Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

MP Hilts and Swords in SP

Page: 1 of 1
 Kain
09-10-2005, 4:39 PM
I got a real cool hilt for MP and I was just wondering if I could transfer it into SP?
 shukrallah
09-10-2005, 8:05 PM
Possibly with some modding, yeah. I think you can edit that into the saber selection menu too.
 Kain
09-10-2005, 8:49 PM
Your not talking my language mang. Theres no lil utility that allows it? I actually have to do it all myself?
 LightNinja
09-10-2005, 8:57 PM
yah you have to do it yourself, a quick way should be to extract the .pk3 and rename the folder and files like a default saber so that it would be replaced by that blade
 Kain
09-10-2005, 9:28 PM
And how would I go about doing that?
 shukrallah
09-10-2005, 9:46 PM
Man, this is requires a slightly technical process. :-\ Light Ninja posted a good way to do that.

Open up your Assets1.pk3 file, browse to the UI Directory and load up Saber.menu

Try to make some sense of the file, I know its tough the first time you look at it.. and the 2nd time... and the 3rd. After a while, however, you start to understand, crap, you can even make your own menus, rearange everything in the JKA system sooner or later by messing with these files. Anyways, you don't care about that, you care about a saber hilt:

I havn't done this before, but I am sure it will work

Check out this peice of code:

itemDef
{
name hiltbut
group none
text @MENUS_HILT1
descText @MENUS_HILT1_DESC
type ITEM_TYPE_MULTI
style WINDOW_STYLE_EMPTY
rect 240 132 160 16
font 4
textscale 1
textalign ITEM_ALIGN_LEFT
textstyle 1
textalignx 0
textaligny 0
forecolor .65 .65 1 1

cvarTest ui_saber_type
hideCvar { "staff" }

cvar "ui_saber"
//FIXME: read these from sabers.cfg + *.sab?
cvarStrList
{
@MENUS_SINGLE_HILT1 "single_1"
@MENUS_SINGLE_HILT2 "single_2"
@MENUS_SINGLE_HILT3 "single_3"
@MENUS_SINGLE_HILT4 "single_4"
@MENUS_SINGLE_HILT5 "single_5"
@MENUS_SINGLE_HILT6 "single_6"
@MENUS_SINGLE_HILT7 "single_7"
@MENUS_SINGLE_HILT8 "single_8"
@MENUS_SINGLE_HILT9 "single_9"
}

visible 1

mouseEnter
{
show hiltbut_glow
}
mouseExit
{
hide hiltbut_glow
}
action
{
play "sound/interface/choose_hilt.wav"
uiScript "saber_hilt"
}
}

Don't pee your pants, lol... you only have to add one line.

Im pretty sure thats what makes the sabers come up in the beginning (when you "make your own saber")

Ok, make sure you have the name of the .SAB file (should be in your hilts .pk3 file)

Where the code says

@MENUS_SINGLE_HILT1 "single_1"
@MENUS_SINGLE_HILT2 "single_2"
@MENUS_SINGLE_HILT3 "single_3"
@MENUS_SINGLE_HILT4 "single_4"
@MENUS_SINGLE_HILT5 "single_5"
@MENUS_SINGLE_HILT6 "single_6"
@MENUS_SINGLE_HILT7 "single_7"
@MENUS_SINGLE_HILT8 "single_8"
@MENUS_SINGLE_HILT9 "single_9"

I think you can add in @MENUS_REFERENCE_NAME "SAB_FILE_NAME_HERE" under them...

Put the file in a NEW PK3... with the same name and extension in a UI directory.

Now, load up Assets0.pk3
Its time to name your SABER Hilt.

