Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

One Important Reason For Not Changing Engine

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth InSidious
10-04-2005, 6:07 AM
.....Having to change modding tools! Imagine having to start all over again, KT not functioning with the game!
 fresnosmokey02
10-04-2005, 9:00 AM
I am sure they won't change the engine. The graphics and the animations, but not the engine the game is built on. The modding community has become a very important part of KOTOR.
 Prime
10-04-2005, 9:17 AM
Since the game will be released years from now, no doubt it will be completely rebuilt from scratch...
 Char Ell
11-15-2005, 11:56 PM
I'm glad I found this thread because it really struck me today that if KotOR 3 is made it will definitely have significant changes to the game engine or a completely new engine. Why? The next-gen consoles are on the way. The XBOX 360 and PS 3 will use multiple-CPU's. Gone are the days of single thread game programmed games like KotOR and TSL. Now don't get me wrong, I think this will be cool because this will give developers the ability to do a lot more with games but I also think that any future KotOR release will no doubt be designed for use on at least one of the new consoles, probably the XBOX 360 but who knows? This could also have interesting implications for porting games to the PC. The consoles will be significantly ahead of PC's in terms of gaming performance. I'm eager to see how this plays out in the future but now am also thinking that maybe 2007 is the earliest we'll see any future KotOR game.

And yeah, I know this little epiphany I had today was most likely realized by the forum's more technically savvy members quite some time ago but what can I say other than I'm slow to catch on sometimes... :giveup:
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
11-19-2005, 11:58 PM
Lucas arts, and microsoft (they'll have to bribe to get KIII first:D) pay several million dollars to Fred, TK, and any other toolmaker to collaborate and make a new modding tool that blows everything else out of the water, yet is still just as simple and easy as KT:D

But seriously, LA is going to want 360 money, and microsoft has to be careful about what to bring to 360, if KIII doesn't at least live up to what I've seen of oblivion they might be hesitant to support it, they already have a PR nightmare fight with sony and can't really afford to have games with the visual quality (not knocking it, just facing facts) of TSL when they've already set a high standard visually with their launch and first year titles.

What little I've seen of Mass Effect looks sweet, since that's by bioware I don't know if it's the same engine or not, but since KIII will probably be released much later than that, it must surpass it.
Page: 1 of 1