Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Which November release are you looking forward to most?

Page: 1 of 2
 matt--
09-06-2005, 5:05 PM
Which upcoming release are you looking forward to most?

Discuss!
 Jan Gaarni
09-06-2005, 6:05 PM
Hmmm, EaW isn't scheduled for release until early 2006.

Though there is a demo coming out perhaps in that month, I forget right now. Or was it December?

Hmmmmm ..... so, SWG, worst Star Wars game ever, or Battlefront II, a game I thought was fun to play ..... tough choise. :D
 Jeff
09-06-2005, 9:32 PM
I assume EaW means the demo. Well, I am actually looking forward to that demo more than BFII. Though I do plan to get BFII, I just can't wait to play Eaw. It's definately my most anticipated game.
 PoM
09-07-2005, 1:52 AM
Empire at war, Battlefront was kinda meh, and galaxies is kinda meh.
 starmark2k
09-07-2005, 4:03 AM
Empire at war looks like it has the most potential.
 Wraith 8
09-07-2005, 5:04 AM
i disagree with jan. im looking forward for the new SWG expansion
 stingerhs
09-07-2005, 9:28 AM
EaW. :D
 Jan Gaarni
09-07-2005, 9:47 AM
Of course, I'm looking forward to the EaW demo aswell, and the game even more than BFII, I picked BFII because it's the only one of the 2 that actually comes out in November.

And the demo is most likely free anyway so I don't have to choose. ;)
 shukrallah
09-07-2005, 10:31 PM
Well, im not much into Star Wars games anymore, but if I had to pick I would choose EaW... seems better than BattleFront. And is that another Star Wars Galaxies Expansion I see up there?!
 Vibro
09-08-2005, 10:16 AM
Galaxies: Trials of Obi-Wan for me :).
 Alegis
09-08-2005, 12:18 PM
Empire at War. From what most of us expected from the original SWBF release and were presented; not too keen on the sequel.
 Leviathan
09-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Star Wars Battlefront II for me... I'd like to see if some of my ideas will appear in this game... :D
 Kurgan
09-08-2005, 10:23 PM
Previously I wasn't too excited about any of these titles, though I wanted to see if Pandemic could make up for the disappointment that was SWBF. However in the last day or so I've really started to be interested in Empire at War. This game looks like it has a ton of potential, if they can avoid repeating the mistakes of Force Commander... hopefully they've learned their lesson this time!

And, best of all, they're NOT rushing to release it with the ROTS DVD, and in fact the pc demo will come out before the actual game (a rare occurence these days with LA!), so I'm really thinking it could be good.
 shukrallah
09-08-2005, 10:41 PM
Well, they said they were releasing a Battle Front Demo too... remember. It was on the site "Demo Coming Soon!" and then like 3 weeks later that spot mysteriously disapeared. :-\ So yeah, no demo = no buy. Sorry... but thats almost a rule for me and PC games.
 El Sitherino
09-09-2005, 12:28 AM
Empire at War. Something about commanding Imperial forces makes me all jittery.
 Leviathan
09-09-2005, 1:59 PM
Well, they said they were releasing a Battle Front Demo too... remember. It was on the site "Demo Coming Soon!" and then like 3 weeks later that spot mysteriously disapeared. :-\ So yeah, no demo = no buy. Sorry... but thats almost a rule for me and PC games.
You're not wrong... Only the demo of a certain game can provide you a true idea of its potential... Screen-shots or trailers do not suffice... (Remember SWBF's first pictures and movies : They were awesome, but the final version of the game wasn't so good... :mad: )
 Pho3nix
09-10-2005, 3:21 PM
Battlefront II and EaW.
But mostly BFII.
 mr.piercy
09-10-2005, 9:11 PM
i cant wait for both EaW and BFII but i dont have engough money to buy both lol
 Snafu7
09-12-2005, 6:08 PM
they both look great, but I'm mostly looking forward to Battlefront II
 Curt-Man
09-14-2005, 5:26 PM
Battle front 2 for shiz.

I don't get it, alot of people didn't liek the first one, whereas i thought it was the most fantastic thing ever, well not ever but it was still damn good. What didn't people like about it?
 El Sitherino
09-14-2005, 7:07 PM
Gameplay sucked ass. Community was crap.

The game was pretty much flawed out the ass, where as a superior game got no support. RC's still waiting for real patchwork.
 Kurgan
09-14-2005, 9:22 PM
SWBF had a lot of potential. I remember being won over by all the hype and testimonials from people who'd played the Xbox demo. They were trumping it as living the movies, the first good non-Jedi game, etc. After playing the monotonous single player, then trying the horribley executed MP, I just gave up. The community was small, and obsessed with whining about TKing (people didn't work together as a team, and all servers had the same exact settings, preventing you from improving things).

A group of friends had our "last" LAN party for a friend who was moving across the country to a new job, and we gave Battlefront one last shot (I suggested it). We discovered that apparently (at least in 1.2, didn't test the beta) you can't have a team of humans vs. a team of bots. It's literally impossible. The game forces at least one human to be on a team. Since I was really the only one familiar with the game people lost interest rather quickly (though people played the single player version for awhile since it didn't have the framerate cap and no teamwork requirement, etc).

