Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

most DISLIKED unit

Page: 1 of 3
 RaV™
11-17-2005, 11:23 PM
Just wondering on people's opions and thoughts on their disliked of BF2, so feel free to comment and vote for the most disliked unit in the poll. I dislike the Droideka, because of how weak it is, without it's sheild.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-18-2005, 1:20 AM
Where is the option for those who don't dislike any of the units?
 hk47
11-18-2005, 5:11 AM
rocket man because he only has one main weapon which takes about 2 seconds to fire and get close to a target then the target goes away and it takes ages to blow up a tank
 zerted
11-18-2005, 6:43 AM
I'd have to say the engineer. Most people try to use him, meaning he must be over powering in some way. Most people should want to use the normal trooper.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-18-2005, 9:52 AM
IF I had to choose i'd have to choose the sniper...since I don't use....wait that doesn't work....well, I'll have to say Droideka, even though I only have used him once. But, I don't really like new controls.
 SirLancelot
11-18-2005, 10:30 AM
I really like all the classes. Though, I would like them to maker the sniper more of a sniper in the next game.
 Darth Alec
11-18-2005, 12:42 PM
I dislike the new sniper, they just dont have the touch, or the accuracy if under close attack. :)
 PoiuyWired
11-18-2005, 1:07 PM
Add a sticker on your monitor and snipers are pretty good. I am annoyed by the heavy trooper though. In BF1 they have an upgraded pistol so they can actually do damage up close. Now their rockets are downgraded against Troops, load time increased, and still take ages to down a vehicle(not fast with sweet spot either)

At least give them either a better pistol or better rocket AoE, or make them load faster
 Redtech
11-18-2005, 1:25 PM
Sniper ain't that bad. Check out the size of her ass! 3rd person view forever, methinks.

With so few vehicle/dominated levels, what's the point of the rocket guy? Especially when my teammates are so efficient with grenades.
 TK-8252
11-18-2005, 4:33 PM
In BF1 they have an upgraded pistol so they can actually do damage up close.

No they don't...

Anyway, I voted Jedi. You all know the drill.
 SirLancelot
11-18-2005, 4:51 PM
I have no real problem with the sniper not being able to do damage up close with his rifle. That's what they have the pistol for. I want the rifle to be a one shot one kill weapon when hitting certain areas of the body(though people would probably scream (OVERPOWERED). Right now, it isn't. The zooming is great, though.
 Micahc
11-18-2005, 4:57 PM
Magna Guard
 ScoutTrooper95
11-18-2005, 5:13 PM
Im going to have to say commander. The only one I like is the clone commander. I still havent tired the new Droideka.
 Rogue74
11-18-2005, 8:18 PM
The blaster pistols in BF1 were great secondary weapons, especially if you were a shocktrooper or sniper. Now they usually overheat before you can defeat someone good who is armed with a blaster rifle.

Engineer is probably my least favorite.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-18-2005, 8:26 PM
I like all the units. I use the Heavy trooper quite alot and the engineer. Both are very helpful.
 MagnaGuard
11-18-2005, 11:50 PM
2 annoying facts about destroyer droids:

#1. if rolling in long bodies of water as tall its height in a ball, you die in three seconds. (for all versions)
#2. in order to roll, you have to push circle when your used to pushing triangle in Battlefront 1. (this is for PS2)

Oh yes...I choose Droideka has my least favourite.
 MachineCult
11-19-2005, 7:20 AM
Theres only three maps with water on them, and theres only enough to kill you in Kashyyyk.

Your second annoying fact is the most petty complaint i've ever heard, it took me a few minutes of playing as the Droideka to get used to it.
 zerted
11-19-2005, 7:53 AM
Add a sticker on your monitor and snipers are pretty good...You can get good without the sticker.
 hk47
11-19-2005, 7:57 AM
i hate Droidekas 2nd because theer bullets go all over the place this time
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-19-2005, 12:01 PM
Theres only three maps with water on them, and theres only enough to kill you in Kashyyyk.

Your second annoying fact is the most petty complaint i've ever heard, it took me a few minutes of playing as the Droideka to get used to it.

Same here.....early this morning like 2:00am, I was playing as CIS vs Republic in IA, and I used droideka for like the first time (used it like once in Mygeeto and was destroyed as soon has I deployed for the ball), anyway I used the Droideka and I was used to it quite soon. Plus, you can change the controls for moving your unit.
 THX1138_Scorpio
11-19-2005, 5:07 PM
Well, I voted dark trooper because I didn't see bothans. And then after I voted I realized that I could have voted for jedi.... I would have voted for jedi definetely. At least you can disable/restrict jedi, but not alot of servers do it. If people saw how much fun the game was WITHOUT jedi/heroes, I think thered be alot more quality servers, but also more nubs complaining "Y rnt jedi on this server??!?!!?!!"
Jedi take no skill, if you want to be a jedi, play Jedi Academy.
 MachineCult
11-19-2005, 6:24 PM
No-ones complained about Jedi in the game since it's release, you know why? Because they work great in the game.

