Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Who Will Win The Console War

Page: 1 of 2
 shukrallah
10-07-2005, 11:26 PM
Ok, right now all we know is that the top 3 consoles this generation will be the Nintendo Revolution, PlayStation 3, and the Xbox 360. They will, obviously, compete, as they did last time around. Im not asking for personal favorites, but who you really think will win the next time around.

Heres my personal analysis, I'll break it into sections:

Release Dates

Xbox 360 (1st Nov.-Dec. 2005) PS3 (2nd 2006) NRev (3rd 2006)

Most likley the Xbox 360 will rule until the ps3 comes out, because its new and no one has had a new consoles for a while, so they will rush out and buy the 360. Plus, its Christmas time, so a lot of kids will bug the parents for the newest and latest console. The XBox 360 will be expensive however, which will hurt sales. The PS3 will be released 2nd, so a lot of patient customers will go out and buy that, stealing a portion of the market away from M$. The PS3 is going to be really expensive, so I think that will hurt its sales a bit aswell. The Nintendo Revolution comes out last this time, which will really hurt its sales. A lot of people will buy the first new consoles they see, but unfortunatly Nrev is last. However, the lower price and new controller has generated a lot hype, and so it could severly damage the other consoles sales.

Specs/innovation/creativity

The PS3 will lead in the specification category, because of the Cell processor, which is being heavily advertised by Sony. The Xbox 360 will be the 2nd most powerful, while the Nrev is last. On the other hand, Nintendo claims they don't need high specs to run modern games, so, do the specs really matter? A lot of people claim that the other consoles couldn't run a PS3 game because they don't have a cell processor, my question is, how do we know that the cell processor is even needed? The PS3 and Xbox will feature High Definition output, and DVD Playback. The Revolution will have a revolutionary controller, that can be tilted, and read with censors placed on your TV. Nintendo expects to draw in a lot of new gamers with its simpler controller style. They all have wireless controllers.

All the consoles look nice this time around. In my opinion, the black revolution looks cool, and sleek. It would blend in with almost any furnature and entertainment devices. The PS3 has a nice design as well (minus the controller) and the Xbox 360.. well... I don't like it. Looks like something apple made, plus the same controller format as before. No too creative (M$ took apple's "look" back in the 70s, and are doing it now...) :-\ So yeah, xbox loses in that category.

Game Library

Xbox 360 - More mature games. Star Wars games. Sports Games. Halo.
- If the Xbox was out of the picture the only loss would be Halo. Plus, I think Halo is starting to lose its effect on people. Halo 2 took a bad turn, and some people suspect Halo 3 will aswell. I agree. Oh, and Perfect Dark will be a big player this time around, and will help the Xbox, even if Halo sucks. Xbox live's price will hurt its sales as well, when players realise they can get online service for free with other consoles.

PS3 - Many, many, many exclusive games. Sony elminates competition by paying companies to make games exclusive. Excellant games too, such as MGS and Devil May Cry. (Soul Calibur III on PS2) The PS3 alone is worth it for a few of the games, like MGS 4, and the new Devil May Cry, and there will be more. Free online (I think)

NRev- When Nintendo itself makes a game, its high quality, and it sells big time! Classics like Mario, Zelda, and Super Smash Bros will sell millions. Also, the ability to download older games for a small price will help bring back a lot of old players, who want to relive the classics, as well as newcomers. Free Wi-Fi online.

Ok, so yeah, my guess, PS3 will be first because of its Cell processor, and most likley awesome library of games, NRev will be 2nd, making a comeback, with its new controller, free online (plus old classics, for a fee) and amazing library, and the Xbox 360 will be last, because... well... theres nothing new or exciting keeping players interested. (I mean, at least the PS3 has those awesome exclusives)

PS3>NRev>Xbox360. (Im not asking about personal favorites, but who you really think will take first this time around.)
 Lynk Former
10-08-2005, 4:02 AM
How can you win a console war in the first place? :dozey: There should be an extra option saying "no one"
 shukrallah
10-08-2005, 9:17 AM
Well... ok, not win.... but... lead... or something.

I made this thread to try and get people to post here... Its not working :(
 Jan Gaarni
10-08-2005, 11:33 AM
I'll post.

Uhm, who will lead, uhm ..... let's see .....
Oh, I don't know, I stick to my PC .... so, the PC will win! :D

Seriously though, with all the consol nuts (and I mean that in a good way by the way) that is on LucasForums, it's weird they arn't all over this.

