Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Vehicle Transportation

Page: 2 of 2
 JediMaster12
01-18-2006, 5:57 PM
3. a)trurrets don't exist.
b) If you meant turrets, if you took out the mini-game, who would really care? Its only 30 seconds in between planets.

On topic: I'm not really interested in vehicles, the Ebon Hawk and Force Speed are enough for me.

Trurrets do to exist, at least when you use Force Speed to type:)

Still I think it is a worthy suggestion because it can get the player to places without having to run all over the place. I was lazy in TSL on Nar Shadaa, I used that speeder everywhere. :)
 Hallucination
01-18-2006, 7:47 PM
You know, you really should be an English Teacher.
Thanks, but I'm a little more ambitious than to settle for that. ;)

So.... why not have this in the game? It would be absolutely optional, if you want to run at force speed you can, if you want to spend some credits on a beast you can. Completely un-connected with the storyline, completely optional, and completely miniscule. Not even more than one mode of transportation per planet, if you want.
Good point, but isn't it going to make KOTOR too short? KOTOR already is very short, and the areas are too small for it to really matter who has the bigger bantha. So to make the big banthas better (alliterations are cool:cool:), they would need to make the areas bigger, and if the areas are bigger it would make using your own to feet rather slow and useless.
 RobQel-Droma
01-18-2006, 8:53 PM
Make KOTOR too short? Huh? I'm not quite sure what that has to do with what I am talking about, or what you mean.
 Clone L68362
01-18-2006, 9:09 PM
Geez, a lot of these topics now are being responded with "No no no it's an RPG, not an FPS!"

This idea is okay.
 Darth Windu
01-18-2006, 10:40 PM
Hey, leave my trurrets alone :P

Sure, you don't need to play Pazaak to complete the game. You only need to do the swoop racing once, but you do need to do the turret game many times.

However, to win the game, you don't need to
- wear clothes
- take companions
- use weapons

You can still beat the game, but still those features are an integral part of the game. :)
 RobQel-Droma
01-18-2006, 11:39 PM
^Somethings that I have not needed or used at times, just to prove I could solo take on 5 Sith in my underwear, with my bare hands.

But anyways, very good point. In the unlikely event that you don't want/can't use it, you don't have to.
 Prime
01-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Geez, a lot of these topics now are being responded with "No no no it's an RPG, not an FPS!"Because many people do not want KOTOR to become a FPS-ish series. ;)
 RobQel-Droma
01-19-2006, 10:19 AM
^But this wouldn't change it into an FPS.
 JediMaster12
01-19-2006, 11:11 AM
I think others are behind you on that Rob.
 Hallucination
01-19-2006, 8:00 PM
Hey, leave my trurrets alone :P

Sure, you don't need to play Pazaak to complete the game. You only need to do the swoop racing once, but you do need to do the turret game many times.

However, to win the game, you don't need to
- wear clothes
- take companions
- use weapons

You can still beat the game, but still those features are an integral part of the game. :)
Prove it. Go through all of K1 without using any party member, armour, or weapon (or cheats/mods), unless they are nessesary to do a quest. And then only at the moment when you need it.
You can't do it, and even if you could you wouldn't be able to prove it

@Rob: I meant that, for a mount to be worth paying for it would have to go atleast three or four times as fast as normal running. In an area that takes 30 seconds to run across on foot, it would take 10 seconds for a mount to run that distance. As you can guess, that wouldn't very useful if you only use it 10 seconds at a time, so the places you can use it would have to be bigger, about 1:30 to run across (at normal running speed). Now, if someone didn't want to use a mount it would really suck for them to run across a place for 1:30.
P.S. Banthas in K1 went slower than walking.
 Jae Onasi
01-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobQel-Droma
You know, you really should be an English Teacher.

Thanks, but I'm a little more ambitious than to settle for that. ;) ...So to make the big banthas better (alliterations are cool:cool,....(snipped)

;) English professor then? :p :)

There are some times that I'd like to zip through an area, and I missed the transit function in TSL. A swoopbike or landspeeder would be nice for that kind of thing.
Of course, we could just ask Scotty to beam us up.... :beam1:

:D
 Hallucination
01-19-2006, 10:57 PM
;) English professor then? :p :)
I was thinking more like Literary God :p (I'll steal that position from ForceFight and make it more...masculine...someday...)

There are some times that I'd like to zip through an area, and I missed the transit function in TSL. A swoopbike or landspeeder would be nice for that kind of thing.
Of course, we could just ask Scotty to beam us up.... :beam1:
:D
I like that system just fine (although I was sad the K1 rapid transit system got thrown away :(. And they didn't even take it out of the Xbox manual!) The thing I won't like is the mount/vehicle thing, mainly because I don't want to see thing become a driving sim. We have games devoted entirely to that genre if people wanted to go for it, but apparently we need 'Grand Theft Speeder: Mos Eisly', minus the theft.
 RobQel-Droma
01-19-2006, 11:22 PM
Prove it. Go through all of K1 without using any party member, armour, or weapon (or cheats/mods), unless they are nessesary to do a quest. And then only at the moment when you need it.
spoiler:
You can't do it, and even if you could you wouldn't be able to prove it

Ok, you can't go through around 21.253492% of the game without those things. :xp: Seriously, first you argue about the correct usage of a word, then you start talking about how much of the game you can go through with nothing equipped. :) You're kind of getting into too much detail with what people say.

And actually, I would dispute you on that. I don't think it is entirely impossible to do without, with the exception of the boss fights and stuff. But as I said, this is kind of pointless and irrelevant figuring out whether you can or can't. Darth Windu's point still stands- there are several things in KOTOR and TSL that you don't need to use, yet are parts of the game.

