Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Bryant's & Grey_Ghost's Mod V2.0G

Page: 1 of 1
 Grey_Ghost
01-25-2006, 6:06 AM
********NEWEST VERSION 2.2G FOUND HERE (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2003860)********)
This is Release 1 of Bryants & Grey_Ghost's Mod. This mod edits the EaW Demo WITHOUT tampering with the exe file in any way.

Version 2.0G Changes:

--Change | Reason / Notes--

Added Mara Jade | She is untextured, but otherwise working (Space=Shuttle Land=Unit)

Empire can build Hutt Palaces on Atzerri, Nal Hutta, Ryloth, & Tatooine for Bounty Hunters

Rebels can build Cantinas on Abregado Rae, Atzerri, Corellia, Nal Hutta, Ryloth, & Tatooine for Smugglers

Removed Pirates | The game would tab out to an error box whenever attacking them. Didn't crash, but was annoying all the same

Removed Rebel Artillery | Cause Imp don't have any

Removed Rockets from T4B Tanks | Rebel AI used it like artillery on Turbolaser, staying out of range. No Imp unit can do that.

One Building per Type per Planet | Icon list gets so big that other icons get pushed off screen, and are unacessable.

Removed V-Wing | The Z95 is old enough

All space stations use LEVEL 1 Model, Hardpoints, & Health | Overall Balance & Bug fix

Level 2-5 Space Station Shield Increase(Value/Regen) | To Make up for level 1 HP, Don't let those bombers go after your shields! (Hopefully higher Regen number is better)

Removed Outdated Acclamator | It looked out of place among the Rebel scum

Planets now only have 6 build slots at the most | The Tatooine land map only supports 6. Higher slots led to False Victories & Crashes

No more Greyed out icons.

Removed Magnepulse Weapon | Causes crash on invasion

Many Bug Fixes | All buildings have models(but not all textured), no invisible units etc.
Planet Shield Generators placed correctly.
No double space units (The 2nd Tartan for example had tissue paper for armor).
Empire can now build Officers
Etcetera.

Space Retreat Hardcoded

If you find the game too hard even on Easy, then delete the file named DIFFICULTYADJUSTMENTS.XML in the XML directory
The game will use it's default settings

The Tech 1 versions don't make any sense unit wise | I was lazy...sorry

Not all planets support higher level Starbases!

Game will sometimes crash when Exiting the game while playing Rebels | I have no idea why

Tornados can drive you insane | I loathe those Frelling things! If only I knew how to remove them.
Tatooine Land Map gets on your nerves eventually 8P

--HOW TO INSTALL:--
Copy the XML Folder that is in the Zip to your Star Wars Empire at War Demo\Gamedata\Data\ Folder

To Play as the Empire Copy the Files From ...Demo\Gamedata\Data\XML\Empire Full Tech\ and past them into the XML Folder.
To Play the Level 1 Empire Copy the Files From ...Demo\Gamedata\Data\XML\Empire Tech 1\ and past them into the XML Folder.
To Play as the Rebels Copy the Files From ...Demo\Gamedata\Data\XML\Rebel Full Tech\ and past them into the XML Folder.
To Play the Level 1 Rebels Copy the Files From ...Demo\Gamedata\Data\XML\Rebel Tech 1\ and past them into the XML Folder.

****All comments/bugs for Version 2.0G go to Grey_Ghost (vallore@hotmail.com)
__=Version 2.1G Changes:=__

--Change | Reason / Notes--

Millenium Falcon no longer inflates when in it's death throes (thanks TheDeadlyShoe)

Rebel Snow Speeder Added (A-Wing model) | This will counter the new Pirate Speeders and AT-AT

AT-AA Added (Larger AT-ST model) | To counter the Snowspeeders

Universe Reduced | Hopefuly for better gameplay, since no save games

T4B Tanks Rockets added back in

Fighters have been slightly scaled down in size | Aesthetics

General Veers rides in an AT-Barge in space

Rebel's Heavy Factory Garrison increased to 2 T4B Tanks

Rebel Infiltrator Building and Unit Added

Limit removed from the number of Mining Facilites that can be built per planet

Pirates Added Back in
They control the Central planets
Pirates have a new Speeder unit | V-Wing version of a Snowspeeder (the Speeders are pretty neat overall)
Added in Pirate Command Center | No texture, but infantry and vehicles damage it just fine.

