Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

More KOTOR III Possibilty News! (KOTOR MMO Confirmed?)

Page: 1 of 5
 kookaburra
09-26-2005, 10:12 AM
NEWS ALERT!!

ANOTHER KOTOR RUMOUR/HOPE LURKING ON IGN

POSTED 26th September 2005 (AEST)

Hello Ladies and Gents

Guess what I found while browsing the obisidian fourms?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mailbag 08.30.05

Nothing more than the greatest bundle of all time.

Hoping

Q.I see that Bioware is recruiting for some new games, which really kinda bums me out. I was hoping for a Knights of the Old Republic 3. With the power of the new Xbox, and maybe a story set in the expanded universe after the movies (like perhaps the Thrawn trilogy) they probably could have easily had the missing killer app in the launch lineup and made a fortune. Any idea if they'll ever make another one?

I believe (think) this is the answer all you KOTOR fans have been waiting for? see below for the answer by an IGN offical -Kookaburra

A.Since another mailbag junkie had recently asked that question and you have bought it up again, I just happen to have a vague but positive answer for you. I spoke with LucasArts the other day and the spokesperson said that they see the series as a franchise, an ongoing franchise, which means that yes, they certainly will make another game. But don't count on BioWare making that game. Most likely, the developer of KOTOR: The Sith Lords will hand the third one, which I am 99% sure will be on Xbox 360. Unless LucasArts decides to take the series to the Xbox next year…which I somehow doubt. I wish I knew more about next year's Xbox lineup, but nobody will say anything. My theory is that developers will make a few, non-important games on the Xbox next year, but the bulk of their money and the important franchises will head to Xbox 360.

Answered by a guy named --Douglass

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found another KOTOR III possibility! well just take this one for the moment as a rumour. This linkie is at least some good news for a possible KOTOR III.(I ain't saying KOTOR III is offical-just a might)

head here to read for yourself my lovely dear friends:

Source (below) for the above possible news!

http://xbox.ign.com/mail/2005-08-30.html)

I will keep a look out for more KOTOR III rumours and hopes.

another source where I foun this from :D

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=36215&st=690)

but in the mean time I will keep searching any where I can for more "hopeful" KOTOR III news.

Good luck Ladies and Gents

Cheero

Kookaburra
 Darth Moeller
09-26-2005, 10:30 AM
Great news! So finally some solid confirmation that it is going to be done. Not that we all didn't know it would be done sometime anyways just because the first 2 were so good, but this is good to hear.
 RedHawke
09-27-2005, 1:02 AM
Unfortunately most of us who were here for the K2 rumors and stuff have heard things like this before...

I'll belive it when LA announces it and puts that up on their site. ;)
 Prime
09-27-2005, 8:03 AM
Who is this Douglass dude anyway? So if what he is saying is true we are likely looking at 2007 at the earliest
 fresnosmokey02
09-27-2005, 9:24 AM
News and rumors keep me hopeful. But like the man said, I'll believe it when I see an actual announcement. I expect that the first actal hard confirmation of the game will be at an E3 show within the next two years. If we don't see it by E3 2007 I expect it will never be made.
 Drinking Sith
09-27-2005, 10:43 AM
This is great news but still i agree with you all I will only Totoally belive in it if it is gonna be a actual announcement from the developers of kotor2
 chaleur
09-27-2005, 2:56 PM
But like the man said, I'll believe it when I see an actual announcement.

That is wise, given the way projects are wont to get canned in the games industry. Though even an E3 announcement is not a 100% guarantee of anything.
 FunSolo
10-01-2005, 9:31 AM
i dont believe that they come up wit a kotor3 in 2006. its more possible in 2007 or later. cause they'll prolly use the new engine of neverwinter nights 2. if they still keep the old engine they piss off too many ppl just for the fact that its not uptodate.
but no matter when it comes out, i hope they will get more time for it, cause i dont wanna see that much cut content anymore or a buggy one. otherwise this gameseries is dead like the star trek games.
 The Doctor
10-01-2005, 10:16 AM
I heard rumours that it wouldn't com out until 2009, but I could be wrong...
 FunSolo
10-01-2005, 10:30 AM
i think we all hope you'r wrong bout this :D
 SITHSLAYER133
10-03-2005, 8:51 AM
i say let em work on it till its good not rushed
 RedHawke
10-04-2005, 12:09 AM
I can only answer this post with a movie quote...

