Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Does the timeline go far enough?

Page: 1 of 2
 DarthMaulUK
11-14-2005, 7:45 AM
Lets debate this one!

Ive seen alot of posts against the idea and some for it.

Personally, the chance to re-write the history of Star Wars excites me. Ending the timeline (in terms of Tech) at a New Hope, is fine by me. There has to be room for some expansion (maybe) and of course, it gives the Modders (as we have seen) the chance to show off their work. And some of it looks incredible.

It makes for an interesting game and with just 12 weeks until street, there really isnt much time left to debate as most of us will be busy playing!!

DMUK
 Nokill
11-14-2005, 8:03 AM
its fine whit me to many time periods is maby yust to messy and this is the best one :)
 -=Nuke=-
11-14-2005, 8:30 AM
No Problem here with it. I think its good to say ANH is the end for THIS game.

Especially if u think over balancing. If u add some stronger Ships like in Episode 6, there wont be that much attention for the smaller Ships.

And also, as said before, the is a lot of room for Modders or even for Expansions!
 Jeff
11-14-2005, 8:36 AM
I like how it ends at ANH because like you said DMUK you can rewrite Star Wars history for that movie. It wouldn't be realistic if units that weren't around in ANH were included. I like the way they are doing it. And plus it gives the modders something to do :)
 Jan Gaarni
11-14-2005, 2:41 PM
I'm abit disappointed we didn't get to ask the question I posted for the chat, namely if it was true that the game, not the tech tree (this we knew already), ends at ANH. Meaning we get to play for 2-3-4 years (or whatever many years they settle on the game starting at prior to ANH) up until the events of ANH and then game over.

That was the key issue I wanted to be answered propperly in the chat. :(

If this truely is the case, I'm feeling alittle left down on this game.
 BattleDamage
11-14-2005, 4:13 PM
i agree jan, it does say we get to rewrite SW history, and if it ends at ANH it doesnt really let us does it? I really think it should be more like rebellion in that respect, where you get to completly control everything and can play as long as you want.
 darthfergie
11-14-2005, 4:56 PM
i'm quite fine with it. It'll be interesting to see their interpretation on how the two distinct cultures of the prequels and the OT mix. I'm really intregued. I really really love the OT I have to admit so it's a tiny perversion in my mind, but I think it will go a long ways to unifying the two in my mind. I really can not wait to see their interpretation of the transition. (For that matter I can't wait to see books on the transition). The real establishment of the Empire. And I'm excited about taking hold of the Rebel Alliance and manuevering them to galactic liberation.

Also I'm quite confident I'll be buying an expansion pack that takes the tech tree and story line all the way to ROTJ and a little past, so it honestly doesn't worry me much. lol

In all the tech being only to ANH doesn't worry me much at all, especially since you can see snowspeeders and AT-ATs and A-wings sitting out there. I don't know why they bothered to say that when they show hoth AT-ATs vs. Speeders, etc. heh.
 StealthWar42
11-14-2005, 5:10 PM
As long as they make an expansion that goes to RotJ, stopping just at the second death star battle, I'm good with it. Otherwise, if there are no plans for an expansion, i'm slightly disappointed that some of my favorite ships won't be in there (and no death star lasers fired at capitol ships) but it won't stop me buying this awesome looking game.
 gamefreak
11-15-2005, 10:24 AM
Notice how every one who said "Nope! I want everything" didnt post why. Includung me but thats becuase im just greedy but after reading every ones post i change my opinion to "Yes im fine with it".
 shadowsfm
11-15-2005, 6:29 PM
i noticed there is at-ats and snow speeders and speererbikes. and that the tie advance is the imp intercepter.

but still i feel we need bwings and tie intercepters and a deathstar 2 and a super isd. the game just feels incomplete with out it. its like watching epesodes 1-4, then asking, is that it? blow up one death star and the rebs win? then your just missing half of the rebelion wars. no hoth war. no death star 2 war. yeah i know we can fight for hoth. but its just not the same. a screw it. atleast give us a bwing
 Jeff
11-15-2005, 6:53 PM
^

Deathstar 2? Why would we have that? It doesn't fit the timeline at all, and The Empire already gets the first death star, I think that's enough...
 Jmaster3265
11-15-2005, 8:11 PM
Well to me i am disapointed it stopped at episode 4, I wish they went up to episode 6. but i bet they did this on purpose like many game developers to give room for expansions. (Great way for them to make more money ;))
 Sithxace
11-15-2005, 8:41 PM
ha exactly what i said before, show me the money
 darthfergie
11-15-2005, 10:30 PM
i noticed there is at-ats and snow speeders and speererbikes. and that the tie advance is the imp intercepter.