Using the STOP button while selecting Snowspeeders will sometimes crash the game. Once they start flying, don't try to stop them. They will constanly circle where you tell them to move once they get there.

When Playing as Rebels and invading a Planet the game might cause an exception, Alt-Tab to the error box and hit CANCEL, then Tab back into the game. You should be able to continue playing. It's doesn't happen when using the RAID slot as well.

If you find the game too hard even on Easy, then delete the file named DIFFICULTYADJUSTMENTS.XML in the XML directory
The game will use it's default settings

Not all planets support higher level Starbases!

Game will sometimes crash when Exiting the game while playing Rebels | I have no idea why

Tornados can drive you insane | I loathe those Frelling things! If only I knew how to remove them.

================================================== =
==Previous Versions (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=159148) by Bryant Malaski (Bryant.Malaski@gmail.com)==
================================================== =
 crome676
01-25-2006, 11:07 AM
Would you mind hosting some were but rapidshare?
 Grey_Ghost
01-25-2006, 12:59 PM
Would you mind hosting some were but rapidshare?
Done.

BTW
Assuming all the game stopping bugs are squashed, my next release will have a smaller universe available(awful big for no Save Games) & better Tech 1 setups.
 TheDeadlyShoe
01-25-2006, 1:14 PM
Removed Pirates | The game would tab out to an error box whenever attacking them. Didn't crash, but was annoying all the same

i set the pirate AI to off, replaced the fighters with Z95s, frigates with Venators, some other fighters with Y-wings. works pretty good. i stole the basic list of pirate spawns from the 'Empire at War' campaign in the campaigns file. i also replaced the pirate land forces with various regular units, except the pirate soldier squads. i replaced the pirate command center with a pirate-spawning version of the Rebel Barracks. (the pirate command center had a model, but it was unkillable for some reason and the battle wouldn't end.)

i also thought about a small universe, the current one is just too big for the limited content in the demo!

edit:

i may as well share one bug fix. the death clone of the millenium falcon has a 1.0 scale, while the millednium falcon has a 0.5 scale. this leads to the millenium falcon suddenly becoming much larger when it dies! ;)
 Grey_Ghost
01-25-2006, 1:32 PM
So that stops the Pirate error? If so, thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll make it 7 planets with Pirates right in the middle. Maybe 9 planets would be the sweet spot, anyone have any comments on that?

i may as well share one bug fix. the death clone of the millenium falcon has a 1.0 scale, while the millednium falcon has a 0.5 scale. this leads to the millenium falcon suddenly becoming much larger when it dies!The Falcon actually dies!...Shocking!http://home.houston.rr.com/vallore/8P.gif)
 TheDeadlyShoe
01-25-2006, 1:46 PM
TBH I never got an error, but there's no models for any pirate ships besides the asteroid base as far as i can tell...thats why i changed it that way.

i think you should just pick something and go for it. after all, its just demo modding. ;)

and yes the falcon dies! :p
 NorexPalladin
01-25-2006, 2:23 PM
Hey man great mod, it fixed the problems that i was having. I have one question though. Are you a pro imperial player? I have to ask because removing a unit just because the other side doesnt have one doesnt make sense and is against the nature of war. If your going to remove the rebel tank abilities because the imps dont have them, then there are several other abilities that should be removed because they dont exist on both sides: Get rid of all SD's because the rebs dont have any carrier ships, get rid of AT-ATs because the rebs dont have any super heavy land units, get rid of Moncal cruisers because the imps dont have any ships whose shield generators cant be destroyed, get rid of reb fighters because the imps dont have any fighters that are hyperspace capable(yes they do have the TIE scouts, but those cant fight for crap!), and get rid of all heroes because they dont match up equally in terms of abilities. Basically if you kept pairing down the units until you were left only with equal units there would only 6 units usable in the game; Tartans and corellian corvettes, Marauders and Broadsides, and for ground Stormtroopers and rebel infantry.

