Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Flurry or............

Page: 1 of 1
 Rain128
11-29-2005, 4:17 PM
ok.. i tried a few searches and didnt really come up with anything....

My favorite build for Kotor I is Scoundrel/Consular.... i was wondering what combat feat is the best to use with this build... normaly i do flurry just for the shear number of attacks..

or is power strike/Crit. strike the better way to go??

i know that Crit strike 2/3/4 the critical threat range (no im not sure what that means really eather)

At any rate enugh of my blabbering, any help would greatly be appreated :)
 Vladimir-Vlada
11-29-2005, 4:41 PM
Critical Strike is much more leathal if you have great strength, and it has greater chance of causing damage. For Flurry, however, you will require very high dexterity and fortitude because most of the time Flurry will 'miss' the opponent. :rolleyes:
 The Doctor
11-29-2005, 4:57 PM
^That's not true, actually. A well balanced character can hit just as much with Flurry as with Critical Strike of any other attack
 Achilles
11-29-2005, 6:40 PM
IIRC, Power Attack adds a lot of damage to your attack without costing your defense, but hinders your attack bonus.

Critical strike increased the range requirement for a critical hit but lowers your defense for two rounds and drops your damage as well.

Flurry increases the number of attacks that you get but drops your defense as well as your attack bonus.

Again, this is all from memory so I may have muddied some of the details.

As for which one is best; it depends on the build of your character and the opponent you're going up against. You probably don't want to run up against Malak with dual sabers and start wailing away with flurry unless you're strong enough to deal a massive amount of damage. You lose points to your attack roll for dual wielding and defense hit you take for using flurry means that he's going to whomp on you during the next round if you don't take him out.

Critical strike is a lot of fun if you get your critical hit, but again, you have to choose your fights carefully.

Power attack is probably the best for your boss fights if you're concerned about your defense.
 Rain128
11-30-2005, 8:50 AM
ok Cool thanks for the input :)

as for fights, even malak if you stun fast enugh you get it to land... so 95% of what im fighting gets hit with Stun and cant move... so i was looking for the best attak for major Crits.... i read that Crit strike dosnt add up with the Sneak attack (i could be wrong) so i was wondering what would be best.
 Prime
11-30-2005, 10:32 AM
I like flurry. If you have high damage, the extra attack can be devastating. But the others are nice as well.
 The Doctor
11-30-2005, 6:20 PM
ok Cool thanks for the input :)

as for fights, even malak if you stun fast enugh you get it to land... so 95% of what im fighting gets hit with Stun and cant move... so i was looking for the best attak for major Crits.... i read that Crit strike dosnt add up with the Sneak attack (i could be wrong) so i was wondering what would be best.
Your right, Sneak Attack and Critical Strike don't add up when attacking.
Personally, I agree with Prime. I use Flurry more than anything else.
 StaffSaberist
11-30-2005, 6:33 PM
IIRC, Power Attack adds a lot of damage to your attack without costing your defense, but hinders your attack bonus.

Sorry, that's incorrect. Flurry and Power attack lower your dexterity for one enemy attack, giving them a greater chance to hit. Then, when it's your turn again, you have normal dex, attack, defense, etc.

Just wanted to mention that one point. ;)

EDIT - Whoa! Doc's avvy is changed! Nice. :D
 The Doctor
11-30-2005, 7:00 PM
^I like that Peter Davison one so much that I never want to change it. But, the Holiday Season has a strong hold on me, so I thought I'd change it. If you can't tell what it is, it's The Doctor's ship (The TARDIS - Time And Relative Dimensions In Space) with a Christmas Wreath on the door. And it's snowing. And everythings all pretty. I like pretty things.
 Achilles
11-30-2005, 7:05 PM
Sorry, that's incorrect. Tact much?