Though it is weekend, and it seems fewer is on then, which is weird. :¬:
 El Sitherino
10-08-2005, 12:02 PM
Well considering Nintendo isn't even entering the supposed console war. PS3, they are the fad machine, naturally they'll win.

Plus the XBox360 will be the weakest of all the consoles.
 Lynk Former
10-08-2005, 2:01 PM
Sony doesn't lead the console wars, companies like Square-Enix and Electronic Arts do, and Nintendo seeing as they're up there with the highest selling games overall. Don't have to be "officially" #1 to be #1.
 shukrallah
10-08-2005, 8:48 PM
EA sucks. The others are cool. And yes, the PS3 is a fad machine, the only reason I even want a sony console is because of the exclusives though... same with Nintendo (I like nintendo better)

Well considering Nintendo isn't even entering the supposed console war.

I think if you throw a console out, your in. They are competing right? I mean, they have no choice, compete or lose. By making a cheaper console is a way of competing against the other companies.
 El Sitherino
10-08-2005, 9:24 PM
They aren't competing against anyone, they're just doing what they do. And if you want to go by financial means, Nintendo will win.

What it is is Nintendo knows how to make quality machines at bottom level costs, they've been in the business for many years after all. Instead of pumping their boxes with useless extras they focus solely on the gaming and gaming quality. So far though they've taken no official claim in beating out their proposed opponents. All you hear from Microsoft or Sony is "We're going to crush playstation/xbox".

Nintendo just talks about what they have planned, for themselves.
 idle
10-08-2005, 10:24 PM
I <3 Nintendo and prefer Sony to Microsoft but I still voted 360. It's all about the hype and right now the biggest hyped machine in video game stores is the 360 without a doubt.
 Lynk Former
10-08-2005, 11:35 PM
@ sithy: oh no, Sony and Microsoft take regular stabs at Nintendo as well at key moments, mostly when Nintendo has just shown a little bit more of the Revolution or have released the DS, etc, etc.
 El Sitherino
10-09-2005, 12:28 AM
@ sithy: oh no, Sony and Microsoft take regular stabs at Nintendo as well at key moments, mostly when Nintendo has just shown a little bit more of the Revolution or have released the DS, etc, etc.
True, true. But not in terms I mean. Basically they're going after eachother, mostly Microsoft after Sony. They may take shots at Nintendo but mostly in terms like the bullies at the yard poking shots at the wimp, only to go back to their pissing contest.
 Lynk Former
10-09-2005, 12:36 AM
Nintendo isn't really the wimpy kid, Nintendo is more the smart kid that gets good grades but is teased by the cool kids.
 El Sitherino
10-09-2005, 12:37 AM
Nintendo isn't really the wimpy kid, Nintendo is more the smart kid that gets good grades but is teased by the cool kids.
Bah, you know what I meant. :xp:
 Jan Gaarni
10-09-2005, 4:02 AM
Looks like there's a pissing contest going on right here. :D
 shukrallah
10-09-2005, 12:57 PM
Nintendo is competing. Sure they do what they want, but they HAVE to insure that customers will buy their products. Prime example- MGS TTS - they put that on GCN for one reason, so MGS fans would buy a GCN, it worked.
 Lynk Former
10-09-2005, 1:06 PM
In a sense they are competing to some extent, but not on the level that Sony and Microsoft are, that's what we're trying to say.
 coupes.
10-09-2005, 7:00 PM
Nintendo isn't competing in the sense that Microsoft and Sony would do anything to be #1, they would do anything to crush the competition and they would do anything to make customers buy their console instead of the competitor's. Nintendo, on the other hand, will be happy if the console and games sell well, and if they make am interesting profit. I don't think they care if the customers also buys an xbox or a playstation, as long as they buy the Revolution as well.

Anyways, that's the way I see it ;)
 MachineCult
10-09-2005, 7:18 PM
Who voted "other"??
What other console is there?
 shukrallah
10-09-2005, 8:46 PM
Well, theres lots of "other" consoles, that don't make it. The Xbox would have been an "other" console if it wasn't for Microsoft.
 Lynk Former
10-09-2005, 9:24 PM
Who voted "other"??
What other console is there?
I did, in my effort to point out the fact that no one really wins the console war.
 Swoosh
10-10-2005, 12:11 PM
Yeah, it's hard to judge who wins... you could say units sold, gross profit, or cultural significance :P. I think the ps3 will ultimately have the highest number of units. But, nintendo will probably take the cake when it comes to profit since they actually won't LOSE money on every system sold. The xbox360 doesn't offer much beyond the original besides upgraded graphics in my opinion. Also, it doesn't seem to have any must-have titles at this point...

