Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Problem w/ Episode 1 Racer PC Version - Acceleration Boost Glitch

Page: 1 of 1
 StarWarsGooN
11-07-2005, 8:58 PM
Has anyone been able to fix this problem yet for this game??? I'm not sure whether it has to do with running the game in Windows XP or on a fast computer machine with a fast processor with a high end video card. ? I've used the 'White Screen' fix I got from LucasArts' web site, and I have all the latest hardware driver updates for my computer. But the acceleration / boost meter in the game continues to flicker really fast and can't use the engine boost! I've also tried the alternate compatibility mode option in XP, but just seems to make the game run choppy.
Also, not to go too much off topic, but a similar glitch happens like this as well in the Star Wars DroidWorks computer game, where you try to move a droid and the droid acceleration meter in the game flickers really fast - especially when trying to make your droid go up any sort of certain steep slopes or inclines! Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

System Information:
ABIT KD7 VIA KT400 Motherboard
! Gig DDR PC2700 333 RAM
AMD Athlon XP 2400 2 Ghz processor
ATI Radeon 9800 SE 128 MB
Sound Blaster Audigy
 Cataflexia
04-12-2007, 6:36 PM
I have the same problem with the white screen.

Do you could tell me where is the 'White Screen' fix for download it?

Thank's a very much.
 Mil
08-06-2007, 1:04 PM
We had the same problem as you for many many years. But recently we found a patch for it that fixed it (for PC) :-D
You just go to lucasarts FTP ftp://ftp.lucasarts.com/patches/pc/ download SWEP1RCR.EXE and replace it with the original... and voila... it works again :-D
(bear in mind that there are 2 different SWEP1RCR.EXE files. One in the folder I linked to and one in the subfolder called "International", which is slightly larger. I dont know the difference. I used the one I linked to)

I just need to get it to work online now... somehow... have really tried a lot now, and nothing so far works for me.

Best Regards from Denmark
 grievous797
08-26-2007, 1:18 PM
Excellent I had the same problem, thanks for the link to the patch.
 Burner
09-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Has anyone been able to fix this problem yet for this game??? I'm not sure whether it has to do with running the game in Windows XP or on a fast computer machine with a fast processor with a high end video card. ? I've used the 'White Screen' fix I got from LucasArts' web site, and I have all the latest hardware driver updates for my computer. But the acceleration / boost meter in the game continues to flicker really fast and can't use the engine boost! I've also tried the alternate compatibility mode option in XP, but just seems to make the game run choppy.
Also, not to go too much off topic, but a similar glitch happens like this as well in the Star Wars DroidWorks computer game, where you try to move a droid and the droid acceleration meter in the game flickers really fast - especially when trying to make your droid go up any sort of certain steep slopes or inclines! Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

System Information:
ABIT KD7 VIA KT400 Motherboard
! Gig DDR PC2700 333 RAM
AMD Athlon XP 2400 2 Ghz processor
ATI Radeon 9800 SE 128 MB
Sound Blaster Audigy

I've solved the problem with the boost flickering in Star Wars Racer...if you want to know how I've done it...please contact me either by emailing me or by sending a private message :blaze6:
 TripHammer
09-27-2007, 2:28 PM
I don't get it... What's the big secret? Why not post your solution here where we can all see it?
 Mil
11-15-2007, 6:15 PM
Yeah I wonder that too.. if its any different from my patch solution then pls post your solution

~Mil
 Iron Herald
10-21-2008, 9:23 AM
not to revive a dead thread or anything, but I solved the boost problem by using mouse control instead of keyboard. It's a lot harder to use, it's like learning how to play all over again, but at least you can boost. I'm trying to get this game working again, I wish they'd make a compatibility patch or make a sequel, this was such a great game, everyone loved it, I don't see how it should just fall away because it was based on an old star wars movie.
 StarWarsGooN
12-01-2008, 5:36 PM
From LucasArts FAQ Regarding Star Wars Episode 1 Racer PC
Q: I am getting a white screen at the start of the race or having trouble running the game in Windows XP/2000.
A: We have received reports of problems with our Windows 95/98 game titles from users of Windows 2000. All of our original Windows 95/98 titles were developed and tested using only the standard Windows 95 & Windows 98 operating systems. Windows 2000 was designed for business users and is not currently compatible with all Windows 95/98 applications.

LucasArts cannot guarantee full compatibility of our original Windows 95/98 titles with the Windows 2000 operating system. Unfortunately, Racer is not officially supported for use with the Windows XP Operating System.

However, we do have a new executable file for the game (Swep1rcr.exe) that we are currently testing. This new .exe file addresses a known issue with Racer in Windows XP, where users encounter a white screen once they enter a race. This fix usually works for Windows 2000 users as well. We recommend that you download the new exe file for the game from our FTP site at:

ftp://ftp.lucasarts.com/patches/pc/swep1rcr.exe

Simply copy or save this file into your Racer folder on the harddrive (the default location is C:\Program Files\LucasArts\RACER). When you are asked if you want to overwrite the existing Swep1rcr.exe file, select yes. Then try playing the game once more to see if the new file corrects the problem.

If you use a mail program which has security precautions which will not allow you to download the updated file, please highlight and copy the FTP address above, and paste it into the address bar on your web browser to download the update.

