Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

AVol's Darth Vader

Page: 1 of 3
 AVol
10-06-2005, 6:40 PM
AVol's Character: Darth Vader (ver. 0.92.36 beta)
For KotOR II: TSL by: AVol

Authors name:
AVol

Authors Contact:
avol@fromru.com

Mod Name:
"Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords" Character: Darth Vader

Description:
This modification allows to play as Darth Vader.
Or equip to your character Darth Vader's Armor.
For this purpose:
Using the "giveitem" cheat command (Optional!)
To enable cheats, in your game directory edit swkotor.ini and under [Game Options] add EnableCheats=1. Start the game then when playing press ' to bring down the console prompt, which is not visible.
At the console prompt, type "giveitem avol_arm_vader" to add the Darth Vader's Armor suit to the inventory. These can then be equiped by the player with the appropriate feats from the inventory screen.

It is beta-version! Some problems with animation!
You can use only one one-handed lightsaber!
Game can be crash when you select your character!

New in ver.0.92.36:
+ The problem with a leg getting out through a cape at run is corrected
+ Some changes in model
+ Some changes in a texture
- Animation is in development
- Problems at a choice of the character are not corrected

At creation of a head used parts from model of a helmet from the mod "Vader's Helmet" by GSCCC.

Installation:
Run "Install AVol's Char Darth Vader.exe" and follow instructions. At inquiry, select yours installation folder (NOT "Override"!!!). The default path is: "C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2".

Uninstall:
Copy all files from your BackUp folder (created during installation) (Default: "C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\ BackUp_AVol_Vader_<yyyy-mm-dd>") in your game folder (Default: "C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2 ").

Download: http://www.pcgamemods.com/mod/15968.html)
Direct Download: http://ds1.pcgamemods.com/core/15968/AVol_Char_DarthVader_092.36.ZIP)

Alternate DL: (Stable for now); http://files.filefront.com/avol+vaderzip/;9863664;/fileinfo.html)
 RevanJedi
10-07-2005, 10:12 AM
does it move now???
 Darth InSidious
10-07-2005, 4:10 PM
O. M. G.
That is amazing!
 The_Maker
10-07-2005, 6:24 PM
o_0

Holy...

Either you are an Obsidian X-Employee or one heckuva modder :cool:

Very nice work as usual avol :clap2:
 cblodgett
10-07-2005, 8:00 PM
I tried out this mod a couple days ago (may have been a previous version) and it doesn't seem to work at all.

The auto-install does not complete correctly. It seems to skip the section where it's supposed to create backups.

If you try to select vader as the PC (new character creation) you get a blank head model (invisible or headless) and when you load the game past the prolog (I.E. where you emerge from the kolto tank) the game freezes at the black screen, though the game music continues to play the game will not load. If you try to equip the vader armor on an already made character you can put the armor on but you can not move, you can stand there and flourish your saber (realy cool flourish though) but when you try to move you just "run in place" and dont go anywhere.

The "Holowan plugin (TSL)" has a version of this armor that is usable though it splits the armor in seperate robes and helmet. Unfortunatly the helmet model in this version is set to far forward and the back of the PC head protrudes through the back of the helmet. This may not be as ovious if you use a PC with black hair but for a bald or light hair colored PC this is painfully obvious.

Thanks for your time and i sincerly hope these errors can be corrected as this would be one hell of a mod if it worked as it should.

PS. tried this one out seems to be a new version. got past character creation and into the game. past where i previously mentioned teh freeze-up. Character creation is still headless though you do get the vader prtrait. aside from that minor asthetic gripe this mod seems to mork much beter than the previous version.
 AVol
10-07-2005, 10:15 PM
The auto-install does not complete correctly. It seems to skip the section where it's supposed to create backups.
In the new version of it is not present? At me in old and new version installation always passed normally.

