Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Announcement: General FAQ posted

Page: 1 of 1
 DarthMaulUK
11-22-2005, 6:39 PM
EAW General FAQ

Who is developing this game?
Star Wars Empire at War (“EAW”) is being developed by Petroglyph Games and published by LucasArts, a Lucasfilm company.

What kind of game is EAW?
EAW is a brand new real time strategy game set during the classic Star Wars trilogy.

What is the release date and on what platforms will the game be available?
EAW will be available for the PC in North America on February 7, 2006.

What are the minimum and recommended PC system specs?
The minimum and recommended PC system specs are still being determined. We will update this information as soon as we have the system specs finalized.

How do Galactic, Space and Ground modes of play fit together?
• Galactic: When you are playing on the Galactic map in EAW, you have a big picture view of all the planets in the campaign or scenario that you are currently playing. From this view of the game you have the ability to build up your land and space forces and expand your empire. As you build more space and ground units you can move them around the Galactic map to try and take control of more planets. As you take control of more planets you receive bonuses, such as the ability to increase the number of units you can support, credit increases to spend on building more units, and planetary bonuses which give you access to specific units that you can only build as long as you control that planet.
• Space: As you move your space fleets around the Galactic map to different planets you can initiate space combat if the planet you move them to has enemy space units or space stations in their orbit. You must eliminate the enemy presence before you can take control of the space above a given planet.
• Ground: Once you have control of the space above a planet you can send troops down to a planet and initiate a ground assault and fight for control of the planet itself if there are enemy troops and or a base present. You must eliminate the enemy forces to take control of a given planet.

Depending on what happens or what you do in one mode, the results will persist into the other modes of play. For example: I won a ground battle but I lost half my troops during the fight. I now gain control of the planet which is reflected in the Galactic map and I only have the troops that I finished the battle with still present in my forces. I can build new units and or move them wherever I want at this point. Also during combat if I have an Ion Cannon at my planet and I’m being attacked in space, I can fire it at ships during the space combat. On the ground I can call in bombing runs if I have bombers in orbit. There are other ways these modes of play connect as well.

What gameplay options are included for the single player experience?
Single player has three gameplay types: campaign, scenario and skirmish.
• Campaign: The single player campaign is a story driven campaign where you choose to play as either the Rebel Alliance or the Empire. You can choose to play either as the Rebel Alliance or the Empire and go through a campaign of 24 core story missions (12 each) that guide you and your heroes through your conquest to either bring freedom or total Imperial rule to the entire galaxy.
• Scenarios: Scenarios are non-story driven campaigns where you fight for control of the entire galaxy or just a part of it as either the Rebels or Empire depending on which scenario you choose.
• Skirmish: Single player skirmish mode lets you play on a single land or space map and does not include Galactic mode.

If you want to spend the time taking over the galaxy or just fighting a quick battle and calling it a day, you can!

Can I play on just one planet map or do I always have to play campaigns?
EAW includes a skirmish mode of play for both singleplayer and mutlitplayer that allows players to jump right into the action if you just want to fight a quick battle on a land or space map and not play an entire campaign.

How many planets are included in a typical campaign or scenario (mini-campaign?)
A larger campaign can have up to around 40+/- planets. That would include 80+/- space and ground maps combined. We also have scenarios that let you choose from different mini-campaigns including small galaxies with 50/50 Rebel vs. Empire control or medium sized galaxy with both sides controlling one planet each at the start of the scenario…etc.

What planets are in the game?
Players will be able to conquer or liberate planets like Tatooine, Hoth, Naboo, Coruscant, Nal Hutta, Sullust, Kashyyyk and Mon Calamari to name a few. We will also be confirming all of the planets we have in the game over the coming months.

Where in the Star Wars timeline does the game take place?
EAW begins at a time when the Rebel Alliance is still fledging but becoming a greater threat to Imperial control and goes through to the end of the movie Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope. In the Star Wars timeline it begins at a few years before the battle of Yavin and ends with the destruction of the first Death Star (or destruction of the Rebel Alliance).

Are there any movie characters in the game? If so which ones?
Yes there are movie characters in the game such as Darth Vader and Obi Wan. We will start confirming additional heroes available in the game very soon.

What ships and vehicles from the movies are in the game?
Players can control AT-ATs, Airspeeders, Speeder Bikes, TIE fighters, X-wings, Star Destroyers, as well as many other ground and space vehicles that we'll confirm in the coming months.

Is there any Prequel movie content in the game?
Yes we do have some ships and vehicles from the prequels in addition to some of the planets.

Is there any expanded universe content from the Star Wars books, comic books or other video games?
Yes we do have some expanded universe content in the game and it will also be covered on the confirmed unit listing.

What Star Wars aliens and creatures can we expect to see?
We have a variety of species and creatures in the game such as Jawas, Sarlacc Pits, Rancors, Bothans, Ewoks, Banthas, Wookiees and more!

What affect do they have on the game?
They can affect the game in a variety of ways. Some creatures might be hostile and will attack everyone on site, while others will not. Aliens can also be hostile or might just be hostile to the Rebel Alliance or Empire. They may even be friendly to both and offer their assistance and allowing their forces to be under your command during a battle.

Is there multiplayer component to the game? How many players?
Yes the game will have multiplayer. There is a multiplayer campaign that is a two player 1v1 match. The game will also have a multiplayer skirmish mode that is a 2-8 player 1v1 or team game.

How many factions can you play in multiplayer?
We have 2 factions, the Rebel Alliance and the Empire.

Will there be a demo? When will it be released?
We are looking into the possibilities for what we can do for a demo. There is no release date at this time.

Are you planning to release a map editor for EAW?
Yes, we plan to release an unsupported version of the editor via download shortly after the game is in stores.

Are there plans for an expansion pack? If so when can we expect it?
No official announcement has been made, but we'll be sure to keep our fans updated with the latest news and information on EAW.

DMUK
Page: 1 of 1