Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Ship explosions?

Page: 1 of 1
 Naja
09-20-2005, 2:45 AM
This is simply what I've observed from what little video footage is available:

When Imperial Star Destroyers are destroyed, we see a breathtakingly gorgeous destruction scene where smaller explosions ripple through the vessel, leading up to a larger explosion, and finally the craft splits in two - gradually, its various severed parts exploding seperately. Melodramatic lyric aside, it's a pretty damned beautiful destruction sequence. Even when ISDs are simply being damaged, they look very detailed, and well, appropriately ****ed-up.

However, I don't see half as much detail in the destruction and damage of any other starship; Rebel or Imperial. Granted, the only real ship we've seen destroyed that wasn't an ISD was a series of Mon Calimari Cruisers, but they simply go out with a very non-chalant BOOM! And that's it! No interesting death sequence for those massive space cruisers! Just as soon as their health bar hits "zero," they suddenly vaporize JUST LIKE THAT.

I am hoping that Petroglyph works on this glaring disparity. Thoughts?
 DarthMaulUK
09-20-2005, 7:07 AM
We've seen Mol Calamaris break apart and this probably works for the larger capitol ships. Plus, most of the footage is alpha still so theres alot of work being done between then and now.

As more news is released about the game, the pressure will mount up as expectations get high. I'm more than sure, Empire At War, will deliver the Star Wars experience we have all been waiting for.

DMUK
 Sithmaster_821
09-20-2005, 11:50 AM
I agree with DMUK. The game is still in the creation process, and things like a crazy detailed death scenes are less important than having the game functioning normally for the press to see. I am sure (if only in the spirit of equity) that the Rebs "big ship" will have an equally cool death scene.
 Naja
09-20-2005, 2:53 PM
I can hope so. Ideally, all ships will have something crazy detailed for their destruction. Is it at all outlandish or improbable to harbor such fantasies? :sweating:
 popcorn2008
09-20-2005, 6:05 PM
In one of the videos they say each capital ship has its own unique destruction sequence, so they are probably still making them. Check out the 40 min or so video and a bit way into that one the guy says that.
 Naja
09-23-2005, 4:04 AM
Well whadya know, you are dead on, sir:

"All of our capital ships have unique destruction states."

Now, granted, the scene in which he said that still had Calimari Cruisers and Correlian Corvettes simply exploding in that non-chalant BOOM! I was talking about, but yeah, now that you mention it, it is probably still being worked on. :vsd:

I hope so, at least. In those scenes, the damage one could see on those Calimaris seemed...lacking, at best.
 FroZticles
09-23-2005, 10:02 AM
I think they have better issues to work out then OMG!!! That ship isn't exploding right.
 Naja
09-23-2005, 2:38 PM
*shrugs* Nothing wrong with perfectionism. Besides, we're all members of an online gaming forum: that says something about each of our propensity to be obsessive-compulsive about something.
 popcorn2008
09-23-2005, 4:22 PM
Personally I agree with Naja, I want to see cool explosions. Not a big simple orange plain explosion. And yeah I did see a lot of examples in that specific video lol. Like a corellian corvette just all of the sudden blowing up into a quick and sudden explosion. Somehow I dont see that really happening to any capital ship... lol
 Jan Gaarni
09-24-2005, 4:12 AM
Well, many of them (in the star destroyers case, several large ones ;) ) are equipped with nuclear fusion powerplants. :D
 lukeiamyourdad
09-24-2005, 10:18 AM
Actually, I agree with Froz. There's more important issues to take care of.
 Jan Gaarni
09-24-2005, 10:38 AM
Yeah, like wrong colors for Imps for one thing. ;)

Seriously though, I have faith that they will do as they have said, which is that each ship has it's own break-apart sequence.
Though, sync-ing better planet destruction would be nice, give it more of a punch to it.
Right now it's like: "Yes, beams are converging, firing on the planet, hit's surface and .... okay, when is it going to expl .... oh, ok, there it goes."
 Jmaster3265
09-24-2005, 10:44 AM
Jeez you guys expect too much of this game, not every game is perfect! This game will have flaws i bet like any other rts or another game for that matter...
 El Sitherino
09-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Jeez you guys expect too much of this game, not every game is perfect! This game will have flaws i bet like any other rts or another game for that matter...
No one is saying it won't have flaws or anything. People are just hoping they don't drop the ball like the past Star Wars RTS' have. I have to echo that sentiment too, however this game is shaping up to be beyond those, even though it's only alpha stage.
 Naja
09-24-2005, 12:20 PM
I simply look at it this way: I'm confident in all the other aspects. Strange as it sounds, my OCD about trivial matters like ship destruction is a testament to my affirmation that the solid core aspects of the game will pan out just fine.

I'm also worried about Death Star planet destruction, too. That stupid "shockwave going through the Death Star" thing has yet to be corrected.
 popcorn2008
09-24-2005, 2:24 PM
Yeah I know! The planet shockwave really needs to be corrected. All they really need to do is either A. Tilt the shockwave so it misses the death star or B. Have the death star futher back.
 Jan Gaarni
09-24-2005, 2:35 PM
Well, to be honest, it looks more like it's going below the Death Star rather than thru it.
 Slave.
10-02-2005, 9:24 PM
The ISD destruction in that video was awesome. I was just wondering if they are going to have multiple destruction sequesnces for the ships, which will depend on which parts of the ship have been attacked, and therefore been damaged, the most. It doesn't phase me either way, and i understand that making 7 or so sequences per ship would be time consuming, considering other important things they could be working on instead, but it would be cool
Page: 1 of 1