Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

NO YODA????!!!!!

Page: 1 of 2
 matthujun
11-27-2005, 5:25 PM
Okay, first thing is first, here is the link to the news
http://swempireatwar.10.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=1288)

Ssd not in, legitmate and justifiable..

Interceptor and b wing not in, frustrating, but liveable...

BUT NO YODA? come on..

I mean, it's true he doesn't fight during the ANH nor shows up, but he is like the main/major hero in Star Wars. Besides, the empire has Palpatine and Darth Vader. I personally think we should have at least had him as a support unit, for example you get bonuses for gaining Yoda in you side.

Any thoughts on this?
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-27-2005, 5:28 PM
Just realized that there was no Yoda. Oh well......
 -=Nuke=-
11-27-2005, 6:00 PM
In Fact, Yoda WAS THERE, on Dagobath in his Exile. So if you are Rebґs and get the Planet you should be able to get him.... maybe thats the reason why Dagobath is in the game.
 Logain
11-27-2005, 6:03 PM
no, delphi confirmed no yoda, which i think is good, jedi are annoying in games like this, yoda would be able to decimate armies
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-27-2005, 6:07 PM
I figured out why there was no Yoda by looking at the troopers at the website.
 Snafu7
11-27-2005, 6:13 PM
I mean, it's true he doesn't fight during the ANH nor shows up

And that's probably why he isn't in the game IMO.
 matthujun
11-27-2005, 6:29 PM
no, delphi confirmed no yoda, which i think is good, jedi are annoying in games like this, yoda would be able to decimate armies

Delphi cnofirmed no heroes can wipe an whole army, so i guess we don't have to worry about that

And that's probably why he isn't in the game IMO.

true, but others like Mara Jade, Kyle Katarn never showed up in ANH either
 Jan Gaarni
11-27-2005, 7:05 PM
In Fact, Yoda WAS THERE, on Dagobath in his Exile. So if you are Rebґs and get the Planet you should be able to get him.... maybe thats the reason why Dagobath is in the game.
It's not that. Jedi simply don't fit in this timeperiod at all. And that should be the number 1 reason why there should be almost no Jedi, or Sith, in game set in this timeperiod.

The Galactic Civil War wasn't fought and won by the Jedi, but by ordinary guys like you and me. It's a shame that SOE and their Star Wars Galaxies never understood this, but I hope that Petroglyph has.
 Doc Valentine
11-27-2005, 9:00 PM
Yea but you have to admit with the way they have jedi vs jedi battles in this game, an agro yoda would look pretty cool. :D

-Chuck McMackin
 matthujun
11-27-2005, 9:17 PM
hey, but for the sake of the star wars fans i think Jedi is a necessity in EaW. Petroglyph has to stick to the Star Wars timeline, but jedis are always fun to play with. :)

And although the civil war wasn't fought by the jedis/sith they greatly affected it. There wouldn't have been an Empire if there was no Darth Vader or Palpatine, as where there wouldn't have been the Rebel Alliance without the Jedis
 Jeff
11-27-2005, 9:36 PM
there wouldn't have been the Rebel Alliance without the Jedis
Uh... Yes there would.
 Juggernaut1985
11-27-2005, 9:46 PM
Something else to mod in to fill the gaps. :D
 Jmaster3265
11-27-2005, 10:26 PM
It's not that. Jedi simply don't fit in this timeperiod at all. And that should be the number 1 reason why there should be almost no Jedi, or Sith, in game set in this timeperiod.

The Galactic Civil War wasn't fought and won by the Jedi, but by ordinary guys like you and me. It's a shame that SOE and their Star Wars Galaxies never understood this, but I hope that Petroglyph has.

Kyle Katarn, Mara Jade, Darth Vadar, Obi Wan, and the Emperor (and maybe more)are in...You sure about that?
 -=Nuke=-
11-28-2005, 7:16 AM
Kyle Katarn, Mara Jade, Darth Vadar, Obi Wan, and the Emperor (and maybe more)are in...You sure about that?

Sure, look at the official Page, Subcategory "The Troops" and u will find emґ.
 El Sitherino
11-28-2005, 9:34 AM
Five people out of billions.... that qualifies as almost none.

So yes, he's sure.

As for Yoda, anyone wanting him in is a fool. First, there's no reason for him to be in it. Second, He doesn't fit into the time period. He doesn't help the rebels until Empire when he decides to train Luke, and even then, that's all he does.

