Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Will you be able to ban cd key's???

Page: 1 of 1
 Toonboy
08-23-2005, 3:42 PM
A question/suggestion for multiplayer, the ablity to ban (ignore in BG) CD keys vs log on id's. A problem that plagued SWGB/CC was that you could never really ban ppl that you had problems with from your games, as they could simply log on with a different id. I would like to see this feature in SW EaW. What do you think???
 general ackbar
08-23-2005, 4:34 PM
i think it would be a great idea. anything to keep cheaters out of MP would be fantastic.
 starmark2k
08-24-2005, 4:13 AM
They could just make it so the Host can control every aspect of the game to prevent cheating
 jokemaster
08-24-2005, 12:35 PM
But what happens when someone buys that same game when the cheater gets rid of it and finds out that his CD key is banned on half the servers?
 Darth Alec
08-24-2005, 3:16 PM
Then he has a serios problem.
 Jan Gaarni
08-24-2005, 5:09 PM
But what happens when someone buys that same game when the cheater gets rid of it and finds out that his CD key is banned on half the servers?
That's his problem. :)

Buy it from the store and you have some more guarantees.

Buy it second hand, and you don't have much guarantee for it. :p
 Toonboy
08-24-2005, 8:57 PM
I doubt that cd duplication via second hand games will be much of a problem. I'm sure that whatever server is running the multiplayer aspect can unban players providing the provide proof of purchase (that its was purchased second hand). But like I said this will be a very small portion the the gaming community.

Are you planning on waiting 6-7 months to purchase EaW jokemaster???
 jokemaster
08-24-2005, 10:08 PM
No, it just popped into my head and I decided to post it. I always buy Star Wars RTS on the first day, did it with Rebellion, and did it with GB*

*Reason I don't mention Force Commander is because of the mental horrors and regret it caused me
 Jan Gaarni
08-25-2005, 2:30 AM
Force Commander wasn't that bad.

It had an awkward camera, and the prestige system got somewhat in the way most of the time. :D

But overall it was an OK game.
 popcorn2008
08-27-2005, 3:17 PM
But if you could ban CD keys, then what is the point of having them? Because then you would first have to have everyones key public, so if someone wanted a copy of EaW they could simply borrow a friends CD and enter a key they saw online. Maybe they wouldnt be able to use the online part, but they would still have the offline game set.

But I do agree that it was too easy for people to create multiple log ins with westwood online.

What they should do is you make a master ID and then from it sub IDs. So if say, you ban a sub ID of that user it automatically bans all there IDs. You would have to make it so you can only get one master ID, the way to do that is make the user enter his/her CD key when making an account, so it can verify you dont already have a master ID. Sure the idea isnt full proof but i think it would work.
 Toonboy
08-28-2005, 7:29 PM
Actually you wouldn't have to have the CD keys public, just have a button on the multiplayer set up that Say's "Ban". Your comp keeps track of it somewhere in an encripted file. I have several other games where this is a feature.

As for the copying issue, thats ever present in the video gaming industry. The point of a CD key is; Servers at Gamespy or the zone or whatever, can keep track of who is using who's game. You and your buddy can use the same one online.
Page: 1 of 1