If you try to select vader as the PC (new character creation) you get a blank head model (invisible or headless) and when you load the game past the prolog (I.E. where you emerge from the kolto tank) the game freezes at the black screen, though the game music continues to play the game will not load. If you try to equip the vader armor on an already made character you can put the armor on but you can not move, you can stand there and flourish your saber (realy cool flourish though) but when you try to move you just "run in place" and dont go anywhere.
It almost completely is corrected. Blank-head model of that in my model a body and a head - a single whole.
If at a choice of the character it is visible not blank-head model, that, at opening a window of a choice of character, game takes off :( In other cases all works.

The "Holowan plugin (TSL)" has a version of this armor that is usable though it splits the armor in seperate robes and helmet. Unfortunatly the helmet model in this version is set to far forward and the back of the PC head protrudes through the back of the helmet. This may not be as ovious if you use a PC with black hair but for a bald or light hair colored PC this is painfully obvious.
???
 Archangel WT
10-15-2005, 12:45 AM
Meow! The mod is really cool, but there are few questions, that bother me:

1 - Am I glitching, or there are really all FEAT animations but no default ATTACK one? =(
2 - Why Lord Vader has the skirt under his coat? =/ Does'nt he got just NORMAL pants?
3 - When you will release the new version? :)

And, I think, that the mod should come with a custom saber and some all-new Force Choke, that will be MUCH more powerful, that the game's default, and even maybe Crush...

P.S. I think, that your FEAT/FLUORISH anims need a little slow-down...
 TreeX
10-15-2005, 1:18 AM
Meow! The mod is really cool, but there are few questions, that bother me:

1 - Am I glitching, or there are really all FEAT animations but no default ATTACK one? =(
2 - Why Lord Vader has the skirt under his coat? =/ Does'nt he got just NORMAL pants?
3 - When you will release the new version? :)

And, I think, that the mod should come with a custom saber and some all-new Force Choke, that will be MUCH more powerful, that the game's default, and even maybe Crush...

P.S. I think, that your FEAT/FLUORISH anims need a little slow-down...

O_o His flourish is just the one Malak uses in K1, you cant expect everything to be correct about the character afterall he basically retextured the whole thing, and there is a 'normal attack' animation but only for Humanoids as the Malak/Nihilus Template wasn't made to fight things like Mining Droids and Bomas. I think I know what I'm talking about. O_O
 Archangel WT
10-15-2005, 7:56 AM
I thought, that fighting droids/bomas uses the same anim, that is for ranged opponents... =/ The default one. While Malak was spotted only in fighting with dueling anims... (Which I can not say about Nihilus, who must've been able to attack Mandalore directly.. Or am I mistaken? Either way, the anims for melee duel fight and ranged opponents are different ;) )

And, BTW, the model was custom created? I haven't seen any thing, that could be retextured for Vader... =/ Anyways, it is possible to change it a little near the legs to make him look more realistic...

His electronics texture on chest needs a little alteration too... The coat and helm are looking O.K., and I hope, no one will complain about DS/LS transition, 'but it can be done by making a default Anakin character (I think, that there are few average at pcgamemods, and it will cause no problems with a animation at the start of the game) and at the second transition just make him permanently equip such armor by Canderous-kind-of script... This would be GREAT, but it needs lot of work, will broke other characters and it's just an idea - nothing more. =|

And I just say, that this mod release is VERY GOOD for BETA! About the sabers - I think, that is better to forbid him using a offhand AT ALL, like Kreia. Lord Vader will look ugly with dual or two lightsabers EVEN if someone will supply the anims! And there's definetly must be his own lightsaber with enchanced stats...

P.S. Does anyone have high-polygon Vader's saber model? I surfed the net, but high-poly saber hilts were only for the 1-st KOTOR Obi and Qui... :(
And I just can't made one by myself due to the lack of resources and 3D modelling skillZ.