War isnt about matching up equal sides like in chess, its about using what you have in a way that the enemy cant counter, or in which their own abilities are nullified. Like in WW2, American fighters couldn't dogfight Japanese Zeroes because of their maneuvarability, but they were much faster, so they would run out ahead spin around and come back in long passes, rendering the superior maneuvering useless. So Rather than get rid of the artillery weps because you dont have them, find a way to get in close so that they are useless.

Before i start getting flamed for this, i do like the mod, and im probably playing it right now. I just always wonder why people seem to want war games where the opposing armies are equal. If you can always match your opponent 1 to 1 on units and capabilities, then where is the challenge of coming up with a superior strategy to overcome their abilities since you can just hit them with the same thing they're hitting you with?
 Grey_Ghost
01-25-2006, 3:39 PM
I didn't want the armies equal per se, just balanced a bit.

The Artillery was basically never deployed by the AI, having it roll up right next to you just to sit there was silly.

I removed the rockets off the T4b cause the Turbolaser Tower's were dropping like flies. I'll probably add it back in though.
 NorexPalladin
01-25-2006, 3:48 PM
Cool, like i said, i enjoy the mod, and ive been mostly playing as the rebellion so i hadnt encountered the T4s as enemies yet.
BTW: Got snowspeeders working by giving them the model that the ywing bombing run uses, but they're kinda a cheap unit since the ai doesnt have a working AA weapon. I'm trying to find a way to make the aa work
 Grey_Ghost
01-25-2006, 4:52 PM
Yeah I used the A-Wing for the snowspeeder, they are so cute. Added in the AT-AA using slightly bigger AT-ST. Not great looking, but it works. Adding those next version.
 hannawald5
01-25-2006, 5:22 PM
I must say that this is Mod is the best so far, i think...
I have not had any crashes or anything like that with this one :)
All you need to do now is add more units and stuff like that (if possible)
 TheDeadlyShoe
01-25-2006, 5:57 PM
Removed Rockets from T4B Tanks | Rebel AI used it like artillery on Turbolaser, staying out of range. No Imp unit can do that.

i dunno about this, i mean..

at-ats

;)

also one change maybe.. reduce turbolaser accuracy against hero units! it's kind of silly losing boba fett to a giant laser cannon. *g*

im looking into setting up extra factions, indpendent pirates with enabled galactic AI or 'imperial governor' players who will squat on systems and fight rebels but not be under empire-player control.

