Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

is every space battle gonna be near a planet?

Page: 1 of 1
 Sithxace
11-07-2005, 6:29 PM
are we just gonna have space battles by a planet or actual like deep space battles. Id like to see like maybe instead of havin a starship facility builder on a planet for the rebels to find and try and stop, but maybe like have a space station in the middle of space hidden, only probes would find it, or maybe traps where INTs are set in a trade route, to where u have a small fleet goin by its stuck out of hyperspace and the imps do a surpirse attack.
 Jmaster3265
11-07-2005, 6:33 PM
No, offense but what do you think? Are all battles in star wars by planets? Wow what a dumb question, it is common sense. I'm sorry but wow....
 Sithxace
11-07-2005, 6:38 PM
im not talkin about the mopvies, im talking about the game, and if u want me to get really technical like a lot of epople in this forums who read the books and play the other sw games, yes there are battles in deep space. Im askin if the game will be, u cant say its a dumb question if u havnt played the game and dont know the answer, im askin it just to start a new topic to kill time before this interview comes
 Tie Pilot
11-07-2005, 6:53 PM
No, offense but what do you think? Are all battles in star wars by planets? Wow what a dumb question, it is common sense. I'm sorry but wow....

Jesus, what's with all the hostility? It's a legitimate question. From what we've seen so far it looks as if battles are going to be centered around planets only. The guy just wants to know if there are deep space battles and I'd like too as well...

I'm sorry but wow.. no need to be an ass..
 BattleDamage
11-07-2005, 7:09 PM
to answer your question tho, i really cant remember where i heard this, but i remember listening to a Q&A with one of the developers and he asked the same question and the develpoer said thre pobably wouldt be any deep space battles but there will be other locations than planets like asteroid belts and he hinted at a nebula.
 Sithxace
11-07-2005, 8:08 PM
ha thx tie pilot, seems like evryone hates me on these forums lol every lil thing i do i have someone attacking me, where would i be without u lol

i bet this is why theres very few new topics here anymore, cause their afraid they;ll be the next victim to all these critics
 Jmaster3265
11-07-2005, 8:16 PM
Well many ppl in this game are, and its my opinion what you going to do about it?
 Sithxace
11-07-2005, 8:38 PM
wo wo wo buddy, you tell me, cause i have no clue, i never even said anything about it. But look how tough this guy sounds behind a computer, ha i imagine him being this skinny 29 year old dude who still lives with his parents, his hobbies are not to go to parties on weekends, but to read every possible starwars novel lol. j/k

also you just said "and its my opinion what you going to do about it?
Now you state an opinion, you dont ask an opinion, plain and simple, that just dont make sense...

Im just joking on what i said who he really is, but common im just here to talk about this game, lol Now im not starting nothin, more like defending myself from this hostility.
 Jeff
11-07-2005, 10:22 PM
Calm down guys. There's no room for that kind of stuff here. Anyways...

This is a good question. I'm not sure whether there will be deep space battles or not. Maybe, as BattleDamage suggested, there might be asteroid field battles or something like that. But I would guess the majority of battles would take place in a planet system.
 Jan Gaarni
11-08-2005, 1:12 AM
Well many ppl in this game are, and its my opinion what you going to do about it?
I could give you a 3 day timeout if you like. :mad:
Behave.

It's doubtfull we will have deep space combat, let alone being able to station ships in deep space.
 Dagobahn Eagle
11-08-2005, 5:58 AM
what you going to do about it?
Put you on my ignore list until you figure out how to discuss things without flaming:D.

Anyways, from what I know, navigation will be restricted to paths from planet to planet, rather than being free like in other games like Stars!. Fleets, as far as I know, can't meet each others between planetoids either.

So no, no space battles (I think:p).

D.E.
 Sithxace
11-08-2005, 8:57 AM
aww man lol. I was just hoping atleast have a space station deep in space like forts in rome totalwar, I can see how it complicates things but if they find a way to do it, it would make the strategy aspect even better.

In another topic, i think on lucasarts.com forums, they were saying theres no tie interceptors or b-wings. i just cant see that happening, those are fighters who have been part of every starwars game and even the movies, if there gonna add the E3 ships, then they gotta have atleast the tie interceptor and bwing.
 GhOsT-Jedi
11-08-2005, 12:39 PM
So no, no space battles (I think:p).

No space battles in outerspace but space battles in inner space :p
 gamefreak
11-08-2005, 10:23 PM
Ive heard that there suppost to be nebulas
 vader815
11-11-2005, 11:29 AM
there better be deep space battles, cause one of my plans with the empire is to build the DS in a place less likely to be visited by the rebels. a planet is a big spot saying strike here the DS is here.
 Sithxace
11-11-2005, 12:13 PM
thats exactly how i was thinking, nevertheless im gonna love this game no matter what. Like if there were like 200 planets like in rebellion, yea it would work out because there are soo many planets and unknown planets to check that you gonna have a god chanceof hiding, where here theres only 40+ planets, so it wont take that long before they find it. I was always thinking if you could put out a space station out in the middle of nowhere, now thatll count as a new locoation. The rebels dont see this new location on the galactic map, but if they send out probes, each probe thats sent out gives them a higher chance of discovering it, and when its discovered, its a new location the rebels can bring there fleet. If the station is destroyed, the area dissapears on the galactic map and the fleet goes back to where they came from.
 THEredGERBAL
11-11-2005, 3:28 PM
In short - Yes read the DevChat transcript.
 popcorn2008
11-11-2005, 3:48 PM
Well seeing as Sithxace is now a Moderator I think there is something he can do....