but still i feel we need bwings and tie intercepters and a deathstar 2 and a super isd. the game just feels incomplete with out it. its like watching epesodes 1-4, then asking, is that it? blow up one death star and the rebs win? then your just missing half of the rebelion wars. no hoth war. no death star 2 war. yeah i know we can fight for hoth. but its just not the same. a screw it. atleast give us a bwing

The thing about making an SSD is just that it would be severely unbalanced with the rebels. While they could come up with some creative ways the rebels would balance it behind the scenes I'd also rather not see another "Bulwark Battlecruiser"
 StealthWar42
11-16-2005, 12:10 AM
Deathstar two apparently has a different superlaser, one that takes less recharge time therefore allowing the capability for destroying capital ships.
 Jan Gaarni
11-16-2005, 11:19 AM
The thing about making an SSD is just that it would be severely unbalanced with the rebels. While they could come up with some creative ways the rebels would balance it behind the scenes I'd also rather not see another "Bulwark Battlecruiser"
If they were to balance it out, the Bulwark Battlecruiser would be the only option to go with. :)

Like you said, we don't need to see yet another super battleship on the rebel side. :p
 darthfergie
11-16-2005, 3:33 PM
If they were to balance it out, the Bulwark Battlecruiser would be the only option to go with. :)

Like you said, we don't need to see yet another super battleship on the rebel side. :p

Especially since I really question the existance of the Bulwark Battlecruiser. It isn't mentioned at ALL in EU and it's only mention is in rebellion.
It's just a cop out by the rebellion devs to try and balance the sides when nothing really matched the power of the SSD which is why I knock its stats down whenever mess with RebEd.

for those of you who are totally lost and have not played Rebellion:
Bulwark Battlecruiser
designed and manufactured by TransGalMeg, this older battleship found acceptance in the Alliance fleet during the Galactic Civil War. Many felt that the ship's electronics and sensors were too finicky for regular combat, but the Alliance found that the Bulwark was more than adequately armed and shielded for battle. Most Alliance Bulwark battlecruisers served as mobile command bases for smaller fleets, which were detached from their primary battle group.
source:
Rebellion, copyright 1997, from LucasArts Entertainment Company
 THEredGERBAL
11-16-2005, 4:04 PM
My only comment is that I'd love for it to go further, however it goes far enough tro satisfy me.
 Darth_Extas
11-16-2005, 9:10 PM
same here, but it is too bad they cannot have a death-star II that can destroy capital ship. It goes to a reasonable amount of time I suppose
 SirLancelot
11-17-2005, 1:12 AM
I have no issues with the timeline ending at Episode IV. It leaves the possibility open for expansions.
 popcorn2008
11-17-2005, 3:05 PM
I will let them slip with the Death Star. At least we have the first one, but I will not forgive them for the absence of the TIE Interceptor. I mean if the rebels get star fighters from Return of the Jedi, then I think the Empire should as well.
 Jeff
11-17-2005, 4:15 PM
I will let them slip with the Death Star.
Did you actually expect them to include the second Death Star? Even if the timeline did go longer it wouldn't make sense to include both the first and second death stars.

But I do agree about the TIE interceptors, I wish they had been included.
 AFK
11-17-2005, 5:41 PM
[QUOTE=Darth Moeller]Did you actually expect them to include the second Death Star? Even if the timeline did go longer it wouldn't make sense to include both the first and second death stars.

I agree. It would be redundant, yet the battle may be needed to finish the storyline, at least of the trilogy.
 Jan Gaarni
11-18-2005, 12:12 PM
I will let them slip with the Death Star. At least we have the first one, but I will not forgive them for the absence of the TIE Interceptor. I mean if the rebels get star fighters from Return of the Jedi, then I think the Empire should as well.
Which starfighter? :confused:
 Admiral Sith
11-18-2005, 1:34 PM
A-Wing i think he means. I wouldnt buy this game at all if it werent for Legacy at War. TIE DEFENDER OR BUST
 StealthWar42
11-18-2005, 7:34 PM
Darth Moeller -

