Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Yoda made Luke's X-Wing come down

Page: 1 of 1
 Jaden25
12-03-2005, 9:26 PM
I am wonder if in Emprie Strikes back if Yoda made Luke's X-Wing
crash because I have been wondering about this since seeing the
prequels let me know if you guys have noticed this thanks
 The Doctor
12-03-2005, 9:27 PM
I alway assumed that Dagobah's atmosphere sucked. I never thought about it that way.
I don't think he did, because he is reluctant to train Luke. Why bring his ship down if he's not going to train him?
 El Sitherino
12-04-2005, 8:42 AM
And why bring him down if Luke's coming to see him, anyway?
 Darth Moeller
12-04-2005, 10:08 AM
I highly doubt that Yoda made Luke crash.
 The Doctor
12-04-2005, 11:01 AM
And why bring him down if Luke's coming to see him, anyway?
Maybe to make sure Luke would find him, but that's just a guess.
 MachineCult
12-20-2005, 5:49 PM
But Yoda went to Luke before Luke had even started to look for Yoda.
 Soltaris
01-04-2006, 9:03 PM
There was no way Yoda was strong enough in the force to pull off something like that by the time EP V came along. He was quite agile with a lightsaber in Ep III but for someone over 900 years old the last 25 years of his life sure did him in. After discussing this with others I'm pretty sure the dark force energies on Dagobah were responsible for weakening him so quickly and ultimately lead to his rapid physical death.
 han sala
01-04-2006, 11:35 PM
Yoda could have did it because if you think about it what is the likelyhood that Luke would randomly land right where Yoda lives.
 JekRendar
01-05-2006, 12:52 PM
There was no way Yoda was strong enough in the force to pull off something like that by the time EP V came along. He was quite agile with a lightsaber in Ep III but for someone over 900 years old the last 25 years of his life sure did him in. After discussing this with others I'm pretty sure the dark force energies on Dagobah were responsible for weakening him so quickly and ultimately lead to his rapid physical death.

I agree with your initial thought about the past 25 years old Yoda's life, however, you completely BOTCH it by mentioning EU! This is the Original Trilogy forum, EU has there own forum. But, I do agree with han sala considering no one knows where on the planet Yoda really is. In additon, we all know Yoda used that as a training exercise.

Perhaps this was a training Luke wasn't a test for Luke, but for Obi-Wan. Yoda wanted Obi-Wan to give him valid reasons why he should train Luke, Yoda may have seen a clouded future for Luke, like Anakin's.
 PoiuyWired
01-06-2006, 4:19 PM
Well, Dagobah's dark forces also saves Yoda from discovery... w/o the dark aura of the planet yoda would have a hard time moving in the known regions.
 Justus
01-24-2006, 4:38 PM
Hard to say really. Yoda could have had Luke's X-Wing crash in that lake. After all, Yoda was wanting to observe Luke's patience and reactions to certain situations. I think it is in the Heir to the Empire trilogy, where Luke returns to Dagobah and he ponders if Yoda did intend for the crash to happen, just to test him. Who knows, perhaps Yoda picked that planet because starships have difficulty landing on the planet due to some natural phenomenon.
 Prime
01-25-2006, 11:00 AM
No way in hell.
 Justus
01-25-2006, 11:23 AM
Upon arrival in the upper atmosphere of the planet, Luke's X-wing starfighter was buffeted by strong winds and fierce electrical storms. His instrumentation died, and Luke crashed into the swamps. Perhaps it was a natural phenomenon. Perhaps Yoda coaxed the storm from the skies. Either way, Skywalker had landed close to Yoda's simple mud hut, and soon began his training.

That's what the Starwars databank says, so it is really open to the interpretation of the viewer I suppose.
 mivoci1
11-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Maybe he wanted to test him first to see how he behave with strangers rembember what he said "I cannot theach him the boy has no patience" and before battle of endor we seen Luke's X-Wing normally landed so Yoda I suppose disabled instruments on his firs trip on Dagobah.
 Zamx
11-10-2006, 4:16 AM
In Darksaber it's said that Luke turns something off, so that he doesn't crash like in EP V. It's also possible that the Force guided Luke to place where he crashed.
 Prime
11-10-2006, 9:18 AM
Maybe he wanted to test him first to see how he behave with strangers rembember what he said "I cannot theach him the boy has no patience" and before battle of endor we seen Luke's X-Wing normally landed so Yoda I suppose disabled instruments on his firs trip on Dagobah.But he knew that long before.

