Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Newbie map idea... need major help!

Page: 1 of 1
 Relyt Tsueg
08-13-2005, 2:09 PM
I was playing some of the cool custom maps that people have made for Battlefront and I decided to make one myself. I downloaded BFBuilder and read the documentation, but other than learning how to place command posts I am clueless.

My map idea is to create Hypori: Last Stand, with a crashed Acclamator :vsd: in the center for the clones (preferrably a destructable Endor commandpost in the middle of it), and spawn points surrounding it for the CIS (who would only be able to spawn SBDs on this level, but would have an advantage in tickets). This map would only be playable in the CW era. Wreakage, such as in Mos Eisley or Geonosis, would scatter the map and serve as cover. However, I have no idea how to find or place these objects or adjust these setttings.

This is my very first attempt at modding with any game... so I could use a lot of help.

Oh, yeah... my first post. :)
 Relyt Tsueg
08-14-2005, 1:42 AM
Update: I just played my map on Battlefront and I figured out how to limit the CIS to only SBDs!

However, it is still a flat, objectless, vehicleless, propless map with two command posts. Point is: I still need lots of help! Please post tips and such!!
 SBF_Dann_Boeing
08-31-2005, 10:50 PM
k the main idea for placing objects is ODF. These are the object files. First what you have to do is take the object ODF's you want out of the Assets\Shipped Worlds\ (then the folder labelled with the name of the world you want the objects from). Just copy all of the files found in the ODF folder and MSH folder to the corrosponding ODF and MSH folder for your mission (ex. DataMod1\worlds\DataMod1\ODF). After you've done this, open up your mission in Zeroedit and go into object edit mode (found in one of the top toolbars) and then on the left hand side of the screen there is a button that says "Browse" click that and select the ODF's from your folder, click OK, then you will see a Select button and Place button at the top of the lefthand toolbar, click the place button and then with the cursor place your object on the map where you want it. Your object should appear at the end of your cursor by the way, if it doesn't make sure you've copied all of the MSH files you needed to, MSH files are the textures for the objects.

Other objects found in every mission such as command posts or vehicle spawn points can be found in your common folder in your mission's data folder. If you have any problems or questions just post them here.

If you want you can disregard all of the above and search through the Zeroedit Reference guide for clearer instructions but it might take longer.
 SBF_Dann_Boeing
08-31-2005, 10:53 PM
Oh yeah one more thing, adding the right vehicles to your map is a whole other story, if you want learn how to do that just download this tutorial by Majin Revan here http://gametoast.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewdownloaddetails&lid=64)
 SBF_Dann_Boeing
08-31-2005, 10:56 PM
Sry ONE last thing heres a tutorial that will help you through working with land and sky textures, landscaping, and a few other tiny things: http://www.saturnlabs.net/Tutorial_Lava/URD_page_00.html)
 Leviathan
09-01-2005, 1:36 PM
GameToast.com will certainly be useful in the near future...
 SBF_Dann_Boeing
09-02-2005, 5:35 PM
Yeah theres another new tutorial on gametoast here (http://gametoast.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewdownloaddetails&lid=133) Probably the best one released yet :thumbs1:.
 Leviathan
09-03-2005, 12:40 PM
And do not forget that : If you can't find your answers here, then go to GameToast.com... ;)
 Relyt Tsueg
09-15-2005, 2:25 AM
Yeah theres another new tutorial on gametoast here (http://gametoast.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewdownloaddetails&lid=133) Probably the best one released yet :thumbs1:.

I have downloaded that and followed the instructions. It was extremely easy to limit my map to CW era, but now I am unable to open projects after I created them.

I downloaded the BFBuilderProWIP030605 file as the tutorial said. However, when I click "Open Project" I get a message that says "An error has occured on the script in this page." then some other stuff, including "Error: file not found." Then it says "Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?" If I click yes or no, the result is the same: it just puts me back to before I clicked Open Project.

If I create a new map, it will create the folder, but it won't open to the "Edit world" "Munge world" type menu, but that same message pops up!