Open up STRINGS/ENGLISH/MENUS.STR

Just go all the way to the bottom and add in

REFERENCE REFERENCE_NAME_YOU_TYPED_ABOVE
NOTES "saber hilt name"
LANG_ENGLISH "Any Name you want goes here... EX: NINJA SWORD or DARTH MAUL'S LIGHTSABER"

But make sures its before the line that says "ENDMARKER"

Save that under the same name and directorys in the same PK3 you put the other file (its ok to edit the other one you made)

*Notes: If your really confused, this should clear some stuff up

You open PK3s with a program called WINZIP or PAKSCAPE.
A PK3 is really just a ZIP file called PK3 to trick casual users not to open them, lol.

You can load the other files in NOTEPAD.

As you can see, its not overly complicated, just a bit of text editing... I know that long peice of code is intimidating... but you only have to add ONE line.

Post if you need more help. Just make sure you don't edit the original PK3 files, or you will screw up your game, big time. I think you can just uninstall and reinstall if that happens, but its not worth the trouble.
 Kain
09-10-2005, 10:11 PM
If I hafta reinstall the game after this, I'm gonna kick you in the nuts.

Edit: Okay I found the code and whatnot but I hit a brickwall: The hilt(its actually afull on sword I want)is in a map pk3 and I can't find in. WhattdoIdoIcantfigureitouti'mlostfortheloveofchristhelpmeplease!
 riceplant
09-11-2005, 5:39 AM
Look for the model under models/weapons2, and the saber file will be in ext_data/sabers. And luke, would that be the filename under @MENUS_REFERENCE_NAME, or the name of the saber within the file, because they're not always the same.
 shukrallah
09-11-2005, 1:20 PM
Hmmm... after looking around I think you are right. You have to use the name in the .SAB File too...

For EXAMPLE: SINGLE_1.SAB

single_1
{
name @MENUS_SINGLE_HILT1
saberType SABER_SINGLE
saberModel "models/weapons2/saber_1/saber_1.glm"
soundOn "sound/weapons/saber/saberon.wav"
soundLoop "sound/weapons/saber/saberhum4.wav"
soundOff "sound/weapons/saber/saberoff.wav"
saberLength 40
saberColor random
}

Name is that "@MENUS_REFERENCE_NAME" I was ment. And yeah, look under the directorys riceplant mentioned for the correct files.

If I hafta reinstall the game after this, I'm gonna kick you in the nuts.

You won't have to reinstall as long as you don't change the original pk3 files. In fact, you could probably just copy and paste them from the disk... but whatever. Most programs like PAKSCAPE will ask you if you want to save the changes... and then you click no if its one of the ASSETS PK3 files.
 Kain
09-11-2005, 2:17 PM
Ugh, I can't find the saberfile in the map pk3. When I open it up all I get is

textures
shaders
scripts
music
maps
levelshots
botroutes

It doesn't have a model in any of the subdiretories either >:(

The map is called Twilight Streets and the weapon is -Jade- so if either of you guys happen to know what I'm talking about or have the map or(better yet)know where I can just flat out get the -Jade- that'd be WAY better.
 riceplant
09-12-2005, 11:12 AM
That's weird, It must be there. No offense meant, but you are looking in the right pk3, right?
 shukrallah
09-12-2005, 8:07 PM
EDIT: Yeah, well, I don't think Multiplayer requires a SAB file (could be wrong) however, since there is no MODELS directory, this can't be right. The sword is probably in another PK3.

EDIT2: http://pcgamemods.com/mod/3606.html) is that it? Szico VII doesn't mention a sword... or any -Jade- thing.

I've searched PcGameMods, JK3Files, LucasFiles, and can't find anything. Can you give us a DL link?
 Kain
09-13-2005, 2:23 PM
AH!! It comes with the JA+2.3 mod. I figured it was Twilight Streets because when I deleted that pk3 it disappeared so I just figured that was it. But to be safe, I started JA+ and voila there it was.

Dee dee dee!

The pk3 has it named saber_ElvishDesign
 shukrallah
09-13-2005, 5:38 PM
hmmm... ok, so for your mod to work, you will have to move that sword to the base directory, then follow all the steps above to make another PK3.
Page: 1 of 1