one change thats also kind of fun.. making fighters smaller with the scale controls. you cant make them too small or they're hard to see and hard to hit, but i think it looks cool. ;)
 Ra2er
01-25-2006, 7:23 PM
How do you edit the XML files? I've looked through them and now want to know how to change a few bits since simply typing doesn't work :).
BTW I don't mean for this mod I just meant generally.
 mediumt
01-25-2006, 7:46 PM
I'm having a bit of trouble, the game is crashing for me as alliance when i try to invade a planet.
 Gnrl_Tempest
01-25-2006, 9:13 PM
to edit xml files, use a text editor, i suggest editplus2.
 Grey_Ghost
01-25-2006, 10:08 PM
I'm having a bit of trouble, the game is crashing for me as alliance when i try to invade a planet.Got any specifics? What side were you playing, what troops were you invading with. Did you just drag your soldiers directly from their planet of origin, or move them into a space slot first?
 mediumt
01-25-2006, 10:18 PM
i moved the millenium falcon/han & chewie to dagobah and tried to invade with them. in previous versions this worked fine (i use han and chewie to grab as many neutral planets as i can before the empire gets them ;-) ), but this time a pop-up with an error message came up (didnt read the specifics, it had to do with the sweaw.exe), hit retry, and then windows told me the program had crashed.
 black tiger
01-26-2006, 12:31 AM
yeah it crashes on me too when i play alliance and invade
 General Nuke Em
01-26-2006, 12:33 AM
Click "cancel" instead of "retry" when the exception error comes up.
 Grey_Ghost
01-26-2006, 2:43 AM
I've noticed the problem as well. Yeah clicking Cancel seems to always allow you to Tab back in and proceed normally. Also, if you use the RAID slot the exception doesn't pop up. Apparently only happens when playing Rebels, nothing noticed so far with Imperials.
 TheStressPuppy
01-26-2006, 2:43 AM
I have tried many times with different units. It doesnt matter what ground unit i use, or wether i drag em to orbit 1st, or directly onto the surface of any planet. The game crashes whever a ground battle is initiated for the rebellion. Otherwise its an Excellent mod ( especially for the Empire fans :p ).

Edit: didnt see the alt-tab/cancel option. will try that.
 Assassin X
01-26-2006, 4:14 AM
Is it me or does this mod sound liek Ultimate Mod but better?
 Grey_Ghost
01-26-2006, 7:26 AM
NEW VERSION RELEASED! Now up to 2.1G

My favorite thing about this version would be the Snowspeeder vehicles, and the Pirates. I had a great time testing the Pirate Star Base, first time the Cinematic View actually worked smooth and flawless(was an awesome battle).

If you find any new bugs, please let me know.
 Deathsith
01-26-2006, 7:52 AM
:( i cant get the link to work
 PygmyShrew
01-26-2006, 7:56 AM
rebel infiltrater unit, cant see it, cant kill it, had to retreat from some battles, can you remove it?
 Grey_Ghost
01-26-2006, 8:04 AM
Links fixed now, Had a small problem. If you managed to Download v2.1G please download it again.

I just checked the Infiltrator, he works just fine (I replaced his model). Sure your thinking of this mod?
 Deathsith
01-26-2006, 8:13 AM
thnx! trying now :D
 Empirecitizen
01-26-2006, 11:45 AM
Gd idea for the AT-AA , they are great. Like some sort of artillery.
Are they firing the bombs y-wing release , they look very similar?
I hope the AT-AA in the full version will also be able to attack ground units.
 Kazeite
01-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Great mod, Grey_Ghost! I've finally been able to play a little longer without encountering untargetable bug.

Specifically, I can't destroy Home One (Ackbar's ship), because I can't target her engines. And basic idea is the same: once I destroy all other hardpoints, entire ship becomes untargetable.

Well, at least you got rid of untargetable space station bug... so it seems that this bug is tied directly to certain models.

Nevertheless, great job, and keep it up! :)
 Lord hobo
01-26-2006, 12:47 PM
i had a probelem with the prevoris version i was the empire trying to invade i think it was Byss i completed the land and space battles but i dident claim as mine so re redid the land battle again and again no change but u may of fixed it now so ill dl the new version and let u know
 Lew
01-26-2006, 3:01 PM
Doesn't work, game just crashes
 Goldenshadow
01-26-2006, 3:50 PM
In this new version, 2.1G I play as imperial tech 1 . the game seems to crash during galactic map when I didn't do anything other than wait for units to train. I just just making AT-ATs. I think its something the rebels are doing.
 jonesyjonez
01-26-2006, 4:30 PM
In this new version, 2.1G I play as imperial tech 1 . the game seems to crash during galactic map when I didn't do anything other than wait for units to train. I just just making AT-ATs. I think its something the rebels are doing.
same here, this mod isn't very playable because i keep getting exception errors before i can really build up any forces to invade a planet.

here's my exception log, maybe it'll help.