What is going on?
 Relyt Tsueg
09-16-2005, 1:17 AM
Problem solved! BFBuilderProWIP030605.zip, when you unzip it, is a file called "0 BFBuilder Pro". On a fluke, I decided to rename that file "BFBuilder", thinking maybe it had to do with the "File not found." I guess it did, 'cause it is working great now!

Out of my original goals, I have so far accomplished the following:
CIS is limited to only SBDs.
CIS has more tickets than Republic to start with.
The map is only playable in the CW era.
The music for the map (Geonosis, I guess-I didn't change it) is too my liking.

I am now working on placing objects, which the tutorial from gametoast (thanks SBF_Dan_Boeing!!!) will guide me through. However, I need to figure out how to place some Acclamator-class ships as props crashed in the background (in the distance, so you can't reach them... but they'll look pretty). Also, if I could figure out how to change the heroes (OOM-9 for the CIS--looking at wikipedia, I guess he "died" at Hypori; and a mysterious clone wielding a lightsaber for the Republic, namely General Relyt Tsueg) that would be cool. But I think that is maybe a little too ambitious-for now.

Also, if anyone has any other suggestions for this map, fire away! After all, this is my first custom map, so I need all the suggestions I can get to learn from your mistakes... and to make it a fun map that people will actually want to play again and again.
 SBF_Dann_Boeing
09-16-2005, 10:23 PM
Your welcome! Good luck with the map! :thumbsup:
 Relyt Tsueg
09-18-2005, 12:37 AM
I have been able to find and import the Republic Acclamator-class ships, but, like every other item I place, I can't figure out anyway to rotate it (I can edit elevation, but that is it)! It is probably pretty simple, and I just missed it, but I check the tutorial and can't find anything. So... once again... help!
 Relyt Tsueg
09-20-2005, 5:07 PM
[Update: I have figured out how to rotate an object, so I figured I would pass it on to all of you reading this forum. While in Zeroedit, after an object has been placed, select it (while still in object mode). Hold down the 'x' key, and the box around the object will change to a milky-white color, and there will be 3 rings around the object. While holding down 'x', you can rotate it differently by clicking-and-dragging with different mouse buttons (left-click, right-click, and center wheel). If I was keen on my coordinates I could explain which combination does which type of rotation... but if you try each one out, you should be able to figure it out.] --This little bit should be in the "Star Wars: Battlefront Modder's Tutorial" by Master Noth and others.

My next problem centers around the CIS Spider Walker. I was watching Clone Wars Chapters 20 and 21 again for reference, and I noticed some of these vehicles on Hypori, so I decided to include them. I am familiar with placing vehicle spawn points on maps (I was able to do a snowspeeder on one of my other maps), but my attempts at creating a spawn point for the walker have met with failure. I named the spawn point CP1_walker (which may be the problem, since I was just going off of a guess). In the mission LUA file, I used SetMemoryPoolSize("EntityWalker", -2) from the Geonosis LUA, which could also have something to do with it.

Finally, the ground texture looks crummy so far. I read the Lava World tute at saturnlabs, but I am not sure what the layers of textures are for Tatooine maps 1 and 2.
 SBF_Dann_Boeing
09-24-2005, 4:13 PM
Don't rename vehicles spawns that messes them up. you have to look at the object properties panel on the right and enter the names of the odf files for that crawler under one of the CIS text boxes.

For your next problem assuming that your going to try to use tatooine textures, you need to edit the colors and paint the ground a orangish-yellow color so that the textures aren't so bright they make your eyes bleed.
 reDan499
10-22-2005, 9:51 PM
cant you just color the grid the same, or darker color of the regular texture?
 Relyt Tsueg
10-31-2005, 6:03 PM
I did darken the ground color (it was pretty bright in game, just like you said). However, my map looks like a Tatooine... I will need to reddened it up a bit, with a smokey sky. And smoke effects. I also got the walker working.

I have updated my progress a bit more detailed here! ( http://www.gametoast.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2136&sid=ea0180a4b34a5a7dabd0e88e9ca21563) Pics, unit types, all there. Thanks SBF_Dan_Boeing and Leviathan!
 alienfrommars
04-22-2006, 11:41 AM
hope you finish soon, I would really like to play this map, being a fan of the series you mentioned (Clone Wars, right? It's been a while)
Page: 1 of 1