have talked about it and the Exile going to the Outer Rim, you know? There at least has to be a few cutscenes. I mean, what I would be satisfied with was a few cutscenes between Revan and the love interest..Exile and the love interest and the main focus would be the main character. Like you know how some characters if they are in the same party talk together for a couple of times and then not really talk anymore?
 Sith_Reven
02-05-2006, 9:06 PM
Kotor needs the romance stuff. Kotor1 wasn't bad for it but Kotor2 was lacking with Visas for male and atton, disciple and visas for female. It is a good sidequest in the games for a change and needs to stay. They should go indepth in kotor3 with the romance, and with a choice of party because everyone has their own likes, even if it is only a game. Yeh, good idea
 Jae Onasi
02-05-2006, 11:10 PM
I think a little romance lightens the whole thing up a bit and gives you a break from hack and slash. I'd like to see more of those witty little side comments between PC and NPC and NPC/NPC interaction, too. I don't think romance should be the main thing, and I certainly think you should be able to opt out if you don't want to roleplay that way (my son is at the age where kissing is just yucky, so he'd love to not have to be subjected to anything romantic). However, from a roleplaying standpoint, some romance in a style more like K1 than TSL would add some fun for a lot of us.
 JediMaster12
02-06-2006, 1:49 AM
So Phaedra36 you want attachment but you want it to lead to jealousy and betrayal? Sounds a bit soap opera to me but I catch your drift about not wanting it to be mushy. Who really wants that?
 Meatbag
02-10-2006, 6:26 PM
Heck, even make K3 PG-13 and make it more complete on the romance side.
 Phaedra36
02-11-2006, 2:13 AM
So Phaedra36 you want attachment but you want it to lead to jealousy and betrayal? Sounds a bit soap opera to me but I catch your drift about not wanting it to be mushy. Who really wants that?
That's not what I am saying >.> All I said was love can lead to many things, which it did include in other Star Wars movies and games. Mercy, Betrayal, Revenge, Jealousy..etc. It doesn't have to be like for example..
Bastila: No Revan is mine!
Random person: That is not what he said to me last night!
Bastila: *whips out her lightsaber and almost kills random person*Now I gave into my anger, I switched to the Dark side again! Mwahaha.
What I am trying to say Jedi Master, is that is all the movies are based on love really. An underlying theme of love on top of action-packed, lightsaber swinging action. I am not saying Love has to dominate the game, but it should have a strong impact and yes, it could add a few dramatic surprises from the more.. negative effects love can bring.
On the other hand,Love can also lighten up the mood (like other people have said) when you are immersed in such a deep and dark storyline.
 Sith_Reven
02-18-2006, 11:51 AM
So I guess it does sound a bit like a soap opera. But that is what makes it good. I'll tell you what made EIII Revenge of the Sith so good it that it was dark and tragic and it had the romance in it, but not mushy romance..seeeee and the kotor storyline needs that extra aspect. It adds so much to the story and I would venture far enough to say that it would influence the characters decisions. It may sound like I am referring to Anikan's actions and in a way I am. Your character can fall to the dark side because of things like failed romance or it could be that one decision that the character makes to remain on the path of light and in the end helps the jedi blah, saves the day, blah blah, and is the hero with their chosen party member or "significant other" at the players side. Catch my drift??
 JediMaster12
02-18-2006, 3:37 PM
I catch it and see your point. Romance should not be mushy but add a bit of flavor because it was a part of the original films. A completed storyline takes the shotgun seat though.
 eye_of_osiris02
02-19-2006, 1:19 AM
Romance is a must have for KOTOR3. I loved having the ability to tease and embarrass (and--whether it be the right word or not--seduce) Bastilla in KOTOR1 and I found the end very rewarding no matter how brief it was. KOTOR2 felt empty with the pitiful plot between your character and the Handmaiden, and the Atton bit doesn't even count. If having a romance plot IS just to much to ask for then at least give the character the option of flirting.
 Cygnus Q'ol
02-20-2006, 10:48 AM
I catch it and see your point. Romance should not be mushy but add a bit of flavor because it was a part of the original films. A completed storyline takes the shotgun seat though.

I believe you are right. I also believe that these romantic avenues and a really well done, completed storyline are one in the same.

As far as KotOR is concerned, I don't believe you can have one without the other.
Without the romantic connections and character involvement, this would be nothing more than an empty shell of an RPG, with nothing much to care about except credits and killing.

I hope the makers of K3 will get back to this mindframe when the storyline is created.
 Chira
02-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Well, hello there...

I think we need to see what really happens when someone in the party "screws somthing up"... Why NPCs can't be temporary ?
For example... If PC break someone's heart, he or she can leave the party or
attack him(her) if the wound is really deep...
In kotor and tsl, NPCs don't think much with their own head ( except Kreia )...
 Cygnus Q'ol
02-20-2006, 11:21 AM
Ahhh, direct feedback from romantic miscues, interesting.
That could have a great impact on influence, I'll bet.

That could also open an avenue for side quests. :)

Too cool.

Welcome Chira.
 Chira
02-21-2006, 5:35 AM
I can't recall if there was any of this "NPC chaos" things in other RPGs so this could be one reason more for lucasarts to earn more fans :fett2:

Anyway, this is hard for programming cause there would be much more endings in the game :)
 JediMaster12
02-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Not if it were a side quest type of thing that could unlock opportunities to question about the past. That was an interesting idea about the feedback.
 Chira
02-22-2006, 2:15 PM
Well, I was thinking about simple love. This can be one of the reasons for
temporary NPCs like in some older RPGs. It's more dynamic and therefore,
it is more interesting. Side quests can be based upon these things but even
without them, just the fact that you can screw up your own party (and maybe
lose a potential good jedi or soldier) is fun :)
Your ideas are good too, i'm in love with them :) but that makes the game more
complicated to be realized...
 JediMaster12
02-23-2006, 10:46 AM
That is why I don't bother with the technical side of things. It's just better to dream and imagine what will happen. Love is not really that simple. In fact it is very complicated when you try to put your life in perspective and maintain your relationship. I'm not saying that I'm an expert because I've never been in a relationship like that but my point is that love is part of the human condition and it's not just a simple matter of one loving another, it encompasses the whole self. Everything in balance; the lesson of yin and yang.
Page: 1 of 2