Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Double wristed lightsaber, possible?

Page: 1 of 2
 KillerWave
10-14-2005, 6:38 PM
Can something like that be made for tsl?

http://www.thelightsaber.com/Conceptual/ROTS/PloKi.jpg)
 DuffmanDan
10-14-2005, 7:48 PM
probably, but there would be animation differances -

ie.
do a standerd attack with it and your blade doesnt even hit the target, and yet it does damage.

reminds me of jka ;)
 CrudeMatter
10-15-2005, 5:28 AM
I bet that numerous modders could make the weapon... oldflash comes to mind... but then if it could be scripted to use hand-to-hand animations, it might actually look right. Well... along with having kicks mixed in with the bladework. I really wanted to do something like that for force-using mad-claws in K1. ...but then I've wanted to do a lot of difficult-to-impossible stuff. lol It might take a team, if it could be done. Unfortunately for me, my skills regarding the matter just got pretty much exhausted. I hope that is at least a lead.
Ps- I might prefer to see another blade from the back of the hand.
 MdKnightR
10-15-2005, 11:39 PM

Cool Idea! Looks kinda like what would happen if you crossed Luke Skywalker with Wolverine.
 oldflash
10-18-2005, 6:59 PM
I will spend some time to try this. It was "added" to my plan anyway. :)
 oldflash
10-19-2005, 5:49 PM
Sorry, I can't do this model. I was thinking to replace stunbaton. Animations was ok for this but test result was not so good.
First of all, replacing stunbaton with lightsaber kill blade grow animation. Then is about model which is not attached to well at pc arm. Here are pics: http://oldflash.batcave.net/supertest/index.html)
 Darkkender
10-20-2005, 12:09 PM
Sorry, I can't do this model. I was thinking to replace stunbaton. Animations was ok for this but test result was not so good.
First of all, replacing stunbaton with lightsaber kill blade grow animation. Then is about model which is not attached to well at pc arm. Here are pics: http://q-net.netfirms.com/wip) (pic 16 to 19)

Instead of replacing the stunbaton what if you replaced a doublebladed lightsaber & used one of the short bladed lightsabers animation slots. Or even the wrist launcher for mira.
 oldflash
10-20-2005, 7:21 PM
My choise for stunbaton was based on combat animation which is perfect for that kind of weapon. Also stunbaton restrict offhand equippslot. I can attach lightsaber in any position but I'm worried about combat animation and call me stupid but I don't understand what you say about animation slot. :(
I will be greatfull if you tell me more about this or point-me to some tutorials.
 KillerWave
10-20-2005, 7:36 PM
Isn't possible to use alternate animations by any chance?
I mean, using the wristlancher slot so the weapon doesn't rotate, and use the stunbaton for hit animations and such? Also lightsaber animations for the blades go on and off...?
 oldflash
10-21-2005, 5:52 PM
I got this so far (http://oldflash.batcave.net/supertest/index.html)
First 2 pictures are from position test and next final result.

I'll wait suggestions.
 KillerWave
10-21-2005, 6:14 PM
Hmmm...can you make it smaller? It just looks weird 2 sabers attached like this. (Blade could be a bit shorter too)
Can't something be modeled that covers the hand and some of the arm too? To make it seem wrist monted?
 BlazeHoliday
10-21-2005, 10:19 PM
wow, i think it looks nice, needs a bit of graphical work, but may i be the first to say congrats on creating a new weapon for kotor!!!
 Darkkender
10-21-2005, 11:33 PM
Hmmm...can you make it smaller? It just looks weird 2 sabers attached like this. (Blade could be a bit shorter too)
Can't something be modeled that covers the hand and some of the arm too? To make it seem wrist monted?

I would have to agree. Might I suggest moving the pivot points back along the arm to about the middle of the forearm and maybe add somesort of cuff so that it looks more attached to the arm. This would likely help in making the blades appear shorter or a little less unweildly.
 CrudeMatter
10-22-2005, 1:12 AM
oldflash, you are a machine! I can't beleive how much work you crammed into such a short time. It was a great idea to use the stun-baton anims too... it was good thinking even if it doesn't work out completely. You're doing great work on this project, I really hope it comes together. I really like that you've posted the WIP pics too, it's been nice to watch the progress. Best of luck with it all. I hope you won't let anyone rush you either... it's your work and you're not on a deadline. If you want any help testing or working with the uti's or tga's, I'll happily volunteer... I know you have a lot of projects that deserve your time, and maybe I could take some of the load off. I would hate to see you get burned out.
btw- how did you get around the problem with the blade-grow anims not working?

@DK- I'm interested to know what you meant about anim slots too... that sounds like very valuable info. I don't get the wristlauncher idea, becuase the only anim for them is the sling-launch for grenades, and they don't show up as in-game models.
 oldflash
10-22-2005, 6:38 AM
It was only a test not final version.

