Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

OBSI WANTS KOTOR3 (NO PLANS)

Page: 1 of 1
 rhinomatt
01-19-2006, 12:55 PM
after emailing obisidian with ok well it looks like KOTOR3 is going to be done by you guys again (but shhhhh). i dont want to know anything about it or even if you are but dont spoil the kotor saga by making it real time fighting. KEEP IT AS IT IS. other than that good luck and thanks for the 3rd game
just to see what the reply i would get. and it was:
As far as the Old Republic Universe, that is all owned and dolled out by LucasArts and we don’t really have any control over it, unless we decide to do another KotOR game with them. No plans have been made yet, but it will always be something we would be interested in doing.

Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.
 Ztalker
01-19-2006, 1:00 PM
Well...

It isn't a confirmation of anything...
Most developers deny everything, then strike with a enormous impact. I woudlnt be surprised if they plan it tactfull, like releasing K3 just before Mass Effect orso.

At least you got a reply, thats more then some other get :D
 JediMaster12
01-19-2006, 3:47 PM
Yes it is. I thought they would deny anything concerning games, just a strategy to keep people on their toes.
 Miltiades
01-19-2006, 4:10 PM
I woudlnt be surprised if they plan it tactfull, like releasing K3 just before Mass Effect orso.

Well, that's the thanks Bioware gets for helping OE? :P
 Jae Onasi
01-19-2006, 6:00 PM
Well, it'll sure be fun to see who announces the game, and if OE has it, what they say. At this point, I think that any dev would be very discreet about saying they're working on it if LA hasn't given them the go-ahead to make the official announcement, so I don't anticipate anything but hedging-type answers to our questions.
 Com Raven
01-19-2006, 6:14 PM
In fact, this sounds like they aren't working on it. PR doesn't outright lie; instead, they make bland statements like "We have nothing to announce at this time" or "It is our policy not to comment or rumours and speculation"; outright going on the record saying that they are NOT working on it sounds likey they really don't do. Because full-blown lies make pretty bad PR..
 JediMaster12
01-19-2006, 6:38 PM
You hit the mark on that one. We'll see.
 Com Raven
01-19-2006, 6:40 PM
Yeah well, I study rhetorics and hope to work in PR afterwards, so I hope it sounded plausible^^
 IndianaSolo
01-19-2006, 9:14 PM
They've already stated in past interviews that they (Obsidian) would like to do further KOTOR games.

That's not really new news, nor is it any kind of indication K3 is going to be developed by Obsidian.
 Com Raven
01-19-2006, 9:25 PM
Nope, his point is that it is an indication that it is NOT being made by Obsidian. Indeed, I have a feeling that if Obsidian hasn't started on it soem time ago, then they won't be making it at all...
 RobQel-Droma
01-19-2006, 11:56 PM
They didn't really say much of anything, did they? :) But anyways, I would like OE to do KOTOR III, and I hope they do.
 Master Kavar
01-20-2006, 12:04 AM
If OE is trying to trick people into believing they're really not working on KOTOR3, they're doing a good job so far. I think I might have got my hopes up for nothing... :/
 IndianaSolo
01-20-2006, 1:16 AM
Nope, his point is that it is an indication that it is NOT being made by Obsidian. Indeed, I have a feeling that if Obsidian hasn't started on it soem time ago, then they won't be making it at all...

Haha there's been so many "Obsidian IS being made! SEE PROOF!??!" threads lately that I misread his. :smash:
 Com Raven
01-20-2006, 5:56 AM
Haha there's been so many "Obsidian IS being made! SEE PROOF!??!" threads lately that I misread his. :smash:

Yeah, I see where your coming from^^
 Aurora Merlow
01-20-2006, 7:01 AM
I'd have to agree that it sounds as if OE won't be doing it. I would assume it would at least be in the development stage by now, but point taken, LA would have them on a pretty tight leash as to what they can and can't say
 Ztalker
01-20-2006, 7:56 AM
Well...

If if they are making it, it seems a strange marketing strategy.
LA obviously has the tools to make a 360 game, given by Uncle Bill. It seems strange they didn't make a Kotor X-360 Launchgame. I think a majority of people would be convinced to buy a 360 that way. Now they missed the big storm, and if they don't act quikly, other RPG's (like Mass Effect) will claim the nr 1. Rpg spot on the 360.
I just think LA isn't doing anything regarding Kotor. Remember, they first have to get a better engine, or other RPG's will simply out-cool them. I think they are still in the planning stage, and that's why OE keeps its mouth.
 Cygnus Q'ol
01-20-2006, 9:22 AM
As optimistic as I am, I must admit that it doesn't look good.

