Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

KOTOR 3 info from IGN

Page: 1 of 2
 RaginCajun
01-10-2006, 1:11 AM
"LucasArts: KOTOR 3, Mercenaries 2
LucasArts' recent silence by no means equals inactivity. On the contrary, Knights of the Old Republic 3, in development with Obsidian Development, is in the early stages of creation for a late 2006 -- most likely a 2007 -- release. The game should feature more seamless interaction between NPCs and the lead character, as well as better, more economic interactions between party members. We predict the combat system will go entirely realtime, as opposed to partially realtime (the way it was in KOTOR 1 and 2), and RPG fans will be able to enjoy more distinct shades of gray recognized by characters instead of the black and white distinctions made in the first two iterations of the series."

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/680/680220p1.html)
 Nedak
01-10-2006, 1:29 AM
KOTOR 3 will be only for 360? Crap (better start saving up =D)
 Darth Windu
01-10-2006, 2:51 AM
LOL, yeah right. LA might contract to Obsidian Entertainment, but I've never heard of Obsidian Development.

Also, to have only real-time combat would mean abandoning the current engine, which would change the way the game plays. Not gonna happen. It's like saying the new Jedi Knight game will be completely turn-based.

I should also point out that this is opinion not fact - big difference.
 Prime
01-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Sounds a little suspicious to me. ;)
 Darth InSidious
01-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Sounds a little suspicious to me. ;)
Quoted for emphasis :)
 Bob Lion54
01-10-2006, 2:05 PM
IGN Predicts 2006, Pt. 1
What will 2006 bring? IGN's editors prophesize the future of Xbox 360 in 2006.

Its IGN just having fun predicting things. They want it to be funny (I think).

Dios Mio!
 IndianaSolo
01-10-2006, 2:23 PM

Dios Mio!

Exactly. It's their predictions, probably done in a half-joking type of way too.
 Nedak
01-10-2006, 5:12 PM
like saying the new Jedi Knight game will be completely turn-based.

There is going to me a new Jedi Knight game?!?! :D:sbdance
 Gray_Master
01-10-2006, 5:28 PM
more economic interactions with party members? lol that sounds funny, I'm such a great Jedi/Sith you gotta pay just to talk to me =P

It would be cool if KOTOR 3 was already in the works, but anything that says "it's going all real time" is bogus. You know how many fans would be up in arms..in real-time or turn-based fans would be up in arms....ooo bad joke =P
 Sabretooth
01-11-2006, 8:10 AM

Dios Mio!

Damn. Beat me to it.
 Cygnus Q'ol
01-11-2006, 9:25 AM
Taking a turn-based combat RPG and turning it into a realtime FPS after two games in a successful format?

Ha ha ha, whoa, whoo whoo! Oh boy, Ha ha ha...
(Stops typing to catch breath from laughing...)

Sorry, that's the funniest thing I've heard today.
(whew, still sweating from a great laugh)
 Prime
01-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Taking a turn-based combat RPG and turning it into a realtime FPS after two games in a successful format?They did not say that it will be a FPS. The claim merely was that it would be realtime. There is a big difference.
 Darth n00b
01-11-2006, 10:59 AM
KOTOR 3 will be only for 360? Crap (better start saving up =D)
They didn't say anything about that.
As far as I know did the KotOR series good on the PC so there should be no reason for LA to make it 360 exlusive.
Unless Darth Gates have pushed som money over to them...
 JediMaster12
01-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Don't say that PLEASE!! :)
 Cygnus Q'ol
01-11-2006, 1:17 PM
They did not say that it will be a FPS. The claim merely was that it would be realtime. There is a big difference.

What is the difference between realtime and semi-realtime?

How would this manifest itself in this particular game?
 ChAiNz.2da
01-11-2006, 1:47 PM
What is the difference between realtime and semi-realtime?

How would this manifest itself in this particular game?
I posted an answer relating somewhat to that question here:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=1988790&postcount=105)

But feel free to comment on it (or others add to it) as you see fit :)

Link to FULL thread:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=152913)
 Cygnus Q'ol
01-11-2006, 2:11 PM
Thanks Chainz, that helps a bit.

Much appreciated.

I hope it doesn't come to that.
 Nedak
01-11-2006, 6:12 PM
They didn't say anything about that.
As far as I know did the KotOR series good on the PC so there should be no reason for LA to make it 360 exlusive.
Unless Darth Gates have pushed som money over to them...

