Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

White screen at the main menu!

Page: 1 of 1
 irs2k3
01-20-2006, 1:17 AM
hey guys,

I am having a graphics problem wich is so annoying, at the main menu the background image is white and there is no mouse cursor just the blue menu.

Ingame trees are all white and explosions aren't quite normal.

I have a 3.0 GHZ CPU, Geforce 6800 GT and 1 GB Ram using 81.85 drivers

U have tried 81.89 and didn't work.

Help please!
 irs2k3
01-20-2006, 4:35 AM
Anyone?
 PygmyShrew
01-20-2006, 5:32 AM
Try rolling back to some older drivers, see what happens then, also, disconnect from the internet (safety reasons) and disable any antivirus software that may be running (make sure to re-enable when your done) a graphics card/drivers wouldnt usually stop a game from loading :/ there could be something else, hard to tell though.
 killerluk
01-20-2006, 5:37 AM
try using your original drivers also make sure to check you have the latest version of directx
you can also try changing your hardware acceleration slider of your graphic card
 vader815
01-25-2006, 4:14 PM
enable vsync
 alll
02-21-2006, 4:44 AM
hi ppl, i'm having similar problem.. at the main menu, a white background, no mouse cursor just the blue menu text... can't click on anything...sigh... I played the demo with no problem even with high setting everything is perfect... my system: 3.2Ghz, 1GB ram, ATI X800XTPE with latest driver... weird part is since i can play demo why i cant play the full game?
 DarthMaulUK
02-21-2006, 6:16 AM
Please read through this thread
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=155333)

DMUK
 alll
02-21-2006, 7:22 AM
yes i have read it... i got all my latest drivers including my directx is feb2006. I did say the demo runs perfect, as for the full game in the main menu is like this http://i1.tinypic.com/o8h0ug.gif) the sound is fine playing in the background... even after i exit out i can play demo with no problem.
 alll
02-21-2006, 10:03 AM
some of my demo shots, as u can see perfectly fine with demo...
http://i1.tinypic.com/o8rzw8.gif)
http://i1.tinypic.com/o8s0hh.gif)
http://i1.tinypic.com/o8s21y.gif)
 popcorn2008
02-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Try running Empire at War in safe mode. You can do this by going to start -> all programs -> lucas arts -> empire at war -> play empire at war (safe mode).

This will reset all graphic changes to their original settings. It's worth a shot. If that doesn't work then check your demo graphics options and then compare them to the real versions options. See if there are any differences there. If so, then change them and see what happens.

Also try re-installing as an installation error may have occured. Hope that helps :)
 alll
02-21-2006, 7:30 PM
ya i tried play (safe mode) same white screen... sigh.. as for graphics options, u can see my screenshot, white screen with just the blue menu text, no mouse cursor(can't click on anything which not way for me to go into options) ...

oh i did reistall like 3-5 times no error, launching the game also very smooth until the main menu...grrr...
 alll
02-21-2006, 10:56 PM
if u need any info of my pc in solving the problem pls let me know thanks...
 djsven
03-03-2006, 4:25 AM
Hi,
i have got the same problem.
But i use a Geforce FX5600 128MB from MSI.
I only see a white screen with en menue on the right side.
What the hell ist that?
I install the patch 1.02 afer the main installation.
Trying a older driver doesenґt brings a change.
what ca it be?
 popcorn2008
03-03-2006, 5:37 PM
This problem seems to be semi-wide spread. Alll can you list your computer specs here, including Processor, Graphics Card and amount of Ram. Thanks and I'll see if I can help. Also is your graphics card PCI or AGP? Or maybe PCI-e?
 djsven
03-03-2006, 5:41 PM
Hi,
my Hardware:

Athlon XP 2400@2700
MSI Geforce FX5600 AGP
1GB MDT RAM

Windows XP Sp2
 djsven
03-03-2006, 5:46 PM
I put fast write off,
AGP apture size to 128.
I took omega driver instead of nvidia orginal to test it.same couse.
 popcorn2008
03-03-2006, 5:46 PM
It looks fine to me... its odd that it is doing this.

