Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

can't run game, error on start

Page: 1 of 1
 darthmacaw
12-19-2005, 2:53 AM
I can access the configuration menu, but when I click "game" a picture of a ship pops up along with the error message pictured at the following address
http://www.savefile.com/files/4241658)

Perhaps that error message means something to you but it doesn't tell me anything I can use.

As far as my system goes, I have an nforce2 with integrated geforce4mx video. I played kotor2 all the way through with no problems on this computer but I can't even start kotor I.

When I tried to play before updating to 1.03, it still wouldn't play but no error message popped up. After updating to 1.03 it was no better, but the error message appeared. I have the most recent nforce2 drivers.

Does anyone know what this error message means?
 The Source
01-09-2006, 9:59 PM
I can access the configuration menu, but when I click "game" a picture of a ship pops up along with the error message pictured at the following address
http://www.savefile.com/files/4241658)

Perhaps that error message means something to you but it doesn't tell me anything I can use.

As far as my system goes, I have an nforce2 with integrated geforce4mx video. I played kotor2 all the way through with no problems on this computer but I can't even start kotor I.

When I tried to play before updating to 1.03, it still wouldn't play but no error message popped up. After updating to 1.03 it was no better, but the error message appeared. I have the most recent nforce2 drivers.

Does anyone know what this error message means?
You can't play KotOR I, but you can play KotOR II?!

***Scratches Head***

What are you specs on that graphic card? Is it below or around 64MB?
 Timber Wolf
01-14-2006, 11:13 AM
Gah, I was about to make a new topic saying the same thing - I get it too. It worked before the reformat... but not i'm utterly convinced my computer hates the KOTOR series.
 DarthDavis92
01-14-2006, 9:21 PM
dude, what the crud, I'm having the same problems
 Jae Onasi
01-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Not being a computer guru on these things, but I can tell you my experiences playing on a laptop with a GeForce4 420 Go 32M [NV17M] card, which doesn't have a whole lot of memory (32MB). Yes, K1 crashes a lot more than K2, and I have no clue why. Sometimes with K1 I get the startup screen and then the game hangs when I hit play.
Some things that have reduced the crashing dramatically:
1. Omega drivers (Quality setting, not performance). This is probably the single biggest thing that helped. See stingerhs' thread in this forum on 'Need for speed on your computer...' for more info. He has some great info.
2. Resolution at 800x600 and low settings on everything.
3. Defragging the hard drive frequently (especially since my hard drive is over half full).
4. RamBooster utility--I don't know how much that helps, though.
5. Turn off all firewalls and anti-virus programs and any other unnecessary things in the tray during game play (you have to be in the habit of turning them back on right after you quit, though!).
6. Rebooting the computer after the game hangs and I bring up task manager to quit--it _never_ loads once it crashes or hangs if I don't reboot.
7. Updated all my drivers
8. I overclocked just a little but not much at all, since I don't want to burn out anything on my laptop.
9. I'm hoping to upgrade to a better video card (or get a new laptop with a better graphics card! ;) ).
10. RegistryFix utility (or other good programs to clean up your registry)
11. Uninstall/reinstall the game

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck!
Page: 1 of 1