I read another article about it maybe being on 360. Oh and also I kinda live by "Darth Gates" so I know the true meaning of pain ;)
 kushan10
01-11-2006, 7:47 PM
Is KOTOR 3 going to on Xbox 360 only!? Lets hope not.
 Jeff
01-11-2006, 8:16 PM
Is KOTOR 3 going to on Xbox 360 only!? Lets hope not.
Well microsoft announced that no more games for the normal xbox would be made from now on i believe.

EDIT: But I'm sure it will be made for PC.
 kushan10
01-11-2006, 9:11 PM
:urpboun: yay!Thats good news.
 lukeiamyourdad
01-11-2006, 9:34 PM
Although much smaller, I believe the PC market to be sufficiently big to warrant at least some sort of port from an Xbox 360 version.
 pokejedi123
01-21-2006, 6:20 AM
and if it comes to 360 man force help us and all kotor fans who own a PC will go and protest against lucas arts and i will be one of them(although im from estonia)
 JediMaster12
01-21-2006, 11:48 PM
I hope it's not 360 exclusive. I'm a PC person myself.
 swediot=)
02-01-2006, 6:16 PM
well kotor1 was pc game of the year there is no way they will release this for 360 only. plus the games were way better on the pc anyway i tried it on xbox and it did not come with all the content.... what was up with that
 Alkova Lexis
02-02-2006, 7:36 AM
it better not only be for the 360..they gotta have it for pc..maybe even ps3. but i doubt it..but seriously, 360 only?
 MachineCult
02-02-2006, 8:06 AM
If they do release it 360 only then they really are insane, they'll lose millions of customers including me.
I doubt it will make it to the PS3, maybe if it's for the PC as well.
 lord ignarn
02-02-2006, 9:02 AM
I hope they release it for PC, after all, they will have much more customers, dedicated customers. I mean, a lot of people (me, for example) wonґt buy 360 just to play K3. And also, it would be treason to all the LucasArts PC customers, and I would bet that we are a good bunch of people.

Personaly, I wonґt believe it until LucasArts, or the license developer, makes an official announcement.
 JediMaster12
02-02-2006, 12:22 PM
Well I guess we'll have to wait a little while longer for that. I'm with ya though, I'd be boiling mad if they didn't make it for PC
 Master Dakari
02-02-2006, 1:03 PM
The article never says that K3 will be XBOX 360 exclusive. It never even mentions what platforms it might be made for. Read the article more carefully and you will see that when it states anything about the XBOX 360 or PS3 in the section, it has transitioned into talking about Mercenaries 3, which is in development by Pandemic. Also, from what we know of the past, K3 will be for both XBOX 360 and PC. I don't think they will change the platform inbetween games of a standing series. It wouldn't be logical. However, I wouldn't put it past Micro$oft to someone twist LucasArts into releasing it as a 360-exclusive game. I don't think it will happen, though.

Also, this article is being condemned because it is IGN's predictions. However, if you take all of the predictions and "we think"s out of it, you can chisle it down to few solid facts that the do know. Or atleast what they claim to know as fact. Try this....

LucasArts' recent silence by no means equals inactivity. On the contrary, Knights of the Old Republic 3 is in the early stages of creation for a late 2006 -- most likely a 2007 -- release. The game should feature more seamless interaction between NPCs and the lead character, as well as better, more economic interactions between party members.

Makes since to me. Notice that this is the stuff they actually know. Not to be confused with what they predicted, which is sorely based on the limited knowledge they do have.
 Hallucination
02-02-2006, 9:01 PM
LucasArts' recent silence by no means equals inactivity. On the contrary, Knights of the Old Republic 3, which we believe is in development with Obsidian Development, is in the early stages of creation for a late 2006 -- most likely a 2007 -- release. The game should feature more seamless interaction between NPCs and the lead character, as well as better, more economic interactions between party members. We predict the combat system will go entirely realtime, as opposed to partially realtime (the way it was in KOTOR 1 and 2), and RPG fans will be able to enjoy more distinct shades of gray recognized by characters instead of the black and white distinctions made in the first two iterations of the series.
I love quotes with deleted parts. I live to fill in sentences to show the truth![/sarcasm]

As you can see, it is just speculation, and they don't know if it's true or not.
 Master Dakari
02-04-2006, 2:32 PM
*EDIT*

Everything removed by poster.
 innerfears
02-04-2006, 3:14 PM
Relax.. KOTOR3 will never be Xbox exclusive. Why limit yourself to a console audience when you can have the console people AND PC people? It wouldn't make sense market-wise... and I believe the original KOTOR was designed exclusively for the PC and then they decided to port it to the Xbox not long after. Remember, the Xbox is really just a PC you can plug controllers into and play through your TV, it wouldn't make sense to not make a PC version.

