Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

No, I don't want to install WinFixer! Stupid pop-up.

Page: 1 of 1
 TyraaRane
09-26-2005, 10:33 PM
Okay. So am I the only one having an issue with the world's most annoying JavaScript pop-ups all of a sudden? Every time I load a page on any of the forums here, I get a mini JavaScript pop-up in the corner of my screen asking if I want to install WinFixer 2005. I click No/Cancel, it pops up a full screen window for WinFixer. I hit the magic close button, it pops up that JavaScript thing and asks me, again, if I want to install WinFixer. I say no (dude, I don't even have Windows! STFU and go away!), and it finally goes away. But load a new page...at it starts all over again.

I'm 100% sure it's nothing on my computer that's doing it--the pop-up only shows up when I load a new page here. I have Camino with pop-up blockers enabled...how it's able to get around those, I have no idea (probably has to do with the JavaScript). But it's bloody annoying, whatever it is.

Anybody else having this problem all of a sudden? Anybody want to suggest a fix?
 Metallus
09-26-2005, 10:37 PM
I've gotten it once, ugh. The real fix would be for LFN to get the ad company to pull the ad (which can and will probably happen), but I imagine one could disable javascript in their browser for the time being.
 Aristotle
09-27-2005, 12:24 AM
I have not seen any such ad. In fact, we specifically removed all pop up ads from lucasforums with the relaunch of lucasforums vb3. If anyone can pinpoint the source of the pop ups, I'll email the network responsible and demand the ad be taken out of the rotation.
 TK-8252
09-27-2005, 12:30 AM
I'm getting it too.
 coupes.
09-27-2005, 1:03 AM
When you see ads, even if there is a "cancel" button, make sure you press the "X" in the corner of the window instead, because more often than not, it's a fake button that'll send you elsewhere or open up more pop-ups. ;)
 Aristotle
09-27-2005, 1:59 AM
I found the source. I'll email the ad network tomorrow and demand its removal from our inventory. Good as done. Good feedback in the process too. Thanks for the heads up.
 Mike Windu
09-27-2005, 8:56 PM
Thanks Aristotle! The popup was getting rather annoying :p
 TiE23
09-27-2005, 9:47 PM
*Has aneurysm*
My god is there no end. I hope they act soon Aristotle cause I'm still getting it on my computer.
 El Sitherino
09-28-2005, 10:26 AM
*Has aneurysm*
My god is there no end. I hope they act soon Aristotle cause I'm still getting it on my computer.
Adblock. You use firefox right? If so just turnoff pop-ups, adblock mediamgr.ugo.com. Huzzah, you're safe. If you use opera just block pop-ups.
Page: 1 of 1