Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Announcement: Official EaW Q&A with Lucasarts

Page: 1 of 1
 DarthMaulUK
08-18-2005, 6:49 AM
Empireatwar.net are proud to announce the first Official Q&A about Empire At War with Lucasarts and also the new Producer for the game. In our normal way, we are giving you the chance to ask your questions. The best ones will be selected.

Please put some thought into it. The Q&A will be posted on our website together with EXCLUSIVE SCREENSHOTS and of course, the new look launch shortly

DMUK
 FroZticles
08-18-2005, 9:01 AM
With other major companies with high profile RTS games coming in the near future how will Empire at War be different from them? What will make people come and buy Empire at War and not another RTS title?
 Darth Andrew
08-18-2005, 11:03 AM
Will the player be able to name individual units, such as a Star Destroyer or a Rebel soldier squad?

How will hyperspace lanes work?

Will there be a population limit?
 BeBop
08-18-2005, 1:07 PM
I'd kind of like to expand on Darth Andrew's question of Hyperspace lanes:

Are fleets restricted to using hyperspace lanes, or can they position themselves off in "free space" with a cost of speed.

So far the battle camera (the one that follows various units around the battlefield) seems random. Will there be anyway to have a little more control over it?

We know that there is enviorment interaction in space combat. (i.e. asteroids and the like) What kind and how much, if any, interaction with the enviorment will there be on the surface of planets?

Can you blockade a planet without attacking the surface?

As far as the campaign map works, is there a capital for your faction?

And the one question that will inevitiably be asked: Screenshots indicate the Death Star can be attacked, how will this work? Are you allowed to have direct control over the units? Or is it more of a cinematic and more or less based on chance?
 Darth Tyrant
08-18-2005, 3:50 PM
Is the Super Star Destroyer going to be in star wars empire at war?, Also are there going to be more heros like Thrawn, daala, Tarkin and other types of tie fighters like the tie defender?
 popcorn2008
08-18-2005, 8:14 PM
Will the Planet Korriban be featured in empire at war?

Will the TIE Defender be in Empire at war?

And how far in technological advancments will you be able to go up to?

Is there going to be a time frame in the game (i.e. Day 1)?3

thanks,
Nate
 mencor
08-19-2005, 4:36 AM
a question ive come a cross a couple of times is:

will the Death Star be able to target capital ships, with its superlaser and/or turbolasers.
 popcorn2008
08-19-2005, 8:28 PM
I just thought of a good question today,

Will you be able to record games you play, so you can replay them?
 starmark2k
08-20-2005, 4:11 AM
These questions are proberly the most basic which most people want to know

How many planets/systems will we be able to attack and are they all named from the Star Wars films and EU?

How many units will there be in the game?

Will we be able to capture enemy units? i.e can we board an enemy star destroyer?

Will all planets have set maps or is there a random map generator (for both SP and MP)?

and if they answer yes to set maps, How many will there be?
 Darth Windu
08-21-2005, 12:24 AM
Why were the Galactic Republic and Confederacy not included in Empire at War? As the current is on the Prequels and the end of the Clone Wars / Beginning of the Empire, are there any plans for an expansion to include these other two factions?
 lonepadawan
08-21-2005, 8:24 AM
How did I guess he was going to ask that? :¬:

My question is:

How will shield generators (on the ground) behave? Will they be realistic or the same way previous SW RTS have done it..
 BeBop
08-21-2005, 11:52 AM
Why were the Galactic Republic and Confederacy not included in Empire at War? As the current is on the Prequels and the end of the Clone Wars / Beginning of the Empire, are there any plans for an expansion to include these other two factions?

I'm betting that if this question was selected, they will give a very generic answer or something that really doesn't explain why like; "We thought that the original trilogy hasn't had enough focus in games blah blah blah"
 FroZticles
08-21-2005, 1:59 PM
It won't be selected because its about the current game now and not a future expansion or what Windu thinks they should have put into the game.
 Jan Gaarni
08-21-2005, 5:41 PM
Will all planets have set maps or is there a random map generator (for both SP and MP)?

and if they answer yes to set maps, How many will there be?
I think this one will be unneccessary to ask, since if you want a base on the planet, you will need to build them when there is no combat going on. That means I guess static maps.