I would have to agree. Might I suggest moving the pivot points back along the arm to about the middle of the forearm and maybe add somesort of cuff so that it looks more attached to the arm. This would likely help in making the blades appear shorter or a little less unweildly.
Moving pivots is the only way to make-it to look smaller. You know why. To cover hands will not be a problem but for arm is a little dificult. It is possible to make something if someone could make a script to automatic equipp one unique robe or arnor when use this weapon. And remodel that robe/armor on arm part to look like is part of weapon. That because hand animation is complex and weapon is linked to this not to arm animation.
I will post this test on my site (now is replacement for shortlightsaber blue).
Use-it and see about animations and more how it works in combat.
However, test result was more than expectation. I let you know after uploading models on site.
@CrudeMatter, I wasn't use stunbaton as wapon base. It seems to work better as shortlightsaber.
 oldflash
10-22-2005, 9:09 PM
Done.
Check for pictures. (http://oldflash.batcave.net/supertest/index.html)
For model type in browser's address bar http://oldflash.batcave.net/supertest/test.z).
The file is a zip and can be unpached with any archiver program.
I hope you like-it.
Pack: w_ShortSbr_001.mdl, w_ShortSbr_001.mdx, w_ShortSbr_001.tga and iw_ShortSbr_001.tga (replacement for shortlightsaber blue).
 Darthdude99
10-22-2005, 9:15 PM
Downloaded the test.zip and it only had w_ShortSbr_001.mdl and w_ShortSbr_001.mdx. Is your link wrong or is it just me?
 oldflash
10-22-2005, 9:19 PM
I have updated pack.
Use this address http://oldflash.batcave.net/supertest/test.z)
 CrudeMatter
10-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Frickin Sweet! :thumbsup:
I tested both in-game and I am even more amazed at each update. It fit the animations much better than I would have expected. The only really weird one is using the 'Throw Lightsaber' power, and I don't know how that could be avoided. It looked kinda cool anyway. The model is beautiful! I'm impressed. I'll use it for sure.
I really don't see how to avoid some of the little anim issues... like the slight wrist-bends or the twirling movements during a flourish... but they really are quite minor.(with the newest update you can't even see some of them) Until we can actually change or create animations, thats about all I can see being done. I think a true wrist-mount is asking too much. I don't know how you could do much more.(even though you always surprise me) If anything else, it should probably do 2x damage, with a def bonus... but that adds a uti to your pack.
Fantastic work, oldflash! I love it!!! This one is staying in my override... thanks for sharing!
MAD props to oldflash!!!
:worship: :saberb::saberb:

@Dartdude99- Theres nothing wrong, it was just the mdl and mdx. It was a test phase for anims... all it needed was the mdl and mdx. It didn't have an icon or the later texture (tgas) but if you used a blue short-sabre it would show up when equipped. Get the new update if you need the icon and to see the new texture.(still use blue shtsbr) Its all great stuff, its just the developement phase... not a finished product. (though with the new update, I don't see how much more can be done.)
 maaneeack
10-23-2005, 8:54 AM
I tried it yesterday w/o the tga files in the zip, it looked nice. The pivot point in the upgrade window is spinning it around the long way (so the thing spins behind the sides of the upgrade bits, instead of spinning around it's vertical axis (is that right? heh)). I took a few shots, I'll fiddle with them some and upload (they are 3mb each and I'm on dialup).
 Darkkender
10-23-2005, 11:26 AM
WOW, that turned out well. The only thing I could suggest would be to bring the pivot point in closer to the arm but beyond that it looks great. You know with that setup if you modeled a double saber model similiar to the single tubes used on that you could do a breakaway saber like chainz.2da did but with a different style.
 BT-Nexus
10-23-2005, 8:44 PM
I've got to admit I'd like to see a sort of lightsaber like that, heh.. Would be quite interesting.
 Darth InSidious
10-24-2005, 9:05 AM
Tested this.....holy crap. That is SWEET! :D
 Soogz
10-24-2005, 9:13 AM
Man that lightsaber is awesome.
 KillerWave
10-24-2005, 8:36 PM
I like it. Cant wait to see the final version. If it works so well so far... :D
 oldflash
10-25-2005, 2:03 AM
I like it. Cant wait to see the final version. If it works so well so far... :D
:D
This is the final version. Pack name come from subdirectory that I use for test files.
 KillerWave
10-25-2005, 5:52 PM
I was under the impression you were going to use that model you did for the wrist...
Anyway...if you won't use it, can I get it? Id like to play around with it. If anything, only to learn a bit more about modding for tsl.
 oldflash
10-26-2005, 1:52 AM
I made-it for you.
After all this is the Modding requests area.
:)
 KillerWave
10-26-2005, 7:05 AM
Thanks
Then...were can I get the model on the screenshots?
 Ztalker
10-26-2005, 7:32 AM
I just read this thread, and it blew my head of (still looking for it)!!

It looks just great! Me (personally, so you may igonore it)

I hate to use cheats/or use the console for getting items (it doesn't work either, though)

Can this be scripted to be made? Or to be added to the Random loot?
 oldflash
10-26-2005, 8:59 AM
Thanks
Then...were can I get the model on the screenshots?
Here: q-net.netfirms.com/supertest/test.zip
or here: q-net.netfirms.com/test.zip
You need to type address in browser's bar. Direct link not working (hosting rule).