At this point we don't even know if there WILL be a KOTOR3. We can just assume, since the series is so popular and loved, and I think there will be one but I don't know why IGN would give a prediction on it already being in development without something to back it up.

Oh yeah, and if they did make the combat real-time (not likely), I'd have to send a bunch of hatemail to Obsidian. That is the one thing that drew me to the game and it's just another thing that makes it so much better than the Jedi Knight series!
 The Source
02-10-2006, 2:56 PM
IGN is mirroring what they see in forums. I noticed that they use words and phrases that came from conversations found at ObsidianEnt and LucasFourms.com. Otherwords, they are only repeating the philosophies and rumors found in the Star Wars community, and they are repackaging it as news.

They are also making 'predoictions'. Predictions are their attempt in telling the future.
 Nikkke
02-15-2006, 5:12 PM
Innerfears made some good points there, about K3 not being exclusive to 360. I almost panicked when I read the previous posts about the matter.
I wonder if LA is going to release some information about K3 soon, cause it has already been quite long since they released KotOR II. Do they have any other big projects there at the moment?
 Phaedra36
02-15-2006, 7:04 PM
"LucasArts: KOTOR 3, Mercenaries 2
LucasArts' recent silence by no means equals inactivity. On the contrary, Knights of the Old Republic 3, in development with Obsidian Development, is in the early stages of creation for a late 2006 -- most likely a 2007 -- release. The game should feature more seamless interaction between NPCs and the lead character, as well as better, more economic interactions between party members. We predict the combat system will go entirely realtime, as opposed to partially realtime (the way it was in KOTOR 1 and 2), and RPG fans will be able to enjoy more distinct shades of gray recognized by characters instead of the black and white distinctions made in the first two iterations of the series."

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/680/680220p1.html)

Look at the key words there. "The game SHOULD..." "We PREDICT..."
 Renegade Puma
02-16-2006, 5:21 AM
Everyone calm down :) There will be a KOTOR III. No I don't have a link or story confirming this. I am just believing and hoping and saying that there will be. There, everything is better now right?
 fonsolo
02-16-2006, 7:28 AM
Everyone calm down :) There will be a KOTOR III. No I don't have a link or story confirming this. I am just believing and hoping and saying that there will be. There, everything is better now right?

Indeed there will be. Essential economics supply and demand law: if people will buy it, someone will do it. It's just as simple as that.
 Ztalker
02-16-2006, 8:39 AM
If Kotor 3 comes out for only the X-Box, it will proof they are taking the wrong road. We know Uncle Bill paid them for it then, and they are only there for the cash. On long term, it would destory them.

My conclusion:
Screw Bill! We WILL play Kotor 3!

*readys pitchforks*
 Char Ell
02-16-2006, 9:44 AM
I believe the original KOTOR was designed exclusively for the PC and then they decided to port it to the Xbox not long after. Remember, the Xbox is really just a PC you can plug controllers into and play through your TV, it wouldn't make sense to not make a PC version.Hmmm... perhaps a chronological review of KotOR game series release dates is in order?

2003 July 17 - KotOR for XBOX released (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/starwarsknightsoftor/index.html?q=knights%20of%20the%20old%20republic)
2003 November 18 - KotOR for the PC released (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/starwarsknightsoftor/review.html?q=knights%20of%20the%20old%20republic)

2004 December 6 - KotOR II:TSL for XBOX released (http://www.lucasarts.com/press/releases/95.html)
2005 February 10 - KotOR II:TSL for PC released (http://www.lucasarts.com/press/releases/97.html)

Still think any of the KotOR games were designed exclusively for the PC and then ported to the XBOX? :D

I definitely hope that any future KotOR games are supported on PC since I do not intend to buy an XBOX 360, PS3, or Revolution. However I suffer no delusions that the PC platform drives video game sales. The big numbers are on the consoles. Those of us who play on PC are just hoping we get to come along for the ride... :)
 Cygnus Q'ol
02-16-2006, 9:55 AM
KotOR III, if made, will be 360 bound and console heavy right off the bat.