There are still major bugs in the game, the admin/hosting setup is still cumbersome and there is still little variety in the online gameplay options.

The server administration and tools were rather cumbersome compared to what we're used to. The game suffered a lot because it was an obviously rushed console port (rushed to coincide with the similarly rushed Star Wars DVD boxed set). Then it was haphazardly patched and abandoned in light of SWBF2.

The Jedi Heroes, while a cool idea, were flawed in execution and nobody used them online anyway (there was a sizable "anti-jedi" faction on our forums, though apparently Pandemic ignored them and is expanding the role of Jedi in the sequel). The "space combat" was non-existent and flying ships was more of a liability than a benefit. Vehicle combat was actually the most fun part of the game, making the maps without vehicles rather annoying and tedius by comparison. Yet many people complained about the "skillessness" of camping a spawn point by yourself inside a massive tank or walker (though, isn't that a strategic move in a game like this?). The game was advertised as "play any star wars battle, any way you want to." But you were limited in so many ways, and only a few battles were from the movies, and even then they weren't very "accurate" (though when you think about it, before ROTS there weren't that many large scale land battles to re-create). SWBF just failed to deliver, and the things it got right still had problems.

It's possible that Pandemic/LucasArts will right the wrongs and release the game they meant to give us this time around (that is actually the selling point now of SWBF2, according to previews in magazines). I'm hoping they're right. I also hope they'll give a final patch to SWBF1 so the fans won't feel quite so ripped off. Some people love the game no matter what, but then some people loved Jedi Power Battles. There's no accounting for taste. ;P

But then I see what SWBF could have been and it's a great idea. Too bad the execution was sabotaged by various factors.

Republic Commando they took their sweet time with and it shows in the polished feel of single player, but the Multiplayer feels very tacked on. They seemingly just decided to leave it unfinished, so it's very buggy and minimalist. The small community is due to the mismanagement of servers, the lack of info on running one, and the lack of anything but a windows dedicated server model that requires two computers if you want to play on your own server.

RC also feels like a console port in many ways, though I think this hurt the title less than SWBF. It's hard to explain but that's the feeling I get. It also seems to have been abandoned, but with no sequel or expansion on the horizon I think the fans don't have much to hope for.

The fact that EaW is supposed to be "totally fresh" leaves me hopeful. It's not tied to any other release (though being as the only other 3-D star wars RTS it will inevitably be compared to Force Commander, hopefully with the words "and it totally blows away that piece of crap Force Commander".. but it should be a good game in its own right, not just marginally better than that failure!). Likewise the fact that it's set in an indefinate period between movies (the 20 year span between trilogies) they have more freedom to do what they want, while retaining familiar Star Wars conventions. The Episode III hype is over (or at least any final reverberations of it will be by the time the game is released), so they can branch out, and they need not worry about stepping on any "established history."

PS: I'm probably looking like an idiot and lazy for saying this, but I wonder just how "trials of Obi-Wan" will play out? I mean, what do you get to do, be Obi-Wan and run on some training courses that we assume he went through between prequel movies? Is it a Jedi training course? (so is this for the people to buy who weren't lucky enough to be a Jedi before?) I thought SWG was set in the time of the Empire's rule, when Jedi are rare and "hunted" (and people complain that there are too many Jedi already)... but Obi-Wan becomes a Jedi during the Republic... so are we talking time travel here? Just how does this module "work" with the rest of SWG? I can understand how the Jump to Lightspeed would work, they just put the spaces between planets as areas you can travel in real time in vehicles. Rage of the Wookiees I assume just expanded the Wookiee race and missions related to that, say on Kashyyyk... I guess not being a SWG player I miss out on this stuff. But I'm just curious how the Trials of Obi-Wan thing would work. It shoulds like something rather short and individual oriented (rather than community oriented).
 Jan Gaarni
09-15-2005, 3:44 AM
Noone knows what time period SWG is in anymore. :)
 Bastila
09-15-2005, 1:42 PM
Battlefront foe sure
 Curt-Man
09-15-2005, 10:53 PM
Technicalities, i see myself as a laid back gamer, i see a star wars game, i pick it up, i play it, if i get to kill stuff by shooting it in the head with a sniper rifle, pumping it full of blaster shots with a rifle, slicing it to pieces with a saber, or blowing it up with a vehicle i like it :p

And i thought the multiplayer was fantastic.
 Kurgan
09-16-2005, 3:20 PM
Speaking of Demos, did a Star Wars Battlefront Demo EVER come out? The only one I knew about was for the Xbox and you only got it if you bought the Star Wars Trilogy DVD boxed set. Did a PC demo ever get released after all this time?
 Jan Gaarni
09-16-2005, 4:15 PM
I seem to remember it did, but I'm not sure.