"Words of wisdom Lloyd, words of wisdom!" - Jack Torrance (The Shining)

:D
 Kain
10-04-2005, 1:19 AM

If only the companies worked like that...greedy bastards.
 stingerhs
10-04-2005, 1:47 AM
well, i think this was more of a 'Burning Questions' type thing like they have on Gamespot. basically, its were one of the editors of the site comments and responds to questions that other users have about one particular subject or the other.

in this case, what i've just read sounds to me like it was just speculation to hopefully appease the person that asked the question. *shrugs*
 Prime
10-04-2005, 8:41 AM
The guy doesn't even know what platform it would be on. He is just as in the dark as everyone else.
 j3di_sean
10-08-2005, 12:06 PM
I'm not sure if someone posted this yet... but here is some news on the possibility of KOTOR3. Only time will tell whether it is true and I seriously do hope it is...

http://www.fi-sci.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=318&Itemid=44)
 Auark Streck
10-08-2005, 6:31 PM
i sure hope it comes out soon.
 The_Maker
10-08-2005, 9:40 PM
The link sean posted sounds kinda iffy... 14 f*****g years after K2? o_0
Thats 19 years after K1... can you imagion how OLD Revan, and Bastila, and Carth and the whole original party would be?

Dang Old >.<

And using the Jade Empire system doesn't sound like LucasArts either, I mean sure people like it but if this thing is coming to the newer generation systems do they REALLY expect us to still like the older game engines?

I dunno, sounds like a bunch of bull to me =/

And if it WAS "under development for months now" wouldn't the website for LucasArts have at least SOME sort of "heads up" or "new game" alert?
Sounds fake to me :sign2:
 IndianaSolo
10-08-2005, 11:48 PM
So basically it's a rehash of what we've heard countless times. Nothing concrete, and nothing really new.

It's not really rocket science, and it doesn't take an "insider" to know that another KOTOR game will be made. Lucasarts has said as much everytime they've been asked about it. So I'm not really sure how this is any different than the countless other threads about KOTOR speculation/rumor/innuendo.
 Lightsider
10-09-2005, 12:32 AM
Hey, Obsidian has been working on an as yet untitled rpg for the past year, which in turn say it will be released by early 2006 or just after launch of the 360, cant remember or find the page I printed off but this is good news!! It lists it on the releases for the 360 on IGN. My fingers are crossed on this one!!
 TheExileReturns
10-09-2005, 8:37 AM
I've seen the 2006 lineup for Xbox 360 (Electronic Gaming Monthly issue Nov 2005) and it does not include any Star Wars titles (other than Mercenaries 2, which is a lucas arts game.) My guess is they will make the Kotor III game on the current Xbox system and probably do not consider this game to be a major release. That might be a good thing because they won't be in a big hurry to release it like they did with Kotor II. So I'm guessing Dec '06.
 SpaceAlex
10-09-2005, 11:14 AM
I just hope they don't forget about PC. Considering how few games i play, it would be a waste to buy a console as i would't be using it very often. And besides, games on a console are difficult to modify.
 IndianaSolo
10-09-2005, 1:35 PM
Hey, Obsidian has been working on an as yet untitled rpg for the past year, which in turn say it will be released by early 2006 or just after launch of the 360, cant remember or find the page I printed off but this is good news!! It lists it on the releases for the 360 on IGN. My fingers are crossed on this one!!

It's been said countless times by Obsidian that their unnamed project (Project New Jersey) is "not a sequel". K3 would in fact be considered a sequel. Thus, unless Obsidian is lying or stretching the truth, PNJ is not K3.
 j3di_sean
10-10-2005, 2:13 AM
If you were the developers... would you consider making kotor3 or forget about it and work on entirely new games? Just asking...

