Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Technical Jargon

Page: 1 of 1
 SilverSentinal2
01-10-2006, 7:56 PM
Hi to the Experts! I'm considering taking up modding for a hobby. My arthritus makes my sewing difficult so I need a new one until summer. The problem is I've read throug some of the tutorials and all of the computerspeak is hard for me to understand. Is there anyway I can find out what exactly the thechnical stuff means? Sort of like a glossery or dictionary of terms? I'm sorry if this sounds incredibly stupid, but I have no experience writing computer programs. I can fix viruses, and broken components, but actual programming I've never tried.

Again I appologize if this is a waste of everyone's time but I'm a hard worker and a good student. I just need a little guidence. Thanks a lot for your time.
Silver
 Darth333
01-10-2006, 8:11 PM
Reading the tutorials is one thing but you won't get much out of it if you do not read them with the tools in hand (per example, if you have Kotor tool and rowse the game data, you will notice files with .uti, .utc.utp extensions - open them: a lot of their content speaks for itself and the tuts will make much more sense). Although it helps, you don't need any programming background to mod...in fact most members here, including me, have no programming background.

It's best to begin with a small project, such as editing .uti files (item properties and such) just to familiarize yourself with the files and the jargon. Once you've made an item, you could try placing it into the game, etc.

You will find some info here about the gff format here but I doubt it will be of any help for now: http://nwn.bioware.com/developers/)
Page: 1 of 1