Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Endor movie style

Page: 1 of 1
 Fate's Decision
11-14-2005, 10:34 AM
just imagining, would it not be cool to have a Deathstar map that correlated with Endor? Like the rebs on Endor would try to take out the shield generator while the starfighters hung out at the deathstar, waiting for the shield to go down taking out as many tie fighters as they could. I don't know why they made these seperate maps, they happen at the same time!
 Redtech
11-14-2005, 10:47 AM
Play Star Wars Empire at War it pretty much does it. (If there's an Endor map!)

They're seperate maps because you can't be in two places at once!
 ParanoidAndroid
11-14-2005, 3:41 PM
Yes I think it would be pretty cool, they couldn't be the same map of course, but they could have two seperate maps being played at the same time, when you spawn you pick which map you wish to fight on. Then the outcome of one battle would directly affect the other. Basicly if the ground team loses, your screwed.

The space battle would be pretty big, with at least 4-5 capital ships per side with alot of frigates, and the Death Star would serve as a spawn point for lots of fighters. If you fly too close and the sheild was still up you would be destroyed. Basicly you have to defend your capital ships/frigates until the generator is down (there would be B-wings as well of course). Once the generator was down you would have to fly into the opening and destroy the core, then get out and watch the fireworks, assuming you don't get shot down by a TIE intercepter first...

To bad there will never actually be a map like this for battlefront, much to big and complex, but I can't help but think about how cool the level would be.
 Fate's Decision
11-14-2005, 5:53 PM
I meant pretty much what you said. Yes, they are two seperate maps
 Daddyboom
11-14-2005, 8:48 PM
and you could be luke and escape
 Redtech
11-15-2005, 5:56 AM
Nice plan. Paranoid. I'd hate to try running a server with it running though. :)
 ParanoidAndroid
11-15-2005, 6:05 AM
and you could be luke and escape

More likely I would be one of those random, fat, bearded pilots, you know the Porkins clones that always seem to die... I think there was one in all the original trilogy.

Ah yes these things are so much fun to talk about but it would be a pain to actually make though wouldn't it? Soo much lag, and I can imagine how angry some people would get if there teamates were to incompetent to to blow up the sheild generator or the Death star (of course this guy would be to busy sitting in a turret or TKing ewoks to actually help himself).
 Barcrest
11-15-2005, 10:22 AM
Anyone played battle for endor??? It's basically the space battle part you guys are on about.
 Fate's Decision
11-15-2005, 10:24 AM
I'm sure that as soon as the Sheild Generator went down there would be a ton of fighters going for the glory. I doubt that they would all just screw around or TK people with the secondary objective right in front of them.
 ParanoidAndroid
11-15-2005, 5:42 PM
I was just commenting on how some people can critize the performance of others, without realizing there not doing anything to help. In reality you'd probably have all the fighters attempting to cram into the death star at once ignoring anything and everything around them. This would ultimatly be more harmful then helpful as it would make them all easy prey to approaching TIEs without anyone watching there backs.

As for the battle of endor, never heard of it, maybe I should give it a try. Really I think it would still be an awsome battle for battlefront though...
 Daddyboom
11-15-2005, 7:06 PM
i remember somwhere i saw a picture of an xwing with the death star 2 in the backround, im still not sure whewre i saw it though
 deamonomic
11-15-2005, 8:27 PM
would it be possible on the xbox 360? also you can switch between maps. this way if your in the space battle and you see that they need help on the ground when you respawn you can choose a map. and the other way too. also im one of the people who would be watching your back. i would give up my chance at glory so that others may get it. im not saying i would never make a run at it. but most of the time i would rather have someone else get the glory.
 Redtech
11-16-2005, 6:10 AM
When you run a server, you have to run a map, obviously. That Endor design is basically two maps in one (unless they did a really cool workaround, like the Mothership UT2k4 level). The current BF method would hog bandwidth like anything. Would you get enough human players to make it worthwhile?

Also, what happens if the rebels get beat? Sucks to be them in the space battle then! I think it'd need a ton of work to get right, because space levels are at a different pace then ground battles. I'd get ticked off if I've killed off all the frigates, nuked the life support etc off all the Star Destroyers and then found out that the guys on the ground haven't started reaching the bunker yet!
 Fate's Decision
11-16-2005, 9:47 AM
that's pretty much how all space battles work. If you get pissed enough, you could always go down and do it yourself.
 Redtech
11-17-2005, 7:27 AM
Not when doing so would mean your team loose the space battle.

I'm thinking Geonosis would be better than Endor though, as the ultimate objective is KILL EVERYONE! So you would even get the chance to fly the AT-TE-carrying Gunship variant down to the surface to reinforce, or techno union ships and TradeFed frigates could launch to aid their brethren in space. The "space" height wouldn't be too great though, mainly sub-atmosphere so you could watch the battle from ground level, and you could do bombing runs on enemy installations, while they could down your stuff as well.

