Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Hoth Impossible

Page: 1 of 3
 EI 9373
11-01-2005, 9:28 PM
Any walkthroughs, tips or level codes available yet ?

Hoth in Campaign is just impossible... (and I thought Yavin was insane!) :(
 rut-wa jodar
11-02-2005, 3:14 AM
if you think Hoth campaign is tough, you should try Hoth in XL game mode ;)
 alex533
11-02-2005, 12:37 PM
haha i had campaign trouble on hoth as well, comlpeted it on sunday.

the trick is to bring the atat as close as you can echo base, and destroy the turrets in the last area wih the heavy trooper before going ahead with the darktrooper.
 EI 9373
11-02-2005, 1:00 PM
haha i had campaign trouble on hoth as well, comlpeted it on sunday.

the trick is to bring the atat as close as you can echo base, and destroy the turrets in the last area wih the heavy trooper before going ahead with the darktrooper.
So the Dark Trooper is the one to place the beacon?... What difference does he make?

I can get the beacon to the trench under the ship but then about 15 or so rebels start chucking grenades on the thing. Impossible me thinks... :)
 master_skywalke
11-02-2005, 1:18 PM
I only had 20 seconds left, I got with the beacon to the trench, only 15% health left and there was only one reinforment left. I was about 1 meter of the trench, and then, a Bothan Spy showed up from nowhere. Lost the battle :(
 alex533
11-02-2005, 1:22 PM
if you die near the trench then you can use the darktrooper to get there quick
 master_skywalke
11-02-2005, 1:29 PM
if you die near the trench then you can use the darktrooper to get there quick
Yeah, but if your jetpack is out of fuel....
 EI 9373
11-02-2005, 1:53 PM
Yeah, but if your jetpack is out of fuel....
Maybe you can put the beacon on top of the ship?.........
 T10
11-02-2005, 2:07 PM
No, the beacon has to be placed in the trench. I think that regular TDing should fix the crowded rebel lines, though.
 EI 9373
11-02-2005, 9:21 PM
Well, I finished it in the end. I just shot the hell out of the area and cleared most of the Rebel scum before I 'Darktroopered' the beacon in.

Frustrating though that, having finished the Campaign, the levels aren't playable again... :( :(
 Angarah
11-02-2005, 10:01 PM
The snows so bright I can barely see..
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-03-2005, 1:07 PM
Haven't reached Hoth yet....right now I am currently at Space Mustafar. So from the sounds of it....Hoth is quite hard to complete. So far in the game, I have been defeated in Naboo, Kashyyyk, and Coruscant.....so Hoth will probably take me a while to defeat.
 Jennaida
11-03-2005, 10:39 PM
Ugh. I'm stuck on the ground at Mustafar myself. :( Driving me nuts.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-03-2005, 11:01 PM
Ugh. I'm stuck on the ground at Mustafar myself. :( Driving me nuts.

Well....i have finshed it. Gizor Delso was the part where I got stuck. The first time I played Mustafar, I had 66 kills, and thewhen I defeated it, the second time, I had achieved 60 kills. But, personally so far I think Mustafar and Hoth are the hardest levels to beat. I have yet to beat Hoth. I lost about five minutes into the match.
 Jennaida
11-03-2005, 11:12 PM
I'm still trying to secure the walkway over the lava pit on Mustafar, myself. And getting picked off every time while doing it.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-03-2005, 11:15 PM
I'm still trying to secure the walkway over the lava pit on Mustafar, myself. And getting picked off every time while doing it.

That's a tough objective to complete. When I get fustarated, I just go play Galactic Conquest or IA. Then, I go back and try to defeat it.
 neospectre
11-04-2005, 1:14 AM
I too can manage to fight my way to the Transport ship at the end of the map. After painstaking effort, manage to get the bomb to the trench, but I can't do anything about the 30 + rebels shooting at the bomb. At best I'll manage to kill half of them off but they always blow up that bomb in under 10 seconds.

