Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Hyperspace routes - good or bad idea?

Page: 1 of 1
 DarthMaulUK
08-09-2005, 1:40 PM
Having heard recently that to get your fleets around the galaxy, there will be 'Hyperspace routes' between planets. It seems that these will be a key tactical feature in the game.

Do you think this is a good idea? Or should they be looking at something like in Rebellion/Supremacy, where you could drag your fleet to any part of the galaxy?

DMUK
 Dark Sad Shadow
08-09-2005, 2:04 PM
well in rebellion that featured really was hard to control, i hope in this game they upgrade that system, but could be nice, almost dying and then fffffffffffwwwwwwwwoooooooooooomsh your backup army helps :D
 Darth Andrew
08-09-2005, 3:29 PM
Hmm. I think instead a hyperspace route should give a huge speed bonus. Such as it would take a day or two for a fleet to arrive to it's destination traveling via hyperspace lane, but if a fleet traveld to a planet that had no hyperspace lane connecting the fleet's jumpoff point to it's destination, it would take a week or more for it to arrive since the route is uncharted. This would be useful if the Rebels wanted to attack Coruscant, but didn't have the amount of resources to capture the other planets that are connected to Coruscant by hyperspace lanes. The downside is that the Imperials could find about the incoming fleet, and could muster forces to defend the city planet.
 FroZticles
08-09-2005, 8:30 PM
I think hyperspace might work like from Naboo you can go to Tatooine and Geonosis for example. But you can't go from Naboo to Dantooine without going Naboo>Corellia>Dantooine
 swphreak
08-09-2005, 9:22 PM
Doesn't bother me one bit. It's part of the strategy. They have it in Master of Orion 2 and 3.
 Igor_Cavkov
08-09-2005, 9:32 PM
sounds intresting..
 Darth Alec
08-10-2005, 6:43 AM
HyperSpace lanes sound like a good idea and gives more stratigick (sp?) depth.
"hmmm go the fast way and maybe be seen, or go the slow way and not be seen".
 OverlordAngelus
08-10-2005, 4:20 PM
Hmm. I think instead a hyperspace route should give a huge speed bonus. Such as it would take a day or two for a fleet to arrive to it's destination traveling via hyperspace lane, but if a fleet traveld to a planet that had no hyperspace lane connecting the fleet's jumpoff point to it's destination, it would take a week or more for it to arrive since the route is uncharted. This would be useful if the Rebels wanted to attack Coruscant, but didn't have the amount of resources to capture the other planets that are connected to Coruscant by hyperspace lanes. The downside is that the Imperials could find about the incoming fleet, and could muster forces to defend the city planet.

I thought that is how they said it would work and that the number of trade routes are also a factor in how many resources a planet generates.
 lukeiamyourdad
08-12-2005, 4:37 AM
Doesn't bother me at all. I think it'll be interesting in terms of strategy. Blockading these hyperspace lanes could be crucial in intercepting certain convoys.
 starmark2k
08-12-2005, 10:10 AM
Hyperspace lanes will add a new level of tactics that a game like this proberly needs. If you could just go to any planet from any planet it will make the game too easy as you could go for all the desent planets first. It will also make defence far more interesting as you will want to hold hyperspace "junctions".
 BeBop
08-12-2005, 4:42 PM
Yes it adds an interesting aspect of strategy to the game. If they effect economy it would be interesting to blockade one and cut off the output of the resources for that world.
 Dagobahn Eagle
08-19-2005, 5:19 AM
That simply means you can't maneouvre freely, doesn it?

I've said it before, I'm saying it again: Deep space, free movement trough it, lots of planets in addition to the movie ones, and randomly generated landscapes for the planetary battles. Play Stars! for a taste of what it's like.
 Jan Gaarni
08-19-2005, 10:54 AM
That simply means you can't maneouvre freely, doesn it?

I've said it before, I'm saying it again: Deep space, free movement trough it, lots of planets in addition to the movie ones, and randomly generated landscapes for the planetary battles. Play Stars! for a taste of what it's like.
But that would mean you can't build a base on the planets, seeing all building will take place out of combat.
 lonepadawan
08-20-2005, 8:28 AM
Sounds good. Means we can blockade routes etc
 Jeff
08-20-2005, 4:23 PM
I think that it is a good idea. It gives the game a more realistic Star Wars feel.
 FroZticles
08-20-2005, 7:29 PM
I'm just going to use my Death Star on every Rebel planet I find.... viable tactic but the galaxy population will be split in half when I'm done :)
 The Saint
08-22-2005, 11:14 PM
Hyperspace Lanes have always existed in Star Wars though. In KotoR II, one of the characters goes over the hyperspace routes in his mind, granted its not for any real specific reason but they still exist. It does add an element to the game, but at the same time it has me worried. To defeat the Rebellion becomes easier since they'll have fewer worlds and the like all the Imperial player has to do is cut off a world and then build up forces for a rush.
 Dagobahn Eagle
08-23-2005, 5:25 AM
But that would mean you can't build a base on the planets
Nope. The base would just be generated, too. You build a base with Barracks and a Workshop, and the game generates a Barracks and Workshop when the battle starts.
 Jan Gaarni
08-23-2005, 11:05 AM
Hmmm, yeah, I guess. :)

I don't know, I'm not sure I like that aproach.

We'll have to see how that works before complaining though.
 lukeiamyourdad
08-23-2005, 7:09 PM
It worked for Rome: Total War...
 jokemaster
08-24-2005, 12:40 PM
Except that they're also less likely to be noticed if they take the unknown routes.

Like many have said, they should offer a speed bonus, that way you're not cut off if they block 3 key planets and prepare for a rush.

I also wonder if you should be able to lay ambushes for merchants and stuff to get emergency resources when you need it.
Page: 1 of 1