Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Atton/Mira Clothing Replacments

Page: 1 of 1
 Jolly Boots
08-16-2005, 5:46 PM
Continuing from the previous thread...

If you did make the jacket models unique items what would you use for their normal clothing?
The new models without them. Let me try to explain, delete (or just remove that the clothing that says "...jacket" from when they join your party and replace it with the new "armor")

One more thing, we modders do these things in our free time... this aint a service where you request something and in 24-48 we send you the finished product.
Yeah...I know. Thats why I waited two or so weeks before I brought it back up.

And besides, I don't have to explain why your idea can't be done. I'm not required to explain myself to you. I've been modding these games since February 04, and I know my stuff. Especially since your request involves modelling. And I'm telling you, if you remove the jacket for the default clothes, it will be removed for the special jackets as well.
I never said you had to. You could have stopped talking about it a long time ago and I wouldn't make a peep.

Besides, since both characters come with their special suit, clothing isn't something you EVER need to equip on them anyway.
I know. But you have nit-pickers like myself that thought it was kinda dumb that Obsidian had a seperate piece of clothing like that and would like it to be more accurate.
 Emperor Devon
08-16-2005, 7:05 PM
This is what you can dor for the mod:

Replace the armored flight suit model (or some other model) with Atton's jacket. Replace the Atton's jacket model with the default clothing. Make an item that uses the armored flight suit model. Voila. Atton will now have default clothing, and his jacket will be uinque. The only side effect is how the armored flight suit will now look like Atton's jacket. If you don't like that, there's a mod which gives the main character Atton's jacket.

If you don't like that? Too bad. We modders do this stuff during our free time, as a hobby. It was completely optional for me to give up a minute or two of my life explaining what you could do. If you've requested this multiple times and no one's done it, then I doubt anyone will. To be frank, not many requests are turned into mods. I've been here for slightly less than a year, and in that time I've only seen a couple - out of hundreds of mod requests turned into mods.
 Mono_Giganto
08-16-2005, 8:03 PM
And we're not mean people, modders I mean. If we see a feasible request, we do it. But so many requests are simply repeated or request things that can't be done.

"Can someone makes Revan's cape non-starchy?"

"Can someone make it so I can have 9 party members with me at all times?"

Here's a funny one a buddy provided:

"i want a lightsaber that can shoot knives, please PM me when its done kthnxbye"

I don't mind replying to people requests when they're new, but some of this is common sense. People should do a bit of reading before they make their requests, to get an idea of what can and cannot be done. It's common sense, I'll use the Revan cape as an example. This is such a universally wanted mod, that if it was possible, don't you think someone would have done it already?

As for telling me that I "had to," you replied to my explanation saying "you still haven't explained why my idea can't be done" which is a bit pushy IMO. What I guess I should say, is it can't be done well. For one, the shirt would have to be remodelled from scratch, as there's not shirt mesh beneath the jacket, if you remove it you won't have a shirt, you'll have holes in Atton's body where the jacket used to be. Body models are such a tricky thing. There's only two people who come here regularly that I know of who are experienced enough to remodel and keep the anims in the new shirt, and neither one of them would have the time to do this. One of them doesn't even look at the request thread/now-sub-forum. The repeat requests like the ones I've mentioned annoy him much more than they annoy me. Let alone Atton AND Mira. Then you need to find an appropriate baseitem for the new jacket, since the Kotor rule is One Baseitem = One Model. For armor anyway. The best choice for Atton would probably be the Dancer outfit, as it has the same base stats as clothing. (Nothing at all.) And there's not really anything for Atton there. As far as Mira is concerned, being female, she has NO extra columns in appearance.2da, so you'd have to replace something.

It's a shame D333 locked the thread when she did, I was editing my post, and I had a really funny mock-up of a forum rule involved too. :p
 Jolly Boots
08-16-2005, 9:39 PM
If you don't like that? Too bad. We modders do this stuff during our free time, as a hobby. It was completely optional for me to give up a minute or two of my life explaining what you could do. If you've requested this multiple times and no one's done it, then I doubt anyone will. To be frank, not many requests are turned into mods. I've been here for slightly less than a year, and in that time I've only seen a couple - out of hundreds of mod requests turned into mods.
I'm trying to explain it. I'm not being an idiot and saying "why aren't you doing this?" Yatta, yatta, yatta...
And we're not mean people, modders I mean
I can hold nothing aganist modders for making games have so much replayable and enjoyable (despite the games...flaws...)
As for telling me that I "had to," you replied to my explanation saying "you still haven't explained why my idea can't be done" which is a bit pushy IMO.
And for that, I apologize.
For one, the shirt would have to be remodelled from scratch, as there's not shirt mesh beneath the jacket, if you remove it you won't have a shirt, you'll have holes in Atton's body where the jacket used to be. Body models are such a tricky thing. There's only two people who come here regularly that I know of who are experienced enough to remodel and keep the anims in the new shirt, and neither one of them would have the time to do this. One of them doesn't even look at the request thread/now-sub-forum.
Thats what I'm trying to work on right now. I can almost get it but there are a few things that are bugging me and svoshes tutorial really didn't do that great of job explaining it. (something weird with the file types; probably I'm not extracting them correcting witht the KOTOR Tool)
The best choice for Atton would probably be the Dancer outfit, as it has the same base stats as clothing. (Nothing at all.) And there's not really anything for Atton there. As far as Mira is concerned, being female, she has NO extra columns in appearance.2da, so you'd have to replace something.
Well, if the item cannot be added, then simply replace a useless item (some light armor) and isn't it possible to change stats and description with the GFF editor? Sure, you would need to go through the game files (alot of them which would be the very tedious task but simple) and see what characters/containers need that specific item(s) removed (such as removing the second set of clothing that they get when they join so it basically becomes obsolete) but even I can handle that.
 Mono_Giganto
08-17-2005, 1:17 PM
Yes, you can change stats and description, the problem is the model. You can't replace a single light armor, you'd have to replace ALL of them. That's why Devon suggested the armored flight suit, because there's only like two armors ingame that use that model, so it that minimum effect. Making the new item is easy, I cuold do it in less time than I'm taking to post right now, but making the jacket-less appearance you want is the hard part. As for svosh's tutorials, I think I mentioned in the now closed request thread that svosh leaves in a French dominated area, and even with English as a first language, is just used to French. I live in a largely Hispanic area, while I myself am not. I typically have to go off the few words I know in Spanish, even though my first language is English, and because of that, my grammar with English is usually poor as well. (I occasionally put adjectives after nouns in English. :rolleyes: ) For him, it's worse, because the law sort of asserts French over English where he lives, while where I live, it just a matter of "Do you want to understand everyone, or just a small group of people." They're really very good tutorials, you just have to read slowly. I've actually learned a lot from svosh over the past several months, he's a helpful guy.
 Jolly Boots
08-17-2005, 3:24 PM
NOW I see...so it is possible to create a new item but can't have its own model. Correct? And I'm not blaming svosh for his tutorial, I'm blaming myself for being an idiot.
 Mono_Giganto
08-17-2005, 3:46 PM
You got it now. :) That's true for armor at least. Weapons and headgear can have their own models.
 Jolly Boots
08-17-2005, 5:58 PM
Thanks. Sorry for being such a pain.
 Mono_Giganto
08-17-2005, 6:21 PM
It's no problem, I'm sure I wasn't any different when I first joined...
Page: 1 of 1