Go play SWBF1.
 TK-8252
11-19-2005, 6:28 PM
No-ones complained about Jedi in the game since it's release, you know why? Because they work great in the game.

Or maybe because beating a dead horse = bad.
 SirLancelot
11-19-2005, 7:30 PM
Jedi are the signature characters of Star Wars and the way they were implemented in this game was well done. I have no problem with them being included.
 DarthAve
11-19-2005, 10:24 PM
Commander. Their guns suck, and they're such wannabe heavy troopers.
 jawathehutt
11-19-2005, 11:36 PM
bothan spies
 HordaK
11-20-2005, 1:57 AM
I play the sniper most, but i dislike the way they made him...

A Sniper rifle should not be a close combat weapon like it is atm, you should not be able to fire without zooming, o.k. the disruptor in the Jedi Knight series is the same, u can use it without zooming in, so u can even use it as a "Pistol"...but thats not a sniper weapon i want...i want a "1 shot + reload" rifle that kills with 1 shot or at least 2 (if i hit the legs)... otherwise i dont get a real sniper feeling if i dont need to zoom to be precise with my rifle, some of u will say now "the sniper will suck then with a 1 shot + reload rifle" and then i will say, "no u just need skill now to be a good sniper", atm its just an "oh i missed but who cares i can waste 5 more "bullets" until i have to reload"-feeling, i hope some "sniper fans" out there know what i mean. I would prefer the Projectile Rifle which u can use in the "movie battles 2 mod" for JA, this is a "1 shot + reload" rifle, which is really deadly in the right hands, and its a weapon that gives a better sniper feeling than the Battlefront SRs give. I really hope that LA will make the Battlefront sniper some day a real Sniper not just a "Blaster Rifle Trooper with 1 more zoom level" like its now.

Some of u will agree with me and others will try to tell me that its a sniper with a modern Sniper Rifle, and i will say then, "maybe it is, but theres no real sniper feeling" and for that feeling i even miss the prone
 hk47
11-20-2005, 7:11 AM
i bearly use sniper only to get the auto turret grid and sometimes i get 5 kills without reloading in close combat but i only use it when its needed otherwise i use it for killing from long range
 Redtech
11-20-2005, 11:03 AM
Erm, with no targeting cursor, unless zoomed, you should be laughed at if a n00b sniper kills you at close range.

Anyway, sniper rifles are not all bolt-action (of course, that gets into a realism debate).

I know, replace the sniper with the Quake 3 railgun. That way, if you miss, you're never going to be able to live to take the second shot! (4 second cooldown time). Sorted, another class nerfed.
 hk47
11-20-2005, 11:48 AM
i like useing it for close range but i normaly use soldier for that.
 Bane706
11-21-2005, 4:39 PM
The Worst unit is the Imperial Commander w/ the wimpy geanosian sonic blaster. Even though he's allright with his Launcher that is the only thing to keep him alive until ammo runs out.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-28-2005, 10:56 PM
Agreed. Imperial Commander aren't that great when their ammuntion is out on the Mortar Launcher. I have to say, that the Imperial Commander is disappointment. :( Could have been better.
 Redtech
11-29-2005, 5:55 AM
That's a bit like saying the Bothan is rubbish when he reloads his disintegraor in the middle of a fight.

The imperials are meant to suck. ;)
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-29-2005, 1:34 PM
I don't mind the Bothan Spy. I personally don't use any of the cammanders except the Clone Commander. But, I am stil am disappointed with the Imperial Officer. Could've been better.
 droidekaslayr
11-29-2005, 4:27 PM
i going with commander, the clone is the only good one
btw ne1 who votes for regular soldier should have their game destroyed
 biny
11-29-2005, 5:40 PM
I hate Droidekas. They make me wanna shoot something. So I shoot them and then I DIE!!!!
I've never played as them because I don't play as CIS, but I'm sure that they wouldnt be much different from BF1.
 PoiuyWired
11-29-2005, 6:26 PM
Erm, with no targeting cursor, unless zoomed, you should be laughed at if a n00b sniper kills you at close range.

Anyway, sniper rifles are not all bolt-action (of course, that gets into a realism debate).

I know, replace the sniper with the Quake 3 railgun. That way, if you miss, you're never going to be able to live to take the second shot! (4 second cooldown time). Sorted, another class nerfed.

Well the sniper rifle is deadly at close range. Headshot is sooo easy.

Targeting Crusor? There is something called "tape a cross on your monitor"
 The Eyes
11-29-2005, 7:45 PM
I picked Bothan spy because I never do good with them but they annoy me as the empire, but sniper is a close second because there arent many good sniping spots anymore.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-29-2005, 7:58 PM
Well, it looks like the Droideka is the least favourite unit of most people. Then in second the Jet/Dark trooper and Heavy Trooper, and in third, the sniper.
 zerted
11-29-2005, 8:03 PM
...Targeting Crusor? There is something called "tape a cross on your monitor"Ever heard of not cheating?

...sniper is a close second because there arent many good sniping spots anymore.You can get to a few good spots by using the sniper's auto-turret as a stepping stone...
 Redtech
11-30-2005, 7:48 AM
Well the sniper rifle is deadly at close range. Headshot is sooo easy.