Exception in thread 8DC - Main Thread
Exception code EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
Attempt to read from address 00000E50

Exception occurred at 005F38B2 - Unknown code pointer

Stack walk:
00000000 : Unknown

Register dump:
Eip:005F38B2 Esp:0022F36C Ebp:00000000
Eax:00000000 Ebx:0277DFA0 Ecx:00000040
Edx:009BD2D8 Esi:00000000 Edi:00000000
EFlags:00010202
CS:001b SS:0023 DS:0023 ES:0023 FS:003b GS:0000

Bytes at CS:EIP (005F38B2): 85 8E 50 0E 00 00 5E 0F 95 C0 83 C4 1C C3 8B 91 68 11 00 00 53 33 DB 3B D3 56 75 25 8B 74 24 0C 53 C7 46 18 0F 00 00 00 89 5E 14 68 C3 B7 93 00 8B CE 88 5E 04 E8 24 E5 E0 FF 8B C6 5E 5B C2 08

I didn't include the stack dump because it was a million lines.
 sandzibar
01-26-2006, 6:30 PM
i get the same... and the cancel trick doesnt work.. just closes the app.

but otherwise big thumbs up on the mod so far.
 PR-0927
01-26-2006, 7:11 PM
It's a great mod, besides the fact that it crashes every 10-15 minutes! I am also sad about the removal of the V-wings, they are cooler than Z=95s (even if they are weaker).

- Majin Revan
 Grey_Ghost
01-26-2006, 7:30 PM
Yeah the cancel trick only works when initially invading. Maybe the game crashes when the Rebels and Pirates mix it up. I'll see what I can do.

About the V-Wings they are still in there, just used by Pirates on both Land and Space.

Has anyone made it long enough to attack the Pirates at MonCal or Kuat? If so, how did it go? Was it fun or annoying?
 Grey_Ghost
01-26-2006, 8:11 PM
UPDATE:
Do not play Tech Level 1 settings. For one thing the Rebels can't steal tech from the Empire without taking out the Pirates first, and they need tech to do that. Also the majority of Tech levels isn't even set, which I'll have to put in. Pirate land forces will be removed from MonCal and Kuat, 1 of them will be added to a Kessel Land Mass. You will be able to fly from MonCal directly from Kuat and vice versa. Kessel is really just a bonus to whomever owns it(high credits).

After that I'll see how stable the game is. I've yet in my testing to get a random crash at galactics while not doing anything.
 TaylorAtCTS
01-26-2006, 8:11 PM
sorry but um...this has probly been asked....why cant i build ISD's as the empire?...
 Grey_Ghost
01-26-2006, 8:16 PM
They can only be built at MonCal or Kuat.
 TaylorAtCTS
01-26-2006, 8:19 PM
Ohhh thanks sorry about that....quick answer i appreciate it
 Goldenshadow
01-26-2006, 10:41 PM
Having too many planets are a problem, but now theres too few. There should at least be a couple more planets to take over Maybe at least 10 total.
 StarFadedBlack
01-26-2006, 11:43 PM
Has anyone made it long enough to attack the Pirates at MonCal or Kuat? If so, how did it go? Was it fun or annoying?
I did. It was kinda hard but fun. I had to reinvade in space battles about 3 times cause they took out my y-wings and other ships like they were nothing. You need a heavy, multi-type unit fleet with a ton of reinforcements ready to take them out with the rebelsand that was on easy. The ground battles were a little easier, I didnt have to reinvade there. I just cant wait for the game to come out. One question, how many land maps are there besides tatooine, if any? :duel:
 enterman
01-26-2006, 11:49 PM
I did. It was kinda hard but fun. I had to reinvade in space battles about 3 times cause they took out my y-wings and other ships like they were nothing. You need a heavy, multi-type unit fleet with a ton of reinforcements ready to take them out with the rebelsand that was on easy. The ground battles were a little easier, I didnt have to reinvade there. I just cant wait for the game to come out. One question, how many land maps are there besides tatooine, if any? :duel:
there will be alot more than just tatooine in the full game.
 StarFadedBlack
01-27-2006, 12:00 AM
Ooops I meant in the demo, sorry about that.
 gswift
01-27-2006, 12:22 AM
Hi Ghost, and thank you for your work.