Go to Yoda's Help Desk (http://yodashelpdesk.lucasarts.com/) and pick Empire at War and then your platform. Then in the links to the left push email customer support and inform them of your problem. Also go through there FAQ and see if your problem is listed, though in my skim reading I didnt see it. Hope that helps, their customer support is some what slow but they'll be able to help better than I can.
 djsven
03-13-2006, 4:27 PM
So i have made an screenshots.
Now everyone can see what i meen.
bye
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/djsven/screen.jpg)
 gswift
03-14-2006, 12:41 PM
This is just a wild guess, so it probably won't work, but it's worth a try:

-Try changing your windows resolution, refresh rate, and color depth. Try a few different combinations of settings.

-Make sure you're not running any pop-up blockers, or video capture/ disk imaging softawre. It doesn't like Nero, for example. (you've probably already tried that one) However, you could go into XP process manager and start shutting processes down one at a time, to see if any of the automatic processes are interfering rather than an application.
 djsven
03-15-2006, 5:08 PM
nothing help!!
DAMMM
WHY NOBODY CAN HELP USE WHO HAVE THIS WHITE SCREEN???
 DarthMaulUK
03-15-2006, 5:15 PM
Lets work through this.

Ok, firstly, did any of you have the original demo installed? If so, remove it completely - including any mods.

Second, make sure that your direct x9c is up to date (August 05 version) - you can get this from your CD.

Third. Once you have done all this, uninstall the game - remove all folders, then re-install. It might also be worth doing a defrag before reinstalling the game (can take a long time depending on your PC)

DMUK
 djsven
03-15-2006, 5:43 PM
Nothing help!Thanks.
I played the demo very well!
Why not the full verion?
ARR!
I have the new directX9c installed.
The same.
What can i do?
 DarthMaulUK
03-15-2006, 5:47 PM
I will pass this on to Petroglyph as it might be a known problem and something getting fixed in the new patch....stay tuned.

DMUK
 Jmaster3265
03-15-2006, 8:11 PM
How can it be a big porblem if it seems to only be happening for him? Man, i wish i could get things reported to Petro every time i had a issuie..... :rolleyes:
 djsven
03-17-2006, 6:01 AM
Big thanks.
Iam not the only one how had this problem!!
 Nitrium
03-18-2006, 3:52 PM
Mine's the same, white mneu on startup (ver 1.02). Athlon64 3500+, Geforce 6600GT 256MB, 2 GB RAM. You can actually play the game (believe it or not). Here's how: First activate "show location of pointer when I press the ctrl key" in Windows Control Panel mouse options. Now that you can find your pointer by pressing ctrl after starting the game. Click on Options --> Video, disable hardware mouse --> apply --> enable hardware mouse --> apply. Now a mouse pointer appears, and you can start playing. The game works just fine in every way, with the exception of the cool explosions which appear as white sqaures - but that's the only glitch apparently.
 djsven
03-20-2006, 3:09 AM
Big Thanks for your tip!!
I realy can switch between the Menu.
But please help me again, where i have to klich for the Hardware Mouse??
I cant see this box to klick.Only read the name.
Can you make a sceen shot for me where i have to but my mouse to klick this option??
BIG Thanks!
Bye
Sven
 Nitrium
03-22-2006, 4:21 PM
The little square box is to the left of the name. But in any case, it turns out it doesn't matter. When you start the game (which is tough when can't see your mouse pointer, but if you hold down ctrl you can find it, as I mentioned earlier), the pointer appears as soon as soon as the galaxy map is loaded (regardless of the hardware mouse setting). Barring the white squares in lieu of explosions (at least that's what it does on mine), the game runs perfectly. The problem is definitely system specific (as opposed to a bad disc) - I loaded it on a friends machine, and it worked flawlessly. Might help to reinstall XP?
Page: 1 of 1