Oh, and no "main command posts", the Republic use their command ship, while the CIS have a destroyable spire. So on ground, the CIS need to push the republic off the map by nicking all their posts, so they can't reinforce nearly as fast, while protecting their spire...while the Republic need to protect their flagship and can launch attacks on ground and space targets.
 zerted
11-17-2005, 10:12 AM
That is a doable and very good map idea on Geonosis Redtech. The CIS would spawn on the ground and the Republic in space. The Republic invades the planet to destroy the CIS, and the CIS attempt to get away through space (ie: destroying the Republic captial ship). I hope someone does this. It can be done very well.
 ParanoidAndroid
11-17-2005, 3:13 PM
Yes! that sounds like an awsome map Redtech. It would be awsome, try to land your gunships or AT-TE's on the planet so troops can spawn and capture the bunkers and destroy the techno union ships, then the final assault on the spire. Or be the CIS and try to keep the rebublic off the planets surface to claim victory. I really hope someone could make a scenario like this.

As for Endor, it seems to focused on destroying the sheild generator, on one hand this might be fun, on the other it could just get annoying.

However even if getting the two maps to correlate is impossible or impractical that's no reason Endor couldn't be an awsome space battle. It could be set up so that the rebel's must defend their fleet so that they have at least one capital ship remaining (hopefully more) when the sheild becomes deactivated (it would automaticly go down after a certain period of time) then the rebels must destroy the Death Star before the imperial fleet destroy's them. To make it more exiting they could have the Death Star actually shoot and destroy capital ships, maybe 1 shot every 10 minutes, of course it would be set up so that the rebels get at least 2 capital ships by the time the sheilds are down. (this is with just the Death Star shooting of course, if the rebels arn't careful the imperial fleet could wipe them out completely) Okay, so maybe the whole superlaser thing is a bit over the top, but I still think it would be an awsome space battle.
 Fate's Decision
11-18-2005, 10:34 AM
I'm sure at least a few people would stay up there to defend the capital ships, if it bocomes pop enough.

I think the Geonosis idea is sweet! You could have like a republic star destoyer that included tons gunships and AT-TEs. If the gunship uses the "land" command on an ATTE, it will attatch on to it and rise back up. Then the ATTEs have to attempt to land somewhere where the ATTE can reach the battlefield before they get ripped up by the CIS's starfighters. There is one cp already belonging to the Republic (the Arena cp), but tons of geonosians spawn there and CIS cps surround it. Unless the Republic ground force somehow manages to capture another CIS cp their only hope are the ATTEs, which can allow them to spawn and capture cps if they can land.
 Redtech
11-18-2005, 1:04 PM
HEY MODDERS ARE YOU LISTENING?? :P

Fate's Desicion, Zerted has a cool way of setting up STARTING CPs (No republic land ones, no CIS space ones)..after all, it means you can pull off the Gunship landing in the Geonosis arena ANY WAY YOU WANT! (Yes, drop an AT-TE there, or even do bombing runs...or be stupid enough to get one 'jacked'.)

Thanks for the heads-up. Now if only I could map...
---------------------------
Android, your Endor is pretty cool, reminds me of the Assault missions in UT, where you have to 'hold the line' as one team, or 'press forwards' as the other team.
 Fate's Decision
11-18-2005, 9:18 PM
Uhh...me no follow. I still think gunships should be able to carry ATTEs.
 Fate's Decision
11-18-2005, 9:42 PM
well in the movies the jedi hang around there for a little bit. That's why the geonosians and several surrounding CIS cp would be essential so that it would be too hard to hold onto, but then again, you would have to be pretty good to set it up so that only jedi could spawn, other wise it would kind of straif off the storyline. I can picture all of what you are saying, and it makes perfect sense. To make it even better, you could have the mini-deathstar things (the ones yoda commands to shoot down). If you didn't gun them down, they would reach the atmosphere and allow CIS starships and wot to spawn (much like an assault ship). That's about as good as it can get, unless you can get those jedi in the arena. OH and the demon dogs and rihnos and spider thing could spawn there!
01834172-3Then you could put in some popcorn, give 'em some drugs, switch to ultra-wide and create an equanox resulting in 4-D!!!!@@@iiiiWe need hitler for this one! "Bleakin' Shmee!" "Grutgen nact vseich!" and then the empire is oll like, takin over and the smeagols rule the world and frodo finds his finger and terminator goes on vacation at the hima.:blueblas1..bahamas and the 4-D becomes 5-D and smeagols head is amplified to that inless the gunships make it to the atmosphere, mario will harm Yirisho Kioyama. It would be perfect!
 Redtech
11-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Drugs are bad. Okay? :P
 zerted
11-20-2005, 9:28 PM
Drugs are bad. Okay? :P
Depends on your point of view.
 RaV™
11-20-2005, 9:42 PM
This sounds like a nice idea, but it would most likely never happen.
 ParanoidAndroid
11-21-2005, 5:52 AM
That probably sums up all my ideas and suggestions for the game, the sound really awsome (to me at least) but in reality they will probably never happen.

If only I could map, but i'm hopless at modding...
 myee8
11-26-2005, 12:10 AM
Perhaps there should have been another game section to go with the current 3 - something to do with movie scenes, where you can for example fly an X-Wing and try to fire the proton torpedoes into the Death Star, or trying to infiltrate the Endor bunker where you actually have to make your way thru the forest, blow open the bunker door, fight your way thru, place the dets, and get the hell out of there!
 deamonomic
11-26-2005, 12:24 AM
maby it would be in a battlefront 3 if there is one? i mean id buy it just for that if anything.
 Darth Alec
11-26-2005, 3:45 AM
Oooh, now you people make me want so much more then is ever gonna happen.
Page: 1 of 1