So no, Yoda should not be in the game.
 Darth Alec
11-28-2005, 10:25 AM
:wstupid:
 Darth_Extas
11-28-2005, 12:05 PM
:wstupid:
I agree as well
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-28-2005, 1:10 PM
I, too, agree with Insane Sith. Since Yoda only appears in Dagobah. And doesn't do much but live in exile. Therefore, should not be included. :)

Please don't just post "I agree messages" if you agree, state why and then add to the opinion with more facts. Posts like this are just spam. -darthfergie
 gamefreak
11-28-2005, 1:12 PM
althoug yoda was not a key player not every one that is in the game has to be active during the times. they could be used as a marketing scheme, personaly i wouldn't mind since I was looking forword to using him to slaughter every one.
 aggie_john
11-28-2005, 1:19 PM
Yeah yoda was not key to the rebellion in the movies, however..... this game allows you to change history, is that not what they have been selling us. So maybe Yoda does help the rebels out if they control dagobah. I mean really Dagobah is on the planet list, what the hell else does that planet have going for it??? Cheap wood, creapy animals, a place to get away and unwind?
 Jan Gaarni
11-28-2005, 2:23 PM
But the Jedi is such a huge thing in this time period, it fundamentally changes the era in a much larger way than if the Empire won for instance.

Having too many Jedi only cheapens the core of the time period: The people against the Empire.
 matthujun
11-28-2005, 3:04 PM
I don't know why people are saying Yoda did not have great impact on the story, but i think training Luke to be a Jedi is a major task already. And if we applied that analogy about him having very little influence, which seems to be most people's thinking(might be the lack of screenplay),to other characters, it would be exactly the same. For example, Palpatine never even had a screen during ANH, and even in ESB and ROTJ all he did was give message to Vader, and shoot Luke with lightning. Mon Mothma just said some gibberish during the attack on the second death star, and that was all. Yet she is still in the game.

And with the balancing of the Jedis, i guess it might be a bit unfair, but the fact is that sith always have only two "jedis" at a time while the "real" jedis have multiple, but sith might be a bit stronger. Also, they could have just added another sith to the empire by adding yoda in. True, yoda never dwindled his lightsaber, but at least put him as some sort of "blah" or a something like a "flag character"
 popcorn2008
11-28-2005, 3:23 PM
Besides on the PFF forums Delphi already confirmed that Kyle Katarn and Mara Jade will NOT have Jedi powers in this game. Because it is before the time period when there powers are realized. So technically it is only Darth Vader, Ob-Wan, and the Emperor.
 darthfergie
11-28-2005, 3:37 PM
Besides on the PFF forums Delphi already confirmed that Kyle Katarn and Mara Jade will NOT have Jedi powers in this game. Because it is before the time period when there powers are realized. So technically it is only Darth Vader, Ob-Wan, and the Emperor.

Odd, for some reason I thought Mara had her powers. Certainly they weren't powerful and refined like they got to be later, but with the Emperor's enhancement she would have had the power to have taken away Luke's lightsaber while he was calling it to himself on the sail barge. She has powers, and they are realized.
 popcorn2008
11-28-2005, 3:46 PM
Odd, for some reason I thought Mara had her powers. Certainly they weren't powerful and refined like they got to be later, but with the Emperor's enhancement she would have had the power to have taken away Luke's lightsaber while he was calling it to himself on the sail barge. She has powers, and they are realized.
Yeah thats what a lot of people are confused about at the PFF as well. Here is a link to check it out:

http://swempireatwar.10.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=1288)

Here is exactly what Delphi said:
Nope, not unbalanced. Obi-Wan is far more powerful than you think. Also, heroes are meant to be used in combos with other units. You can use them individually, but don't expect to wipeentire armies with one guy.

Mara and Katarn are not considered Jedi in our game.
 Foshjedi2004
11-28-2005, 4:28 PM
I doubt that in the game Kyle Katarn will be a Jedi Apprentice. He didn't become a Jedi until after ANH when he fought Jerec. Mind you where is Keyen Farlander?? The Star of the original X-wing game!!
 Jmaster3265
11-28-2005, 5:02 PM
I, too, agree with Insane Sith.

Please don't just post "I agree messages" if you agree, state why and then add to the opinion with more facts. Posts like this are just spam. -darthfergie

Lol, didn't you just not listen to your own advice? You say to state why you agree not just say "i agree" yet you just did. You didn't explain why you agree with Insane Sith....
 Jan Gaarni
11-28-2005, 5:43 PM
No, he didn't, J.

That last part was written by darthfergie, not Obi-Wan
 Mono_Giganto
11-28-2005, 5:44 PM
That added message was inserted by a moderator, hence why it says "-darthfergie" at the end. Beat me to it. :p

Not really much of a reason for Yoda to be in the game, when he never showed up in this time period. Wouldn't have a lightsaber anyhow, he lost it. So he wouldn't be the superunit so many people seem to want him to be anyway. :p
 Jan Gaarni
11-28-2005, 5:53 PM
When people showed up in the movies are pretty irrelevant really.