The thing I won't like is the mount/vehicle thing, mainly because I don't want to see thing become a driving sim.

It isn't going to be a driving sim. Please, all you do is have your character get up on top of a beast, and move faster. Then, you get off, and attack- you can't get on during combat, and you can't use them in some areas. I kind of get the feeling that when one little option is suggested, even if it doesn't change anything, especially the game system and style, is immediately shouted down because "it becomes something else."

We're talking about the most minor of options- I don't know how to describe how miniscule this is. It has no impact on the game, or the gameplay.

I meant that, for a mount to be worth paying for it would have to go atleast three or four times as fast as normal running. In an area that takes 30 seconds to run across on foot, it would take 10 seconds for a mount to run that distance. As you can guess, that wouldn't very useful if you only use it 10 seconds at a time, so the places you can use it would have to be bigger, about 1:30 to run across (at normal running speed). Now, if someone didn't want to use a mount it would really suck for them to run across a place for 1:30.

Think back to K1. Remember the Dune Seas? It did suck to run across it without force speed, because it took a while. Not extremely long, really, but it still took a while. Now add a mount; it takes a little less. You don't have to use it, you could just use force speed. If you didn't use anything, it took a bit to get to the other side- but have I heard people complain about that, or say anything about that? No. And there is a perfect example of what I am proposing.

1) Banthas are only one mode of transportation.
2) You never saw them run, just walk, so- who knows how fast they can go if they really want to go?
3) Anyways, thanks for telling me, but... I don't really understand your point...
 Jae Onasi
01-19-2006, 11:24 PM
:D As long as Grand Not-So-Theft Speeder: Mos Eisley is optional, I could live with it being in the game. Those who want to play it can, those who don't won't be forced to do so. I'd probably not play it more than once or twice unless there was an EZ-speeder mod because I'm not particularly good at that kind of thing and it isn't germane to the story. I have no desire to spend a lot of time trying to beat it. I just want something to use to get around a little easier once I've already been through an area, whether that's a rapid transit function, a speeder/swoop bike, or a guide like the Mandalorian guide on Dxun (or something equivalent).
 RobQel-Droma
01-19-2006, 11:47 PM
^You know what, that is another thought- if you actually decide to use it, you could have in some places a option for it to just "warp" you there, like the Mandalorian guide.
 Darth Windu
01-20-2006, 7:01 AM
Hmmm, interesting. Perhaps in a side-quest there could be a little swoop race thingy, except that you had to steal one and get it somewhere without being killed...
 Prime
01-20-2006, 9:25 AM
^But this wouldn't change it into an FPS.That's why I put the "ish". :)
 JediMaster12
01-24-2006, 2:36 PM
Hmmm, interesting. Perhaps in a side-quest there could be a little swoop race thingy, except that you had to steal one and get it somewhere without being killed...

So turn it into like stealing the Ebon Hawk from Davik? Sounds cool! I liked killing Davik. The Exchange needs to die!!!

There is no emotion, there is peace. I did it again. I need to go back to Jedi boot camp: Basic Training. I'm totally losing it.
 ChAiNz.2da
01-24-2006, 2:53 PM
There is no emotion, there is peace. I did it again. I need to go back to Jedi boot camp: Basic Training. I'm totally losing it.
@JediMaster12
Please stop spamming the threads with your one-liners and "I agree" posts.

While agreeing with a Member is an admirable gesture... constantly doing it over & over, while not contributing anything else to the topic is considered SPAM. Unless you have something else to add to the thread's topic other than simply "cheerleading".. don't clutter up the thread(s) again.

This latest "Basic Training" line is another thing that needs to "not happen again".

Consider this a Warning.

ChAiNz.2da
 JediMaster12
01-26-2006, 11:15 AM
@ ChAiNz.2da: I apologize.

The idea of having vehicles on planets is a good one. I personally liked trying to get the speeder functional on Nar Shadaa. What I disliked was that it was sabotaged by the time you get back to Nar Shadaa after blowing up the yacht. How about the dev making that not happen if they manage to send you back to Nar Shadaa for what ever reason.
 Cygnus Q'ol
01-26-2006, 1:35 PM
It's really not that big of a deal.

It would be cool to use a transport, as long as there isn't to much to it piloting wise. The idea is just to get where you want to go faster. Right?

Hallucination is right though, it really wouldn't be worth it unless the board was really large. Which is OK with me.

I feel the areas in KotOR and TSL were too small anyway, especially if you play it more than 10 or 20 times.

Cut scenes could also be utilized. That way we would get to our destination quicker and visually it would enhance the experience and no one would get upset over a lost RPG feel.

Oh yeah, it would be strickly optional.
Sometimes I like to take my time getting places.
 Lord_Andre
02-22-2006, 3:27 PM
The Idea of a starfighter is good,but the question is what type of starfighter.
In Kotor 1 and 2 whe have two types:the Republic starfighter and Revans
Star Forge prototype starfighter.
 Darth Windu
02-22-2006, 10:14 PM
Huh? What Prototype fighter? We've god

- Republic Fighter
- Republic Bomber
- Sith Fighter
- G-wing/Mandalorian Shuttle
- Basalisk Droid
 JediMaster12
02-23-2006, 11:39 AM
How about a capital class vessel like the Harbinger? You could man the turrets just like the Hawk.
 Lord_Andre
02-23-2006, 3:05 PM
Sorry I forgot about them.The SITH Fighter is Revan's Star Forge prototype,
actualy its a hybrid.You can look at its history at www.starwars.com/databank). :vadar:
Page: 2 of 2