I also find it quite frustrating that as soon as you're in the base, you're pretty much on your own to fight 15 rebels at a time, as your battalion is NOWHERE TO BE FOUND.
 Sobek_Isis
11-04-2005, 8:42 AM
Coruscant's order 66 is where i'm stuck...just damn near retardedly impossible. Everythings good till either the jedi swarm on the ONE bookcase that I happen to be guarding, and I fail there. Or I get to killing the last remaining jedi masters and magically the hundreds of jedi that spawn in just rape me and I end up dying so much trying to kill him that I run out of reinforcements and die...

Pissing me off, and there's no damn trainer or anything yet..sigh
 Jennaida
11-04-2005, 10:05 AM
That's not it entirely, Sobek. It's also a matter of how the AI works. The "improved" AI simply looks at a player tag on anyone who fired on it. Consider this:

If you and another ally are shooting at an enemy AI, it will automatically fire upon you. To the exclusion of anything else. Even if you're at the very edge of blaster range, and the other friendly (or MULTIPLE other friendlies!) basically has their blaster rifle up the enemy's ass.

I've had enemies get easily blasted because I fired on them from the edge of range like that, so they started shooting at me. Then a bot right in their face shot them, while they were busy shooting my way.

Which aggarvates me slightly, since I bought this game to do the shooting. And the AI method pushes up the learning curve for people who aren't ubershots. (They have improved the AI's ability to hit a target, in combination with the new "hyped up monkey on crack" running speeds.) "Star Wars" and "steep single player learning curve" should be exclusive terms, casual fans want something they can set down to 'easy' (not 'elite', not 'normal', but /EASY/ which isn't friggin included), that they can win, to enjoy the plotline a little more instead of having fantasies of creative ways to execute Pandemic/LucasArts employees, for having to repeat the same mission 50 times.
 EI 9373
11-04-2005, 11:29 AM
That's just it. The game is great - no doubt about that - but is it enjoyable? I've found that many levels have only one way to complete the mission (and it could take you 25 attempts to find it). The tactician's amongst us (and those of us who like to 'take-in the scenery' a bit have been let down badly by this release.
 Jennaida
11-04-2005, 1:09 PM
No disagreement here. It also might be nice if campaign missions had /some/ limits to the number of enemy troops. I just tried Mustafar again. I wound up the only one left during the first segment, after all the shooting got done. But I holed up in that briefing room with a medic droid and an ammo droid. I was picking off dozens and dozens of troops, but lost becasue the enemy is 'infinite' and can keep coming.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-04-2005, 7:55 PM
Well...I did defeat Hoth......finished with 85 kills(mostly from Darth Vader) and 10 deaths...I was tough but I thought Mustafar much tougher.
 PoiuyWired
11-04-2005, 10:16 PM
How do you know your REAL remaining reenforcement in campaign mode? It seems to be changing thruout the mission?
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-05-2005, 3:36 AM
How do you know your REAL remaining reenforcement in campaign mode? It seems to be changing thruout the mission?

Well, your reinforcement meter increases once you have completed an objective.
 joshua05
11-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Well...guess what!?

As of about 2 minutes ago (the amount of time it took me to get downstairs to the computer; and log on....I defeated Hoth!!!

You know what really helps?

Being Darth Vader, and having a Lightsaber!!!

So, just STAY in the trench. (the Rebels only come in the trench from the ONE direction -- once your guys arrive to give you a little bit of back up NEAR the trench.

I was glad that I already knew what to do (from reading on this forum) before I played it...That way, I already knew that 'Oh...I need to place that sensor! --Oh! It goes in the trench!' --I already knew that...so that was nice

----------------

If you'll excuse (excoose-lol) me, I'm going to go play some Instant Action (OR Galactic Conquest --almost definantely Instant Action, though! *heehee*)

See ya, s00n! :)
 hk47
11-05-2005, 11:34 AM
i'm looking foward to bf2 bf1 was easy so i wnt to know how much harder you wood compair it to bf1 cause i should be getting it on sunday i hope tosee you on it. :twogun:
 Kurgan
11-05-2005, 11:38 AM
If I had the game I might be able to help you. Then again I was mostly going to focus on adding MP content to SWBF.net but there you go.

