Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Point system in space

Page: 1 of 1
 mogga
11-27-2005, 10:32 AM
Can anybody tell me how the point system works in space combat? I've had battle were I have destroyed basically all parts of the enemy ship (shields, engines, sensor array, communications array, life support, heavy turrets, frigate support, auto-defense mainframe, command bridge, etc...) and they have destroyed none except for my shields. Yet they have won the battle? :mad:
Can anybody tell me how this works?
 Redtech
11-27-2005, 11:00 AM
You get more points (about 15) for wrecking each system and for killing each frigate, BUT you get kills for every enemy ship destroyed. What the AI tends to do, is dogfight a lot better.
 deamonomic
11-27-2005, 12:05 PM
well after you have destroyed all of those things you should take care of their fighters.
 PoiuyWired
11-27-2005, 12:34 PM
also, remember enemy ship engines. they give points.
 deamonomic
11-27-2005, 12:41 PM
jw what difficulty were you playing it on?
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-27-2005, 2:08 PM
For destroying:

Frigates - 18 points
Critical Systems (Sensor Relay, Comm. Array, etc.) - 18 points
Star Fighters - 3 points
Infantry - 1 point
 ParanoidAndroid
11-27-2005, 3:53 PM
The point system works like this, each team must score 180 points (default, you can raise or lower the number) in order to win. Taking down enemy fighters, destroying frigates and critical systems etc all give you points (the values have kindly been listed above). The first team to get at least 180 points wins.

So although destroying critical systems is extreamly helpful to your team as they score large amounts of points, just focusing on them alone might not bring you victory, it is possible for your enemy to win just by shooting down fighters.

Also, just a note, remember to destroy any auto turrets a frigate might have before you take out the frigate itself, each auto turret scores you a point, but you don't get these if you just destroy the frigate itself. It's a small amount usually about only 3 but every little bit helps.
 Darth Andrew
11-27-2005, 6:11 PM
I personally think the point system is lame. How about instead of getting 18 points for destroying a communications tower, you cripple the enemy's communication between fighters on the same team? :rolleyes:
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-27-2005, 6:15 PM
I personally think the point system is lame. How about instead of getting 18 points for destroying a communications tower, you cripple the enemy's communication between fighters on the same team? :rolleyes:

Yes...I agree. That makes total sense.
 ParanoidAndroid
11-27-2005, 6:52 PM
yeah, that sounds like a good idea except, what kind of effect would that have in game? The ships don't even communicate ingame unless you count the background chatter, quite frankly that isn't a big incentive to destroy it.
It would be a good idea if a an actual affect could be found for each system, makes destroying the systems a bit more valuable if they give you points and limits the enemies ability to fight.
 zerted
11-27-2005, 8:33 PM
Outside Shield generator: shields down, can't repair from inside ship
Communcations Array: No team chat (yea, clans just use TeamSpeak)
Bridge: ?
Engines: Less endurance for ships (means can't boost/do tricks as much) or just fly slower
Life Support: Slow damage to everyone in captial ship
Sensor Array: No map and/or no missile lock-on
Round ends when all enemy systems and frigates are destroyed.
 ParanoidAndroid
11-27-2005, 8:54 PM
Good ideas Zerted, except I would probably change the engines to somthing else though, I don't see how destroying them would limit the starfighters ability to boost etc. Maybe it causes them to drift aimlessly making it harder to move around inside of them, or somthing that effects the ship itself, altough this would be hard to do. Maybe reducing speed, booste etc is the best idea, even if it is unrealistic.

I would actually be for ditching most critical systems and making the objective to destroy all enemy capital ships altogether, first by removing the sheilds then by destroying the ship, sort of like a frigate but with alot more health. Maybe systems could be like critical points, targeting them deals more damage to the capital ship as a whole, but once destroyed you can no longer use them to damage the ship. Games would be won by destroying all capital ships or depleting reinforcements (whichever comes first, there would be plenty of reinforcements allowing people plenty of time to destroy most if not all of the ships)

But were probably going to have to stick to the points system, as the whole destroying whole capital ships full of people isn't going to happen.
 Darth Andrew
11-27-2005, 9:40 PM
I meant what zerted said: online anyway, the team would lose communication between each other (except when they are in the same corridor, etc.).

I'd like to expand on zerted's idea of ship systems:

-Each system could be blown up from the inside or outside (there wouldn't be 2 of each).

-Shield Generator: Same as zerted's. Once shields are gone, ship systems and ship hull can be physically damaged. Once ship hull reaches 0%, it explodes.

-Communications Array: same

-Bridge: I'd make it undestroyable, and instead make it one of 3 command posts inside a capital ship.

-Engines: (First of all, I'd make capital ships driveable) Each engine destroyed makes ship lose x amount of speed. Once all engines are gone, the ship is immobile.

-Artificial Gravity Generator (instead of life support; would be inside of ship): Once destroyed, there is very little gravity in the ship. Units soar when they jump or when caught in an explosion. Units skid when they stop running or sprinting. On occasion, units will float in mid-air (should make for interesting battles ;) ).