"...A long time have I watched. All his life..."
 PoiuyWired
11-10-2006, 1:30 PM
I think that the Force itself guides both Yoda and Luke to the same spot, as they are "plown like leaves in the wind" so to speak. Now the crushing is not probably yoda's doing, if anything he might have even helped Luke by stopping him from a watery death, toothful demise or worse.

Now, I do believe its the will of the Force for Luke to end up in a place where his mode of escape would at least be temporarily disabled, and I do believe that Yoda does try to prolong Luke's stay. But aside from that I don't see Yoda shooting Luke down from the sky. If Luke were to go to him it would be by Luke's own will, at least that is what Yoda would have believed.
 dark jedi 8
11-11-2006, 6:02 PM
i think its open to the veiwers interpretation, i mean thats what makes a good movie right? however i think the answer to why luke didn't crash in ep.VI is because he is much more attuned to the force and is on the brink of jedi knighthood. so whatever made or caused him to crash in ep.V was either stopped by luke this time or yoda was so near death that he couldnt come up w/the energy or as said before, it was a test for luke. no need to test him again.
 TSR
11-13-2006, 3:00 AM
But he knew that long before.

"...A long time have I watched. All his life..."

All of it? *shudders*

It is quite a coincidence that he happened to land where yoda was, although i'm sure yoda would have had enough strenght in the force to be able to do it. But i guess its a question of Morals, and would he do that? Surely the force would have decided if they were to meet, as the whole movie series is just another twist in the story of the force becoming balanced.
 Sabretooth
11-13-2006, 5:29 AM
It was a crash. Plain as that.
 Mace MacLeod
11-14-2006, 8:52 PM
Meh. Maybe Yoda swirled with the winds a bit so Luke wouldn't wind up on the opposite side of Dagobah. Amazing coincidence that Luke would crash within comfortable walking distance of the only Jedi on the entire planet. Of course, this might be a case of the fans putting much more thought into it than George Lucas ever did.
 Cygnus Q'ol
11-15-2006, 8:42 AM
I would think that if they intended that to be a plot point, then they'd at least had enough forsight to give us a cut scene or two of Yoda concentrating on the storm or reaching to the sky as Luke approched or something.

The fact that there's none of that leads me to believe it was just a crash and left up to our own imagination. Plus the movie would have been another two hours longer had he landed on the other side of Dagobah and had to survive and fight his way to Yoda.

It is curious how he landed so close to Yoda.
I mean out of an entire planet...?
 Darth Badguy
01-29-2007, 2:57 AM
Read the spoiler from ZamX. He's right.

In the sequel series Luke is searching for a cloned dark jedi (c'baoth or something like that). He flies to Dagobah, and guess what? No crash, the X-Wing is fully functional. Luke decides that Yoda obviously crashed him when he first came to Dagobah.
 PoiuyWired
01-29-2007, 10:44 AM
Name of series?? Well I mean can it be that luke's X-wing is glitched/damaged during the escape?

If the crashing thing is true, then Yoda surely have changed.
 Darth Badguy
01-29-2007, 1:29 PM
It's in the series written by Tim Zann... Luke lands on Dagobah, near the Dark-Side-Cave and Yoda's house but he can easily land and everything works fine.
 Captain Sparrow
01-29-2007, 5:59 PM
And maybe that's because he knew how to navigate through the hazards of the Dagobahn atmosphere. After flying down there twice before, he probably knew what to expect.
 Ctrl_Alt_Del
01-30-2007, 3:48 PM
Name of series??

Thrawn Saga. But that's not the only possible interpretation. Maybe the Force managed to shoot him down so he could meet Yoda.
 PoiuyWired
01-30-2007, 5:52 PM
My take on it is always that it is "the will of the living force"

But that may upen up another Living Force vs Unifying Force Discussion.
Page: 1 of 1