But to stay on topic, I would like to have deep space combat as well. Just open space and nothing to get in my way of total conquest lol. Well the game is super moddable, at least according to the chat, so im sure there is someway to mod in a few empty space patches. Possibly place them where a planet would be... It would be intereasting to see.
 darthfergie
11-11-2005, 4:30 PM
If you think about it, even in EU where there are a great wealth of space battles, the deep space battles are few and far between. And the only deep space battles then are ambushes where an interdictor pulls the fleet out of hyperspace. Fighting over nowhere profits no one. Fighting over a planet means a real fight rather than a tiny skirmish of ambushing one frieghter with an interdictor.

The only way I'd like to see deep space battles is if they were over a trade route, to keep that trade route clean you had to occasionally sweep it, but even that would be a hassle and would probably detract from the overall experiance in the game.
 popcorn2008
11-11-2005, 4:35 PM
If you think about it, even in EU where there are a great wealth of space battles, the deep space battles are few and far between.
I see your point, about the only real deep space battle I can think of, off the top of my head, is the fight for the dreadnaughts, in the Thrawn trilogy. I can't think of the name right now of the fleet though, but it was a lost fleet. Otherwise most battles did take place over planets.
 darthfergie
11-11-2005, 5:22 PM
Indeed. The Katana fleet.

Yes, it was a deep space battle. There were a variety of other deep space battles, but the vast majority were ambushes or attacks on space stations which are comparible to planets in their prize worthiness.

Space is very very big, thus the difficulty of having battles that arn't tied down by landmarks or something of value. Especially considering under normal circumstances ships are virtually untouched while in hyperspace. Thus they go to point a to point b quickly, why bother to meet inbetween?
 Jmaster3265
11-11-2005, 6:15 PM
I could give you a 3 day timeout if you like. :mad:
Behave.

It's doubtfull we will have deep space combat, let alone being able to station ships in deep space.

oh no..im so scared...jeez its called someones opinion..wow...
 Jan Gaarni
11-11-2005, 7:19 PM
oh no..im so scared...jeez its called someones opinion..wow...
No, that was not an opinion, that's called a derogatory comment.

From what we've seen so far it looks as if battles are going to be centered around planets only. The guy just wants to know if there are deep space battles and I'd like too as well...
That is an opinion.

This is not.

I do not tolerate blatant disrespect around here.

Consider this your first warning.
Knock off with the rude comments.
 Sithxace
11-11-2005, 8:50 PM
haha thx man all this abuse is towards me, haha im a moderator now, didnt get a chance to react to this before u did. Good job
 lukeiamyourdad
11-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Back on topic now please :)

Deep space battles are unlikely encounters. Space is really large. How would two fleets meet up unless they said they would meet there to settle their differences?

There's also Interdictors, but again, what are the odds of catching something in deep space? Not that great IMO.
 Sithxace
11-11-2005, 10:13 PM
i get the whole idea about that makes sense, only time there are, ussualy cause of the INT or space station. Thats why i say they add a system where u build a space station for any duty, build ships, base etc, and place it somewhere in space. Now once its built its now a new location on the galactic map that the other side doesnt see until they use probe droids etc to find it, and when they do they can go there and fight it.
 lukeiamyourdad
11-11-2005, 11:08 PM
i get the whole idea about that makes sense, only time there are, ussualy cause of the INT or space station. Thats why i say they add a system where u build a space station for any duty, build ships, base etc, and place it somewhere in space. Now once its built its now a new location on the galactic map that the other side doesnt see until they use probe droids etc to find it, and when they do they can go there and fight it.

I don't know. Roaching might become too much of a problem with deep space stations IF they have to be detected before being seen. I know it's realistic, but it wouldn't be a lot of fun when you've obviously won the game and have to spend time scouting for some space station.
 darthfergie
11-12-2005, 1:47 AM
There's also Interdictors, but again, what are the odds of catching something in deep space? Not that great IMO.

If your last name is Solo or Skywalker the odds are about once per year according to all the books. heh
 Sithxace
11-12-2005, 2:37 AM
i kno what you mean exactly, but i wuld have it where it wouldnt be hard to find it, for example just put a [probe droid etc in a mission for just findig a station, lookin for exact locations wont be up to u, so after a while, itll either find it or not. Im not saying u gotta select the million possible spots it could be, have the cpu do it for u, with a higher than normal probability of discovering it.
 popcorn2008
11-12-2005, 12:26 PM
I always hated games where you basically won, but because your enemy is real sneaky, you have to send out scouting patrols and search for a hidden unit. Or in this case, Space Station. I would definetely prefer no deep space stations now that I think on it more, just because the hassle involved with finding them. It is already going to be hard enough considering all the planets and space in which a player can already hide units.
 Sithxace
11-12-2005, 12:49 PM
yea true, hmm but if they make it where the enemy has to control atleast one planet to stay alive, then that wouldnt be a problem? Like if u captured all the planets, but they have a few stations, then you win.
 popcorn2008
11-12-2005, 1:17 PM
One thing I want to see is a space fight in a Nebula. I know they said they have them, but I want to see this in action.
Page: 1 of 1