Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Microsoft sets price for Xbox 360

Page: 1 of 1
 ChAiNz.2da
08-17-2005, 2:05 PM
It's Official... and it's got optional pricing ;) hehehe...

http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/17/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm?cnn=yes)
 witchfinder
08-17-2005, 2:44 PM
God dammit! I have to pay for a hard drive now? :mad2:
 TheOssusKeeper
08-19-2005, 1:36 AM
I heard that they were selling for $399 US... PS3 will probably go for about the same...
 stingerhs
08-19-2005, 8:04 AM
an extra hundred to lose the cord on the controller, a TV remote, and a 20GB HD??? what a rip-off.

will it sell? oh yeah. will i buy it? not anymore. i was planning on giving it a shot, but not now. Microsoft completely lost me with that one. :mad:
 ChAiNz.2da
08-19-2005, 8:16 AM
Yeah, I was almost set to "give in" and buy a console just for giggles.. but I'm now swayed against one again. But who knows... I'm 'quirky' to say the least hehehe...

Here's Xbox's Official Announcement on the pricing (from their site) which basically just adds more 'fluff' words to tempt the consumer ;)

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/news/2005/0817-xbox360launchdetails.htm)
 witchfinder
08-19-2005, 8:32 AM
Well for people in the UK the "deluxe" package will sell for less on launch day than the original Xbox did. Still too expensive for me though. I'll definitely wait a long while before I buy a 360.
 stingerhs
08-19-2005, 8:45 AM
'hundreds of dollars worth of extras'??? oh yeah, i forgot: when you own the hardware, you get to set the prices. lets do some pricework, shalll we??

$99 for the 20GB HD
$20 to make the controller wireless
$29 for the TV remote
$19 for the XBox Live headset
--------
$167 is the final price. so, i guess since its 'hundreds of dollars worth of extras', my guess is that the piece of plastic (aka, the faceplate) has a pricetag of at least $33 since 'hundreds' implies at least two hundred dollars.

like i said: its a ripoff. and if you'd like me to do some comparisons to current items that you can find at a Walmart or Best Buy, i'd be more than happy to oblige you.
 Flamingninja
08-19-2005, 9:10 AM
Gah, why is everything so expensive?!
 Prime
08-19-2005, 12:43 PM
This thing really doesn't sound that appealing...
 ChAiNz.2da
08-19-2005, 12:46 PM
This thing really doesn't sound that appealing...
gotta agree with you there, especially after the price announcement...

I'm still interested in the PS3.. or perhaps even the Revolution now with the discussion about it in the Swamp...

I'd like to see some hardcore test results or reviews though.. ;)
 Darth Moeller
08-19-2005, 1:00 PM
I'm losing interest in getting the new xbox now... My xbox still has 50,000+ blocks of memory (the amount it came with 3 years ago) and I have never used a memory card, and now I will have to pay for a HD or buy memory cards? This is not good.
 TheOssusKeeper
08-19-2005, 10:37 PM
i was never really interested in the xbox 360, but after i heard the pricing for it on CNN (TV), i was even less interested (hehehe)... I am however interested in the PS3, i read the specs, sounds really cool... I am waiting for the official pricing for it, but i suspect that they will go for about the same as the xbox, roughly $399...
 lukeiamyourdad
08-19-2005, 10:57 PM
The PS3 could be more expensive then the 360.

Still, I don't know anyone who would buy the "core sustem". It just sounds stupid.
 Flamingninja
08-20-2005, 9:28 AM
Well, you can turn the 360 off with the controller, i'm lazy like that.
 Lettuce
08-20-2005, 10:33 AM
I might just get the $399 system when it gets realeased but that all depends on how much I'm going to spend upgrading my pc.
 The Source
08-20-2005, 12:11 PM
I just heard that the games will be $60 each.

$299.00 (For Standard XBox 360)
$399.00 (For Extended Version of XBox 360)
$60.00 (For Games)

After three or four years, the prices will start to drop. I just heard a buisness report, which Microsoft decided to not make the XBox 360 backwards compatible. I bought my XBox when it hit $150, for I thought that is all it is worth. I don't think playing games is worth $400.00. I rather stick with my computer. I think computer games will make a come back, for people will be declined to purchase the 360. However, there are going to be those people who will buy it on first run. There was a consumer report about the gamming companies not being ready for such a big jump. Since the original XBox never had games, which utilized all the power and specs, game companies are too far behind. I have never played a Playstation, so I don't know if it is good or not.