First, I said "IIRC", acknowledging that I might be off the mark.
Second, I was posting from work at the time, so I didn't have the game (or other resource available).
Third, I'll double check when I get home but I'm still pretty sure that Master Power Attack does not have a defense penalty.
 The Doctor
11-30-2005, 7:17 PM
^You were on LF at work? :tsk:naughty naughty:tsk:
I think he's right, I'm pretty sure Power attach gives has an attack penalty.
 Char Ell
11-30-2005, 7:38 PM
I always thought that power attack gave a -3 to attack at all levels but that was the only penalty. No defensive penalty that I recall. Flurry in TSL however loses any defense penalty when using Master Flurry. But KotOR's Master Flurry still had a defense penalty of -1 or -2.

Of course this is all IIRC because I'm posting from work too so I'm in the same boat as Achilles :p
 spinkle
11-30-2005, 7:43 PM
Hai Wan, you are correct. There are no penalties for using Master Flurry in TSL but there's still a hangover penalty of -1 defense for the same feat in KotOR. I read a calculation/comparison of Master Power Attack vs. Master Flurry, and overall the math weighs in favor of Master Flurry (edit, i'm a moron and said Power Attack the first time). I can link or paste the results if anyone is interested in the comparison. I used to use PA constantly and switched to Flurry just to try it for myself and in general I find it to be six of one, half dozen of the other. Oh, and Power Attack has a -3 *to hit* penalty, not a penalty to defense.
 StaffSaberist
11-30-2005, 7:54 PM
Achilles - Oh, I know. I didn't mean to offend you. I know what IIRC means. ;) But I wanted to make that point. No hard feelings. :)

spinkle - Please, do show us the results. If it's online, you can C&P the URL, if you like.
 spinkle
11-30-2005, 8:07 PM
I'll paste the text of the write up, which is excerpted from a faq that can be found in its entirety here (http://gamerhelp.com/xbox/StarWarsKnightsoftheOldRepublicII/102460.shtml) .

On the three major combat feat front (Power Attack, Critical Strike, and
Flurry), the absolute best of these is Flurry. (Replace with the Ranged
versions if you are using blasters) Why? Because an extra attack is always
more valuable than some minor extra damage to your existing attacks. This
is more apparent at the higher levels when a fully upgraded lightsaber gets
close to doing 100 damage per attack. Let's just say that you do 50 damage,
however, and have both Master Power Attack and Master Flurry.

Note: You can get "up to" 50 damage by upgrading fully just after
Dantooine. That's one of the reasons I go there first, to get
Lightsaber Crystals.

This is an abstraction, not an actual damage comparison. This is just to
demonstrate the differences between Flurry and Power Attack.

Flurry vs. Power Attack

Master Flurry: (1 Lightsaber) Master Power Attack: (1 Lightsaber)
============================= ===================================
50 damage, hit one 62 damage, hit one
50 damage, flurry
100 total damage 62 total damage

Master Flurry: (2 or Double) Master Power Attack: (2 or Double)
50 damage, offhand 62 damage, offhand
50 damage, flurry
150 total damage 124 total damage

Master Flurry, 2 Weapons, Master Power Attack, 2 Weapons,
Master Speed Master Speed
50 damage, offhand 62 damage, offhand
50 damage, flurry 62 damage, speed one
50 damage, speed one 62 damage, speed two
50 damage, speed two
250 total damage 248 total damage

You can see that in every situation, Flurry is better than Power Attack,
even at the Master Level. Master Flurry has an unnamed -1 penalty to hit,
and Master Power Attack gives you a -3 penalty to hit. So, Flurry is
better.

Note: Master Flurry claims in the game to have no penalty, but it still
has a -1 to attack penalty.

Though Dan pointedly mentions the "unnamed -1 penalty," I believe it only applies to the XBox version of TSL, as checking the combat rolls in the PC version did *not* have that penalty. The FAQ also includes a short discussion of the advantages/disadvantages of Critical Strike immediately after the quoted discussion appears.

