Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Getting licensed to write Star Wars books

Page: 1 of 1
 Tysyacha
09-21-2005, 9:46 PM
How did Kathy Tyers and Timothy Zahn get officially
licensed by Lucasfilms to write books based on Star Wars?
I'm thinking I might try my hand at it, but I want to write
about a period post-Return-of-the-Jedi and post-The-
Truce-at-Bakura. Do any of you have any idea what
I should do if I want to do this (besides give up)?

Sincerely,
Tysyacha
 T7nowhere
09-22-2005, 12:22 AM
I would say, just start by writing short stories. I doubt Timothy Zhan just decided to one day write a SW novel. Before "Heir to the Empire" Timothy Zhan wrote many other Sci-fi novels.

Edit: Oh, and I moved this thread to Coruscant Entertainment Centre (our Fanfic/FanArt forum.
 machievelli
09-22-2005, 12:13 PM
'How did Kathy Tyers and Timothy Zahn get officially
licensed by Lucasfilms to write books based on Star Wars?'
Tysyacha

Getting published is not fun, kid. Remember that before you read anything I write below here. I have been banging my head against the 'getting published' wall for 30 years.

First:
Contact Lucasarts licensing. Since it's their characters, universe, etc, they have to approve it. There are 'unauthorized' works out there, but Lucas and Co tend to come down like the hammer of god on those that do. Plus writing it 'unauthorized' is pretty much a guarantee they will never authorize anything of yours.
Second: Get an agent. I know you're burning to be the next big Star Wars name. But Del Rey/Ballantine will not look at your work if A: you haven't gotten the authorization, and B: have sent it through an agent. This is not new. Every book based on a movie or series of movies has to be authorized because there are a lot of writers who have 'excellent' ideas' that make the franchise owners sick. Send me a personal, and I'll give you a list of storylines Star Trek WON'T accept, and I'm willing to bet Star Wars uses the same ones as no-nos.
The easiest way to trim out a lot of that garbage is to require an agent. An agent expects to make money off your work. He won't submit things they don't want, and won't even give you the time of day if you haven't got something worth selling.
That is where I fumbled the ball on what I have been posting. I forgot that I needed the agent to submit it after Lucasarts told me 'sure, go for it'.

That's the hardest part. Now you just have to prpduce something worth reading
 Jackel
09-22-2005, 5:43 PM
From what I have heard about writing Star Wars novels, you don't such much ask as get a call asking you to write for them. And only published authors with a proven track record are the ones they are interested in hiring to do a novel. Sorry.
 machievelli
09-22-2005, 9:39 PM
That may be so, Jackel, but I merely asked and got a 'sounds good, go ahead'
Besides, not every great author wants to write in a controlled Genre, which things like Star Wars and Star Trek is.
 General Kenobi
09-27-2005, 6:42 PM
BUT as long as you don't make any money off of your project I do know of some companies who do Star Wars stuff. Just look at the movie Star Wars Revelations. Killer fantastic movie totally done OUTSIDE of LucasArts. ;)

I've had friends have several children's books published without an agent through a publishing company. They submitted their work directly to them though. ;)

If your approaching a subject like Star Wars though I'd do like machievelli said up there and strongly consider an agent. ;)

:ben:
General Kenobi
 machievelli
09-27-2005, 8:34 PM
Thanks, General. I have been butting my head against the 'you need an agent' or 'you're brand new, why should we even listen' walls for almost 30 years now. As for Revelations, Originally Lucasarts did want to kill it, from what I have heard, but lost because they aren't making any money on it.
 Sabretooth
10-19-2005, 8:32 AM
Wow. I'm have started a Star Wars novel based on the events that preceded KotOR. I'm gonna look for licensing once it's complete.
 The Doctor
10-19-2005, 9:21 PM
I would say, just start by writing short stories. I doubt Timothy Zhan just decided to one day write a SW novel. Before "Heir to the Empire" Timothy Zhan wrote many other Sci-fi novels.

Edit: Oh, and I moved this thread to Coruscant Entertainment Centre (our Fanfic/FanArt forum.

Even though I din't like post ROTJ stuff, I thinl the Thrawn Trilogy was amazingly written.
 Ztalker
11-04-2005, 10:16 AM
The Thrawn trilogy really gave you the feel of the movies again.
Timothy Zahn wrote them in such way, thay you and your imagination can shape the story, just as with the movies.
Page: 1 of 1