Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

DeLay Indicted

Page: 1 of 1
 TK-8252
09-28-2005, 4:36 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/28/delay.indict/index.html)

So this is who the republicans had as their majority leader eh...
 Samuel Dravis
09-28-2005, 5:43 PM
Remember that "indicted" does not mean "convicted."

But if he is convicted, I hope they nail him with everything they've got. I have no use for people that do that kind of thing.
 ShadowTemplar
09-28-2005, 5:50 PM
"I have done nothing unlawful, unethical or, I might add, unprecedented," he [DeLay] said.

[My emphasis]

Well, one truth in three. That's not too bad for a politician.
 SkinWalker
09-28-2005, 11:39 PM
They need to clean house of all these criminals so I can vote Republican again and sleep at night. The Democrats need to clean house of the spineless wimps that have populated their ranks, but the corruption in this adminstration is abominable.
 edlib
09-29-2005, 12:40 AM
I'd just be happy if we could only get a handful of moderates with half a clue to rise to the top in either party to balance out the stupid extremists the rest seem determined to drive us all into.

But back on topic:

DeLay is clearly a sleazbo criminal dirtbag, and deserves whatever punishment he has coming to him. But the realist in me knows that whatever it is, it won't be nearly enough.
 txa1265
09-29-2005, 4:35 AM
Of course, the prosecutor is a known Democratic operative with a history of frivolous (and costly to *us*) trumped up, no basis, politically motivated attacks like this.

So regardless of the general sliminess of Delay, we have to be sure there is actual 'proof of fact', and given that the actual indictment contains almost nothing but generalities and insinuations, it may be another smear campaign.

Mike
 SkinWalker
09-29-2005, 11:26 AM
The prosecutor, if it is the same one that I read about last year, has prosecuted more democrats than republicans in his career. So the "uabashed attack" that Delay alleges is a fallacy.

One doesn't get an indictment for nothing. Either their is evidence enough to convince a grand jury or their isn't.

Delay is a thug and a corrupt politician. The cronyism in the current administration is ruining the nation and costing us billions.
 ShadowTemplar
09-29-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm getting a feeling that I'm not the only one around here who's read 'The Great Unraveling'...
 toms
10-03-2005, 12:03 PM
When you have prosecutors that are clearly partisan (for whatever side) it undermines any findings they might have, and always gives the person under investigation the chance to claim unfairness... whether it exists or not.

After the fishing expedition that that republican special investigator used to go after the clintons a few years back any faith in either the integrity of politicians or the impartiality of those investigating them has evaporated.

With the US political funding model can't we just save time and assume that they are ALL breaking the law in some fashion. Just give them all a default 1 year jail term after their term ends... ;)
 CapNColostomy
10-03-2005, 1:09 PM
One doesn't get an indictment for nothing.

An indictment is a formal criminal charge issued by a district attorney, or in some cases by a grand jury aledging that the person or persons named in the indictment have comitted some criminal act. So you're saying anyone who's ever been charged was guilty?
 riceplant
10-03-2005, 3:49 PM
No, he's saying you don't get charged for nothing. Evidence of some kind is required before even charging someone, at least in any half-civilised country.
 SkinWalker
10-04-2005, 1:25 AM
I'm saying that a prosecutor doesn't risk embarrassment or losing political capital in such endeavors without something credible and tenable in regards to evidence.

Whether or not the evidence can be successfully refuted by the defense will remain to be seen, but they definately have something on the guy.

In fact, I believe the prosecutor has added a new charge to the list. Something about money laundering?
 CapNColostomy
10-04-2005, 4:22 AM
I don't doubt it. In fact, to be honest I really know very little about the case at all. I was just under the impression you were saying something you obviously weren't.
 TK-8252
10-04-2005, 7:53 AM
In fact, I believe the prosecutor has added a new charge to the list. Something about money laundering?

Yup.

It was actually a different Texas grand jury, though.
 ShadowTemplar
10-05-2005, 1:51 PM
With the US political funding model can't we just save time and assume that they are ALL breaking the law in some fashion. Just give them all a default 1 year jail term after their term ends... ;)

LOL. True, true. Would probably go a long way towards making American prisons resemble the prisons of 3rd-world dictatorships a little less. Though you might find it just a mite tough to get it through Congress :-)

No, he's saying you don't get charged for nothing. Evidence of some kind is required before even charging someone, at least in any half-civilised country.

Your point?
 riceplant
10-05-2005, 2:10 PM
Quote:

Your point?No point as such, just that such an action would require evidence of some form, not just accusations. (Assuming America is civilised, which I doubt many Americans would refute)
 ShadowTemplar
10-05-2005, 2:34 PM
Ah, but I'm not American. Oh, well, it was a bad joke to begin with, and it looks like it was dead before it hit the floor.
 SkinWalker
10-06-2005, 10:00 AM
However, in the state of Texas, a prosecutor isn't required to show evidence in order to obtain an indictment.

It seems that DeLay lied about his not being asked to appear. Earl did ask him and DeLay refused.
 SkinWalker
10-20-2005, 2:38 PM
More news on Delay: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9557669/site/newsweek/)

You have to love Jonathan Alter of Newsweek
 DarkStarMojo
10-31-2005, 7:02 PM
can't we just save time and assume that they are ALL breaking the law in some fashion.

But they ARE all breaking the law. What's to assume? :lol:

DeLay is a slime ball, sleazy scumbag interested only in lining his own pockets and increasing his own political power. I hope he crashes and burns hard. Unfortunately, given the state of politics in this country, I doubt much will happen to him if anything at all.
Page: 1 of 1