Same with when ships and units showed up in the movies. Irrelevant.

What is relevant is when they came off the assembly line, or when they were born. ;)
 Jeff
11-28-2005, 6:19 PM
I don't think Yoda belongs in the game because he never fights at any point in the game and that is what games like this are about, fighting and war.
 Mono_Giganto
11-28-2005, 6:59 PM
When people showed up in the movies are pretty irrelevant really.

Should have probably said "time period." Still not too great of an arguement, but I don't really see too much of a reason for Yoda too be in. It does go a bit against the point of the game, fighting with ordinary troopers and such.
 JediKnight707
11-28-2005, 8:01 PM
Wouldn't have a lightsaber anyhow, he lost it.

I never got this. Yea, he lose it to Palpatine during the fight, but he is a JEDI MASTER. I think that he can make another. Then he would have kicked Vader's ***.
 Thrawn
11-28-2005, 8:11 PM
Katarn was only a mercenary in this time period, so it makes sense that he wouldn't be considered a jedi, but he's still powerful enough to be a hero.

When did Jade become the Emperor's hand anyway? It still makes sense that she isn't a jedi. She may have special abilities, but they are unrefined and not as powerful as she will later develop them.

I dunno, I sort of like the idea of having Yoda in the game. If the Emperor is going to be in as a economic hero or some other non-combat unit, the same status should be given to Yoda. He could be a morale boost for the units of whatever planet he's on or something. As for balance, it would be Vader vs. Obi-wan and a later developed Luke as opposing Jedi, which is not too unbalanced.
 Mono_Giganto
11-28-2005, 9:05 PM
I never got this. Yea, he lose it to Palpatine during the fight, but he is a JEDI MASTER. I think that he can make another. Then he would have kicked Vader's ***.

I don't know why he didn't either, but... He didn't. :p It is a shame that some of the more loved things in the SW movies aren't being included in the game, like various ships and hundreds of Jedi, but I'm sure if given a chance, the game will still be quite fun with trooper against trooper. :D
 aggie_john
11-29-2005, 10:25 AM
Yeah I here the arguement here and its good either way. My point is that Dagobah is a planet in this game. Why???? If yoda is not in it. Maybe yoda can't fight, he maybe like the empereor, he never really fights in the New hope either, never dawns a light saber in the original star wars movies either? Might be a moral unit that rallies their persecptive factions.
 Jan Gaarni
11-29-2005, 11:23 AM
Perhaps, once the rebels capture Dagobah, then Luke can start his training?
I don't know, I don't see a too huge reason for including that planet.

We'll just have to wait and see.
 darthfergie
11-29-2005, 12:26 PM
Perhaps, once the rebels capture Dagobah, then Luke can start his training?
I don't know, I don't see a too huge reason for including that planet.

We'll just have to wait and see.

I don't see much of a reason either. It kind of perplexed me that it was in the game. It never was a pivital planet, even when Luke trained there. So to fight over that planet would just seem a little odd.
 Doomie
11-29-2005, 12:31 PM
Maybe Yoda will be on the planet as a neutral character, that may fight with or against you, but not under your control and only on Dagobah.

Could be, right?
 matthujun
11-29-2005, 3:33 PM
I don't see much of a reason either. It kind of perplexed me that it was in the game. It never was a pivital planet, even when Luke trained there. So to fight over that planet would just seem a little odd.

I doubt you would say this if they didn't put Dagobah in the game.
 popcorn2008
11-29-2005, 3:37 PM
In the movies it may not be a pivotal planet, but the point of EaW is to make your own Star Wars universe history. I sure will implement Dagobah in my galatic conquest.
 Jan Gaarni
11-29-2005, 5:37 PM
I doubt you would say this if they didn't put Dagobah in the game.
Of course he wouldn't have said it if Dagobah wasn't put in, there wouldn't be a reason to. ;)
 Thrawn
11-29-2005, 5:47 PM
A lot of the planets aren't critical to the SW universe if you're looking just at the movies. There wouldn't be any need for the majority of them. Compared to those, at least Dagobah is in the films.
 darthfergie
11-29-2005, 9:30 PM
A lot of the planets aren't critical to the SW universe if you're looking just at the movies. There wouldn't be any need for the majority of them. Compared to those, at least Dagobah is in the films.
So what if it was in the films.