Please correct if mistaken in anything... I'm not such a skilled moder for KOTOR... Still I love this game. =)
 Naga Sadow
10-15-2005, 2:22 PM
I think that Darth Vader is good
 Darth InSidious
10-15-2005, 2:52 PM
Archangel - adding animations to KotOR or KotOR II is impossible ;)
 TreeX
10-15-2005, 4:42 PM
Archangel - adding animations to KotOR or KotOR II is impossible ;)

O_O you tell that to stoffe's backflip :D
 Darth InSidious
10-15-2005, 6:05 PM
the whu? Last time I checked it was imposs, anyhow. Difficult t odo, certainly...
 BlazeHoliday
10-15-2005, 8:54 PM
can we get a pic of this mod?
 BlazeHoliday
10-15-2005, 8:59 PM
nevermind, lol hit the link and seen the pics... wow, just wow, amazing graphics.
 RedHawke
10-16-2005, 1:56 AM
O_O you tell that to stoffe's backflip :D
:eyeraise: Er... TreeX... That backflip animation comes with the game, it is just unused, stoffe didn't create it... :roleyess: :D
 TreeX
10-16-2005, 6:18 AM
Doh! /me bashes head against wall

there goes my aspirations of animations @_@
 Archangel WT
10-16-2005, 8:16 AM
Sooo, if U can't add an anim, is it possible to just link NORMAL chara's anims to Vader? =/

And I think the author knows, what he's saying, "animation is in development". ;) Surely he will do something... At least, TRY. =|

P.S. Here are the links to other Lord Vader stuff for The Sith Lords:

http://www.pcgamemods.com/mod/13357.html) - For sound

http://www.pcgamemods.com/mod/13272.html) - The lightsaber... As I said before, it's the most-poly model, that I found...

P.P.S. And what about the Mandalore's armor and Kreia's Offhand scripts? Can they be rigged to this model in game to forbid him using the offhand and to remove armor/helmet?
 Archangel WT
10-16-2005, 8:18 AM
AVol, reply, pliZ, when the new version will be released? 8)
 kdsphantom
10-16-2005, 11:38 PM
I just downloaded this and cant wait to try it )
Avol this looks so nice and cant believe your not finished ) just drooling to think what your finished version will be, but aye well done )
kdsphantom

Edit: Ohh, i just loaded this up, at the char screen ya there was no head but that was okies the game loaded up fine fer me, But ohh man that looks soo cool, so im off to find some jedi heh.
 RedHawke
10-17-2005, 2:05 AM
Sooo, if U can't add an anim, is it possible to just link NORMAL chara's anims to Vader? =/
Not at this time... though things might change pending a model animation breakthrough. ;)

And I think the author knows, what he's saying, "animation is in development". ;) Surely he will do something... At least, TRY. =|
Well this can mean a lot of things, but importing or creating new animations is a big hurdle for us, and currently impossible, so I really have no-idea what AVol means by this. But it sounds promising. :)

Just an FYI, we have no official support from either LA, Bioware, or Obsidian Ent. so all of our tools have to be made from scratch, and every file format has to be figured out by us, and the model format is one of these hurdles. Example: The Darth Revan Models and their non-animated cape, getting that cape to be animated is one of our longest desired but impossible to do mods.
 AVol
10-17-2005, 9:34 PM
Look the movie...;)
His electronics texture on chest needs a little alteration too... The coat and helm are looking O.K., and I hope, no one will complain about DS/LS transition, 'but it can be done by making a default Anakin character (I think, that there are few average at pcgamemods, and it will cause no problems with a animation at the start of the game) and at the second transition just make him permanently equip such armor by Canderous-kind-of script... This would be GREAT, but it needs lot of work, will broke other characters and it's just an idea - nothing more. =|
Good idea - I shall try to make... :)
adding animations to KotOR or KotOR II is impossible
I can use Hex-Editor... I try to create chains of animations through supermodel...
AVol, reply, pliZ, when the new version will be released? 8)
Heh... I am enough occupied recently, therefore it is difficult for me to tell... :(
 The Doctor
10-18-2005, 8:30 PM
AVol, you are a God. You've done some amazing skins, this definately being one of your best. Keep'em coming!
 Earthjedi
10-18-2005, 9:23 PM
Great Mod.
 Archangel WT
10-21-2005, 3:07 PM
2 AVol: He has not "skirt", but the small thing, that DOES NOT cover front of his legs, I mean, it is smaller... ;) I little misspelled at first... :/

2 RedHawke: I know all about modders' troubles, 'coz i've got some me-self, when was modding other games, still, I'm nope in scripting, and they were unsignificant.