If you intend to enable more star systems, I like the linear layout you chose in version 2.1G.

Have you thought about a loop of systems? Rebel, Empire, and Pirate could each share a border. I think that would add a cool strategic element… Do I defend myself from the Empire, or do I grab land from the pirates…??
 Grey_Ghost
01-27-2006, 12:47 AM
Tatooine's map is the only one available. I've tried some of the Tutorial maps, but they had pre placed buildings and didn't seem to work well. I'd love more maps. Once the game starts selling it will be nice to forget all about the limited Demo.

I was afraid it wouldn't be enough systems, and I was right. I plan to bump it up to 12 systems (2Asteroids, 10planets). Configured in a big circle allowing you and the AI to attack from 2 different sides.

I may have to remove the Pirates if they are whats causing the random crashing, but I haven't experienced it yet. I'll probably add the choice to play with or without pirates.
 Silencez
01-27-2006, 4:09 AM
They can only be built at MonCal or Kuat.

they shouldn't be buildable on Mon calamari! only on sullust, fondor and Kuat.
 Apocalypse|TFL
01-27-2006, 4:21 AM
rebel infiltrater unit, cant see it, cant kill it, had to retreat from some battles, can you remove it?

I've had the same problem too (v2.0) Almost seems like the unit is actually beneath the terrain. All my units can see it (well detect it morelike) and shoot in it's direction but hit nothing but the floor. I've even managed to follow the health bar around for a limited time while it gets fired on, and it takes no damage whatsoever.
 TheStressPuppy
01-27-2006, 4:28 AM
In any case im amazed at what you guys managed to pull off in such a short time with so little resources or reference (to the game itself). Granted much of the content was already in the demo waiting to be discovered, and according to the devs we just "barely scratched the surface" compared to the full game?!

Couple stupid questions that prolly have already been asked.

Not that it would be usefull when the full game arrives, but is it possible to create new maps for the demo? Mainly so that we get something other than repeat tattoines every ground battle. Very tedious, and the tornados irritate me to no end. "Whatever you do troopers just STAND there, and LET the tornado kill you" lol. I would move em when i see it comming, but sometimes your view is in one part of the map, and you have an army camping waiting to attack at another spot. There should be an audio warning that a tornado is comming. Like a stormtrooper screaming "Tornado! take cover!" Stormtroopers are stupid.. but not THAT stupid :p

Do we know anything about the model format yet, and what tools we will need to create, and import new models? Reason being is i am contemplating going back into modding (look at my sig), and yes it would be a Star Trek mod, but only Star Trek. I have all the ships i need, but no ground forces. I cant character model if my life depended on it. So i may need help in that area.
 Grey_Ghost
01-27-2006, 7:52 AM
New version 2.2G found HERE (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2003860)!) I started a new thread cause that what all the Cool Mods do.

they shouldn't be buildable on Mon calamari! only on sullust, fondor and Kuat
Those poor oppressed Fish Heads!
I've had the same problem too (v2.0)
The Infiltrator was not supposed to be in 2.0G, my bad. Works fine in newest version.
Couple stupid questions that prolly have already been asked.
I know of no way to make new demo maps. If someone could find a way, I'd add it in pronto. I don't think anyone has figured out the model format yet. I think the general concensus is that the Final Game will be highly Mod friendly. Star Trek mod eh...I can't wait to play it!

Yeah those tornadoes really bug me. I really wish my units made some kind of attempt to avoid them.
Page: 1 of 1