Like 'Empire at War', where the specs are rediculous, I think people will buy them. However, not too many people will. Plus, when Playstation came on the scene, the company lost revenue, for there were not too many publishers ready. I think Playstation and PC will own the market. Unfortunate.... Thank god for computers...

For me a 20GB hardrive is useless. Since my computer came with a 160GB drive, I will be all set for some time.

After just reading that CNN report, I have some itresting questions:
1. What if they release a game that utilizes the specs of the advanced version of 360?
2. Would we have to upgrade the 360 from standard, so we will be compatible for all games?
3. Will this game system cost more that what it is worth?

By the way you can't buy a 20GB Hardrive at Best Buy, but from a small company you can buy it for $20. Therefore, the XBox 360 is way over priced.. You can also buy a computer for $300 with the same specs...
 lukeiamyourdad
08-20-2005, 2:37 PM
I rather stick with my computer. I think computer games will make a come back, for people will be declined to purchase the 360. However, there are going to be those people who will buy it on first run.

It's part of the cycle but don't think that computer gaming will make a come back until at the least 2008.

Like 'Empire at War', where the specs are rediculous,

Because you do have the system specs? I know RTS are ressource whores but you can't make such an assumption yet.

I think people will buy them. However, not too many people will.

Huh?

Plus, when Playstation came on the scene, the company lost revenue, for there were not too many publishers ready. I think Playstation and PC will own the market. Unfortunate.... Thank god for computers...

PC doesn't own the market. PC is smaller then the X Box, Playsation 2 and GCN.
Right last year, console game sales we're about $5 billion while PC gaming only got $1 Billion.
See the difference? PC gaming is very expensive unlike console gaming. Consoles also much easier to access. It's simple plug&play.

For me a 20GB hardrive is useless. Since my computer came with a 160GB drive, I will be all set for some time.

That's because a computer has more then just a few MP3s and save files for games. I'll dare you to fill up a 20 GB hard drive for a console.

After just reading that CNN report, I have some itresting questions:
1. What if they release a game that utilizes the specs of the advanced version of 360?

They have the same specs outside of the hard drive.

2. Would we have to upgrade the 360 from standard, so we will be compatible for all games?

Why? The Core system is the same.

3. Will this game system cost more that what it is worth?

Yes.

By the way you can't buy a 20GB Hardrive at Best Buy, but from a small company you can buy it for $20. Therefore, the XBox 360 is way over priced.. You can also buy a computer for $300 with the same specs...

No, you can't. A 300$ computer wouldn't even be able to run Half Life 2 at minimum settings.
And try to buy a regular hard drive at Best Buy and plug it into your X Box 360.
 Snafu7
08-20-2005, 3:47 PM
Right now Im convinced that everyone working on the Xbox360 must be high off their a**es right now, charging people for the HD, and scapping the backwards compatability is one of the stupidest things that they could've done. But I'll probably just stick with using my PC, the only reason I was even going to bother with the 360 was Halo3, so as long as they make a PC version it's no big loss to me i guess.
 stingerhs
08-21-2005, 12:55 AM
That's because a computer has more then just a few MP3s and save files for games. I'll dare you to fill up a 20 GB hard drive for a console.
i think the biggest point, though, is that HD technology is pretty darn cheap these days. charging people $99 dollars for a HD is a really hefty fee. sure, you may not fill it up with nothing but game saves and a couple of MP3's, but charging somebody $99 for something that probably only costs around $30 to make is just a tad ridiculous.
 lukeiamyourdad
08-21-2005, 10:12 AM
Well, an external HD costs a little more then a regular HD. This one is obviously able to be transported easily. It is overpriced, I don't say it isn't, but it's exclusive for an XBox.