Maybe with this ... we can guess whether kotor3 will be in the making or not...
 TheExileReturns
10-11-2005, 7:59 AM
I don't think Obsidian is working on this game (Kotor III) because if it was in development they would be saying something about it on their website. all we have right now is some suit working for Lucas Arts saying "We consider Kotor to be a franchise." That vague statement says to me that they will make a sequel eventually, but they have nothing concrete right now. Hopefully, the collective won't be working on this game because the Revenge of the Sith game really blew big chunks.
 Ztalker
10-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Myself, i think there are 2 options:

Obsidian or Bioware

Since Obsidian already showed loyalty to quikly make a game (It doens't matter if it's a f*ck-up to Lucasarts) and they know the engine. They are the ones with the biggest chance.

The ideal Kotor 3 would be made by Bioware. But Lucasarts needs a developer that they can put pressure on, and that they can blame for a bad game.Bioware doens't like to be pushed around, and does what it likes. That's what makes their games so good.So they won't make K3.

Sorry for the cynism, but since trials of obi-Wan (with Hk-47 ffs!) and kotor 2, i've lost al faith in Lucasarts.
 Shem
10-12-2005, 12:43 PM
I spoke with LucasArts the other day and the spokesperson said that they see the series as a franchise, an ongoing franchise, which means that yes, they certainly will make another game. But don't count on BioWare making that game.

I've read that a long time ago about KOTOR being a frachise. The thing is a storyline has to be developed first and approved before KOTOR III comes out.
 Lightsider
10-13-2005, 2:57 AM
It's been said countless times by Obsidian that their unnamed project (Project New Jersey) is "not a sequel". K3 would in fact be considered a sequel. Thus, unless Obsidian is lying or stretching the truth, PNJ is not K3.
Well, I was thinking that they might be trying to mislead since kotor has been a pretty good money making series, and a new tittle would leave alot to chance. Also these developers are really secretive about what they are working on and seem to thrive on keeping us in missery while we wait. it's almost like a drug that they dangle in our faces, the rats.
 IndianaSolo
10-13-2005, 1:00 PM
Well, I was thinking that they might be trying to mislead since kotor has been a pretty good money making series, and a new tittle would leave alot to chance. Also these developers are really secretive about what they are working on and seem to thrive on keeping us in missery while we wait. it's almost like a drug that they dangle in our faces, the rats.

Yeah, but they wouldn't have stated in no uncertain terms that it is NOT a sequel. All they had to do was just saying nothing. Keep quiet. But they chose to actually comment on the fact their next game is not a sequel.
 joshua05
10-13-2005, 4:09 PM

Well said!!

I was truly upset about KOTOR 2 being rushed...because of all the bugs and glitches.

I say the longer it takes for them to work on it...the less bugs and glitches there will be (hopefully!)...

But...I agree with you 100%. ALTHOUGH, it WOULD stink if it came out in 2009. 2007 is a LITTLE more bareable than 2009..but...that would mean I'd have to get the next-gen XBOX console. And the way I figure is... I already have the original XBOX (that cost over $100 --less than $200), why should I have to use another almost $200 to buy ANOTHER Xbox.

^ The only good thing is..the next-gen XBOX will be able to play games from the ORIGINAL Xbox! (that means...the games I have NOW..won't go to waste! -----Although...I'd have to start all my games over from scratch...UNLESS Microsoft® develops a way to transfer game information and soundtracks on your XBOX hardrive over to the hardrive for the Xbox360 <--that would be a REALLY.NICE.FEATURE (anyone agree with me??).).

That's my $0.02

Joshua
 kookaburra
10-25-2005, 7:37 AM
[NEW] More KOTOR III Speculation (UPDATED 25TH OCTOBER)

Hello here is more KOTOR III speculation I got from some who posted this on gamespot.

