Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

? About Kotor 1 Performance on my system.

Page: 1 of 1
 Jeparisoe
12-15-2005, 11:56 PM
Been awhile since I have been around hehe, but I just got a bunch of new parts and I wanted to reinstall Kotor 1. So I wanted to ask everyone on here if Kotor should run nicely on my system( reason being, my old ATI 9800 Pro had so many problems with it ). Anyways, to my system specs. Which are an Athlon 64 4200+ X2 CPU, 2x512MB DDR 400 RAM, Audigy 2, and Nvidia 7800GT. Anyways, I just wanted to ask if it should run well without all the previous crap I had with my 9800 pro lol.
 stingerhs
12-16-2005, 10:35 AM
if you have problems running the game on that machine, there is no justice in this world. seriously, if you have problems running the game on that machine, it would only be due to the game not having support for such new hardware. even then, the chances of having problems should be relatively remote. ;)
 Jeparisoe
12-16-2005, 10:56 AM
Unfortunately the problems have arleady began. First off just running is a little choppy when I know for a fact it should not be even with AA and AF on, I mean for goodness sake I use the same settings on HL2, Doom 3, Far Cry, Call of Duty 2, and Vampire the Masquerade without slowdowns ever.

But anyways the more annoying thing is the fact that the game is just unresponsive sometimes, menu screens lag considerably and seem as though it is not refreshing at all.

While playing through the game my walk key suddenly stops working for a random period of time.... This should not happen on my system and it is really getting on my nerves.

I'm already thinking it is the dual core that is the problem, though. I think I will check into a way to set the affinity to one core and see if that will fix it.

Anyone else with similiar specs having any problems? Or for that matter anyone have any ideas why the heck it would be running so crappy on these specs???
 jmac7142
12-16-2005, 6:45 PM
I have twin 7800 GTX 512's at the moment running at 690/1850 (case air conditioner and PCI fans) and an FX-55 running at 3.4 Ghz (thermo-electric cooling) and get some slowdowns at various places, especially on Dantooine, although the extra memory made a slight difference, I think minor slowdowns (like after cutscenes, on my machine anyways), is inevitable. For the most part though, there's nothing you can do about it. However, you can almost completely get rid of the slowdown after cutscenes by downloading TuneXP 1.5 and selecting the 'Accelerate DLL Loading', as they are played with data from 'binkw32.dll' in your game directory, and there are various other things that may increase your performance as well. But, as for it slowing down in the middle of your game, it shouldn't with your specs, so try turning down your GPU clock speed, as some games *cough*F.E.A.R*cough* react adversely to overclocking, which some cards come from the factory as, i.e a BFG Tech card. It shouldn't be your CPU being dual-core though, my friend has a dual-core and has had no problems with the game.
 lukeiamyourdad
12-16-2005, 10:47 PM
I think you're encountering weird bugs that are unrelated to your hardware.

You're right about the fact that you simply shouldn't have any problems running the game everything maxed out.
Then again, KotOR is known for freakishly poor performances.
 Jeparisoe
12-16-2005, 11:51 PM
I guess I shall uninstall and then reinstall. Do I need to run the game atleast once before install the 1.03 patch? Because I didn't before. By the way I do have a 7800GT from BFG tech which is overclocked by 25Mhz, but I can't see how that could do this??? Never had trouble in ANY other game I play, well I take that back, a few minor issues in Fable and COD2. COD2 being a dual core issue which was easily fixed and Fable I just didn't take the time to figure anything out, but alot of the text would kind of be half there lol, so I just uninstalled it and decided I would worry with it when I felt like playing it( hoping for a patch for it in the near future hehe)

Anyways, it wouldn't be drivers would it? I currently have the 81.95s for my 7800GT......... I swear I have had more issues with this game than any other game I have ever had. Oh yeah, and it is not just poor performance, it is completely unplayable performance, to the point of **** this I am not trying this anymore lol.
 stingerhs
12-17-2005, 9:14 AM
i've heard of a couple of people having issues with the Forceware Drivers past version 80, and i know there's a thread around here somewhere that deals with it...

edit: ahh, here ya go (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=156528). although this may be more of an issue with the SB Audigy2 cards than anything else, you could try uninstalling and then re-installing the drivers as mentioned in that thread.
 Jeparisoe
12-17-2005, 12:55 PM
Well, I noticed something while trying to play Kotor today. it seems as though kotor is using very few resources, so I am thinking that maybe it is not loading fully into my ram and running off pagefile?? Just a thought, but I don't know how to try and fix that if it is. I guess I will uninstall my forceware drivers, use driver cleaner and reinstal them. Oh well, off to test again.
 lukeiamyourdad
12-17-2005, 2:11 PM
although this may be more of an issue with the SB Audigy2 cards than anything else

Weird since I do have an SB Audigy 2 and that never happened :|
 stingerhs
12-17-2005, 10:10 PM
hey, same thing here, dude. but i have to say that i've had weirder things happening with this game.
 jmac7142
12-18-2005, 7:31 PM
It could also be caused by a device conflict if you have an onboard sound device on your motherboard, so if you do, you have to disable it and uninstall the drivers to solve any problem(s) this may cause.
 Jeparisoe
12-18-2005, 7:33 PM
Hmm, I got my audigy and an onboard Nvidia driver for audio, so maybe that would take care of it.
 Jeparisoe
12-19-2005, 3:21 AM
Found out the problem Dual Core+7800GT+80.95 drivers have an issue with this game and a few others I guess, but it is supposed to be fixed on the next driver release. So I just have to wait before I can play the game.... Oh well, at least I know the problem now.
Page: 1 of 1