Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Odd error when trying to launch the demo

Page: 1 of 1
 Enwolf
01-18-2006, 5:41 PM
Ok so I have installed and uninstalled the demo about 3 times. I've rebooted between instalations but every time I try to lauch the demo I end up with an error saying

"A required security module can not be activated. This program can not be executed."

and it closes everything, anyone have any idea how to fix this, I really want to play this demo!!
 DarthMaulUK
01-18-2006, 6:27 PM
We need some info.
What versions of Windows are you running? Empire at War only works with Windows XP and I believe 2000 (not sure on that) but wont work with Windows 98 or ME.

Please check this guide >> http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=155333) in this forum, and you can also see if the game will run by reading this http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=156634) post

DMUK
 Smurftra
01-18-2006, 7:39 PM
I have the same error but labelled in french.

I have WinXP (French edition)
p4 3.0mhz
1 gig ram
asus xtreme N6600

I tried it on two other computers (Friends) and they get the same error as well, but i do not know their specs.
 PygmyShrew
01-19-2006, 4:35 AM
You really need to contact LucasArts Support, usually these things are tied in with cd protection systems, but this is a demo. Perhaps theyve tied some security in already, id also suggest disabling any virtual drives, try it again then if that doesnt work uninstall any software like daemon tools, alcohol etc. Any security might be detecting these and thats where the conflict is, but anything anyone suggests here is mere guess work, this is a new game and these are new problems, only LA can really help you, im sure we could throw a million ideas at you and eventually one would work, but thatd be pure chance but im also sure LA would like to know about this and would assist you.
 DarthMaulUK
01-19-2006, 5:34 AM
Extremely interesting. Maybe someone at Petroglyph knows of this error and can throw some advice at it.

DMUK
 Spartan025
01-19-2006, 6:03 AM
When I did a scan it said
Hard drive 1500mb C\:55642 MB Post Installed N/A
Hard drive 1500mb D\:976mbMB Post Installed N/A

is that normal?
 PygmyShrew
01-19-2006, 6:19 AM
Scan? Is this some LA diagnostics scan?

If thats disc size for your partitions before the install and after the N/A after is a bit worrying... but if you installed it to C:/ You have plenty of space for the game to install its self, if you installed it to D:/ your problems start to make more sense, the game installs at a total of 1500mb.
 xysvenxy
01-19-2006, 8:15 AM
It's a message generated by the SecuRom copy protection:
http://www.securom.com/support_enduser.asp?t=2&ts1=4)

It says:
"A required security module can not be activated. This program can not be executed."
SecuROMâ„¢ has determined a debugging or an emulation tool is running. Please refer to the following procedure to remedy:

* Please deactivate these tools before starting the program. It's not necessary to uninstall them.
* If the problem persists, please send a SecuROMâ„¢ analysis file to support@securom.com (see "Support Info" section on how to do that).
 PygmyShrew
01-19-2006, 2:20 PM
Pretty much confirms they have intergrated security features into the demo...

Well, Ive just had a run in with securom, there actually a Sony company ;) I brought a game and it wouldnt work with either of my CD Drives, Securom support team were very good though! Id do what that message tells you and contact them with the analysis file, they ended up sending me a patch that fixed the problem.

As Ive said already this is a new game, a new issue, no one other than those in a place to (securom, LA, petro) could really know the definate cause and fix for these problems.
Page: 1 of 1