Maybe in a few days my copy will arrive...
 hk47
11-05-2005, 11:54 AM
me to my game should be here on sunday and i've been playing a fps game for 6 years and i was on it alot so it might be easy for me the first was anyway.
 JawaJoey
11-07-2005, 12:04 AM
The snows so bright I can barely see..

Oh good, it's not just my computer. The ground on Hoth is blindingly white, which is annoying. Also, on Naboo, the ground is completely black in most places.

I haven't gotten there in ROTE yet, though. I'm on Prison Escape now. (I got to the end and had to blow up the transport, but didn't do it fast enough, and apparently they "got away" even though I'm still standing right next to the firmly landed transport, fighting the firmly landed rebels.)
I'm surprised people are having trouble with Mustafar. I never would have guessed that it would be a problem level for people, because it seemed as easy as any of the not-that-difficult missions. I didn't have too much trouble on Coruscant, either, but I came pretty close to losing on the Library part. I thought I was alright then suddenly realized that there was only one bookcase left. Luckily, no more Jedi showed up after that.

Jennaida- I've noticed that about the AI, and it really pisses me off. It's retarded that they always specifically target the player. No matter how many better targets are right in front of them, firing at them. It's totally unrealistic and is so frustrating. Especially when my bot freinds don't even kill the guy who is now firing at me.
Also, I've noticed that it isn't even when you fire on them. I swear there are times when I've just started lining someone up in my crosshairs from a distance and they spontaneously turn directly towards me and start firing. And on Mygeeto especially, I'll be empire and working my way down the side platforms of the bridge to the Rebel's starting CP, and I'll suddenly be the target of volley after volley of missles from the tanks. I'm off on my own killing infantry, while a dozen fellow stormtroopers are storming the bridge itself, with tanks of their own, and botht eh Alliance tanks will launch all their *missles* directly at me.
So stupid. It's definitely my biggest complaint with the game so far.
 Jennaida
11-07-2005, 12:18 AM
If the ground is too white, pause it and lower the brightness. I have to raise it for some levels, then lower it back to 50 for Hoth, or it'll be far too bright.

And YES, Joey. That's EXACTLY it. It'll jus turn spontaneously and several will start firing at you. It's annoying as all hell. It's ridiculous. Again. "shoot the soldier at 50 feet, or shoot the one at 50 millimeters?" The Battlefront II AI will shoot for the one at 50 feet if its marked 'player'. It was programmed by a 4 alarm flaming idiot.

I suppose someone would complain it was too "dumb" if it did standard threat assessment and shot the closer ones, while you sniped it or such.
 JawaJoey
11-07-2005, 12:29 AM
Pretty much. I don't so much mind that there is a preference towards targeting the player. Like if me and a freind come after someone and they usually start shooting me first, for example. But the way it is now is so blatant and illogical.
 Jennaida
11-07-2005, 1:09 AM
Again, exactly. It's blatant and aggarvating. It makes the game... unfun.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-07-2005, 1:09 PM
Well...JawaJoey if you haven't completed Death Star: Prison Break...you might want to try to destroy the firmly landed transport.
 MandaloreBIC
11-07-2005, 10:17 PM
lol, the trick is to beat the deathstar is tolevel up some medals, so lots of bots will follow you, make them follow you, and then make them distract the rebs while you are a rocket guy (forget name) and shoot with luncher and nades from the platform, and dock out of range while reloading, i beat taht level with 00:04 secs remaning on the timer.....
 deamonomic
11-07-2005, 10:34 PM
wow
 Angarah
11-07-2005, 11:19 PM
Getting back to the difficulty discussion, I really believe an Easy mode is a must. And whatever happened to Auto-aim? I loved that feature....now I have to actually work hard to get better before I can truly enjoy the game
 deamonomic
11-07-2005, 11:40 PM
well it is always a good thing having to improove upon ones skills.
 hk47
11-08-2005, 4:00 AM
aimming is just to easy for me and i got bf2 been installed on my pc right now so if we meet on battlefront 2 exepect a challenge.
 Darth Alec
11-08-2005, 5:49 AM
Mustafar is easy, I just havent completed it yet becouse of the final guy. He can take alot of hits, same with the queen of Naboo.