-Sensor Array:same

Some of these would also require multiple capital ships per side, and frigates could also be entered.
 zerted
11-28-2005, 2:26 AM
Some excellent ideas. I do believe these are possible with some map modding skills and some scripting.

I'm not sure about making the captial ships movable. People would just drive them into each other. Though it might be intresting to drive them so the hangers line up... Even better, block a hanger with the top of the other captial ship. The enemy wouldn't be able to fly into space, and would only be able to attack you with turrets.
 Redtech
11-28-2005, 5:39 AM
I can see the arguments in non clan games though, on who'd driving the capital ship. Especially as they're not "that" fast.
 ParanoidAndroid
11-28-2005, 6:21 AM
Those are good ideas, I would prefer it if the bridge was destroyable CP though. I like destroying diffrent aspects of the ship, and it would be awsome if destroying the bridge denied your enemy a CP If you can't capture it, blow it up! Or maybe thats the place where the ship is steered, destroying it makes the ship undrivable. Of course it would have to be heavily armored, maybe even have it's own personal sheild generator. I love the idea of an anti-gravity generator also, it would make for some very interesting battles.
 PoiuyWired
11-28-2005, 9:41 AM
Nah, movable capital ships would cause many spawn bugs and vehicle bugs.

And the communication jam thing is just stupid. Cause all teams would still use teamspeek.

Other than that, its great ideas. :3
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-28-2005, 11:34 AM
Excellent ideas, Darth Andrew! :)
 ParanoidAndroid
11-28-2005, 3:37 PM
The communications will probably never be high on somebodies destroy list. Maybe if they had actual communications that actually pretained to the game that could be disabled. Like it warns you if the health of somthing is getting low, or if enemies are boarding the ship, more then the basic "the enemy has the flag" or "our bridge has been destroyed" great tell me AFTER it's to late...Somthing like the guy actually tells you if you have somebody on your tail, instead of saying it at random intervels that have no bearing on what is actually going on in the game. Maybe everyone would even have their own call sign, so you know who needs help if somebodies on their tail... However the usefulness of this would be somewhat limited as even if they did pretain to the game players probably wouldn't listen, but it's better then nothing.

I don't think disabling the ability to chat would be a good idea, as it doesn't have a direct impact on gameplay, I mean chat is used for so many other things, like greeting friends, trash talking enemies, explaining why person A should/shouldn't be booted, disabling it wouldn't be a good move in my opinion, granted theirs not alot of options concerning the comm. array. Fortunetly a good affect has been found for everything else.
 Redtech
11-29-2005, 5:59 AM
Well, you could always disable status information on your cap ships from your HUD when it goes down, so you aren't told when something else is getting blown up. Heck, lets add more useful messages, so when it goes "bomber incoming" you know someone is actually bombing the ship! Or "Enemy transport detected", or "We're being invaded!!!" So people are more aware of what's going on...then the comm centre will be slightly more useful.

Actually, can't complain about the other ideas..well done. Just thinking, how about using the bridge to set a pre-set route, rather than true control? So there'd be several set-courses, but you could choose which one to activate, that'd remove clipping bugs as the course could be programmed to avoid routes that avoid crashing.
 ParanoidAndroid
11-29-2005, 6:07 AM
Yes if the messages actually had some bearing on the game, maybe it would be a bit more useful.

I'm liking the idea's of pre-set routes... you set out the path the ship would take from the bridge, and it follows that path unless another capital ship gets in the way or somthing like that, it could work I think, and it wouldn't be as random as letting anybody drive those things, crashing them into who knows what...
 Darth Andrew
11-29-2005, 8:33 PM
Pre-set routes for capital ships sound like a good remedy for idiot pilots. Though I still would prefer truly drivable ships; whether clan or not, a team wouldn't let a complete moron attempt to kamikaze a capital ship. Oh well, pre-set routes would probably be for ze best. :(
 Redtech
11-30-2005, 7:43 AM
When you think about how slow a cap ship is, would you really want n00bs to spend all their time arguing over who drives? I suppose it could lead to clever plans that involve getting in range of the main guns and whatever, but if done well a pre-programmed route would work as well.

Think of all those formations used in Star Trek. They're just pre-programmed routes and then the ship jumps to it.
 MandaloreBIC
03-12-2006, 9:17 PM
don't you dare mention star trek in here, anyway i htink we should make the bridge enterable, and put all of the manual turrent controls in it, if it's destroyed, we somehow get rid of all the ppl inside and destry the manuel seats, and lock the door in, i think it can replace the shiled generator room, and we can move the geneartor to either the life soupport room or the engine room
 Redtech
03-13-2006, 7:57 AM
Don't dare mention Star Trek? I've offended your sensibilities? Hey, at least they have good scriptwriters.

Nice idea with the bridge though. Don't forget you have to "frag" any players in the room though, it's the player's fault for being there when the bridge explodes!
Page: 1 of 1