there have been a few posts already about WHY the second death star should be in the game. The fact is that the first deathstar had a superlaser that could only fire once a day, it needed time to cool down. The second death star had a new prototype of the superlaser which took very little cool-down time, thus enabling it to be able to fire at capitol ships every so often (ala Return of the Jedi).
 Jeff
11-18-2005, 7:41 PM
there have been a few posts already about WHY the second death star should be in the game. The fact is that the first deathstar had a superlaser that could only fire once a day, it needed time to cool down. The second death star had a new prototype of the superlaser which took very little cool-down time, thus enabling it to be able to fire at capitol ships every so often (ala Return of the Jedi).
I'm very well aware of this. But it wouldn't make any sense to include both in the game.
 Jan Gaarni
11-18-2005, 8:07 PM
Darth Moeller -

We are aware of that.
But the fact remains, the Tech Tree goes only up to and including ANH, plus a couple of extra units from shortly after. That is the main reason why the 2nd Death Star isn't included.
 popcorn2008
11-18-2005, 10:18 PM
Which starfighter? :confused:
The A-Wing for the most part. I think if the rebels get that, than the Empire should get the TIE Interceptor.
 Jan Gaarni
11-19-2005, 7:17 AM
Well, I do agree with your there. :)
 darthfergie
11-19-2005, 2:04 PM
The A-Wing for the most part. I think if the rebels get that, than the Empire should get the TIE Interceptor.

Truely truely you say to me.

The A-Wings are the Interceptor's are arch nemesis and vis versa. I guess their argueing that since they're allowing the Advanced in that it's okay. Personally I think the advanced was a hunk o' junk that was a prototype for a reason. Interceptors are the true sucessor where as the Advanced wasn't put into full production.
But ultimately, Gimmie a Defender anyday. ;)
 SirLancelot
11-20-2005, 5:07 PM
Yeah, the A-wing was the fastest and most maneuverable of the rebel fighters.
 StealthWar42
11-20-2005, 6:17 PM
Guys, guys, you're missing the point of the thread: this is pretty much like a debate if whether or not the timeline goes far enough. If this were titled "Discuss how far the timeline goes" your argument would be valid, but it's not, it's called "does the timeline go far enough?" So those of us who say "no" we're just giving reasons why it doesn't, from our point of view.

Yeah, I know that it truly doesn't make sense to include them both seeing as the game really does only go up to ANH, but those of us who want it to go further like ROTJ are just trying to make a case, being that there could have been TWO death stars.
 Jeff
11-20-2005, 6:26 PM
being that there could have been TWO death stars.
Seeing as that would make for a terribly unbalanced game.
 SirLancelot
11-20-2005, 6:30 PM
I agree.
 StealthWar42
11-21-2005, 12:43 AM
Once again, you're missing the point... but whatever.
 Jeff
11-21-2005, 10:39 AM
Once again, you're missing the point... but whatever.
No, we're not.

Yeah, I know that it truly doesn't make sense to include them both seeing as the game really does only go up to ANH
And it wouldn't make sense if the timeline did go farther either.
 gamefreak
11-21-2005, 1:33 PM
Simple Idea, when you build the new one it auto replaces the first one.
 StealthWar42
11-21-2005, 5:16 PM
Why WOULDN'T it make sense if the timeline went further? Technology improves over time, the same rule applies to the death star. The first design of the death star only had a superlaser that could fire once a day. The second design had a superlaser that could fire multiple times within an hour. How does this not make sense to you? It would be like a tech upgrade... it would just be somewhere between ESB and ROTJ time that you would research the tech "Death Star Prototype II" and then your current death stars would be upgraded.

I fail to see how this does not make sense...

------------------------------

Another thing, you haven't exactly shown how it DOESN'T make sense, other than it would be "incredibly unbalanced."

You DO realize that such a unit would cost tons of money? And if the rebels DID manage to destroy the death star (upgraded or not) it would deal out a severe loss of resources to the Empire? Not to mention that being able to blow up a planet is the main job of the death star, and it ALREADY HAS THAT. Adding the ability to fire seldomly at enemy capital ships would look like a minor adjustment compared to what the Death Star can ALREADY do. It's not like it would be able to fire rapidly into a capital ship battle, it would only be able to fire like once every 5 or 10 minutes (I don't know the exact lore time).