KOTOR 3 is confirmed

Came with an ominous - and rather high quality - 'Confidnetial' case file presented in a 'top secret dossier' kinda way

23 360 games to be fully unveiled in 2006-2007

In a somewhat alphabetical order

Avalon
BC
'Secret Bioware Game' (most likely Mass Effect)
Brute Force 2
Chronicles of Riddick 2
Fable 2
GTA6
Half-Life 3
Forza Motorsport 2
Halo 3
Hitman 5
'The Man With no Name' game (Clint Eastwood)
Jade Empire 2
Ninja Gaiden 2
Outrun : Coast 2 Coast
Pro Evolution Soccer 6
Rallisport Challange 3
The Sims 3
Splinter Cell 5
Star Wars : KOTOR III
Turok Next
Unreal Tournament 2007
WWE Wrestlemania 360

source: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions/home.php?union_id=SWBFU)
 Prime
10-25-2005, 10:03 AM
Interesting...
 The_Maker
10-25-2005, 3:36 PM
Hmmmm...
I still dont believe it, if it becomes official then I will agree that its real but until then I think its just another hoaksy piece of inoformation

Oh how I want the news to be true =(
 IndianaSolo
10-25-2005, 4:19 PM
Not to be negative, but that post was made by a user. It has (as far as I saw by browsing the link) no factual or even evidence to back it up. It's just some random person posting something.
 spinkle
10-25-2005, 5:01 PM
how many of the games on that list *have* been confirmed? i don't have or want an xbox/360 so i'm not exactly up on news regarding its [potential] libaray.
 Ztalker
10-26-2005, 6:25 AM
I don't wanna confirm or prove anything, but i read a very high qualified Games magazine, the Power Unlimited.

They have confirmed most of the games in the list:
-Pro Evo 6: They (PU) have tested pro evo 5, and the producer said they where making another one, to counter the improving Fifa.
-Half Life 3: We will get Aftermath. But EA bought Valve, and knowing EA...they will make a Half Life 2006/2007 and a Hl-Undergound (just kiddin)
-UT 2007: Already confirmed, and well under way
-Ninja Gaiden 2: Seen something of it...supposed to be X-Box 360 game
-Halo 3: Bungee didn't show it (yet), so it will be a X-Box 360 launchgame
-GTA 6: Rockstar licensed some names, the list was published in the Power Unlimited, there where about 6-7 of them.

This might be a little off-topic, but all i want to say is:
The list is relatively good, in my opinion.

I woudn't be surprised if K3 is made in secret, so Uncle Bill has a secret weapon if the PS3 or the Revolution would do better than the X-360.
 IndianaSolo
10-26-2005, 11:57 AM
I woudn't be surprised if K3 is made in secret, so Uncle Bill has a secret weapon if the PS3 or the Revolution would do better than the X-360.

Not really sure I'd call K3 a "secret weapon". Compared to games like Halo and GTA it isn't a big seller, so it's not like it'll be that spectacular, break through title that will swing the tide in the Xbox360's favor. In terms of the video game market, I'd say Kotor is a niche game. Certainly not the kind that would warrant being kept secret to unveil at an opportune time to the public to help console sales.
 Shem
10-26-2005, 12:53 PM
how many of the games on that list *have* been confirmed?

That's a good question. It can help us understand if there is any truth to it.
 Vladimir-Vlada
10-27-2005, 2:07 PM
[NEW] More KOTOR III Speculation (UPDATED 25TH OCTOBER)

Hello here is more KOTOR III speculation I got from some who posted this on gamespot.

KOTOR 3 is confirmed

Came with an ominous - and rather high quality - 'Confidnetial' case file presented in a 'top secret dossier' kinda way

23 360 games to be fully unveiled in 2006-2007

In a somewhat alphabetical order

Avalon
BC
'Secret Bioware Game' (most likely Mass Effect)
Brute Force 2
Chronicles of Riddick 2
Fable 2
GTA6
Half-Life 3
Forza Motorsport 2
Halo 3
Hitman 5
'The Man With no Name' game (Clint Eastwood)
Jade Empire 2
Ninja Gaiden 2
Outrun : Coast 2 Coast
Pro Evolution Soccer 6
Rallisport Challange 3
The Sims 3
Splinter Cell 5
Star Wars : KOTOR III
Turok Next
Unreal Tournament 2007
WWE Wrestlemania 360

Hmmmm... When is E3? It is most likely that there we will find out about KOTOR 3. Please let it be true!