Besides, how much are memory cards? 39.99$ for 64mb? I'd save up and take the HD anyday over that.
 Venom750
08-21-2005, 3:19 PM
Well i'm going to grow a money tree and buy one:)
 Lightsider
08-21-2005, 4:28 PM
Well the 360 399.00 package is the better deal if you add up the prices for the cheaper system, but the PS3 has better performance numbers than the 360. I have all three systems now, will never buy a nintendo again but will probably get both the 360 and the PS3.
 Bastila
09-01-2005, 8:22 AM
Over hear its Ј250 on pre order cheap i think well not that cheap but i wont rush out and get one i can wait like i waited when the first X-box can out.
 Darth Soogz
09-01-2005, 9:29 AM
Yeah, you can get the one with the harddrive. It only costs like 100 bucks more. (sarcastically speaking.)
 Vibro
09-01-2005, 9:51 AM
The price is a little steep but I'll still be getting it.
 Darth Soogz
09-01-2005, 10:13 AM
Yeah, true dat.
 Hallucination
09-01-2005, 3:16 PM
Damn, no reverse compatible. And its coming out in the holiday season, so they aren't changing it any time soon. I think I'll get a revolution (or start one) for Super Smash bros whatever word they wanna throw in there (it'll be equal to Halo3 in fun probably, and its family friendly).
 jmac7142
09-01-2005, 8:20 PM
They're dropping the price before it comes out, a "release-day discount", it makes sense from a business perspective, whereas a system that expensive that is manufactured for far less doesn't, especially because it's not used for anything but games and people won't buy a $400 dollar system for games when the economy is down in most of the world. So I say don't worry, you'll probably be able to get one in a package with an HD for like $299, the price the original XBox and PS2 were at when they came out. And games will only be $60 for a while, being as it's using a new CD format, besides, it's only $10 extra than a new game now.
 lukeiamyourdad
09-01-2005, 9:21 PM
it's only $10 extra than a new game now.

Only?
You do realize that if someone's gaming budget is say 6 games per year while it was at 50$, they'll have to lower it down to 5 games per year if it climbs to 60$?
Not everyone is rich.
 Bastila
09-02-2005, 4:57 AM
Damn, no reverse compatible.

So it can't play normal X-box games then only 360 games?
 stingerhs
09-02-2005, 9:29 AM
actually, if you have the HD, the 360 is backward compatible. apparently, the 360 would make use of an emulator program loaded onto the HD that you'd be able to use.
 witchfinder
09-02-2005, 9:50 AM
Yeah, but I heard it was only for certain titles.
 jmac7142
09-02-2005, 6:23 PM
Only?
You do realize that if someone's gaming budget is say 6 games per year while it was at 50$, they'll have to lower it down to 5 games per year if it climbs to 60$?
Not everyone is rich.

I don't buy too many games, so I wasn't thinking about that many games per year, but if you buy less games (like me), it's not that big of a deal. One game usually isn't a huge deal anyways, in my opinion games have been going downhill quality-wise.
 lukeiamyourdad
09-03-2005, 1:15 AM
I don't buy too many games, so I wasn't thinking about that many games per year, but if you buy less games (like me), it's not that big of a deal.

Oh it still is. If I can save 30$ on something, I'll do it. Now, we'd lose a certain amount of money compared to what we usually had.

One game usually isn't a huge deal anyways,

No, but it's still a costly hobby (well, which isn't?) and a price hike never is welcomed, especially when:

in my opinion games have been going downhill quality-wise.

Which is irrelevant to the matter at hand, unless you do not welcome a price hike.
 joshua05
10-28-2005, 8:03 AM
It's part of the cycle but don't think that computer gaming will make a come back until at the least 2008.

((read yellow portion))

I agree with you there...I mean, I've had my Xbox for a year (roughly), and it still says that I have 500+ blocks.

I mean, it has not gone below 500

--Although...I have a habit, of deleting my old saves (hehe heh)
Although..I do have ABOUT 4000 blocks worth of Tracks (music) ripped onto my Hard drive (don't worry~~it's from CD's that I own...or that my Dad owns!)
 The Doctor
10-29-2005, 11:58 PM
Anybosy who pays that much money for a console needs to get their head examined. And I thought the first Xbox was expensive when my bro bought it...
Page: 1 of 1