I think one of the points of confusion here between the pro- and anti-deathstarII people is that they would NOT be separate units. There wouldn't just be TWO death stars floating around, it would just be one and then it could be upgraded... ala Age of Empires, whenever you upgraded a unit it just changed entirely. Kind of like that.

EDIT: And once again, I KNOW that the game timeline only goes to ANH, but also once again, read the first post. This is about debating whether or not the timeline goes far enough, this isn't about discussing what we get in the current timeline. So stop saying "it wouldn't make sense because it doesn't fit in the timeline."

-Use the Edit button to avoid Double Posting- Message from: popcorn2008
 Jeff
11-21-2005, 5:47 PM
You had been talking like they would both be present in the game at the same time, or that is how I understood you. Now if the timeline did go to RotJ, then upgrading the death star would make sense like you said.
 popcorn2008
11-21-2005, 5:48 PM
StealthWar42, please avoid Double Posting. Also, please calm down and dont get so aggresive toward anouther member of the forums, espicially a moderator. Remember we are here to discuss EaW in a friendly manner. Please keep your debating at an appropriate level.
 StealthWar42
11-21-2005, 5:53 PM
Well, he was just saying "that doesn't make any sense to include both" and he wasn't even giving a reason. I didn't feel as if I was overly aggressive either, it's not like I was just shouting obscenities... any capitalized words were there just for emphasis, not shouting.

It would have been clarified a bit easier if he just came out and said "two death stars existing at the same time would be overkill" but it got a little complicated, since I didn't explain my opinion enough and he didn't either. So I needed to clarify what I and other pro-DSII people were saying in-detail... sorry, but I don't see what's wrong with that.

I thought double posting was just when you accidentally post two of the same things at once... sorry bout that.
 popcorn2008
11-21-2005, 5:56 PM
Well, he was just saying "that doesn't make any sense to include both" and he wasn't even giving a reason. I didn't feel as if I was overly aggressive either, it's not like I was just shouting obscenities... any capitalized words were there just for emphasis, not shouting.

Okay, I wasnt sure if the caps were shouting or not. Different people use them differently.

I thought double posting was just when you accidentally post two of the same things at once... sorry bout that.
That's okay. I corrected it so no harm done.
 StealthWar42
11-21-2005, 5:58 PM
Yeah sorry... i won't use caps anymore. Sorry Darth and popcorn!
 Jan Gaarni
11-21-2005, 6:02 PM
Use bold text to emphasis words. Or use an italic/bold combination to really emphasis words. :)

Capital letters usually means you're shouting. ;)

As for the double posting, your second post was long enough to have been allowed.
But since popcorn2008 already edited it into your first, I'll just go ahead and remove it completely. :)
 TheMonsterOfTheIsland
11-28-2005, 7:27 PM
Basically, if Petroglyph doesn't plan on expanding and/or giving us cool toys in some sort of map editor (i.e. Suncrusher, Galaxy Gun, Dark Troopers, Yoda, etc., then they are just wussing out on what would be both an amazing marketing opportunity and a service to longtime fans of the series (especially of the Extended Universe).

Also, seeing as how the game is apparantly very modder-friendly and that the modding community is already working on several new toys, the interesting yet small scope of the game's timeline can be overlooked/forgiven.

But one point must be made clear: mods are not always a sufficient substitute for an expansion pack, and if the people at Petroglyph have either a) a sense of decency or b) brains, they will release at least two expansion packs (ANH to ROTJ, TPM to ROTS).

I repeat: YOOOOODDDDDDDAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!
 Adama
12-20-2005, 5:14 PM
It should go up to EV it would be so much better. All the improved units ie. TIE Defenders, E-Wings, Bothan Assault Criusers, Impstar Deuces and more super weapons and as Reggie said YODA! lol
 Foshjedi2004
12-20-2005, 7:09 PM
If they added loads of extra stuff what was the point of LoW modelling this then??

http://legacy.gamemod.net/Uploads/teaser.jpg)
 Jeff
12-20-2005, 7:33 PM
Well technically the less oportunities for modding a game has in respect to adding things that make sense with the time period, the better and more complete the game is. But I see your point :D
 Stival Discipal
12-20-2005, 9:57 PM
I would say yes... I believe that as long as the game is balanced, and the heroes aren't too "godly" we all are in store for a great game. If it culminates with Luke or someone destroying the Deathstar, then im fine with it. It leaves us at a perfect point for an expansion, and that is cool with me.
Page: 1 of 2