Targeting Crusor? There is something called "tape a cross on your monitor"
There's also such things as aimbots, and other nasty hacks out there. Why not just make it like the JK one where you need to charge it up to cause max damage?

You do realise that every game in existance with a sniper rifle (bar MDK) have had complaints about the sniper rifle.
 THX1138_Scorpio
11-30-2005, 9:38 AM
Theres a reason why snipers in real life are the most distrusted and shunned. Also they have a MUCH higher suicide rate in the military.... thought I'd just add that in for those who like to snipe.

But they are necessary on the Front, no doubt. I do like the idea of having it like the JK series Disruptor Rifle that you charge.
 Fate's Decision
11-30-2005, 10:02 AM
To tell you the truth, the droideka is the best unit up against infantry bots. He has a shield and the best ROF, and in this game it's much easier to dodge grenades, you just hit duck and roll forward while holding the dash button. When you're out of range, set back up again and wait for them to come back. You have to be shot once in order for your shields to start going down automatically, so you can keep it on and guard vital areas like flags in 2 flag ctf. Not to mention that it only takes em 5 seconds to charge it back up. They have infinite ammo, can recharge in about 3 seconds when overheated. One time on GC I was playing as the CIS. The Republic had attacked Naboo, the only planet next to their fleet. Last I checked the score it was 50 to 3, us losing. I went and respawned as a destroyer and it was like, 48 to 1 (it was a miracle I was the only guy left). I was getting my butt kicked, they just kept blasting the crap out of me, but somehow, I ended up killing the whole crowd. Then I went around for like, 10 minutes killing all of the rest 1 by 1. It was pretty sweet, since half of them were in those chicken walker things, especially since this was the first time I had ever played as a droideka.
 Rebel_Trooper
11-30-2005, 4:40 PM
I'd have to say Sniper because they just don't have the cool feel to them that they have in games like Delta Force and Battlefield.

Then General Vee... Imperial Officer I mean, because he's just so messed up he's a joke. He's not even an Officer (as most people think of them- think Moffs and Admirals and anyone in grey who shouts "Rebel Scum!", not General Veers) for a start and his primary weapon is a GEONOSIAN SONIC PISTOL which completely contradicts the long established Imperial hatred of Aliens. And it sucks. Commando pistol or the Precision Pistol would have been nicer. The Mortar Launcher isn't anything to advertise. Rage isn't all the rage and Recon Droids aren't unique to him.

Then the Jet Trooper. Overpowered in SWBF1? Yes. Now? He's just a free kill much of the time. It's not his weapon, it's his Jetpack, from which he derives his name. 5 seconds of slow flight. What's the point? Giving him 10 or 15 secs flight time isn't going to overpower him. He's weak and has a pretty poor weapon, high target and only 4 of him at once!

Surprisingly, I don't mind the Droideka.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-30-2005, 7:24 PM
I certainly agree wit the idea of the presicion pistol for Imp. officers. Like the Clone Commander has a chaingun. The Magna Guard has the Bulldog, and the Bothan Spy has an Incinerator. And all he has is a pathetic Geonosion Sonic Blaster as his primary weapon....WTF?
 zerted
11-30-2005, 7:59 PM
I've been trying out the Sonic Blaster and its not as bad as I first thought. Do you know it can shoot completely accross the map farther then the sniper rifle? The sniper rifle has a long, but limited range. The Sonic Blaster does not have a limited range.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-30-2005, 8:03 PM
I too don't mind the Sonic Blaster that much...just I think the Imperial Offucers should have a better primary weapon.
 ParanoidAndroid
11-30-2005, 9:06 PM
Me too, I find it an okay weapon it's just that I don't think it's sonic effect fits the character, it should be a highly damaging accurate laser blast with a low rate of fire, basicly the same thing but with a laser blast instead of a sonic one. That's just a cosmetic change of course, he's still a bit of a lightweight compared to the magna guard or clone commander, then again he is never against the clone commander or magna guard, only the bothan spy.
 zerted
11-30-2005, 11:37 PM
...he's still a bit of a lightweight compared to the magna guard or clone commander, then again he is never against the clone commander or magna guard, only the bothan spy.
Thinking about it, the weapon seems ok pairing it with the Bothan Spy. The sonic weapon seems to have the largest radius out of all the weapons. That means less shots to uncover a hidden spy. I still don't think its an effective main weapon though.
 JohnLocke
12-04-2005, 1:31 AM
I'd say heavy weapons. Though compared to BF1 it does more damage against vehicles.
But the main problems I have:
No auto lock-on.
Almost no noticeable splash damage against infantry. Almost meaning: remember in BF1 when a rocket would strike the ground, even if the infantry wasn't killed, at least they were thrown back. Now it seems they take damage, but keep moving and acting like they were hit with pistol fire.

2nd to that I'd say snipers. Though they all have two zooms, there's no reticule without zoom. Plus, the reticule seems less accurate than BF1.
Page: 1 of 3