P.S. Woot! Fable 2! :D
 IndianaSolo
10-27-2005, 3:46 PM
What I find a bit hard to believe is they list K3 out in the open, but BioWare's as a "secret Bioware game" even though they've announced Mass Effect already.
 The Source
10-29-2005, 3:08 PM
 Samurai DD
10-29-2005, 8:15 PM
Man, its almost sure there will be a KOTOR III. It just aint official yet. ;) Relax, wait for/play BF II, Empire at War, Mass Effect, Trials of Obi Wan... KOTOR III is gonna be made, thats like, 99.9 % sure. Even if its release is in 2009.
 Harmor
11-09-2005, 4:34 PM
I'd agree, its just a question of who will make it and when it will be out. Both Kotor games sold a lot of copies so if just for the money, they will make it, no doubt. That list for 2006/7 seems a bit odd though ... GTA 6? The next GTA will be GTA 4 since GTA 3 (Liberty City) was also some sort of a trilogy start that found its conclusion in GTA San Andreas. So despite Vice City being "technically" GTA 4 and SA being GTA 5, that is actually not the case. Oh well, they prolly just did the number game... GTA is THE perfect example for an ongoing franchise though, which I believe Kotor will be too. I'd say we will see more than just one Kotor game in the next couple years.
 kookaburra
11-15-2005, 12:38 AM
UPDATED 15TH NOVEMBER 2005

Hello I was just browsing Obsisidian and I came across this. thought you might like to read this:

More KOTOR III hints? here you go...

But while Obsidian is hard at work trying to finish up Neverwinter Nights 2 for a summer release, they're also hard at work on another unannounced project. All we have at the moment is speculation based off of some concept art of dwarves resembling those popularized by Snow White but we do know is that this new game will use Unreal Engine 3. Urquhart also mentioned their desire to do a Knights of the Old Republic 3 should LucasArts desire it in the future. I'd be surprised if they didn't.

source:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/666/666403p3.html)

enjoy

-Bas
 SpaceAlex
11-15-2005, 6:25 AM
I don't think the unfisihed product is KOTOR III. The guy just said that he would like to make another KOTOR, which i hope they do. I don't think that any other developer but Obsidian is suitable for this task.
 Char Ell
11-15-2005, 6:21 PM
While this isn't directly related to KotOR 3 news it is related to the current state of LucasArts. I found this info on LucasArts while perusing an MSNBC article about games being released for the Xbox 360...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10033500/)

Good news that LucasArts is doing better since their management shakeup. Unfortunately it only mentions something about an Indiana Jones game being released in 2007. I couldn't care less about that.

But... they have been hiring 200 developers, engineers, and animators for work on games for the new generation of consoles coming out starting with the XBox 360. Hopefully that means that KotOR 3 will be factored in there somewhere. But I'm left wondering that if they move forward with producing KotOR 3 are they going to use an outside developer like Obsidian or will they do it in-house? And if MacLeodCorp's posted link to the GameBanshee forums posting is accurate then Obsidian hasn't even been contacted about doing KotOR 3.
 JediRevan
11-17-2005, 7:39 PM
When KOTOR III is made and released, I foresee that it will take place no more than ten years after KOTOR II and not less than four years after.
 qaz79
11-17-2005, 8:52 PM
KOTOR 3 i think will be out in early 2007.
 ilwugoalie
11-17-2005, 9:03 PM
KOTOR 3 i think will be out in early 2007.

Do you have any proof of this, or is this just a guess :sonar1
 OptimalOptimus
11-17-2005, 9:22 PM
Goto google & search for KOTOR 3 .. you will find bits of news. that Lucas arts was working on it.. BUt they laid off the team who was doing the work. SO that project is Stalled.

WHAT we need to do it Star emailing Luca Arts & LEtting them KNow WE want this Game Made !
Page: 1 of 5