@Ztalker: No need for cheating. Take any upgradable short lightsaber and replace his color crystal with blue one.
 Darth InSidious
10-26-2005, 10:23 AM
oldflash/Killerwave: If you want I can Hex it so it doesn't replace, and come up with some alternate colours for it, if you like :)
 KillerWave
10-26-2005, 4:24 PM
oldflash/Killerwave: If you want I can Hex it so it doesn't replace, and come up with some alternate colours for it, if you like :)

No replace and other blade colors? I would certainly like that :)

:D
This is the final version. Pack name come from subdirectory that I use for test files.

Actually what I had was a model woth 2 short lightsabers connected by a block. Not the cool "wrist monted" model in this version :D
 oldflash
10-26-2005, 7:12 PM
Actually what I had was a model woth 2 short lightsabers connected by a block. Not the cool "wrist monted" model in this version :D
Download-it again. I replace first pack with second under same name (that model from screenshots). Beside model you will get texture and icon for this. This pack (final ver.) have 1 mdl, 1 mdx and 2 tga's. Also, same pack (final) is in other location (q-net.netfirms.com/supertest/test.zip).
Zip file (final) must have about 152kb instead of 19kb.
 KillerWave
10-29-2005, 4:22 PM
Yes, thats the version I got now.

Btw, the zip on the first link seems to be corrupted.
 Darth InSidious
10-31-2005, 6:40 AM
I'll get on it right away ;)
 oldflash
10-31-2005, 7:26 AM

I forgot one thing: this is Modding requests area so that should be a mod not a simple model posted on odd site. So, if you have some time make some hex job and other things like cristals, stats, installer and post a mod on pcgm.
Thanks
 KillerWave
12-10-2005, 5:29 PM
I'll get on it right away ;)

Had you? If so, please let me know. :)
 .:DSX:.
12-10-2005, 8:15 PM
It's a pity this isn't a new item. Darth InSidius, did you say that you are doing that? if so, you have my eternal graditude :o
 oldflash
12-12-2005, 5:57 AM
It's a pity this isn't a new item. Darth InSidius, did you say that you are doing that? if so, you have my eternal graditude :o
I forgot about this model... soon it will be available as unique item in lightsaber class, equippable only in righthand and will restrict forcejump.
Right now the only way to make available this model is via email.
 Alkonium
12-12-2005, 7:52 AM

Trust me, I'd like a wrist mounted lightsaber as well, but that can only be done in Jedi Academy. I once actually dual weilded them in that.
 Jackel
12-12-2005, 2:38 PM
Trust me, I'd like a wrist mounted lightsaber as well, but that can only be done in Jedi Academy. I once actually dual weilded them in that.
.... Um ... Mate, read the thread. Oldflash not only attempted to make one, He made one.

Not trying to sound mean or anything but you should probably really read all they way through threads before be declaring saying the mod request is impossible and can not be done because like I just said, its been done.
 vanishare
03-19-2006, 2:27 PM
http://q-net.netfirms.com/supertest/)

he website you have requested has exceeded its daily bandwidth quota of 56MB and has been temporarily de-activated.

:(
 Darth InSidious
03-19-2006, 3:24 PM
I've finished my re-hexing, but I keep forgetting to upload it when I'm at home, and PCGM is blocked at work...

Oldflash, could I email it to you and could you then upload it?
 Kainzorus Prime
03-19-2006, 3:26 PM
If you want to upload anything on pcgm right now, you have to use control panel and replace any of your older mods with new one.
 Bovine_Sith
03-19-2006, 9:06 PM
As a slight hijack, how about a lightsaber that you have to wield in two hands? Ya know, like the movies?
It could maybe do damage more in line with a double-bladed, get a slight to-hit bonus, to make up with the fact that you have to use just one and Dueling doesn't apply.
 ChAiNz.2da
03-20-2006, 6:20 AM
As a slight hijack, how about a lightsaber that you have to wield in two hands? Ya know, like the movies?
It could maybe do damage more in line with a double-bladed, get a slight to-hit bonus, to make up with the fact that you have to use just one and Dueling doesn't apply.
Trashman did a mod like this back in the day. It's a "greatsaber" that requires 2 hands to use.. may not be "entirely" what you were looking for, but it hits the premise pretty darn close:

http://www.pcgamemods.com/mod/11062.html)
 Darth InSidious
03-20-2006, 7:03 AM
And a very good mod it is too!
 vanishare
03-20-2006, 1:05 PM
can someone reupload that mod ? :/ cause http://q-net.netfirms.com/supertest/) isn't working
 RedHawke
03-20-2006, 10:56 PM
can someone reupload that mod ? :/ cause http://q-net.netfirms.com/supertest/) isn't working
Nope, only the original modder can do that, so you will just have to wait for the bandwith to be reset... sorry.
Page: 1 of 2