Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

"Roger, Roger"

Page: 1 of 1
 Havoc Stryphe
08-02-2001, 1:19 PM
LucasArts has always developed their Star Wars Titles with very authentic sounds and dialogue. And I have always enjoyed that aspect in their games. However, in a RTS game unit sounds can become very repetitive and down right annoying at times. Blizzard has done well with avoiding that by making each unit have multiple phrases and even some light-hearted comebacks for their units as well.

All that being said, I hope that Lucasarts follows suit by giving some "depth" to the units by having multiple sound samples for each unit. Force Commander was their first Star Wars RTS, and in truth the sounds got very repetitive very fast. Please take a little more time with the unit sounds, and a little more space for data files. Or I pity the poor souls who play the Trade Federation, for I fear they will hear the Phrase "Roger, Roger" uttered quite often.

Thoughts, comments, anybody feel the same way?

[Battle droid] "Curascant? That does not compute....um.....ah...Your under arrest!" [/end Battle droid]

Silly droids.... :D
 Darth_Rommel
08-02-2001, 1:22 PM
We can only hope:(
 Havoc Stryphe
08-02-2001, 1:47 PM
Isn't it sad...but sadly, in truth, it IS all we can do....hope and wait...

:eek: :( :rolleyes: explode
 Dorsk8199
08-02-2001, 2:24 PM
Wow I just got done reading your last post right as the smiley (edit) blew up (I wrote expl oded but it put a smiley in there). That was cool.

I agree with your idea though. I loved the voices in Warcraft II. "What is it?" "Your the boss" "We move" "Yesh me lord" "Alright" "For the alliance".....ahhhh memories.
 Paragon_Leon
08-02-2001, 2:33 PM
Warcraft 2 had it right in the sense that if you click multiple times on units, they respond by saying other things eventually. it was simple and linear, but still better than going crazy with hearing the same thing over and over again.

maybe only infantry should get sounds...
 JediMasterEd
08-02-2001, 2:38 PM
you think only infantry should get sounds. what about aircraft? they have people in them too! you should be able to hear them.
 Havoc Stryphe
08-02-2001, 2:59 PM
exactly! While Warcraft II's sounds were simplistic and linear, it at least broke up the monotony of the repetitious nature of RTS sounds. Starcraft was the same way.

LucasArts has alway sprovided very authentic, true to nature game sounds. But now just add MORE of them, add some depth to the units. that's all...

Yes even the Mechs and aircraft, it would make for a submersive gameplay. As well as, a "enjoyable" replayability factor.

Perhaps I ask too much.... alas what is a fanboy to do? :(
 Paragon_Leon
08-02-2001, 3:04 PM
it could work...
i suddenly think of something..
if they would do aircraft-taunts like Warcraft 2, you could get the usual 'Roger' by clicking a couple of times, but clicking more would get: 'Cut the chatter, Red Two !'

i would go nuts...
 Havoc Stryphe
08-02-2001, 3:07 PM
sweet!

or "passing through the magnetic field"

or "look at the size of that thing"

or "stay on target"

What fun they could have! :D
 Paragon_Leon
08-02-2001, 5:00 PM
keep in mind that those are all existing rebel-quotes and that there are also Naboo-quotes from TPM and Empire quotes from Vader in SW.

that's three civs ready to taunt !

hehe..
 Tie Guy
08-02-2001, 5:00 PM
or things like:

"engaging enemy"

"enemy sighted"

"we're pinned down"

"target aquired"

That way you could know what they were doing, or if something was getting attack or attacking.
 Paragon_Leon
08-02-2001, 5:03 PM
those are Red Alert quotes, aren't they ?
 Com Raven
08-02-2001, 5:12 PM
Hehe, yes at least some are ...

Hey, we all are talking about SC, WC, AoK, C & C RA II ,and of course SWGB

Any of you played Dark Colony as well ??

Was fun, first time (and I think last too) I had bleeding mechs and buildings ....
Page: 1 of 1