This is not going to be C&C style RTS, but more similar to Rebellion RTS, where with alot of deadtime where building structures, ships, and training troops will take up most of your time, aswell as moving them around in the galaxy.
 starmark2k
08-22-2005, 7:57 AM
@ DarthMaulUK: When Is this interview actually going to happen?

@ Jan Gaarni: Although this guess is educated I think this one will be unneccessary to ask, since if you want a base on the planet, you will need to build them when there is no combat going on. That means I guess static maps.
it is still a Guess, Also you may notice that my question refers to multiplayer games as well and you appear to be looking at it from a purely campaign POV.

Anyway back on topic i have another Question.
Will there be Native units or planet specific units. For example if you go to Tatooine will you get units that ride Dewbacks that you can't use where dewbacks are not native Or if you go to Endor will the Ewoks Attack the empire as either an AI empire or under the Rebel players control?
 Jan Gaarni
08-22-2005, 12:51 PM
Yeah, doesn't hurt to ask it I suppose. :)
I'm sure DMUK will include it anyway.

It's nice to get a definate answer.

I'm just saying. ;)
 Nevets1112
08-22-2005, 1:02 PM
Since Luke will need to be trained to jedi by most likely Obi-Wan or Yoda, will it also be possible to train other force sensitives such as Leia or Kyle Katarn in the ways of the Jedi?

As Mara Jade and Kyle Katarn being pretty much confirmed heros, they both often find themselves switching between Light and Darkside, so will it be possible to have Mara come to the light side or Katarn to the dark? Same question for Luke Skywalker?

What Star Wars music do you have planned to be prominent in the game?
 BeBop
08-22-2005, 4:08 PM
Since Luke will need to be trained to jedi by most likely Obi-Wan or Yoda, will it also be possible to train other force sensitives such as Leia or Kyle Katarn in the ways of the Jedi?

As Mara Jade and Kyle Katarn being pretty much confirmed heros, they both often find themselves switching between Light and Darkside, so will it be possible to have Mara come to the light side or Katarn to the dark? Same question for Luke Skywalker?

:confused: ...........

Ummm.... ....yeah. What are you talking about? When have Kyle and Mara ever been mentioned......
 Nevets1112
08-22-2005, 4:29 PM
:confused: ...........

Ummm.... ....yeah. What are you talking about? When have Kyle and Mara ever been mentioned......

at the liepzig game convention this past weekend. There are now pics of Kyle up (including han and chewie) and some other heros were mentioned, including Boba (Who's Slave 1 apears in pictures), Mara Jade, and Veers.
 starmark2k
08-23-2005, 6:38 AM
at the liepzig game convention this past weekend. There are now pics of Kyle up (including han and chewie) and some other heros were mentioned, including Boba (Who's Slave 1 apears in pictures), Mara Jade, and Veers.

This sounds cool.
Do you have a link to these pics.
 DarthMaulUK
08-23-2005, 6:56 AM
uploading the new site now with these pics.

DMUK
 Nevets1112
08-23-2005, 11:43 AM
 starmark2k
08-23-2005, 12:38 PM
Thanks Nevets1112 these pics are really cool, and i like that the've included Han and Chewy as a single unit.

I also find it funny that you get the photographers reflextion in every one.
 Admiral Sith
08-23-2005, 4:18 PM
How will shield generators (on the ground) behave? Will they be realistic or the same way previous SW RTS have done it..

The've already shown this, They are realsitic nothing can get inside the shield, but the shield generator must be placed outside the shield radius leaving it vurnerable.
 Jan Gaarni
08-23-2005, 5:44 PM
The've already shown this, They are realsitic nothing can get inside the shield, but the shield generator must be placed outside the shield radius leaving it vurnerable.
Huh?

Could you explain that one, it didn't make any sense to me.
 general ackbar
08-23-2005, 5:51 PM
1.)Are B-Wings going to be added or are they currently in the game?

2.) how many units (air and or ground) can be displayed on the screen at once? how are population limits (max units) going to be handled?
 SSDKiller
08-25-2005, 7:01 PM
how will the shields work will thay be a bubble around the ship or will thay be liek a second skin on the ship, or will thay a bar that displays its strenth
:vsd::blaze6:
 starmark2k
08-26-2005, 8:34 AM
Will the Galaxy map be turn based or real time?
 StealthWar42
08-26-2005, 10:01 PM
I have a few

Also on the Galaxy map note, will we be able to freely travel across the galaxy to deep space sectors (ala "Twilight Imperium Third Edition?") or are we restricted to hyperspace routes? Strategically speaking, I think it would be awesome if we could free-form travel across the galaxy but have it be much much longer compared to hyperspace routes.