Matt
 Lynk Former
10-10-2005, 3:46 PM
Actually I'm wondering if Sony will do as well in the next generation as everyone expects simply because the PS3 and its games are going to be so damned expensive. Katuragi even laughed about how expensive the PS3 was gonna be, now that's gotta make some people worry, maybe not the tech geeks, but the normal folk, you know the rest of the world that doesn't come on web forums posting their opinions about stuff :p
 shukrallah
10-14-2005, 9:12 PM
Yeah, I've heard that the high prices could hurt sony.

Aren't all games (PC, Rev, PS3, 360) going up to 60 though?
 MachineCult
10-18-2005, 7:34 PM
How much are the PS3 games going to be?
 shukrallah
10-18-2005, 7:52 PM
I think all games will be $60.
 Lynk Former
10-19-2005, 7:23 AM
I heard they could be more depending on the game...
 shukrallah
10-22-2005, 11:14 PM
That makes sense, I guess. But what defines a more pricey game?

I guess this could be a good thing because you could soon see that game with higher quality have a higher price at release time, perhaps?

Im sorta worried the Rev games might be a little higher, I mean, they have to make them compatible with this new controller. Its not like press "left" = turn. Its more like tilt left = turn, which is probably harder to do than just receiving input from the buttons. Plus the games will have to be compatible with the new sensors on the TVs.
 Lynk Former
10-23-2005, 1:05 AM
I don't think you understand quite how it works... Revolution games won't be as pricey as PS3 games simply because it'll cost more to develop PS3 games than it will Revolution games. The new controller won't affect the price of Revolution games at all, it's simply just a new form of input. When developers get a Revolution kit they get all the programming to make their games run with the pointer which means that Nintendo has already done 99.9% of the programming for them. It's the same with the controllers we have now, the programming for the buttons have already been mapped out and all developers have to do is assign actions to those buttons.

The reason people are worried that the PS3 games will cost more is because we're heading into the stage where PS3 games will be like those multimillion dollar boxoffice movies, which isn't necessarily a good thing. Sure they'll look bloody good, but will they be fun to play and worth the extre money I'm paying for it?
 shukrallah
10-23-2005, 2:30 PM
MGS4 will be, I know that much. Other games like Devil May Cry and Final Fantasy will be worth it as well. As for the average FPS on the PS3... who knows... :-\

But aren't all games becoming more and more like boxoffice movies? I mean... thats the ultimate goal, right? Amazing gameplay, graphics, and that cinematic feel. All a video game is is an interactive movie (sorta...)
 Lynk Former
10-24-2005, 1:03 AM
No not all games, but there are games that are. A game that's more cinematic isn't necessarily going to be a good game though which is the big problem.
 Commander 598
11-24-2005, 11:53 PM
Other(PC)

As much as i'd like to play some of these games, most wouldn't hold my attention much longer than 10 hours and I don't feel like shelling out for two or three $400 machines for about six games, two of which are PC ports and another one is ported to the PC.

I've still got several games on my PC(Yes, I still play them) that pre-date the now obsolete consoles and their ten hour uber-linear games.
 The Doctor
11-25-2005, 10:57 PM
PC will always win.
 90SK
11-26-2005, 12:29 AM
Yeah, that's pretty much a given. It already has mp3, DVD, HD, and all that mess that the next gen consoles brag. It'll always be on top. The only things it doesn't have are mainly a brand of the games. Some of them don't come out for PC, naturally. The Revolution-style controller system is lacking too, though it's not necessary for PC.

Disregarding that though, I'd have to say the Revolution. For the numerous reasons stated above, and also simply because it's coming out later than the other two: it can learn from the mistakes. And, like previously stated, the Revolution isn't really trying to compete with craziness that the PS3 and 360 toat. They're going a whole different way (the total backwards compatibility will be a big turn on for oldschool gamers).
 Bob Lion54
11-26-2005, 5:25 AM
I'm curious as to how the problems with the X-Box are going to impact PS3 sales.
I would think many people might get a PS3 instead now.
 Lynk Former
11-26-2005, 7:13 AM
I don't think it'll affect Xbox360 sales at all, remember the PS2 had worse problems when it first came out.
 shukrallah
11-26-2005, 11:08 AM
What problems?

