Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Stupid question(s). (repacking pk3's, logging in)

Page: 1 of 1
 riceplant
08-06-2005, 9:31 PM
I don't know why, but I feel like asking a stupid question. So here goes: If I extract all my pk3s, then recompress them in 'Store' mode, will I decrease my load times? Also, does anyone know why I have to log onto the forum each session, even though I check 'remember me'?
 acdcfanbill
08-07-2005, 4:59 PM
re-packaging your pk3's wont help at all, in fact, i would bet that would then be unable to join any pure servers since your pk3's will come up with the wrong checksums. to decrease load times, lowering settings helps, or getting a faster harddrive/ram.

as to loggin in every single time, you might check your browser settings to make sure you have cookies enabled.
 shukrallah
08-07-2005, 8:47 PM
Yeah, the forum doesn't log me in everytime either, and Im using firefox. It used always log me in on the old LF :-\

And yeah, acdcfanbill is right, you won't be able to join servers. I think someone from Raven said that RAM powers OpenGL, and the more you have the better it performs.

Did a little search and I found the thread:

http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=40003&highlight=slow+load+time)
 riceplant
08-07-2005, 9:52 PM
OK, I checked my load times on JO (Uses pretty much the same graphics engine, right?), and here are the results:
High-quality | 1:05 0:07
Normal | 0:33 0:07
Fast | 0:27 0:06
Fastest | 0:26 0:07?
The test was the same as mentioned in the other thread (Times from 'map kejim_base' to the objective screen and clicking to continue to the objectives screen), my computer specs:WinXP
PIV Celeron 1.7GHz
768MB Ram?
Nvidia GeForce 6600 GT Driver version 7.7.7.2 (I think it's 256MB GDDR, can't find the box)

Load times seem to take longer in JA, though, and also I get framerate problems on highest settings, lowers to ~20 with lots of action, very rarely as low as 10. The load times are only marginally better than Ravens, and the re-load times are worse. Is something wrong, or are my expectations too high for my computer to keep up with (I play with all settings maxed out)?
 LightNinja
08-08-2005, 5:38 AM
uhmm i have the same problem about logging in LF and in the old LF i didn't have it :(, i use firefox..
 acdcfanbill
08-08-2005, 10:50 PM
as far as i can tell, JA seems more graphically intensive to me as well.
 El Sitherino
08-08-2005, 10:52 PM
When logging in, uncheck then recheck the box, then sign in. Go and check your saved passwords and such to see if it recorded.
 Zappa_0
08-09-2005, 10:20 PM
It was doing that to me, but I use IE, but it seemed to get fixed by its self.
 Crow_Nest
08-10-2005, 4:56 AM
Make sure that you do not delete any cookies. And for firefox, check to make sure your cookies are set to "untill they expire". It may be currently set to every time firefox exits.
 riceplant
08-10-2005, 9:30 AM
Heh, yeah, I have enough wits about me to check my cookie settings. The thing is, other sites store my login, I only have to log in here. It seems to log me out at random. This time, I was logged in, but last time I had to log in. I'll probably have to log in later, too. Maybe the cookies are expiring too soon, or something? I don't know about these things.
 shukrallah
08-10-2005, 12:56 PM
It seems like the next day I am logged out.

JKA is more graphically intensive, but I only get around 10-20 FPS difference (well, that can be a lot...)

Don't some Nvidea cards have small problems with JKA?
Page: 1 of 1