How will Ion Cannons work? Will they kind of work like "deep space cannons" where you can fire at ships in other systems (yeah, I play too much TI3 if you've heard of it you know what i'm talking about)?

Seems kind of powerful of the Empire to have a death star and be able to construct it. How is this going to be balanced for the Rebellion? Will computer enemies use the death star to destroy planets?

How will time be kept track of on the galaxy map? Is it going to be a lot like the R:TW style of keeping track of time?

Planets: are all planets the same map? Similar to previous questions, but a twist: when we land on a planet, are we going to be able to move forces around on the planet and attacking cities or enemy armies much like a R:TW style?

Does fighting for a planet only take one battle or does it take a series of battles?

Are the battle objectives pre-determined by the computer or do we get to choose what objectives we do?

Will we be able to play without or disable heroes if we want to?

Modding: will it be set up that we could possibly add entire factions/races to the game and set up a new galaxy map?
 popcorn2008
08-27-2005, 2:20 PM
I thought up a few questions,

Any plans for an expansion pack, possibly one that adds more planets, units, heros, etc.? (I know a little early to think that far, but im too excited lol)

Will there be cloaking technology? (I.E. Invisible ships, like those in the novel Heir To The Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command)

Can hero's betray there side, and turn to the other? (like vader turning good, or luke turning evil)

Is it going to be possible for Luke to be seduced to the dark side? (that would be so cool)

Will there be modding (editing the game) capability?

Any system requirments available at this time? (Im not sure if they already released them i dont think so....)

Keep up the awesome work!!!!
-Nate
 popcorn2008
09-05-2005, 5:05 PM
When is the Q&A going to take place? I cant find out the date anywhere. Sorry for going a little off topic.
 cardif
09-05-2005, 5:35 PM
Could you please give some detailed information about the multiplayer part? "conquest" (1on1) and skirmish mode (max 8) have been implemented as far as i know. how long will "standard" multiplayer matches in both modes last? are "space/ground-only battles" planned? do you plan to use the msn gaming zone?
any further info would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

---
Feel free to correct grammatical mistakes or typos ;)
also forgive me if there was already a question like that.
 Nevets1112
09-06-2005, 4:57 PM
So do we get to pick which ones are the best, or do you pick? :spin:
 Jan Gaarni
09-06-2005, 5:46 PM
He picks.
 DarthMaulUK
09-06-2005, 5:57 PM
The Q&A will be submitted this week but Im waiting to confirm 'something else' I have up my sleeve to bring to you guys.

DMUK
 popcorn2008
09-06-2005, 6:03 PM
Sounds good! I've been addicted to these forums lol it will be fun to see what features are revealed and when down the road.
 StealthWar42
09-06-2005, 10:37 PM
Ooo! Can't wait to have the surprise!
 Nevets1112
09-06-2005, 11:22 PM
yep, sounds good!
 Nevets1112
09-07-2005, 4:35 PM
Not sure if it is too late, but:

- What is the deal with the rancor on non-native Tatooine and Naboo, when its native planet in Dathomir? And will native creatures play a role in the game such as the krayt dragon on tatooine or the wampa ice creature on Hoth?

- Once the Rebellion is crushed or the Empire is toppled will you be able to rule over your galaxy or will that be it, game over and back to start menu?
 Jan Gaarni
09-08-2005, 2:13 AM
Well, Rancors are native to more planets than Dathomir, but you are right about them not being native to Naboo and Tatooine. :)
 popcorn2008
09-08-2005, 5:29 PM
You know if you ask lucas arts about the ranchors you will get something like this:

Ranchors are throughout the galaxy because back when.... blah blah

Get my point? lol
 Jan Gaarni
09-09-2005, 5:42 AM
heh, yeah, I get you. :)

Meh, who cares too much anyway, it's just a game, it's Star Wars info importance comes far down on the list. :)
 Nevets1112
09-09-2005, 9:25 AM
heh, yeah, I get you. :)

Meh, who cares too much anyway, it's just a game, it's Star Wars info importance comes far down on the list. :)

but it is a star wars game, so star wars info should play a significat role in the game. I don't want to see the Rebels flying the Enterprise or anything lol.
Page: 1 of 1