Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

random/fixed item generation

Page: 1 of 1
 spinkle
11-14-2005, 7:48 PM
although i do like the random loot system to some extent, i'd really like to see it better implemented in KotOR3 (can i sign Stoffe up for the K3 development team in advance? :D)

even better IMO would be a larger number of fixed-item points in K3. There were vastly more in K1 than K2, and it helped to make struggling through the big fights a little bit more rewarding. Getting Nihilus' mask after defeating him was kind of neat, but how about a usable item for the effort? Pulling random useless trash off of Sion can be a real letdown...of all the times i've been through the game (more than 20 at this point) only once did i ever receive anything worthy of note after defeating him. (Ankarres Sapphire, if you're wondering) However, killing Darth Bandon midway through K1 gives you armor, a saber and a large credit reward. Getting swag and loot is half the fun of playing!

I realize that the ability to choose planets can/could interfere with a fixed-item scheme, but it's certainly feasible if it worked for K1...and i think a good balance between random and fixed items would be an overall improvement.

Sorry this is so long...comments and concerns welcome.
 Darth333
11-16-2005, 10:02 AM
I think the random loot idea in K2 was good but as implemented, the system was a bit too random...

They could add more conditions such as taking into consideration the planet you are on and the race , per example. I found it weird to get only LS robes on Korriban, powerful gloves for unarmed combat on the Ravager when I no longer need them, tons of Onasi blasters, and droids and turrets with pocket money.

They should also ensure that you get some objects at certain points in the game. Once I was playing a DS consular, which means wearing armor is pretty useless because of Force powers restrictions and I had to go through Peragus, Telos, Nar Shadaa and half of Dantoine before finding a robe... :mad:
 Bob Lion54
11-16-2005, 10:15 AM
hehe Couldn't agree more. I like the idea of a random loot, but it is a little too random.

I mean, how many robes did Onassus have? And the same colour, too! Who would have thunk it?! hehe

I think for K3 they should have a unique item list. When you recieve an item from it, like the Onassus robes for example, they should be removed from the list. That way, you wouldn't get 5-6-7 of the same "unique item." You could only get one.

Certain items, such as the Onasi blasters, you could get twice. To me it makes sense if Carth used two blasters. (Though in the case of the Onasi blasters, I just told myself that they were a line of blasters made in his honor. hehe)
 Prime
11-16-2005, 10:18 AM
Yeah, I got a Jedi robe after killing one of the little creatures on Dxun. Did it eat a Jedi or something?
 spinkle
11-16-2005, 7:05 PM
...and who knew that turrets liked wearing Jal Shey Meditation gloves and Zeison Sha Warrior armor? ;)

@Darth333 i agree entirely...more conditional drops would be great too!
Page: 1 of 1