****, I'm trying to get the formatting to appear properly. apologies for the inconvenience. edit again: i'm having a lot of trouble with this. if someone wants to tell me how to get it looking all pretty, please do, or if a mod wants to edit it to look proper, please feel free.
 Soogz
11-30-2005, 8:39 PM
Yeah. I mean I always go with Power Attack. It deals the amount of damage that I like so... I would go with that. But go with what is comfortable to you.
 Mono_Giganto
11-30-2005, 9:16 PM
Well, if you're a consular, I'd not go for the attack feats, and put your points into defensive feats, like Jedi Defense.
 StaffSaberist
12-01-2005, 12:09 AM
I go for the following combo:

Scout w/Master Flurry by the time I get a lightsaber
Consular w/Master Crit. Strike
A whole ****load of skill/power, including Wave, Stasis Field, Destroy Droid, and, oh yeah, Death Field. Which is very valuable on the second-to-last level of KotOR I. You know, where BioWare designers decided the game wasn't hard enough, and threw about 50 guys at you in one hallway. ;P Apparently they also decided that my framerate had to cut in half.

How does this relate to this thread? Well, what else do I line up the cue with... than Master Flurry. Esp. fighting Malak; I just Flurried, using meds as needed.

I know, it's K1. not K2. But they are basically the same move. ;)
 RobQel-Droma
12-01-2005, 2:11 PM
Most of the time I have used Power Attack, actually. I find it is good for getting rid of weak enemies in one shot. I just have never had that much success with Critical Strike, and I don't really understand all the "Critical Threat" or Range or "Massive Critical" stuff.
 Achilles
12-01-2005, 3:31 PM
^^^^
I've been there before :D

Try this (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=137396)
 RobQel-Droma
12-01-2005, 9:01 PM
I've been there before :D

Try this

Thanks a lot, hopefully this will answer some of my questions :).
 JediKnight707
12-01-2005, 9:32 PM
I usually use Critical Strike on tough guys (like bosses) Flurry for weak ones (like thugs, etc.) and Power Attack for medium (like Sith Assasians).
 StaffSaberist
12-01-2005, 9:34 PM
Nice system. ;)

And I don't think you told me what the text was in that lower pic in your sig. Maybe I just forgot what you said, but for the life of me I can't read it! Please tell me what it says. :)
 Emperor Devon
12-01-2005, 9:44 PM
I would recommend using them all. Each one is good for different situations.
 The Doctor
12-02-2005, 2:24 PM
Nice system. ;)

And I don't think you told me what the text was in that lower pic in your sig. Maybe I just forgot what you said, but for the life of me I can't read it! Please tell me what it says. :)
I think it says:
"Jedi Knights: They don't want to, but if they have to, they will lightsaber your ass in half" or something like that.
 Canderous Ordo
12-12-2005, 6:14 PM
force speeD and flurry is a good combo
 PoiuyWired
12-14-2005, 6:31 PM
Well, Master speed have to be factored in, cause everyone who wants to go for melee combat should abuse Master Speed as much as possable. And Master Speed Stacks great with Flurry (note that for shooting Master Speed only stacks with rapid shot)

This is esp true for dual wielders.
 StaffSaberist
12-14-2005, 8:44 PM
And that is why there is no Multi. ;)

I don't get it. I try to mix my attacks, but I always end up abusing master Flurry, esp. during the Malak fight. No strategy, just Flurry.
 Venom750
12-14-2005, 9:34 PM
i always find myself using critical strike because my flurry mostly miss's becuase he does that backflip thing if you know what i mean.
 The Doctor
12-14-2005, 10:16 PM
Flurry misses a lot in the beginning, but Improved and Master Flurry are more accurate in my experience. Critical Strike is most accurate, of course. That's why I like the base attack - it's a good balance.
 Jae Onasi
12-18-2005, 1:08 AM
I love the Master Speed/Master Flurry combo. I'll use Master Critical strike mixed in, too.
Page: 1 of 1