Remember also that even Hoth, even though mostly lifeless and devoid of cities, had a base built on it. That's the only reason it's in the game.
Dagobah doesn't have a city on it. It has lots of life, but no cities. Also no bases. The only reason it's semi remarkable is because I hut was put up there and a certain Jedi inhabited it. There are good arguements for planets like Corellia which are pivotal in the Star Wars Expanded Universe, but don't show up in the movies. Where as Dagobah may show up in the movies, but there is little or no strategic value in the planet, not even to build a base on because the base would probably end up sinking into a swamp. I'm sure there will be some sort of bonus to be gained from occupying the planet in the game which will of course make it valuable, but in my opinion the value isn't warranted for a galactic conquest game like this.
This is why I feel we didn't get a Dagobah in Rebellion and why Dagobah shouldn't be included in this game.
 matthujun
11-29-2005, 10:25 PM
later Dagobah gains the base after Luke establishes his stuff and like that. and they even out a gigantic statue on it where the hut was.

you could aregue that it was EU, but just for the sake of mentioning that it wasn't a wasteplanet forever
 Randomguy2476
11-29-2005, 10:38 PM
why does anyones give flying **** if yoda is in the game when they havn't even confirmed luke skywalker yet. if this includes a new hope how the hell can they not include luke? instead they throw in these completely BS Expanded universe charters while overlooking the main character of the time period? i could understand him not ebing in before with the whole, starts before a new hope. but then they show the destruction of the death star, and emporer palatine. if these things make it in and not luke ive comepletly lost faith in humanity. thank god for mods.
 darthfergie
11-30-2005, 1:44 AM
later Dagobah gains the base after Luke establishes his stuff and like that. and they even out a gigantic statue on it where the hut was.

you could aregue that it was EU, but just for the sake of mentioning that it wasn't a wasteplanet forever
Which book was that? I don't remember reading that one.
I've read Luke going back at least three times that I can remember, but I don't ever remember a base going up in any of the books.

they havn't even confirmed luke skywalker yet.
lol, true enough about the confirmation on Luke, I didn't even think about it, but now that you mention it he isn't in the list at all. Crazy. I guess that shows that the list probably isn't comprehensive.
 Dagobahn Eagle
11-30-2005, 8:01 AM
hey, but for the sake of the star wars fans i think Jedi is a necessity in EaW.
Nope. What about us Star Wars fans who don't want Jedi? I'm a Star Wars fan, hence I want an accurate depiction of the universe without the Jedi and Sith that do not fit in. Sure, they may be fun to play with, but there's a time and a place for everything.

Not to mention that Jedi and Sith are in 99% of all recent Star Wars games. The fans have all the Jedi and Sith they need.

Re-watch A new Hope. Han Solo doesn't believe in the Force, and that Imperial officer doesn't know about the Force (even with Vader sitting right next to him!). Jedi and Sith were mythological figures and the Force was naught but kids' tales. Hence, adding Jedi and Sith into Empire at War is like adding angels in a World War II game or a dragon into Battlefield 2 - litterally.

Add Jedi and Sith in the prequel games, and leave them out of Empire at War.

Why does anyones give flying **** if yoda is in the game
Thank you. Thank you very much.
 aggie_john
11-30-2005, 11:10 AM
Randomguy2476,
Good observation, no luke? nahhhhhh their just keeping stuff from us. Hell i woulnt be surprises if the damn b-wing ends up in the game.

What is this talk about no jedi and there not important to star wars. Hell the whole story is about the return of the jedi. The story of a young jedi leading a rebellion to victory over a dark sith lord. Come on.... People love jedi, why do you think they put them in Battlefront 2. Me I would love to recruit young patawons tht could grow into jedi or sith(dark jedi) over time, but they could be killed in battle no respawn.
 Darth_Extas
11-30-2005, 11:48 AM
Something else with that... I accually believe that the Star Wars Movie series is about Anakin(he is in all the movies). During the first part we do notice all of the side battles and soon the Revenge of the Sith(Peek of Sith power). Though Eagle Empire at War is a prequel game, just to the movies and any game that are around the movie times and/or after. For the most part the Jedi/Sith conflict is the base of the Star Wars universe (asside from the accasional crime problem[ e.g. Bounty Hunters, Smuggling, Robbery, Assasination]). The Rebellion started because the Dark Lord of the Sith, Emporer Palpatine(Darth Sidious) came to power within the old republic's government. As well in the past before the old republic there were sith problems. After the battle of endor too, the reborn Palpatine as well as the rise of the fragmented Imperials left in the galaxy.

A side fact: George Lucas originally wanted the Return of the Jedi movie to be called the revenge of the Jedi... but a jedi is not a person who would get revenge now would he.
Page: 1 of 2