KOTOR got some troubles, 'coz the game was designed for X-box (those damn Microsofters!) and even not includes a visible console... :/ But sure it is easier to mod, that, for example, Fallout! =)

2 All: Guys, I've got trouble with game - it hangs on Visas Vision cutscene, could anyone tell me, why it can be? =/ My game is full up in modules, but the .2da files not conflict, and where can I download a game-editor? PliZ post a link... 8)
 Mono_Giganto
10-24-2005, 1:19 AM
Not at this time... though things might change pending a model animation breakthrough. ;)

Well, from my point of view, to get a body with the Malak animations to have normal animations would just require weighting the mesh in question to the normal skeleton (Only Enlarged) instead of Malak's. Not too fun a job. Weighting sucks. Chances of getting it to export and retain those animations are low to none, but not many people have the time on their hands to try, nor could I blame them.

Example: The Darth Revan Models and their non-animated cape, getting that cape to be animated is one of our longest desired but impossible to do mods.

Maybe not impossible, might be able to fake it with some clever weighting, just, who would do it? Not many modellers here with knowledge of weighting.
 Kainzorus Prime
10-27-2005, 1:46 PM
it is great indeed but i have to ask the stupid questions:

Can it be used In K1 aswell? (Hence some files from K1 are compatibile with TSL and vice versa)

Are you planning doing K1 version?
 The Doctor
11-04-2005, 5:46 PM
I don't think it can be used in K1. I could be wrong, though.
 RedHawke
11-04-2005, 10:12 PM
I don't think it can be used in K1. I could be wrong, though.
You aren't Doc! :) The model formats are different between the 2 games.
 Darth_Pegasus
11-11-2005, 3:50 AM
DS/LS transition, 'but it can be done by making a default Anakin character (I think, that there are few average at pcgamemods, and it will cause no problems with a animation at the start of the game) and at the second transition just make him permanently equip such armor by Canderous-kind-of script... This would be GREAT, but it needs lot of work, will broke other characters and it's just an idea - nothing more. =|

i like that idea...lol make a ep 3 anakin for the first ds transition and a normal one for the neutral...hmm...also there are no LS transitions :P just neutral.
 Darth_Pegasus
11-11-2005, 3:31 PM
sorry about this double post...but...when i try to start a game as vader(selecting the guy in new game mode) when i go to portrait....cant skip that...it just closes...any ideas on what to do?
 Mono_Giganto
11-11-2005, 4:10 PM
Edit button is your friend. :D
 Darth_Pegasus
11-21-2005, 1:20 AM
ok an idea for the updated version avol...would you make it compatible with oldflash's Jedi_armor mods?

edit: currently haveing both makes the vader armors icon look like one of the modded Jal Shey modifyed armors. and the actual armors helm turns a greyish color.
 Dark_Ansem
01-26-2006, 9:17 AM
hmmm... what about Force powers? this suffers the same problems of Darth nihilus....

cause it's from his module that you edited it right? Great job however, it made my dream come true, finally vader!

EDIT: however you should fix some animations... like Vader running when low on health, he stands still but moves! you should give him the basic running animation!
 Darth Zodiac
06-05-2006, 10:16 AM
This Darth Vader mod is awesome! However, I'm sad to see that it can only be used in TSL. Is it possible to get a version of this for the first KOTOR?
 EnderWiggin
06-05-2006, 3:48 PM
Not by Avol probably... the last time his profile says he was on the forum was 04-14-2006 almost two months ago.