Of topic: Deamonmic, the geek thing in your sig is hillarious.
 zerted
11-08-2005, 5:57 AM
lol, the trick is to beat the deathstar is tolevel up some medals, so lots of bots will follow you, make them follow you, and then make them distract the rebs while you are a rocket guy (forget name) and shoot with luncher and nades from the platform, and dock out of range while reloading, i beat taht level with 00:04 secs remaning on the timer.....
Or for a faster approch: You can jump down and run around like a crazy person, dodging blaster bullets while your missile reloads. Thats what I did and it worked ok.

To gain more level time, go through the waste disposial from the detention tunnel instead of walking around those walkways (you can also jump from walkway to walkway instead of walking around the whole thing)
 010_sWitch_010
11-08-2005, 6:43 AM
As for that crazy AI, i think the programmers coded the NPC's to deal with human players as if they were "heroes" even if they are only simple troopers. That's why they will shoot at you no matter what.

Bloody annoying if you ask me. The main theme of battlefront *should* be to be just a regular joe on the frontlines, no more important or special as anyone else. And this new AI just makes it a worst experience.
 Redtech
11-08-2005, 7:41 AM
Well, have you noticed that you end up doing most of the work yourself? When have your allies done anything? (They can't capture CPs for example). I will conceed that they are better at NOT DYING though.
 010_sWitch_010
11-08-2005, 8:57 AM
Well, have you noticed that you end up doing most of the work yourself? When have your allies done anything? (They can't capture CPs for example). I will conceed that they are better at NOT DYING though.

I reckon. I don't wanna be running around capturing CPs that should have been easily defended. It's like *work* not play.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-08-2005, 1:17 PM
Mustafar is easy, I just havent completed it yet becouse of the final guy. He can take alot of hits, same with the queen of Naboo.

Of topic: Deamonmic, the geek thing in your sig is hillarious.

Same here...concerning the fact that those levels are easy accepted for the final objectives.
 RaV™
11-08-2005, 1:35 PM
Queen of Naboo was far to easy for me..I just used one of the tanks and fired rockets directly at her.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-08-2005, 1:50 PM
Queen of Naboo was far to easy for me..I just used one of the tanks and fired rockets directly at her.

Well...that's what I did the second time I had to do the level...the first time I tried to dispatch her with a Stormtrooper, so then I used a tank.
 zerted
11-08-2005, 6:49 PM
Just blow the Queen up with a detpack. The engineer is too overpowered in close combat.
 deamonomic
11-08-2005, 6:58 PM
cant u just run her over?
 JawaJoey
11-08-2005, 7:04 PM
Well...JawaJoey if you haven't completed Death Star: Prison Break...you might want to try to destroy the firmly landed transport.

Hehe, obviously. I know what to do, but the first time I did it I was too stupid to realize there was a timer, and too lazy to switch to vangaurd, and four thermal dets just weren't enough. I haven't tried it again though. the ROTE missions are just so annyong to play over again, especially when you fail on the last ovjective. You just don't want to do all that over again right away... I'll get it when I try again, though.
 zerted
11-08-2005, 7:06 PM
cant u just run her over?
I like to stay out of vehicles, but yes you can.
Page: 1 of 3