PC versions will follow later, as always.
 Prime
02-16-2006, 10:03 AM
I hope it has a 360 focus. Then when it is ported to the PC it won't be nearly as limited.
 Darth InSidious
02-16-2006, 10:58 AM
Why do you say that?
 Master Dakari
02-16-2006, 11:45 AM
My conclusion:
Screw Bill! We WILL play Kotor 3!

*readys pitchforks*
*Puts energy cell back into lightsaber and ignites...* I'm with ya'!

I hope it has a 360 focus. Then when it is ported to the PC it won't be nearly as limited.
Yes, but in turn it will run so much better on the PC because the PC is so much more powerful and stable. Oh, and I forgot to add that a PC usually won't burn itself up (unless someone overclocks your videocard without you knowing, and it burns up one day and you don't know what the heck happened...If I ever find out who did that..........but anyway.)

Why do you say that?
He is probably comparing the jump of K1 and K2 from XBOX to PC - and the console limitation you saw there, with the jump of K3 from XBOX 360 to PC. In the case of K3 and the 360, the console's limitations are considerably lessened, and could make for a more aesthetically pleasing game, which might feel even more at home on the PC, than the previous two.
 epithet
02-18-2006, 2:03 AM
There will be a KotOR3. The Lucas Empire is paying attention to the "Old Republic" time period, with new comics from Dark Horse and the inclusion of HK-47 in the latest expansion to Star Wars Galaxies being prime examples. Obviously there is a recognition of the enormous popularity of this little sub-franchise.

What I'm looking for, a few years down the road, is KotOR Online - an MMO which, like D&D Online, will use the D20 rule set like the pen and paper SW RPG. It would be a perfect opportunity, with the Jedi (led by Brianna, or Bindo?) and the Mandalorians (led by Ordo) as well as the Exchange and the Genoharradan all trying to recover from the events of the KotOR trilogy and find their way in the Republic as the Galaxy rebuilds after the "true Sith" are defeated.

Seems like it is too good an idea for it not to happen.
 zadi
02-18-2006, 3:22 AM
The Lucas Empire is paying attention to the "Old Republic" time period, with new comics from Dark Horse and the inclusion of HK-47 in the latest expansion to Star Wars Galaxies being prime examples.

I loved the first Knights of the Old Republic comic. I'm not a comic book fan, I haven't read any comics in year but HAD to buy the KOTOR comic because it was KOTOR.

What I don't understand is Star Wars Galaxies with HK-47. I've never played Galaxies and don't know what it is. But if HK-47 is in it, can you point me in the right direction so I might obtain (buy) the game?

KOTOR 2 (then 1... I played them backwards) is/was the first Star Wars game I've ever played. I never have been a "true" Star Wars fan (seen all movies but that was it) until these games. I'm still not a "true" fan since I'm still learning about the universe of Star Wars and "finding" KOTOR websites.
 TheOneMan
02-18-2006, 4:48 AM
Or the Knights of the Old Republic comic book will be our Part Three. Meaning, they'll lead up to Knights 1 and then finish off the series with the comics...

oorrr...

Their taking their time to produce a quality game for a finisher (Three is usually the end of any series) and are waiting till the actual Knights comic finishes, or at least gets a ways into it.

My guess? EXTREMELY late '06 for X-Box, early-mid '07 for PC.

But then again...Knights 3? *pets his Knights 2 and hisses at everyone*
 Darth Windu
02-18-2006, 6:04 AM
I doubt that a lot OneMan, mainly because of the difference in potential profit. Not a lot of people read comics, and they're pretty cheap (I think, haven't read a comic for about 10 years but hey). On the other hand, huge numbers of people play PC and console games, plus if you look at the price of games compared to that of comics, and you have your answer.
 MachineCult
02-18-2006, 7:07 AM
More people probably play it on the PC, the PC should be the games focus.
 epithet
02-18-2006, 2:33 PM
With regard to Star Wars Galaxies, please do not waste your money. The quality control is laughable, and it gives every appearance of being a game designed only to capitalise upon an intellecutal property license. If accountants, who neither played video games or enjoyed Star Wars, created an MMO, it would be remarkably like SW:G.

Don't take my word for it, however. Go read the forums at station.sony.com and download the free trial version. You can play to level 10.

SWG really highlights the need for development of the Old Republic era, and the KotOR games in particular. These two games represent the absolute best SW gaming experience available. They are the only games in my opinion to capture the feel of Star Wars, and so it is with great anticipation that I await #3.
Page: 1 of 2