Other(PC)

PC will always win.

I said console. Also, PCs aren't always used for games. Crap, some schools and businesses buy hundreds of computers and the only games ever loaded are solitaire and minesweeper.
 Lynk Former
11-26-2005, 11:17 AM
What problems?
Disc read errors, the drive scratching and destroying discs, failing to play DVD movies, etc, etc, etc... you'd get people having to take their PS2s back to get a new one and in some cases the replacement had problems too.
 d5c
11-29-2005, 12:21 PM
its a close poll

x-box 360 dosn`t work good "trust me"
 primalunderdog
11-30-2005, 9:53 PM
How can you win a console war in the first place? :dozey: There should be an extra option saying "no one"

You win by makin the most money and becoming a bigger company
 primalunderdog
11-30-2005, 9:54 PM
its a close poll

x-box 360 dosn`t work good "trust me"

What are you talkin about bitch I have one it rocks.I won it in the mountian dew competition.what do you mean by good?
 Lynk Former
11-30-2005, 9:59 PM
You win by makin the most money and becoming a bigger company
Then by that logic, Nintendo wins.
 90SK
11-30-2005, 10:04 PM
What are you talkin about bitch I have one it rocks.I won it in the mountian dew competition.what do you mean by good?

By "good" he likely means "doesn't overheat and crash, doesn't scratch disks to the point of uselessness, etc."

I guess yours doesn't have those problems.
 El Sitherino
12-01-2005, 10:28 AM

Cut the flaming or your ass is mine.
 Rogue Nine
12-01-2005, 11:46 AM
^

Oh, and seeing as Nintendo hasn't even picked out their CPU yet, I dunno if they're really going to make any impact against the other two, in the American market, at least. They're really going to have to hunker down and pull out all the stops.
 Lynk Former
12-03-2005, 4:23 AM
^ They have, a long time ago, When they said "Broadway is finished" they meant that the custom processor Nintendo ordered is complete, however that processor is based on another existing processor, it's just custom made for the Revolution.
 primalunderdog
12-04-2005, 1:46 PM
I hope they realy do good.I dont want to see any fail.This consule is realy goin to get exiting once all off them have been realesed!(Like in fricken 2007 LOL)
 Commander 598
12-11-2005, 8:22 PM
It will be no more exciting than the last one. One of them will have a PC game or two ported over, a year after it was originally released, and there will be another two or three Final Fantasy games.
Another Grand Theft Auto will rear it's head, now sporting five more objects on screen than the last, as will another GTA clone.
EA will make billions off of 2007, 2008, and 2009 sports games that aren't innovative from the previous release in the least...
Another Resident Evil will come out, it might be good, or it might bomb like a JU-87.
I almost forgot Halo 3 AKA how Microsoft will screw up a formula thats worked since Half-Life(Maybe not, I still have some hope for the series, even though I don't own an Xbox.)
The new Playstation and whatever Nintendo's calling it's machine will be loaded with imports, mostly RPGs.

Wow! I'm a psychic!
 d5c
12-12-2005, 5:53 PM
guess what xbox 360 won and it totally stinks.
 90SK
12-12-2005, 8:10 PM
Glad to hear it worked out for you. :¬:
 Seriphyn
12-21-2005, 2:35 PM
Uhm, who will lead, uhm ..... let's see .....
Oh, I don't know, I stick to my PC .... so, the PC will win! :D

Not really, all 128-bit (PC processors only go up to 64-bit) are superior, technically-speaking, to the PC, but only like for a couple years. You still can't play FPSs on a console though.

Plus the XBox360 will be the weakest of all the consoles.

I believe the Revo is the weakest of all consoles, with PS3 at top and Xbox 360 at second.

Really, though, the Revolution is the only 'next-generation' console. For decades, we've simply pressed buttons on a controller to manipulate the game. But, with the Revo, you don't just press buttons, but you actually use the controller to manipulate the game, like using it as a sword or magic staff. That's the next generation right there.

Still getting Xbox 360 so ner.
Page: 1 of 2