Please note that this updated version of the game exe is for the domestic (U.S.) and other English versions of the game. If you have a non-English version of Star Wars Episode I Racer, please write back and we can send you the international version of the update.

At your earliest convenience, please write back and let us know if this update allows you to run the game without any problems.

If you experience any sound issues during gameplay, please exit the game and try the following:
Try adjusting the sound card's "hardware sound acceleration level" in the DirectX Diagnostic Tool Sound menu.
- Exit the game
- Click on the Windows Start button
- Choose "Run..."
- Type DXDIAG in the "Open" field and click OK
- Select the Sound tab on the DirectX Diagnostic Tool
- Lower the "hardware sound acceleration level" one notch and click "Exit"

Try playing the game with this setting. If the problem continues to occur, you may want to return to this menu and try a different acceleration setting.

You may need to reset sound acceleration to the original setting once you have finished playing the game to avoid problems with other applications.

Note: When playing Racer under Windows 2000/XP, you should select the option to create a new player on the main menu. We have received reports that using the default player file, Anakin, will cause the game to not save your progress once you exit the game. Simply delete or remove the default "Anakin" player file profile in the menu and create another different one.
-----------------------------------
 Ashpool
12-13-2008, 12:19 AM
Hi! Finally It appears I managed to solve the problem with the flashing boost bar.

First you need the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=24da89e9-b581-47b0-b45e-492dd6da2971&displaylang=en)

Download, install.

Run the program named "Compatibility Administrator".

On the top you can see a folder named "Applications". Open it and search for "Star Wars Episode I : Racer". Copy this entry and paste it into the the bottom folder named "New database(1) [Untitled_1]" then select this folder rename it accordingly (Racer fix for ecample) and save it somewhere (File ->Save).

Now that we saved it we can "Install" this "Racer fix" database.
File ->Install
Now every time you run the game the windows will apply this fix.

Play the game and have fun. Hopefully the screen is not white and you can use your turbo-boost.

;)
 zoamelgustar
01-15-2009, 4:18 AM
You enable the mouse int the settings. And even if you do this the keyboard controls still work. Start a race. Dont press anything in the keyboard!!!
Click with the mouse and wait for the first BOOSt sign. When it comes now you
could release the mouse and play with the keyboard and it still BOOSt well.
But You have to do this at the start of a new race unless it will not work.
I hope this will help you. :)
 mario1983
06-25-2010, 4:18 PM
When I was trying to download the swep1rcr.exe patch, the message said the IFORCE2.dll was not found.
 ezrydn
07-24-2010, 2:26 PM
Odd new problem has popped up. I have my original "Racer" CD and installed from it to C:Program Files. Then, I downloaded the patch from the Lucasarts FTP site and transfered it into the program files. Now, when I attempt to run the game, I get the following:

"rdroid_gnome release build has encountered a problem and needs to close."

That's it. Game won't go any further. Any clues???
 SeanFMT
12-31-2010, 3:17 PM
Hi. I'm new to joining this forum but after trying out every possible suggested, after a few years I'd almost given up trying to get rid of the whitescreen problem.
However, I recently installed Knoppix linux onto a USB flashdrive, installed WINE, set that to Windows 98 and inserted the Star Wars Racer disc and everything worked fine. I know most people would like it installing on windows, but believe me, this way was soooo easy and I couldn't believe that I didn't need any patches or anything.
http://knopper.net/knoppix/)
http://www.winehq.org/)
Hope this helps :)
 msannehathaway
01-08-2011, 12:54 AM
When I was trying to download the swep1rcr.exe patch, the message said the IFORCE2.dll was not found.

hi,

You can go to this site ..
http://www.fix-all-dll-errors.com/iforce2.dll/)

as I registered few dll's from this site as it is free...worked in my case :)
 diekmann
06-06-2013, 10:45 AM
Ahoi,

Since I spend a long time investigating in this issue, I whanted to share my "solution":
-for the white/black-error install the xp-patch as linked by StarWarsGooN
-for the boost you not only have to press boostkey at green light, but to press "nose down"key at green light, wait for yellow light and then press boostkey

Because I did not remember the boost-"trick" I tried everything:
-sveral patches
-in vm-ware-machine on linux and windows host witch win-xp, win98, win95 as guest
-same with virtualbox (doesn't work because 3d isn't fully the same than physical card)
-several tries to map boostkey differently
-[...]

for a short time i thougt of installing win98 on a real pc... in 2013 :cyb3:
 Cataflexia
08-21-2014, 4:19 PM
The black screen continues in some video cards.

I've two PC with Windows 7 64 bits.

In one I've a AMD Sapphire HD7950 and Pod Racer work very fine (with the mentioned patch from StarWarsGooN)

However, in the other PC I've a NVIDIA Zotac GTX 260 with the exactly same game (I've copy/pasted from the first PC) with the same patch, but the PC with the nvidia card show a black screen when I enter in a 3D Environment (Ex: When I enter in Singleplayer and the geometry is showed, but in this case all appears black). Only appear the 2D graphics like menu, options, etc.

Also I've applyed the Microsoft Application Compatibility FIX mentioned by Ashpool, but nothing work in the GTX 260.

GTX 260
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1152x864q90/673/klDA4l.jpg)

HD 7950
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/537/YzUGUh.jpg)
Page: 1 of 1