Com Raven is right (again). The wording in the statement doesn't allude to the fact that they are making it.

In fact, the statement reveals that they aren't even planning on making it.
...yet.

It may be something they are willing to do. But, as of yet, Nothing.
Very dissappointing.
I think I'll go kill some kinrath.
 Com Raven
01-20-2006, 10:01 AM
Mass Effect will be out in early 2007 if things go as planned, so they still have some time before they have to go toe-to-toe with BioWare. Of course Oblivion will be out soon...
 IndianaSolo
01-20-2006, 6:01 PM
Mass Effect will be out in early 2007 if things go as planned, so they still have some time before they have to go toe-to-toe with BioWare. Of course Oblivion will be out soon...

I thought I read somewhere that Mass Effect's target release is Winter 2006.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
01-20-2006, 7:21 PM
I'm still praying to <insert god here> that BioWare makes K3.
 Com Raven
01-20-2006, 7:55 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Mass Effect's target release is Winter 2006.

When they announced it in october 2005, they said they expected it to ship in about 12-18 months; so I guess it will be early 2007.
 IndianaSolo
01-20-2006, 10:26 PM
When they announced it in october 2005, they said they expected it to ship in about 12-18 months; so I guess it will be early 2007.

The Electronic Gaming Monthly Jan. 2006 issue magazine lists Mass Effect as being one of the XBox 360 games slated for a Fall 2006 release.

It might have been pushed back, but it was listed in the magazine's "2006 The Year in Preview" issue.
 Com Raven
01-21-2006, 7:06 AM
Uhm, well, I am not gonna get into how much I "trust" EGM...

Also, IGN listed it in their "Games for 2007" article. Trust me on this one: As much as i'd love to be wrong, we won't be playing Mass Effect this year.
 Vaelastraz
01-21-2006, 12:30 PM
Waah to me that response from OE sounds bad. That means if there ever will be a Kotor III it will take at least 1,5 years from now :(
Why doesnt LA get the development started? Kotor series is top seller. Just like Splinter Cell.

CR: Edited for provoking. Consider yourself warned.
 Com Raven
01-21-2006, 12:43 PM
First of all, you habe no clue whether LEC has started development; no one says that it has to be OE who does the third game.

On a more serious note, I told you before not to make derogatory comments towards any system, be it a console, PC or Mac, on a multi-system board; they just lead to flamefests.

Consider yourself officially warned; next time around I will be forced to take action.
 The Source
01-21-2006, 12:56 PM
no one says that it has to be OE who does the third game.
I thought about that the other day. I wonder if the creators of 'EAW' or LA themselves would get a chance at this series?
 Ztalker
01-21-2006, 1:07 PM
^
|
|
|

Been talking about it with my mates too.
We came to the conclusion that LA only has 2 choices:
a) Keep the engine, increase graphics (To counter Mass Effect a.o ), and put Bioware or Obsidian on the job, since they know how to handle the engine. Giving another developer the job, might result in a bad game.
b) Get a whole new engine, developing team. A New start. This means they develop something completely new, without any connections (Grapical and Stoy) to the other parts. This way, they can dump EO and BIO, and get another little company they can put inhuman pressure on (Cynical refference to Kotor 2).

So...as it seems now, they are in the planning fase, wich means they will go for b.
 Com Raven
01-21-2006, 2:26 PM
Well, I do think that they are a bit beyond merely planning things...

As for Mac, I gave my thoughts on your idea in the other topic :)
 IndianaSolo
01-21-2006, 4:56 PM
Uhm, well, I am not gonna get into how much I "trust" EGM...

Also, IGN listed it in their "Games for 2007" article. Trust me on this one: As much as i'd love to be wrong, we won't be playing Mass Effect this year.

haha fair enough. I just got excited when I saw it in their preview issue. I'm actually really looking forward to it. I'll probably be disappointed (no game has ever met my expectations), but I think it could be an interesting trilogy.
 Com Raven
01-21-2006, 7:24 PM
Yeah, I am defintely lookinmg forward to it myself. That whole "digital actor" thing could prove revolutionary if they can pull it off!
 IndianaSolo
01-21-2006, 7:53 PM
I like the idea of the setting, personally. As much as I enjoy the BGs and the NWNs, I'm a bit tired of the usual D&D inspired dragons and mages stuff.

While I'm sure ME has various similar elements, I like the fact it's more Sci-Fi than fantasy.
Page: 1 of 1