I'll see if I can't get off my lazy arse and look thru my (very messy) archive of CD's. :)

EDIT: On second thought, now that I think about it, no, I don't think there was a demo for Battle Front.
 Kurgan
09-16-2005, 8:10 PM
Yeah, 3dgamers.com doesn't have anything about a pc demo and they're usually on the ball about that sort of thing.
 Soogz
09-16-2005, 9:26 PM
Battlefront 2.
 Leviathan
09-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Speaking of Demos, did a Star Wars Battlefront Demo EVER come out? The only one I knew about was for the Xbox and you only got it if you bought the Star Wars Trilogy DVD boxed set. Did a PC demo ever get released after all this time?
You can get a sort of "demo" of SWBF II, on FilePlanet... (But you must be a subscriber to download it... :( )
 Kurgan
09-17-2005, 3:36 PM
A paying subscriber or just somebody with a gamespy account? Does it have playable game content?

Edit: Oh I see, it's a "closed beta" you have to sign up for. Well, any of you that have the ability PLEASE SIGN UP and make useful suggestions and give them feedback. They need all the help they can get with this game, judging by SWBF1! :P

Yup, you have to be a paying member. I logged in and it still sent me to the "subscribe now!" section. So at the bare minimum to be in the closed beta you have to pay:
$6.95 (if you were going to join and then cancel after one month). I suppose if you betaed from now until the game came out that would come to $13.90 plus tax.

PS: Interesting how they claim this is the "Best Selling Star Wars Game of All Time!" with the disclaimer: *Best-selling claim based on total until [sic] sales for all platforms in the first eight (8) months after release as reported by NPD Group.

I wonder if that also includes the dubious numbers they gave out way back when that included sales of the Star Wars DVD Boxed Set for some reason. And while the PC version had superior graphics and potentially more players per game, the console versions apparently were more polished and featured the two player version of the "Galactic Conquest" mode, which was sorely lacking for us poor pc members! I wonder if the same kind of discrepency will appear with SWBF2 between the console and pc versions?
 Jan Gaarni
09-17-2005, 5:56 PM
Hmmm, I think I may be a paying subscriber over there. :)

Downloading now .......
please wait ...............
 Samurai DD
09-18-2005, 12:13 PM
Battlefront II baby!!! Cant wait to keep on fraggin in th SW universe!
 Commander Obi-Wan
09-18-2005, 10:10 PM
Battlefront 2....all the way
 lancelubin44
09-19-2005, 2:21 PM
the one in the dark side is the one only with power
 lancelubin44
09-19-2005, 2:25 PM
Battlefront II baby!!! Cant wait to keep on fraggin in th SW universe!

i could fell the dark side in you boy!!!!!!
lancelubin@hotmail.com
 Leviathan
09-24-2005, 2:32 PM
Hmmm, I think I may be a paying subscriber over there. :)

Downloading now .......
please wait ...............
Is it right ? If it is, then could you post your comments once you'll have installed SWBF II demo, please ? ;)
 Jan Gaarni
09-24-2005, 3:04 PM
My comments are, too laggy.

But then again, servers probably is in the far end of the world in relations to me so. :)

I haven't been able to test it propperly. Could be a good game.
 RaV™
09-24-2005, 6:46 PM
BF2 hands down no competition!
 Leviathan
09-25-2005, 12:32 PM
My comments are, too laggy.

But then again, servers probably is in the far end of the world in relations to me so. :)

I haven't been able to test it propperly. Could be a good game.
Could I ask you some technical questions regarding SWBF II, please ?... (I do not want to get your demo, just very precise answers...)
 Jan Gaarni
09-25-2005, 2:39 PM
Not really, I lag too much to actually play the game propperly, so I have very little answers for you I'm afraid.

But one thing I've noticed is that it seems too fast paced.
 Leviathan
09-26-2005, 1:17 PM
Actually, it isn't a request related to the game itself, but regarding the files contained in its installation folder... In fact, I'd just wish to know what *.LVL files are present in this directory... I hope you'll be able to help me... Thanks !... ;)
 idle
10-03-2005, 1:47 AM
I voted BF:II but Empire at War looks as if it'll be a great game. I'm looking forward to both equally.
 darthkangaroo
10-06-2005, 6:34 AM
BATTLEFRONT II Duh
 Crow_Nest
10-20-2005, 9:25 AM
Battlefront II! I played the Xbox demo at my friend's house, and its awesome! Cant wait for release!
 SweatyPyro
10-22-2005, 7:30 PM
I would get EaW, but honestly.....Space Action......its a definite for SWBF2.
 Slave.
10-27-2005, 6:35 AM
EaW

Looking forward to SWBF II though
 Darth Chaos
10-29-2005, 4:33 AM
I'm looking forward to trials of obi-wan
 Darth Chaos
10-29-2005, 4:42 AM
how do i change my picture
 Samurai DD
10-29-2005, 7:29 PM
I voted KOTOR III as noted in an earlier post, but now that Ive played BF II demo, I gotta say, I think Im equally hyped... man, BF II is gonna be so AWESOME!!!
Page: 1 of 2