_EW_
 Shem
06-05-2006, 3:49 PM
This Darth Vader mod is awesome! However, I'm sad to see that it can only be used in TSL. Is it possible to get a version of this for the first KOTOR?No. Because it's based off of Darth Nihilus' model, and that model does not exist in K1. :)
 Darth Zodiac
06-06-2006, 6:58 AM
No. Because it's based off of Darth Nihilus' model, and that model does not exist in K1. :)
So, is there a way I could extract the Darth Nihilus model from KOTOR 2: TSL and import it into the original KOTOR?
 Shem
06-06-2006, 7:27 AM
So, is there a way I could extract the Darth Nihilus model from KOTOR 2: TSL and import it into the original KOTOR?Porting is illegal and talking like that around here can get you into trouble. I see that you're new, so I assume you didn't understand that yet. Just keep that in mind in the future. ;)
 Darth Zodiac
06-06-2006, 8:10 AM
Porting is illegal and talking like that around here can get you into trouble. I see that you're new, so I assume you didn't understand that yet. Just keep that in mind in the future. ;)
Well, the way I understood it was that extracting objects from one game and distributing it to be imported into another game was illegal. However, I thought that asking for an explanation on how I could personally extract the Darth Nihilus model from my own copy of KOTOR 2: TSL and importing it into my own copy of KOTOR for my own personal use would be perfectly acceptable.

But if any kind of porting is illegal, then would it be possible for AVol's Darth Vader model to be edited so that it uses another model presently available in KOTOR? Perhaps Malak's model in KOTOR could be substituted for Nihilus's in KOTOR 2?

I just really, really want to use this Darth Vader mod in both KOTOR games.
 RedHawke
06-06-2006, 9:56 PM
Well, the way I understood it was that extracting objects from one game and distributing it to be imported into another game was illegal.
Correct...

However, I thought that asking for an explanation on how I could personally extract the Darth Nihilus model from my own copy of KOTOR 2: TSL and importing it into my own copy of KOTOR for my own personal use would be perfectly acceptable.
Incorrect, we do not even condone the discussion of these things here...

See, we only exist at the whim of LA, Bioware, and OE they 'tolerate' us because we do not step on any toes. If we discussed these things they wouldn't take too kindly to that, so we don't tempt fate.

Sorry no porting or discussions about porting.
 Dark_Ansem
01-04-2007, 6:48 AM
I wonder if an update is coming out... I was wishing for a completed version...
 RedHawke
01-05-2007, 12:23 AM
Being that AVol hasn't posted here in a very long time I would say no.
 Dark_Ansem
01-05-2007, 4:49 AM
damn it. I can only hope then that someone takes up his work and finishes it...
 Shem
01-05-2007, 7:02 AM
damn it. I can only hope then that someone takes up his work and finishes it...It's not that simple. You just don't go in and finish someone else's work.
 Ghost Down
01-05-2007, 9:31 AM
It's not that simple. You just don't go in and finish someone else's work.
Yep, you need to have the modders permission!

- Ghost Down
 Dark_Ansem
01-08-2007, 6:56 AM
I know. But what if Avol never comes back?
 Darth InSidious
01-08-2007, 7:46 AM
Then the mod stays as it is, and that's all there is to it.
 Darkkender
01-08-2007, 5:42 PM
It is beta-version! Some problems with animation!
You can use only one one-handed lightsaber!
Game can be crash when you select your character!

Are the following the things you are looking to get fixed?

If so the first 2 likely can't/won't be fixed as we have yet to fully crack model animations for the game or to be able to change nihilus saber wield animations.

The 3 glitch is caused by a hardcoded element within the engine and character selection and also cannot be fixed.
 Dark_Ansem
01-15-2007, 4:37 AM
I'm talking about running poses when you're low on health, for example. I know the third one cannot be fixed and about the lightsaber problem I don't care, I always use 1 lightsaber and that(apart from that there is a cool animation of Nihilus very similar of Darth Vader, he crosses his arms when standing. can you make nihilus alwas have it when he is staring at the sky? also, how can you make the player have it?)
Page: 1 of 3