Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Soo.... How about that PAL release date? eh?

Page: 1 of 1
 madonessay
01-17-2006, 1:19 AM
Zig-Hiyo!

Back in the October issue of Hyper Magazine (Aussie gaming mag), I noticed a nice, full page ad for Psychonauts... stating it was being released Nov 25th. This made me explode with joy, as I'd been following this game, and waiting for the Australian release since early 2005. I called quite a few stores on Nov 25, asking if they have it yet, but alas, none had even heard of the game!

So, seeing as this seems to be a nice big fansite, anyone have any idea of the launch date here in Australia?

And, yeah, i noticed this has been posted lower on the page, but the thread sorta.... degenerated. :)
 Klia
01-17-2006, 3:28 PM
Well I checked it up and nothing seems to contradict it.

The only reason why I think it hasn't come to your stores is the relative slow shipping and other "stuff" that gets in the way. Psychonauts didn't do too hot over here and stores may not be rushing to fill it on their shelves.

Wait a little bit longer...you may be suprised.
 KingCheez
01-17-2006, 4:46 PM
Every topic degenerates here, madon. We just call it, "alliespixie."
 madonessay
01-20-2006, 5:38 AM
Thanks, I shall keep up my hopes for a few months longer. And also look out for that "alliespixie". None the less, that must be a reaaaally slow ship. Maybe it got intercepted by pirates... looking to sell some Psychonauts on the black market.
I heard about the small sales. all those "Best Game nobody played" awards on every game review site.
 Thrik
01-20-2006, 9:33 AM
Yeah, it's pretty tragic. Perhaps it's just not the right time for a game like this, what with pretty graphics and gimmicks largely ruling the games market right now -- games like Psychonauts just seem to end up ignored, despite fantastic ratings from those who actually played it.

But then, the same thing happened with Beyond Good and Evil and possibly Grim Fandango (although Tim did once say that the latter met LucasArts' sales expectations), both of which are exceptional and should be played by anybody who likes Psychonauts or just good games in general. ;)

Maybe once the hardware race dies down in the future and graphics become less of a selling point, publishers will be forced to return to actual originality to impress the public, and titles such as Psychonauts will get a more significant chance.

As far as I'm aware, though, there is at least a European release still planned and I'd like to think that it'll appear in Australia and whatnot too, although I have no idea what the publishing relationships and whatnot are like over there.
 madonessay
01-21-2006, 5:21 AM
Yeah, a return to originality, innovation, art style and storyline as a selling point as opposed to graphics and movie tie-ins is a day I look foward to. I hope it comes about some day.

I never knew Beyond Good and Evil was delayed, but I do know I enjoyed that game tremendously. I heard it's part of a trilogy that may never see the light of day due to the low sales.
 Thrik
01-21-2006, 6:07 AM
Yeah, the storyline was definitely planned to continue.

However, Michel Ancel (the creator) has stated on numerous occasions during the past year that he'd really like to and would continue the series if he was given the chance. Considering that he was responsible for the King Kong game and Rayman, Ubisoft may be willing to give him another shot at some point in the future.

Its sales failure is primarily put down to bad marketing, although who really knows. :~
 madonessay
01-22-2006, 7:56 AM
Oooooh boy, I hope they give him the chance! And, ya know, with Peter Jackson's support for BG&E, it miiight just happen. And, if memory serves, it did have a pretty bad marketing campaign. something about "The government has heavily armed Death Squads".
 chocovla
01-22-2006, 9:51 AM
Speaking of a Psychonauts PAL release according to my local gameshop Psychonauts is due for a release here in the Netherlands on January 25th. The UK release is planned for February 10th. Now let's hope this time it's for real and not another fake release date.
 alliespixie
01-22-2006, 11:36 AM
Every topic degenerates here, madon. We just call it, "alliespixie."
okay...fine,you meanie...and what do you mean by degenerates
 Mashi An'krekku
01-22-2006, 11:54 AM
degenerates
n. a collective or quantitative noun for school.
"Jose, that's a whole degenerates of school!"

Thanks, The Surrealist Infinite Teen Slang Dictionary! (http://thesurrealist.co.uk/slang.cgi)
...That's also not a real definition.
 madonessay
01-22-2006, 6:09 PM
Late Febuary-Early January you say? whoooooooo!

hm......
Mashi An'krekku
v. to intentionally laugh at a policeman.
"We should Mashi An'krekku, my man."

....that's an awesome sauce site!
 Mashi An'krekku
01-22-2006, 7:21 PM
I found it one fine day. xD
 Smon
01-23-2006, 12:43 PM
Smon
v. to shout at a radio.
"I'm telling you, Jackie totally wanted to Smon!"

I'm a verb! *glee* Wonder what my NG username is defined as...

PopupBlock
n. an inquiry of health, and confirmation of same.
"Hey there, man - PopupBlock?" "PopupBlock."

Cool. I'm gonna go Smon...
 Joshi
01-23-2006, 2:23 PM
Oooooh boy, I hope they give him the chance! And, ya know, with Peter Jackson's support for BG&E, it miiight just happen. And, if memory serves, it did have a pretty bad marketing campaign. something about "The government has heavily armed Death Squads".

Bit of an understatement, the only reason i knew about the game was because I was forced to watch an ongoing advertisement about it whilst installing Prince of Persia SOT. I'm glad it sort of took to me though else I would have never thought about playing such a game, and what a game. I'm also hopeful for a sequel or two.

As for the australian release, I can't be too sure, we still haven't got it over here in Europe yet, delays after delays for some reason. Pity really as we get the DVD version instead of having to keep up with 5 CD's, which is a right pain when you've left 4 of them at home and then uninstalled the game :P.
Page: 1 of 1