Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Please Help! Geforce 3 and X-Wing Alliance

Page: 1 of 1
 gravioli
10-02-2001, 6:52 AM
What is up with the performance of XWA??? I have played through the seven prologue missions and the first Rebel mission with smooth framerates. This is in 1152x864 mode and with the video options cranked (excluding starfield density, space debris, which are set at low and off, respectively. However, in the 2nd Rebel mission, I feel like I am watching a slideshow.

I have tried using the lowest possible video settings with everything turned off in 640x480 mode, but this only results in a minor framerate improvement; I still feel like I am watching a slide show.

BTW, did I mention that I am using a 733MHz Pentium with 320 MB of RAM and a Geforce 3 Should I expect such p*ss poor frame rates with my rig? Come on, you've got to be kidding me! I am on the verge of tossing the game in the trash even though I loved my initial 8 mission experience. Does anybody have some performance tuning suggestions? I'm desperate!

I forgot to mention that I have tried using different video card drivers, but have not seen any noticeable improvements.

Thanks in advance http://www.xwingalliance.com/forums/smile.gif)
 neoc
10-03-2001, 7:01 AM
What drivers have you tried ? i would try a detonator driver that has been approved by the microsoft hardware labs , ie 12.41. have you tried the XWA program patch?

do any other game run slow?

i get perfect frame rates with a Geforce 2 mX
 gravioli
10-03-2001, 3:25 PM
I figured out the problem, and it had nothing to do with my GF3. 3D sound was the problem, even though the 2.02 patch was supposed to have addressed the 3D sound issues. I don't know why I didn't try disabling 3D sound, I suppose that I figured my SB Live! 5.1 would work fine with XWA. Anyway, thanks for responding neoc. XWA is great with details cranked at 1152x864 mode.
 Darth Massacator
10-05-2001, 8:51 PM
A SB Live card huh? You wouldn't happen to be running a VIA chipset (your motherboard) by chance? If you are, I'd strongly suggest you update/flash your bios. That should eliminate any conflicts with your soundcard.
The exact same problem happened to me with Tribes 2. When I got the game, it ran like ....ok, I won't cuss, but it ran pretty bad. Once I updated/flashed my bios with the updated drivers 75% of my problems went away.
Page: 1 of 1